• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

Final boss question (spoilers sort of)

What party did you go in with for it and what Persona did you use? I'm thinking of fusing Satan to go in for the overkill while having Ryuji/Ann in my party, the former for being a damage dispenser, the latter to cover potential enemy buffs and both for having Charge/Concentration. That said I'm not sure who to go in for as my fourth party member.
I wanted Haru with me because she does insane damage but I need someone with the insane sustain, which would be either Makoto or Morgana. I think the former would be better as an all purpose solution and she has stuff that can cover our aliments/debuffs but I didn't max out her Social Link which means I'm lacking some survival features with her.
I honestly just rolled with Morgana/Yusuke/Haru, which isn't exactly the best team but the damage output was good enough. Not like my team composition would have mattered though, cuz I had debilitate and Yoshitsune who broke the final boss lol.

Opa-Pa

Man, P5's popularity is great because it means there's a bright future ahead for the series... But it also means I get to read thrice the amount of newcomers complaining about insta kill moves and game over on MC's death on Twitter lol, it's getting on my nerves.

It's pretty fucked up that I'm only nine hours behind you and still at the beginning of Palace
in my first playthrough.

Same here, holy shit.

Honestly I'm starting to get a bit self conscious about this lol, I'm near 140 hours at the end of my first playthrough.

Are we 100% sure going into the PS4 menu stops playtime? I know it stops the game itself, but I go into the menu every time I let the game alone, so idle time shouldn't really add more than an hour if anything...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, P5's popularity is great because it means there's a bright future ahead for the series... But it also means I get to read thrice the amount of newcomers complaining about insta kill moves on Twitter lol, it's getting on my nerves.

Same here, holy shit.

Honestly I'm starting to get a bit self conscious about this lol, I'm near 140 hours at the end of my first playthrough.

Are we 100% sure going into the PS4 menu stops playtime? I know it stops the game itself, but I go into the menu every time I let the game alone, so idle time shouldn't really add more than an hour if anything...

It definitely stops the timer, yeah.

Hero

You don't have to re-level stats but you do have to re-do confidants. That said, if you maxed a confidant, they'll give you an item and you do get to keep some of their benefits when you can access them again. With that in mind, I recommend maxing Fortune and Temperance on your first run through either way. Money, compendium, equipment/accessories all carry over as well.

I think the stats are the most taxing thing about confidants. I had plenty of time to max everyone and do everything on my second playthrough.

The confidants aren't too bad I guess if you combined Fortune and Temperance and if money carries over.

It has been 90 hours

Why am I still singing along to the battle theme

Why am I not sick of it yet

Hahahahaha, too real.

Same here, holy shit.

Since you can't pause mid conversation or battle or anything, I end up idling on those ALL the time. Especially while checking/commenting on GAF and referencing Confidant guides. And going to the bathroom. And making lunch. And taking a phone call.

11/21 spoilers.

Got to the big twist last night. Super invested and loved it, but the more I think about it, the more I can't think about the plot holes a bit? Unless I'm mistaken. Futaba needed a way to pull Akechi out of the metaverse or else after going back up he would have clearly been like "what the hell I'm in the metaverse?". Which is where the remote metaverse activation comes in that she mentions at the end of the day in your bedroom. So why was the protagonist's phone even necessary to begin with? Couldn't she have just activated Akechi's phone and ignore Sae and the protag's phone completely? Or did I misunderstand something? How would she have pulled Akechi out of the metaverse if she couldn't activate the app on his phone? And doesn't the metaverse app lady talk every time you leave saying "returning to real world, thanks" or something?

DNAbro

How long did your NG+ playthrough take? I have been trying not to fast foward like voiced dialouge scenes but otherwise have been skipping a bunch of stuff

It took about 50 hours. It took me 80 hours on my first playthorugh. I skipped almost all skippable dialogue except for stuff I didn't see the first time. A lot of that time was spent fusing and grinding things out.

I havent been skipping anything on new game plus and have really enjoyed regaining certain perspectives. The lead up to the 3rd palace has actually been more enjoyable on NG+

Farming the R
eaper feels cheap but I'm still doing it, meh. Gonna be lvl 99 before doing 6th palace, should have prepared by making million Growth 3 cards and just sprinkle those to every persona.

RalchAC

11/21 spoilers.

Got to the big twist last night. Super invested and loved it, but the more I think about it, the more I can't think about the plot holes a bit? Unless I'm mistaken. Futaba needed a way to pull Akechi out of the metaverse or else after going back up he would have clearly been like "what the hell I'm in the metaverse?". Which is where the remote metaverse activation comes in that she mentions at the end of the day in your bedroom. So why was the protagonist's phone even necessary to begin with? Couldn't she have just activated Akechi's phone and ignore Sae and the protag's phone completely? Or did I misunderstand something? How would she have pulled Akechi out of the metaverse if she couldn't activate the app on his phone? And doesn't the metaverse app lady talk every time you leave saying "returning to real world, thanks" or something?

You leave the Metaverse by crossing the same spot where you got in. They say that in the beginning of the game when Ryuji and MC bring Ann back and it's how you leave Palaces during gameplay. So the idea was that the phone would bring both Sae and Akechi to the Metaverse, then he'd kill cognitive police agent and cognitive MC, then he'd go back and return to the Real World once he crosses the spot where he met Sae.

On the other hand, Sae would hear Futaba's messages while in the Metaverse.
Then go back to talk to MC. Heading to the Interrogation Room meant she would leave the Metaverse by crossing the spot he used to enter and meet real MC

You can ask Futaba for extra information about the plan.

Dragner

11/21 spoilers.

Goro introduces the police into the metaverse to get joker then goed bsck to the real world with them so he doesnt hear the metaverse thingy, they use the prot phone to get him into the metaverse again. There is the cognitive version of joker (because Sae believes he is there) so both Sae and the phone were needed

timnich

I'm more than halfway through the second palace and finally have freedom to do whatever I want. The number of options have me worrying that I am "playing the game wrong"...Should I be focusing on completing each palace as quickly as possible and then using the excess time to build social links? Are there any social links that are more beneficial than others? I am also not sure how much time to spend in Mementos, should I always push until I find the locked door?

You leave the Metaverse by crossing the same spot where you got in. They say that in the beginning of the game when Ryuji and MC bring Ann back and it's how you leave Palaces during gameplay. So the idea was that the phone would bring both Sae and Akechi to the Metaverse, then he'd kill cognitive police agent and cognitive MC, then he'd go back and return to the Real World once he crosses the spot where he met Sae.

On the other hand, Sae would hear Futaba's messages while in the Metaverse.
Then go back to talk to MC. Heading to the Interrogation Room meant she would leave the Metaverse by crossing the spot he used to enter and meet real MC

You can ask Futaba for extra information about the plan.
Ahhhhhh interesting! Totally forgot that detail. Thank you.

I'm more than halfway through the second palace and finally have freedom to do whatever I want. The number of options have me worrying that I am "playing the game wrong"...Should I be focusing on completing each palace as quickly as possible and then using the excess time to build social links? Are there any social links that are more beneficial than others? I am also not sure how much time to spend in Mementos, should I always push until I find the locked door?

Short Answer: just do what feels right to you. Just dont put off the palaces too long. Keep a week at least til the deadline.

Long Answer: Mementos, wait it out until you have enough requests that it feels worth while. Then clear as deep as required for all the requests you have. I like to get palaces done early in the deadline, but will wait until I get a couple link rank ups I want first. Suchas getting a party member up to a valuable skill im near.
Damn lol

I have my eyes set on him and
Lucifer
, but it's gonna be a while to fuse them.
I used the yen cost to fuse Yoshitsune from having maxed Strength link

Rodin

Short Answer: just do what feels right to you. Just dont put off the palaces too long. Keep a week at least til the deadline.

Long Answer: Mementos, wait it out until you have enough requests that it feels worth while. Then clear as deep as required for all the requests you have. I like to get palaces done early in the deadline, but will wait until I get a couple link rank ups I want first. Suchas getting a party member up to a valuable skill im near.
I used the yen cost to fuse Yoshitsune from having maxed Strength link
I have that too, but i never heard of many of demons required and i don't have the money atm, so i'm gonna have to farm a bit in Mementos and check a guide to do it as quick as possible.

CSX

so atlus usa misnamed one of the persona dlcs. Two dlcs named Asterius and Asterius Picaro.

I think the 2nd one is suppose to be Ardiane based on the icon pic

I still got 7€ left from that free 10€ PSN promotion so I'm thinking of picking up some DLC costumes or personas. Any recommendations which ones to get? I'm thinking about getting the DAN costumes since they seem pretty different from the rest. What does the accessory you get with those ones do?
Also, is there any way to see what lvl the personas are that you can buy? It would be lame to buy some of them only to find out they're low level and useless.

Philippo

Feels so good when you spend time breeding a Persona that turns out extremely well made and skilled for your level.
I've made a Valkyrie that is basically a physical beast.

Thinking about picking up P5 as I enjoyed P3P and really loved P4G(Which was my first persona game)

Are the reports of the localization issues just overblown or will it really detract me from the experience?

LiK

Thinking about picking up P5 as I enjoyed P3P and really loved P4G(Which was my first persona game)

Are the reports of the localization issues just overblown or will it really detract me from the experience?

Overblown. The issues are mainly frontloaded in the early parts but I thought it was very good overall. It's like their localization team got better as the project went on. Loved the English dub for the most part as well.

Vic_Viper

What is up with the blank cards? And how do you turn Personas into skill cards and equip-able items?

Im in between the 2nd and 3rd dungeon atm so im still pretty early in the game.

Any of the DLC Personas worth getting that came out today? Got the SMTIV outfits!

Guess Who

Banned

I felt like the further I got into the game, the less I was bothered by the localization. There's definitely some rough lines, especially near the start, but it's mostly fine.

The VAs are also (mostly) great, even when they have to deliver the rough lines.

Toki767

What is up with the blank cards? And how do you turn Personas into skill cards and equip-able items?

Any of the DLC Personas worth getting that came out today? Got the SMTIV outfits!

You get access to it in like...August I think.

Bluecondor

The blank cards will be explained to you in the story shortly. You can't do anything with them until they are addressed in the story.

Bluecondor

I have read some of the localization complaints. People need to lower their standards.

It is a near perfect translation of a Japanese game to English - which can't be easy to do on a game of this scale with the complex issues being discussed and presented throughout the game.

Vic_Viper

The blank cards will be explained to you in the story shortly. You can't do anything with them until they are addressed in the story.

Ok thanks! Thought I was missing something lol.

When do I start getting the Auto magic attacks?

Also, where can I get SP recovery items? Just figured out you can make coffee at Leblanc for some which is super helpful but takes time to do. Are there any stores to buy them other than the 5sp items?

RalchAC

I felt like the further I got into the game, the less I was bothered by the localization. There's definitely some rough lines, especially near the start, but it's mostly fine.

The VAs are also (mostly) great, even when they have to deliver the rough lines.

Game localization is usually a collaborative effort, as far as I've been told in the various localization courses and master classes I've assisted due to my studies (I'm doing a translation degree, I like games, so I'm kind of interested in the process). As far as I've been told, there usually is a group of translators that work on a document (an Excel more often than not, IIRC) and a person that "unifies" the text. Corrects everything, unifies the different styles and that kind of stuff.

A bad translator could be the reason why this happens. The editor in chief isn't going to go through both scripts, especially not in a game as text heavy as Persona 5. He'll just read the draft that's already been translated. So if they've hired new people recently, it could be the reason why the English script is weaker than in previous games.

I dunno how dubbing works in the localization process, TBH.

Overblown. The issues are mainly frontloaded in the early parts but I thought it was very good overall. It's like their localization team got better as the project went on. Loved the English dub for the most part as well.

I have read some of the localization complaints. People need to lower their standards.

It is a near perfect translation of a Japanese game to English - which can't be easy to do on a game of this scale with the complex issues being discussed and presented throughout the game.

Thanks all. I figured as much. I'm sure it'll be great! A few rough lines here and there won't bother me much. Was just a bit worried when they said the characters lost most of their personality during the localization compared the JP version

Ferrio

Banned

Also, where can I get SP recovery items? Just figured out you can make coffee at Leblanc for some which is super helpful but takes time to do. Are there any stores to buy them other than the 5sp items?

If you're looking for SP stuff you might wanna raise Tae's confidant levels, she sells some nice accessories that restore SP. Extremely helpful,
especially early on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I've never seen a game as aggressive in trying to make absolutely everything easy for the player as P4G lol. You have to actively try to ignore most mechanics to not end up grossly overpowered haha.

the game actually feels a lot harder than 5 at least erly on (its still only me and yosuke and enemies take like a third of my health with 1 attack >_>)

Opa-Pa

Localization is actually one of Atlus' worst and decent to good at best. It's just that it's functional enough so that you won't notice issues unless you're looking for them in most cases.

That being said it doesn't really ruin the game IMO so go for it.

the game actually feels a lot harder than 5 at least erly on (its still only me and yosuke and enemies take like a third of my health with 1 attack >_>)

It starts a bit tough and I think its normal mode is harder than 5's for the most part, but the game will be handing you skill upgrades, personas and stuff like that like it's nobody's business in no time, you'll see.

Bluecondor

I'm not sure about the auto magic attacks. The SP recovery items are on their way for you as well in the story. The Leblanc coffee is a good option for you based on where you currently are in the game.

There were some lines people were trying to harp on that were actually fine,

early on Kobayakawa says: "Honestly, I hesitated on accepting someone like you, but there were some circumstances on our side..."

Which reads really awkwardly, but when spoken theres noticeable pausing and thinking that makes the line natural.

However other lines even when spoken like "was a scum" still fail.

The voice acting however never stumbles, even the few times an awkward line is spoken. Overall I'd also agree with the person who said that it seems to get better than further you progress. Most of the awkward lines were definitely front loaded.

Ferrio

Banned
Had my worst death last night. Got ambushed by 4 enemies, they all had physical repel, cast magic shields on themselves, and kept aoe despairing. Tried my hardest to get outta that one, wasn't happening.

LiK

There were some lines people were trying to harp on that were actually fine,

early on Kobayakawa says: "Honestly, I hesitated on accepting someone like you, but there were some circumstances on our side..."

Which reads really awkwardly, but when spoken theres noticeable pausing and thinking that makes the line natural.

However other lines even when spoken like "was a scum" still fail.

The voice acting however never stumbles, even the few times an awkward line is spoken. Overall I'd also agree with the person who said that it seems to get better than further you progress. Most of the awkward lines were definitely front loaded.

It reminded me a lot of DanganRonpa's English dub where the early parts for the performances were rough and kinda stiff but the VO got better and better as the game went on. A Gaffer who did one of the characters said they did it in order of sequence so that explained it. I assume the actual text localization was similar for P5. Altho I guess only Atlus USA can tell us that.

silva1991

Had my worst death last night. Got ambushed by 4 enemies, they all had physical repel, cast magic shields on themselves, and kept aoe despairing. Tried my hardest to get outta that one, wasn't happening.

Lol, that's an interesting encounter. Only super Yoshitsune can help you there.

Top Bottom