• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Preview Thread

Yeah... My excitement for P5 has thoroughly dried up. It will be a great game, but I would be forcing my enthusiasm for the series to return if I were to play it anytime soon.

Yeah. My hype for this game is not even there yet. Because I watched some parts of walkthroughs and was in the 4chan threads months ago already. I mean I will probably enjoy it, same with Nier Automata but even with Nier I know too much already. Because why should I hold myself back about knowledge for a game when the game is out already in parts of the world.

For Persona it was clear to me that I wouldn't have got the japanese version because it would have destroyed my experience totally when the only thing I saw were moonrunes.

With Nier on the other hand, if I knew it had english support I would have preordered it from the japanese psn store.

Jeels

I don't know if I can handle another 100+ hour game. I still haven't beaten Yakuza 0 and I don't think I'll have BOTW done by the time this comes out. But this has been day one forever I might just not be able to start it until late April.. :(

GSR

Having played the Japanese version, I'm very curious as to how reviews will take the latter half of the game.

Looking forward to everyone getting their hands on it next month!

Burbeting

Banned
I used to be so hyped for this, but the constant delays really killed it :(. I completely even forgot it's coming in a month.

Aw man....another game I'll have to buy this Spring. The worst is not the money spent on these games, it's finding the time to play them.

In the wake of Breath of the Wild turning out to be one of the greatest video games ever made, I have some bad news for your time and wallet: Persona 5 might be up there, too.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Venfayth

Same, lol.

I used to be so hyped for this, but the constant delays really killed it :(. I completely even forgot it's coming in a month.

What is it about delays that kills hype? Is hype not based on the quality of a game? I'm not trying to be a jerk I just don't really get why people would be less interested in a game because it comes out later. If I had a food item that you were looking forward to and said oh sorry I can't give this to you tomorrow, but I'll have a fresh one ready a week later, you still want that food item right?

Maxinas

2017 continues to deliver.

So here's a cool new IP from Guerrilla in Horizon Zero Dawn. Up next is Zelda, quite possibly one the best games ever made. After that, we'll give you Mass Effect. Persona 5 is then right around the corner. Here's a new DLC for Uncharted. Oh and don't forget Super Mario Odyssey. And then we'll top it off with Red Dead 2.

And if that's not enough for you, here's Nioh, Nier, Ghost Recon, Destiny 2...

Insane.

I have a gut feeling this wont make it for 2017.

mollipen

Not really going to do up a preview, but I will say that this may be the most visually amazing JRPG I've ever played. I mean, it's great in plenty of other ways, but I have not been able to get over just how utterly spectacular this game looks in so many ways, and how far beyond every other dev out there Atlus is in that regard.

mVhtf3o.png

Venfayth

Not really going to do up a preview, but I will say that this may be the most visually amazing JRPG I've ever played. I mean, it's great in plenty of other ways, but I have not been able to get over just how utterly spectacular this game looks in so many ways, and how far beyond every other dev out there Atlus is in that regard.

In some of the promotional material shown so far I haven't been super impressed with the English text/fonts - has it bothered you at all?

2017 continues to deliver.

So here's a cool new IP from Guerrilla in Horizon Zero Dawn. Up next is Zelda, quite possibly one the best games ever made. After that, we'll give you Mass Effect. Persona 5 is then right around the corner. Here's a new DLC for Uncharted. Oh and don't forget Super Mario Odyssey. And then we'll top it off with Red Dead 2.

And if that's not enough for you, here's Nioh, Nier, Ghost Recon, Destiny 2...

Insane.
Yakuza0wcKick.gif

Wow! Some of these previews/impressions are making this wait difficult. Are you planning on reviewing the game?

mollipen

In some of the promotional material shown so far I haven't been super impressed with the English text/fonts - has it bothered you at all?

The only problem I've had is that, for some reason, the white text on a solid black background messes with my eyes a little. But, I think part of that is that I've had to do a LOT of game marathoning recently, so I think my eyes might just need a bit of a rest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Video game industry: please stahp. I can't. I don't have the time. Like, P5 is GOING to supersede anything else I have to do, but I already have Horizon (which I haven't even started thanks to BOTW) and Nier is looking pretty awesome and if Mass Effect turns out good its just icing.

mollipen

Video game industry: please stahp. I can't. I don't have the time. Like, P5 is GOING to supersede anything else I have to do, but I already have Horizon (which I haven't even started thanks to BOTW) and Nier is looking pretty awesome and if Mass Effect turns out good its just icing.

My review state so far this year has been Project Diva Future Tone > Gravity Rush 2 > Nioh > Nier > Persona 5, and that's just the things I've personally handled. It's insane. I can't remember offhand such a short period of time with so many fantastic games, and that's just on the Japanese side.

Yup, need to decide what to do here. I've started both FFXV and BOTW. Everything is getting dropped for P5. Do I try to rush through FFXV and hold off on BOTW. I don't like starting something and dropping it, but something has to give and my game time is limited.

What is it about delays that kills hype? Is hype not based on the quality of a game? I'm not trying to be a jerk I just don't really get why people would be less interested in a game because it comes out later. If I had a food item that you were looking forward to and said oh sorry I can't give this to you tomorrow, but I'll have a fresh one ready a week later, you still want that food item right?
I can't maintain the same amount of excitement forever and it's been YEARS. I'm still eager to play it, but I wouldn't even mind another delay at this point.

I don't really get it either. Maybe not quite as hyped, sure. Completely killed my hype? Nah.

Just play other stuff and be patient.

What is it about delays that kills hype? Is hype not based on the quality of a game? I'm not trying to be a jerk I just don't really get why people would be less interested in a game because it comes out later.

For me, it was a combination of delays (more specifically, the multiple public confirmations of P5's release date targets) and brand over-saturation. Persona 4 got a re-release, two fighting games, two anime series with an OVA, an Etrian Odyssey-style RPG, and a dancing game, most of which arrived after the official reveal of P5. That's not to say that Persona 5 will be any less spectacular, nor does it mean I love Persona any less than I ever have, really. But right now, any enthusiasm I feel for P5 would be completely manufactured and I would do more harm than good to my love for a series that means quite a bit to me and cheered me up in a not-so-pleasant time.

Steiner

Banned
Just now finally got in touch with the new Atlus PR for a review copy for our site. Seeing all the preview footage is making me incredibly anxious. Need to dive into this ASAP - I don't want what will surely be one of my favorite games of all time to turn into a review-day crunch / deadline. * sigh *

Ray Down

Banned
For me, it was a combination of delays (more specifically, the multiple public confirmations of P5's release date targets) and brand over-saturation. Persona 4 got a re-release, two fighting games, two anime series with an OVA, an Etrian Odyssey-style RPG, and a dancing game, most of which arrived after the official reveal of P5. That's not to say that Persona 5 will be any less spectacular, nor does it mean I love Persona any less than I ever have, really. But right now, any enthusiasm I feel for P5 would be completely manufactured and I would do more harm than good to my love for a series that means quite a bit to me and cheered me up in a not-so-pleasant time.

It's not the brand saturation, though I will say I don't have a huge love for 4 like others on this site.

Best thing about P4 is T4S is playing it.

RoKKeR

No idea if I'll ever play this game but I can't believe the slate of games that have launched this year already.

Top Bottom