• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT2| Someone must have been helping you go to bed early. Talk!

JBwB

Keep in mind, Triple Down actually outdamages One Shot Kill (2nd strongest skill in the game after Hassou Tobi), so it's better during boss fights. You also don't need both Psy boost and Psy Amp since Haru's using Psy skills to knock enemies down.

Fixed.

Cess007

Starting the last Palace:
Palace 7 or Deeps of Mementos. I didn't expect this to be the last palace, but I guess all those Morgana dreams were foreshadowing.
I really wish I had more time tho, I left several confidants near completion :(

PK Gaming

Is there a list of P5 skills with detailed information like power or accuracy, or do you just know that Triple Down is that strong from your own testing? I ask because I loved looking at these skill lists for Persona 3 and Persona 4 but the Persona 5 one is still incomplete.

Not yet

You can get the full list here, but skill accuracy is currently unknown.

Seems like Triple Down is more inaccurate though?

Yep. It's best used when you've debuffed a boss's evasion + when you've buffed your own.

If we're counting Joker's skillset then it falls way down, lol

they had to abandon the system after they realized (last party member spoiler)
no one would ever compliment crow
, clearly

I'm losing my mind. Why does every character say "LET ME EXPLAIN?" and "AND THAT'S IT!" they cut out so many lines.

Not yet

You can get the full list here, but skill accuracy is currently unknown.
Ah, thanks, but I was hoping for something with numerical power levels. I think it's interesting that in P4 God Hand, Brave Blade, and Primal Force all do "severe physical damage." But in reality, Primal Force does 1.5x the damage of Brave Blade and God Hand (If that list I linked earlier is to be believed anyway.)
they had to abandon the system after they realized (last party member spoiler)
no one would ever compliment crow
, clearly
I feel like Mona would have more compliments to give out in that situation than in any situation to do with Ryuji, haha.

PK Gaming

It's honestly baffling why they cut all these lines out.

I love "bonafied monafied" as much as the next guy, but hearing you hear it 8494822 times wears thin. P3/P4 mixed up with party banter, so it's a bummer they cut it out.

Also i'm not sure if it's in the game, but Haru's Berserk quote is hilarious.

Balphon

Is it though? I get what people are saying that party wide buffs are better but I think it's not so unusual to have a situation where you Heat Riser Joker or Ann.

It's generally inefficient in terms of SP and turns spent. The only time you'd want to use it is if you had only one unbuffed character because they just got resurrected or switched in.

Between MC, Ryuji, Makoto, Yusuke, Futaba and items it's fairly easy to buff everyone otherwise.

It may come as a waste but I'm thinking of keeping all 3 healing- Diarahan, Mediarahan and Salvation, with Salvation as my "OH SHIT!" button.

Just comes down to how SP efficient you want to be. If SP doesn't matter you can just use Salvation.

Opa-Pa

I may be wrong or perhaps this only applies to Hard, but I think a boss is more likely to use dekaja if your whole party has two buffs vs one character having three, or one having three and the rest one. My Joker did insane damage against the final boss when I casted heat raiser on him a couple times with Haru.

You do want to use it only in one or two characters at a time, of course. Trying to completely buff everyone with heat raiser would be silly.

BTA

Palace 7 question that i would really appreciate being answered.

How many days does it take to do? I'd like to max Shinya, but I think that puts me at going into the palace on the 14th, with the calendar treasure room deadline being the 16th, so that gives me 3 days to be in the palace. I intend to do it all in one day, but is there anything ridiculous like you having to spend a day per VIP or something?

Opa-Pa

There are no "forced retreats" or anything like it, no. Personally it took me two days, only because I was all out of SP against a boss gauntlet so I got stuck in an impossible situation, even while having two characters with SP adhesives.

BTA

There are no "forced retreats" or anything like it, no. Personally it took me two days, only because I was all out of SP against a boss gauntlet so I got stuck in an impossible situation, even while having two characters with SP adhesives.

Awesome, thanks.

I still have everyone using SP adhesives currently (though I'll probably switch things up when the fights get harder); thanks to doing that for most of the game + confusion farming I have a lot of SP items so I should be able to do it in a day regardless.

(On that note- since I have to go into Mementoes, I should probably fuse a ton so that I can farm money one last time without being near the cap...)

Wow, that Palace 5 boss.... I think I lost once or twice cause I didn't know what to do.
Big bang challenge on the last robot was a little tricky. I thought I could keep stalling and heal through it but it does it consistently. I lost the first two times by a silver of health on the boss and died.
Very frustrating. I felt a difficulty spike in this palace in general.

It's nice you can one hit Okumura after all his robots are dead though.
I was relieved.

BTA

Hmm, is the fusion calculator wrong or can fusion results be variable? I'm just trying to do a chain of the cheapest fusions that get me low levels that I missed, and the calculator says Ippon-Datara + Regent should be Naga... but I get told it's going to be Arahabaki?

Hmm, is the fusion calculator wrong or can fusion results be variable? I'm just trying to do a chain of the cheapest fusions that get me low levels that I missed, and the calculator says Ippon-Datara + Regent should be Naga... but I get told it's going to be Arahabaki?

Unlike every other fusion, treasure demon fusions are based on the demons' actual level rather than base level. The calculator is probably using base level demons.

BTA

Unlike every other fusion, treasure demon fusions are based on the demons' actual level rather than base level. The calculator is probably using base level demons.

Aaaah, I thought the level might be it. Little annoying there's no way to set that but I guess that'd make the calculator that much more complex.

Opa-Pa

Fusion results are determined by the recipients' arcana and current level, not the persona they are, so if either of them is a few levels higher than their default one, the result will be different. I this case is Ippon-Datara that's probably overleveled because Regent can't level up.

Edit: Oops, beaten.

SoulUnison

Banned
Exterminating Personas...
b7e37403309a19b965d27f040aa423d8.gif

Oh, I just got it. He's a
smooth criminal.

Duh. *hits forehead.*

Lusankya

I'm thinking of sacrificing her evade nuke after beating the secret boss, my Haru has high magic stat from her equipment so I can't fully not support Psy. I'm thinking of:

Psydyne
Psy boost
Psy Amp
One shot kill
Snipe
Cripple
Heat Riser
Amrita Shower

Given a choice, I would always go for single target over multi because of enemy composition and SP

Just get rid of Amrita Shower and use items for this purpose. You can't use items to permanently have "Dodge Nuke".

Haha I was actually just staring at the fusion calculator just now and this was pretty much what I came up with as well. I just need a way to get magical ability and, ice boost and ice amp onto the little guy. Possibly even fire absorb.

Check what you can skill card first, since you can get Yusuke to dupe them before you use them. Then work out what works fusion path wise and use Gallows for the rest.

Okay, so you know how in Persona 3/4, party members would cheer each other on? "Whoo go Yosuke! Seriously amazing Amagi-senpai, etc"

In P5 I miss characters saying something when you give them new equipment. Junpei would be really excited when you gave him a new weapon (or not if you gave him something worse). You could make Yukari wear something skimpy, but she was going to let you know she wasn't happy about it. It was a little thing, but helped sell the illusion. In P5 there's just no recognition at all.

TrueBlue

I love "bonafied monafied" as much as the next guy, but hearing you hear it 8494822 times wears thin. P3/P4 mixed up with party banter, so it's a bummer they cut it out.

Also i'm not sure if it's in the game, but Haru's Berserk quote is hilarious.

"You shouldn't annoy a girl with an axe!"

I assume you're referring to that one? I don't remember hearing it in game, but I dunno if it was left out or not.

But man, all these cut lines would have done wonders in the final game.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
In P5 I miss characters saying something when you give them new equipment. Junpei would be really excited when you gave him a new weapon (or not if you gave him something worse). You could make Yukari wear something skimpy, but she was going to let you know she wasn't happy about it. It was a little thing, but helped sell the illusion. In P5 there's just no recognition at all.

I agree. I'm not even sure why this game has 'spiked bra' as armour if the women aren't going to give you shit for putting them in it.

SoulUnison

Banned

It's mostly bizarre to me that this is something that didn't make it into the game even after a nearly 2 year delay, and all the lines were recorded in both languages. What happened?

Meanwhile they only record one line for gameplay situations that are likely to happen multiple times in rapid succession...
I love Futaba, but every time I hear "Knocked 'em right off their feet!" I want to strangle her and the sound designers.

Not a single developer or playtester noticed that Joker knocking enemies down one at a time was something that happens CONSTANTLY?

Now this is weird. I wonder if it has to do with the Japanese voice actors?

These seen like either voice tests or rough sketch line ideas.

I know I've heard the "That's our Queen line" but not from Ryuji. And there's a combat compliment directed at Oracle. So they don't seem like they were planned for inclusion as is.

I wonder if they were planning​ for more combat commentators depending on who was present at one stage or as DLC (pretty common in 2D fighting games now) ?

Palace 7 question that i would really appreciate being answered.

How many days does it take to do? I'd like to max Shinya, but I think that puts me at going into the palace on the 14th, with the calendar treasure room deadline being the 16th, so that gives me 3 days to be in the palace. I intend to do it all in one day, but is there anything ridiculous like you having to spend a day per VIP or something?

I was able to complete Palace 7 at level 60 and do it all in one day and send the calling card the next day.
You don't have to wait a day to do each VIP, they're essentially shadows but stronger versions. If you have at least 2x characters with the SP Adhesive 3 then you should be OK and one character not interested the party for healing (I use lots of physical skills). The only somewhat tough part is after the 'Cleaner' which is the last VIP, there is a mini boss after which has 3x forms and if you're not careful and don't heal up immediately after the fight then it can definitely suck.

muteki

Palace 6 was fun. I didn't mind the sub-areas and gimmicks, and thought it was an interesting deviation from normal. Felt a bit like those stages in old Sonic games. The actual layout of the dungeon is a good example of how P5's dungeons are sort of a mix of large, handcrafted areas with set pieces and other areas that could just as easily be a result of P3/P4's random corridor generator with a different theme. Some Palaces more than others.

Loved the boss design. After the initial "gimmick" it was mostly going through the motions though.

The aftermath was something else. I'm still trying to figure out the sequence of events.

Post Palace 6/overall plot mega-spoilers:
The trick with Akechi was they noticed him commenting on something Morgana said when according to what they knew at the time he should not have been in a palace previously? Because if you have been in a Palace you can hear Morgana, but if you haven't you can't?

Am I misremembering here or did somewhere during Akechi's negotiations with the group pre-Palace 6 did he tell them he had been in previous Palaces? What was his original story for how he started entering the Metaverse?

Palace 6 was fun. I didn't mind the sub-areas and gimmicks, and thought it was an interesting deviation from normal. Felt a bit like those stages in old Sonic games. The actual layout of the dungeon is a good example of how P5's dungeons are sort of a mix of large, handcrafted areas with set pieces and other areas that could just as easily be a result of P3/P4's random corridor generator with a different theme. Some Palaces more than others.

Loved the boss design. After the initial "gimmick" it was mostly going through the motions though.

The aftermath was something else. I'm still trying to figure out the sequence of events.

Post Palace 6/overall plot mega-spoilers:
The trick with Akechi was they noticed him commenting on something Morgana said when according to what they knew at the time he should not have been in a palace previously? Because if you have been in a Palace you can hear Morgana, but if you haven't you can't?

Am I misremembering here or did somewhere during Akechi's negotiations with the group pre-Palace 6 did he tell them he had been in previous Palaces? What was his original story for how he started entering the Metaverse?

He claims about a month ago aka around when you were scouting Okumara Foods during the forced entry section. That's obviously way after he understood Morgana.

Though there are some oddities, the game says you can only understand Morgana after hearing him speak in the Metaverse. But that would mean that Akechi should have known it was Morgana speaking and so never dropped that hint (or adjusted his cover later). So it doesn't really add up. Unless the idea is that Akechi is a smug git who can't help himself sometimes.

muteki

He claims about a month ago aka around when you were scouting Okumara Foods during the forced entry section. That's obviously way after he understood Morgana.

Though there are some oddities, the game says you can only understand Morgana after hearing him speak in the Metaverse. But that would mean that Akechi should have known it was Morgana speaking and so never dropped that hint (or adjusted his cover later). So it doesn't really add up. Unless the idea is that Akechi is a smug git who can't help himself sometimes.

More post Palace 6 stuff:

I guess that makes sense. Not really remembering exactly what was said when almost makes it seem as though Akechi's story should check out, but I guess at the time of the pancake comment it is suspicious regardless.

DJChuy

I'm having a hard time finding the motivation on finishing the game. It feels too long for its own sake as the story doesn't have a drive or clear objective. After 70 hours, I already completed P4 and started a NG. P5, on the other hand, still had going through palaces.

It had an interesting premise in the beginning with
who sold you out
, but by the third palace, I pretty much forgot about it. It just seems like one unrelated case after another.

Also those special events like the school trip end up being dull. The humor in P5 is pretty dry as it basically consists of men staring at boobs or homosexual related.

Gameplay is great however. Definitely the best in the series, and I'm glad they made dungeon crawling entertaining this time around.

Lunar15

I'm having a hard time finding the motivation on finishing the game. It feels too long for its own sake as the story doesn't have a drive or clear objective. After 70 hours, I already completed P4 and started a NG. P5, on the other hand, still had going through palaces.

It had an interesting premise in the beginning with
who sold you out
, but by the third palace, I pretty much forgot about it. It just seems like one unrelated case after another.

Also those special events like the school trip end up being dull. The humor in P5 is pretty dry as it basically consists of men staring at boobs or homosexual related.

Gameplay is great however. Definitely the best in the series, and I'm glad they made dungeon crawling entertaining this time around.

Plot ramps up at Palace 5.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Is there a deadline for romance? I'm at palace 5 and the plot has hit 100 mph - I didn't miss out did I?

Cess007

More post Palace 6 stuff:

I guess that makes sense. Not really remembering exactly what was said when almost makes it seem as though Akechi's story should check out, but I guess at the time of the pancake comment it is suspicious regardless.

I always thought it mean that Akechi has met Morgana before you guys met him and that's why he knows he can speak. As he doesn't know he's with you at the TV trip, it would give it away that he has been in the Metaverse before.

It was still a bit confusing

Just unlocked Palace 5. Some thoughts:

- Ryuji continues to be a lovable dumbass with the best VA performance I've ever seen in a game. Definitely my favorite "MC's first guy friend" character in a Persona game.

Wait until the end of Palace
7, it's Ryuji best moment in all the game and I cemented him as best bro

BTW, what's the best/recommended level to start the last palace? I'm a little bit over lvl 60; and I want to know if it's best to grind a little before tackling the palace or not.

BTA

Just unlocked Palace 5. Some thoughts:

- fucking lol @ the Hawaii trip. I reloaded that section a few times to both fail horribly with Ryuji and spend quality time with Hifumi.
- Ryuji continues to be a lovable dumbass with the best VA performance I've ever seen in a game. Definitely my favorite "MC's first guy friend" character in a Persona game.
- Haru seems okay so far, but her voice bothers me. She applies inflection on her sentences at very odd points. I'm not sure if her VA is bad, or if that's intentional.
- You know "Beauty Thief" is a truly awful name when even Yusuke thinks it sucks.
- The drama with Morgana bothered me. It seemed very forced and very cliche in the very typical "this wouldn't have stretched out for this long if you SAT DOWN AND TALKED FOR 10 SECONDS" way that you see in really corny TV dramas/movies.
- I'm reaching the end of some S-Links and started turning down some girls. I'm not sure who I want to pair the MC with yet.

I'm sure someone did notice it, but fixing the issue probably fell into the background/got ignored/couldn't be redone before release for whatever reason. Probably because the team was busy with other stuff. It's relatively minor but I do agree it's grating.

"It's almost scary how good I am"

It's one of the reasons why I increasingly just burn physical attacks instead of knocking people over one at a time. That, plus single knockdown > Baton Pass to Ryuji > Swift Strike is amazing.

Gameplay is definitely great.

I find the humor good because of the voice acting. I mean yeah, the boob thing is there, but it's not that bad. IMO it's actually toned down from P4. Ryuji understandably checks out Ann, but he does seem to avoid crossing the line in a way that Yosuke didn't.

Yusuke is surprisingly funny just because he's fucking weird. I loved how he
randomly bought two lobsters halfway through the beach scene and then walked into every subsequent cutscene that day with a lobster wiggling around in each hand.

The drama with
Morgana was particularly unnecessary cause it centered around him being "useless" when like... Nah, bud, you can heal and have a physical skill that crits fairly often! You're arguably the most useful member after Joker! I get that it's abut Futaba replacing him as Navigator, but even then, the hell is Ryuji contributing to the team plot-wise? Or Yusuke or Ann, even? Only Joker + Makoto + Futaba actually have roles within the team, so it's not like Futaba taking over yours makes you stick out.

Now that I think about it, if they really wanted to sell it, they should have focused less on him being "useless" without a role and instead focused more on his lack of connection to the team's goals (since everyone else joined to take down a target), with maybe some jokes by Ryuji crossing the line by accusing him of only wanting Treasures (especially as his reactions to them haven't really been discussed despite being odd). That'd have the same dynamic without being as pointless, since it's resolved by talking about Morgana's connection to the team anyway.

Bladenic

This game's OST is bomb af obviously but having replayed P4 and playing P3P now, it's disheartening that there's barely (or any?) variance in the city theme in this game. Wonder where those tracks went to make up for it.

Lunar15

This game's OST is bomb af obviously but having replayed P4 and playing P3P now, it's disheartening that there's barely (or any?) variance in the city theme in this game. Wonder where those tracks went to make up for it.

Yeah, this is the weirdest part of the soundtrack. So many good tracks but all the best songs are used in odd places, while the songs you hear the most aren't the best.

Yeah, this is the weirdest part of the soundtrack. So many good tracks but all the best songs are used in odd places, while the songs you hear the most aren't the best.

Beneath the Mask and Tokyo Daylight are both fantastic and never got old for me.

Disquiet bears a heavy load though. One or two more event tracks would have been nice.

Maxim726X

So, every so often a game reminds me why I love gaming. This is that game.

I can't stop playing it, thinking about it, reading about it, listening to BGM, etc.

Still 78 hours into my first play through, I clearly by where I'm at in the game have no hope of maxing out all social links. Should I instead focus on raising my personal stats (fuck you, kindness) to focus on maxing them out in NG+?

And on that subject, what's the best way to raise the kindness stat?

Top Bottom