• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Preview Thread

For me, it was a combination of delays (more specifically, the multiple public confirmations of P5's release date targets) and brand over-saturation. Persona 4 got a re-release, two fighting games, two anime series with an OVA, an Etrian Odyssey-style RPG, and a dancing game, most of which arrived after the official reveal of P5. That's not to say that Persona 5 will be any less spectacular, nor does it mean I love Persona any less than I ever have, really. But right now, any enthusiasm I feel for P5 would be completely manufactured and I would do more harm than good to my love for a series that means quite a bit to me and cheered me up in a not-so-pleasant time.

You'll forget all that when you play it.
=D

And then we'll see you in the GOTY 2017 thread giving the first place to Persona 5.

The only problem I've had is that, for some reason, the white text on a solid black background messes with my eyes a little. But, I think part of that is that I've had to do a LOT of game marathoning recently, so I think my eyes might just need a bit of a rest.

I have astigmatism and the sharp contrasts and jagged angles in the UI also messes with my eyes, as well as the very persona-esque tendency to vignette the battle UI with an animated transparent texture. Put it down to me being old.

2017: The year of the Niche.

What a fucking comeback, and I'm glad to be alive to witness it. Persona 5 day0!

... uhh... this year could topple 2001 easily.
Next stop is FFXii, Mass effect, Yooka L, and Crash! Let's gooo y'all!

Jeels

Japan never went away. People are just paying attention for the first time in awhile.

Disagree, there was a point in time where I went years without playing a JP console game I liked. In fact, my game of the generation, Catherine, was one of the only console games out of Japan I loved last gen (if you don't count XIV as cross platform/cross gen).

JP was all portables for a while.

jjonez18

So reviewers have had the game for a while now. In the Gamespot memento video one of them said they've already put in 50 hours.

Why is this game not already out? Season too stacked?

Audioboxer

Those previews

Y5Cdpht.gif

brawly

I'm glad the battles are better, but I'm still setting it to easy. All out rush 4lyfe.

I'm guessing you still can't change it on the go?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad the battles are better, but I'm still setting it to easy. All out rush 4lyfe.

I'm guessing you still can't change it on the go?

So long as you don't pick the lowest difficulty, Safety, you can change the difficulty at any time. I'd recommend at least trying Normal, since it's really well balanced, and if that doesn't seem up your alley you can change it.

2017 continues to deliver.

So here's a cool new IP from Guerrilla in Horizon Zero Dawn. Up next is Zelda, quite possibly one the best games ever made. After that, we'll give you Mass Effect. Persona 5 is then right around the corner. Here's a new DLC for Uncharted. Oh and don't forget Super Mario Odyssey. And then we'll top it off with Red Dead 2.

And if that's not enough for you, here's Nioh, Nier, Ghost Recon, Destiny 2...

Insane.

You forgot about GOTY-contender Yakuza 0. How could you forget about Yakuza?? And Tekken 7. And the Wipeout remasters?

These previews are honestly surprising. Maybe I just didn't want to get my hopes too up after being starstruck by Yakuza. But this is fantastic to see, and I'm really glad they decided to delay. Feb-March is just too damn crowded.

Iksenpets

Banned
Wait, are you telling me outlets have had the full game now for weeks and it's still not coming out for another month? Why are you doing this to us, Altus?

That doesn't make any sense.

I was ready to play this game in 2014. They announced a delay, and then a new date. And repeated the process several times over. I understand that these things happen and not everyone feels turned off by that, but what about it doesn't make any sense? Timing is important to me. Right now, I only have a handful of hours, if that, per week, to spend on entertainment ...and I'm not going to play something I'm not excited for with the minimal time that is available.

this is all a con to instill good vibes in people before it gets delayed for another three months

😂 This is where I'm at. The delay from February to April, in particular, brought me here.

Previews are making the hype come back after the delay...

Still, there's so much coming out this year...

Looking at my wallet at some point is going to make me go: ToT

Even if the games make me go: :D

It's amazing that all the delays and the unbelievable saturation of games we've been getting has really deflated my hype for this. It used to be my most anticipated game without question but now I feel like I could take it or leave it.

I am certain that will all change the second I have it in my hands though.

That doesn't make any sense.

It absolutely makes sense. Hype is irrational and intangible and dependent on a number of external and internal factors. It does not inherently remain static or steadily grow. In Persona's case, they trained their audience (the western one, at least) to stop anticipating the title -- since every time it gets close, it's "taken away".

Good gravy I need this now.

Come to me, Makoto.

May end up getting this on PSN for the theme unless physical is significantly cheaper.

Wait, are you telling me outlets have had the full game now for weeks and it's still not coming out for another month? Why are you doing this to us, Altus?

It's a really long game. I've played it for 100 hours and if my guess is right I'm still only half way into the game.

Mr. Hyde

My most anticipated game of all time is almost upon us. This is amazing and scary since my free time is minimal. Oh well. I will go into caveman mode. Work, hanging out with baby and wife, photography and persona 5. All other time sinks erased. I quit gaming for over a year so the delay hasn't really affected me until today reading these previews. I'm glad I still have no idea what the story is about besides being inspired by Lupin. So excited. Bought a PS4 during cyber Monday to play this, horizon and Bloodborne.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
It's a really long game. I've played it for 100 hours and if my guess is right I'm still only half way into the game.

That doesn't sound right. I mean, it's a damn long game, but at 100 hours you really should be nearing the end.

Obviously, this game is going to be fantastic, even though the delays killed a lot of hype for me. I'm wondering if people will look back and call it a style over substance kind of deal though.

Obviously, this game is going to be fantastic, even though the delays killed a lot of hype for me. I'm wondering if people will look back and call it a style over substance kind of deal though.

I feel like Persona is a series renown mostly for its successful marrying of style and substance. Sure, it oozes style, but it has the gameplay systems and writing to back it up.

PikkonX

Can't believe my most anticipated title is almost here. As much as I can't wait to experience this on my 4K, I'd kill for a Switch "FES" version in a few years.

#notportbegging

What an embarrassment of riches this year has been so far. Yakuza 0 and Zelda have devoured my off time, so Nioh is still shrinkwrapped and Nier arrives tomorrow. It'll be a miracle if I even manage to touch Horizon til April comes.

Zukkoyaki

The constant delays reeeeally killed my hype for this game even though Persona 4 may be my favorite game of all time. Now that it's so close I can feel the hype coming back with a vengeance.

Though I'm not going to lie that I'm somewhat dreading the length haha. I'm sure I'm going to love the hell out of it but man it's going to be a handful.

CHC

I liked Persona 4 but also thought it was massively overrated.

This, though... this I'm really excited for. I'm liking the vibe and the urban setting a lot more, plus one of my major complaints (awful dungeons) seems to have addressed pretty head-on.

Angel_DvA

Just kill me Gaf, I can't take another great games, don't have the time to even finish what released in January/February lol

Kuni

This is awesome. Especially Jason Schreier's comments (Masterpiece!).

I was actually in Japan last year and was able to go to the special Persona 5 pop up cafe.
qjtwik4q8xftu4djkzj8.jpg

The hype was almost too much (and the food was good too, got some sweet persona badges)

One month to go brehs!

bunbun777

It's my late Valentine's day gift but it should still count for something. One of the only deluxe editions I didn't even think twice about.

Top Bottom