• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Thinking of picking up a used PS3 after beating this. I never had one so never played the Arena games despite owning copies of both. Worth it? Would be good for PS2 classic versions of FES, 4, DDS and Nocturne as well - how do these run on PS3? I have PS2 copies but not keen on running those on my HDTV.

More than worth it IMO. But for Nocturne be careful. The first print run was buggy as shit. Take 30 mins to load a single battle on my disc.

I just reached the treasure in the 6th palace and I'm really struggling to find motivation to continue. The dungeons are such a slog and I don't even enjoy doing them anymore. I've maxed all but one social link and even the regular days are just exercises in finding ways to burn time now. This game just feels way too long for its own good, I want to finish it, but I don't want to spend 10s of more hours to see how it ends. I'm tired of the pacing. I'm tired of the all the pointless ambient dialogue and text chats that say absolutely nothing of worth, but I'm forced to endure every calendar day.

for me, easily the most wearing aspect of the game. endlessly repetitious, &, rather than making the characters more believable, instead ends up making them more 2-dimensional :) ...

really enjoying the game, but the writing, especially the over-all story-telling & the core group dialog, is just greatly inferior to p3/4, imo...

ramyeon

More than worth it IMO. But for Nocturne be careful. The first print run was buggy as shit. Take 30 mins to load a single battle on my disc.
Never had any issues with my PS2 version. Although it's the European print (Lucifer's Call not Nocturne and includes Dante) - I'm guessing the PS2 classic version is based off this on the EU PSN.

Jachaos

I finished my playthrough of Persona 5 tonight completed save clocked in at 101 hours and choosing Tae as my romance target. I fell in love with this game pretty quickly and it now easily my GOTY. I grew up on PC RPG's & JRPG's but this has been first JRPG in years as I feel the quality of JRPG's has been pretty poor the last 10 years or so. This was also my first Persona game and I think I am hooked, I wish I had jumped in sooner but I think I am now a customer for life. I ordered a Vita and P4G which should be arriving on Friday and I can't waut to jump in...

P4G is very charming. Completely different atmosphere. I love P5, amazing game, but I think the dynamic of the P4 cast can't be beat, and its soundtrack is 10/10 too. Enjoy.

BouncyFrag

*vomits profusley*

Palace 7
Oh god I just did a long section with rats why is there another one right away
I got serious
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 AND Dragon Age: Origins trapped in the fade flashbacks with those sections. There is no need to drag these levels out so long.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I got serious
Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 AND Dragon Age: Origins trapped in the fade flashbacks with those sections. There is no need to drag these levels out so long.

Palace 3 is still way longer. GAF hyperbole is quite something...

stryke

Phew finally finished.

What a great game. Will need to learn some of the more intricate persona mechanics on the next run. Some of the fusions I'm seeing here are crazy compared to what I got in the end.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Regarding the discussion above
I actually liked that palace 7 was an ordeal. May it feel more rewarding to overcome it.

Nimby

Banned
Palace 3 is still way longer. GAF hyperbole is quite something...

Yeah.
Palace 3 was the hardest and longest one for me. But I ended up enjoying it probably the most along with the 7th dungeon. I loved all of the dungeons in this game really.

Dungeon ranking
7=3>4=6=8>2>5>1

Opa-Pa

I enjoyed the mazes quite a lot in Palace 7, the problem is that it should have had only three, not four. Also the NPC "negotiations" were ultimately pointless and got in the way, sucks because the fight themselves were cool.

Cleared at 97:31 and was left with a "Well I guess that's that" kind of impression after it ended. Compared to "Fuck sleep I need to see what comes next" impression I had when I started. I'm not even sure why.

Also, some quick clean 1080 shots of the credit roll

MTrenBHD

0XmQOIsr

http://i.imgbox.com/FbWCf7Ha
http://i.imgbox.com/qOYU4qZo
http://i.imgbox.com/g0YfQMeH
http://i.imgbox.com/nBK6nCTP
http://i.imgbox.com/MlmudgGI
http://i.imgbox.com/OdvI3L91

Thank you for posting these. :)

Regarding the discussion above
I actually liked that palace 7 was an ordeal. May it feel more rewarding to overcome it.

This is bs
this isn't a challenging or fun ordeal this a padded as fuck boring ordeal. The only thing tested is my patience with this mandatory back tracking mechanic

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Palace 7
palace 3 wasn't bogged down with constant story scenes, needing to fuck around with talking to npcs to get letters, and most importantly no fucking rat mazes

But you don't speak to NPC to get letters. You fight minibosses. Like every other palaces. That's pretty disingenuous right there. Rat mazes did suck though.
But it's like...30 mins max of a 100 hours games.

Yeah.
Palace 3 was the hardest and longest one for me. But I ended up enjoying it probably the most along with the 7th dungeon. I loved all of the dungeons in this game really.

Dungeon ranking
7=3>4=6=8>2>5>1

IMO

6>4>5>7>1>2>3. None of them are bad. Perhaps the biggest upgrade over P3 and 4.

A.J.

Banned
This is bs
this isn't a challenging or fun ordeal this a padded as fuck boring ordeal. The only thing tested is my patience with this mandatory back tracking mechanic

It more or less really felt like something you weren't supposed to tackle in one day. The level design was great however in how circular and shortcut based some of the sections could be.

But you don't speak to NPC to get letters. You fight minibosses. Like every other palaces. That's pretty disingenuous right there. Rat mazes did suck though.
But it's like...30 mins max of a 100 hours games.

first letter involves you running around talking to people and dealing with enemies to find a card to get access to a dinner; then a 5 minute scene before the fight.

The second letter involves you running around talking to people and fighting enemies to figure out how to get someone's attention at the pool; then a 5 minute scene before a fight

The third letter mercifully is just a 2-3 minute cur scene and a boss

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
first letter involves you running around talking to people and dealing with enemies to find a card to get access to a dinner; then a 5 minute scene before the fight.

The second letter involves you running around talking to people and fighting enemies to figure out how to get someone's attention at the pool; then a 5 minute scene before a fight

The third letter mercifully is just a 2-3 minute cur scene and a boss

You talk to the one NPC that pops out after you find the door. There is only one and it takes about 20 seconds to find them. It is within one very small room. Then the first restaurant downstairs gives your the card. It it an exceedingly simple thing to do.
Takes less than a minute even blind.

A short dialogue scene before the fight? Comes with a checkpoint so you'll never have to watch it again. You are very, very, very disingenuous. I get that you don't like Persona 5 but your exaggerations won't help anyone.

The pool scene? There are 4 NPCs to talk too. You need to talk to one. Within one room with 3 enemies. Come on.

PK Gaming

for me, easily the most wearing aspect of the game. endlessly repetitious, &, rather than making the characters more believable, instead ends up making them more 2-dimensional :) ...

really enjoying the game, but the writing, especially the over-all story-telling & the core group dialog, is just greatly inferior to p3/4, imo...

How so? The text chains are about as natural as they can get.

The text chains can definitely be a bit repetitive, but they typically have a tidbit of new information or a new reaction or something that further contextualizes a character. I like them for the most part.

You talk to the one NPC that pops out after you find the door. There is only one and it takes about 20 seconds to find them. It is within one very small room. Then the first restaurant downstairs gives your the card. It it an exceedingly simple thing to do.
Takes less than a minute even blind.

A short dialogue scene before the fight? Comes with a checkpoint so you'll never have to watch it again. You are very, very, very disingenuous. I get that you don't like Persona 5 but your exaggerations won't help anyone.

The pool scene? There are 4 NPCs to talk too. You need to talk to one. Within one room with 3 enemies. Come on.

Lucky you
it took me a few laps of both rooms to find the people in question who I needed to talk to, then another few laps of the pool to figure out how to get into the dressing room. This might come as a shock to you but not everyone is going to find the right person or right place to go in these games. If finding these thints were fun that'd be swell, but running around with third eye on looking for the tiny grate you missed or the one npc bubble you didn't see as you ran around in circles is bad pacing, sign posting, and not fun.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Lucky you
it took me a few laps of both rooms to find the people in question who I needed to talk to, then another few laps of the pool to figure out how to get into the dressing room. This might come as a shock to you but not everyone is going to find the right person or right place to go in these games. If finding these thints were fun that'd be swell, but running around with third eye on looking for the tiny grate you missed or the one npc bubble you didn't see as you ran around in circles is bad pacing, sign posting, and not fun.

I hate The Last Of Us. Didn't like it one single bit. Never invented problems with it because I didn't like it. Jesus. Simple dialogue puzzles in taking place IN ONE ROOM fooled you? BULLSHIT. You just don't like the game and are looking for excuses.
Everything you mention TAKES PLACE IN SMALL ROOMS. So yeah...I know you weren't stumped. "Talking to one NPC in a single room was so hard OMG" See all my The Last of Us posts? No? When I hate something I just never mention it.

Everything you mention takes place within one room? Finding the card? One room. Finding the grate? ONE ROOM! My God. How hard is it to explore a SINGLE ROOM!

Just finished the game. Wow...just wow. I'm really just lost for words. Very few games have moved me emotionally like this and I was genuinely sad seeing it all come to a close. But there is this great positive message of hope the game imparts on you in the end that you just can't help but smile as well.

I don't know how Atlus does this every time with the Persona games, but Persona 5 is a masterpiece as well, one of the best games I have ever played alongside Persona 3 and 4.

Time to look forward to Persona 6 while playing all of the other Persona games along the way. These really are experiences that makes me glad to be a gamer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Never had any issues with my PS2 version. Although it's the European print (Lucifer's Call not Nocturne and includes Dante) - I'm guessing the PS2 classic version is based off this on the EU PSN.

??

Why wouldn't you two just recommend him buy the PS2 classics for PS3 instead? Both Nocturne and P3FES are available digitally for dirt cheap.

Or are the digital versions of those games are also affected by stuff like buggy load times?

Opa-Pa

??

Why wouldn't you two just recommend him buy the PS2 classics for PS3 instead? Both Nocturne and P3FES are available digitally for dirt cheap.

Or are the digital versions of those games are also affected by stuff like buggy load times?

I believe physical copies run exactly the same as PS2 classics, so if one has a particular glitch caused by emulation, so will the other. I don't think the Nocturne loading times counts though since that was just a first print run. I played the digital version a couple of years ago too and it had no issues.

The person did mention being interested in the PS2 Classics particularly tho haha.

Lynx_7

??

Nocturne's digital release is mostly fine, from what I've heard. It's DDS and Raidou that apparently got some issues with their PSN releases. Not sure how the Persona games stack up.

Jachaos

So which tracks do you guys think they'll do at the live concert this summer? It'll be the first in a couple of years and so the first one with Persona 5 tracks (except the small launch event, I'm talking concert with the full band). I'm sure there will be P4+P3+Spinoffs tracks in there too, but there will be probably be many P5 tracks.

All of the vocal tracks are a certainty to me, except the 6th Palace song. I think that one's likely but not a lock. I see it like this:

Certainty:
Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There (Intro)
Beneath the Mask (Night)
Last Surprise (Battle)
Life Will Change (Heist)
Rivers in the Desert (Late Boss Battle)
With the Stars and Us (Ending)

Could happen:
Tokyo Daylight (Daily Life)
Awakening + Will Power (Persona awakening+battle)
Keeper of Lust (Mid Boss Battle)
Blooming Villain (Boss Battle)
(Final Boss Battle)
The Days When my Mother was There (4th Dungeon)
The Whims of Fate (6th Dungeon)

Huge maybe:
Phantom (Main Menu) - I could see it as an intro to a short medley after the first couple of songs
Tokyo Emergency (Daily Life)
Layer Cake (Weapons Shop)
Butterfly Kiss (Clinic)
Confession (Talk)
Sunset Bridge (Realization)
Price (3rd Dungeon) - I could see this be part of some medley like they did with P4 Arena tracks
Life Goes On (Exams)
Alleycat (Reflecting) - This might be more wishful thinking. The piano at 2:10 is too good.
What’s Going On (Light Conversations) - Might be more wishful thinking but they've done this kind of track live before. The percussion are just too good.

I have a silly question for all you "Japanese experts" out there: How common are the names of the characters in real life? Are they the equivalents to John, Ryan, Emily, Christine, or are they uncommon? Or are they made up?

zulux21

I have a silly question for all you "Japanese experts" out there: How common are the names of the characters in real life? Are they the equivalents to John, Ryan, Emily, Christine, or are they uncommon? Or are they made up?

I know Haru isn't super uncommon, but it's also not all that common.

it means spring (in the most common usage I know of but...

From Japanese 陽 (haru) meaning "light, sun, male", 春 (haru) meaning "spring" or 晴 (haru) meaning "clear weather". Other kanji or kanji combinations can form this name as well

)

so i mean it's used sometimes in anime. The only reason I know about haru so much is because I have been using it as my first name since persona 3 released in games >.> (I had a D&D character I named Haruka, who kept her identity secret and thus had a bunch of fakes most of which were similar to it so my team mates just called her haru)

it was a tad confusing at times in persona 5 lol.

I do know that I can name at least an anime character for each of the main cast's names aside from ryuji, and ann :p

11/21 STORY SPOILERS

Holy shit this Akechi and Shido "let's summarize everything evil we've done as a casual conversation" is making me laugh so hard. Like holy crap this exposition is hilariously bad. It's like a Bind villain explaining their plan to the hero EXCEPT THERE'S NOBODY ELSE THERE AND THEY ALREADY KNOW ALL THIS. Hahahaha. This is great.

Opa-Pa

I do know that I can name at least an anime character for each of the main cast's names aside from ryuji, and ann :p

It's funny, I watched the english dub of Toradora a couple years ago with my girlfriend. It's a romantic comedy, the guy is called Ryuji and the girl Taiga. Taiga has no romantic interest in the guy for a big part of the show, they're friends but she's super aggressive to him and calls him an idiot, etc.

Taiga is voiced by Cassandra Lee Morris, Morgana's voice actress. So yeah, let's say hearing Morgana insult Ryuji has been a bit weird at times lmao.

P5, except goro akechi is replaced with goro majima

Game of the forever.

ramyeon

I believe physical copies run exactly the same as PS2 classics, so if one has a particular glitch caused by emulation, so will the other. I don't think the Nocturne loading times counts though since that was just a first print run. I played the digital version a couple of years ago too and it had no issues.

The person did mention being interested in the PS2 Classics particularly tho haha.
Haha yeah. I have my original physical PS2 copies already, just not keen on hooking that up to my HDTV to replay them for a bunch of reasons.

Good to hear the classics run fairly well! I've given up on them ever being released on PS4 (Especially Nocturne and DDS) so I may as well get a PS3 with the added benefit of finally playing my copies of Arena and Ultimax.

zulux21

It's funny, I watched the english dub of Toradora a couple years ago with my girlfriend. It's a romantic comedy, the guy is called Ryuji and the girl Taiga. Taiga has no romantic interest in the guy for a big part of the show, they're friends but she's super aggressive to him and calls him an idiot, etc.

Taiga is voiced by Cassandra Lee Morris, Morgana's voice actress. So yeah, let's say hearing Morgana insult Ryuji has been a bit weird at times lmao.

Game of the forever.

I should have been able to name that too as I have seen all of toradora twice but I couldn't off the top of my head lol.

11/20 Wow, playing this with Japanese audio is completely unacceptable as the localization doesn't even bother subtitling critical dialogue in an animated cutscene. This is amateur hour shit, embarrassing for Atlus.

Top Bottom