• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

Going in at 77

white-guy-blinking-gif.gif

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
89 is my guess.

I hear the game's main story is to long for its own good. Which could mean there's padding.

For reference P3 and 4 average at 60-70 hour main stories. P5 from howlongtobeat place it at the 100 mark for just the main story.

No timer other than the usual sorts of deadlines Persona games give you. Like you must clear the current dungeon by X date or it's game over. That sort of thing.

Umm, just so we're clear, they're still tied to deadlines like in P3/4, so you do need to hurry up and finish them ASAP.

Good to know about the persona ingame deadlines. Guess it's steelbook for me. Just a shame makoto got relegated to the back of the cover. Was my favourite since the reveal.

89 is my guess.

I hear the game's main story is to long for its own good. Which could mean there's padding.

For reference P3 and 4 average at 60-70 hour main stories. P5 from howlongtobeat place it at the 100 mark for just the main story.
Persona 5 is longer because the dungeons are longer and the dungeons aren't just random hallways with a boss. These are dungeons, therefore there's things to do in them as well as story segments that tie into the dungeons. The game doesn't feel "padded" any more than Persona 3/4 felt padded. There's your standard real life stuff/alt world stuff going on with the usual Persona standards. i never felt like the game was just dragging along because the story is actually developing.

Inorganic

I would be very surprised if P5 gets anything lower than 90 Meta. From what I've played its better and more refined than its predecessors in every conceivably way, while still maintaining all the aspects that made Persona so great to begin with. This is exactly what I wanted from Atlus, and I actually would have been disappointed if they changed up the formula so much that the game lost its identity.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Persona 5 is longer because the dungeons are longer and the dungeons aren't just random hallways with a boss. These are dungeons, therefore there's things to do in them as well as story segments that tie into the dungeons. The game doesn't feel "padded" any more than Persona 3/4 felt padded. There's your standard real life stuff/alt world stuff going on with the usual Persona standards. i never felt like the game was just dragging along because the story is actually developing.

Good to hear. I'm still worried if it'll be constantly engaging past say 70 hours. I'm quite glad randomized dungeons are gone, but hearing that each dungeon is much larger makes me wary.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Don't care what the reviews are as I'm sure ill love it. The wait has been too long

I'm thinking either 94 or 88. Just depends on if there's any big issues.

Cornbread78

How many playthroughs to you have to go through to get the true ending? That is my only concern.....

Good to hear. I'm still worried if it'll be constantly engaging past say 70 hours. I'm quite glad randomized dungeons are gone, but hearing that each dungeon is much larger makes me wary.

No need to worry. The dungeons are NOT Tartarus or Yukiko's castle or Kanji's Bathhouse.

These are DUNGEONS, therefore there's lots of things going on. They're huge, but they're interspersed with story things e.g. SHIT HAPPENING. I'm 150 hours into the game and the time just flew by. Don't worry about the HOURS you're playing, the game has lots of story even during non dungeon stuff because of the cell phone and other stuff. So it feels like you're always doing something.

Totakeke

They're not gone. They decided to give you both. Not sure how many of the extra hours is due to that.

They're not gone. They decided to give you both. Not sure how many of the extra hours is due to that.

I think that's the good thing. Mementos basically is there for old fans while still being a tad bit better because it has stuff going on. It works perfectly. Considering where I'm at in the game I'd say it's better than 3/4's dungeon layout but you'll see when you get there.

i just recommend doing it as you play and not letting it sit there for a while because you'll be overleveled and it's boring running through low level enemies to get somewhere.

Totakeke

I think that's the good thing. Mementos basically is there for old fans while still being a tad bit better because it has stuff going on. It works perfectly. i just recommend doing it as you play and not letting it sit there for a while because you'll be overleveled and it's boring running through low level enemies to get somewhere.

Yeah, I'm neutral on it. Just clarifying that there are random dungeons.

Ok I'm sure they are confident. I'm sure it's going to score well.
A embargo a week away is usually a good sign.

I'm 150 hours in and I'd say outright it'd be crazy for this not to score exceptionally well because frankly P4G WAS my favorite Persona game ever and quite possibly one of my favorite games of all time but P5 is imo better in almost every way. There's still going to be the "I think 3/4>>>5" folks but that's most likely due to their attachment to w/e they loved about the older games e.g. characters/setting/music etc.

mollipen

I know this is supposed to be a spoiler-free thread, but in honor of the reviews getting ready to go live, I present to you the most important spoiler there could be for the game:
Makoto is best Persona girlfriend ever

Cornbread78

It's not NieR - you should only need to play through the game once to get the true end.

I don't think there's a "true ending" per se. I'm literally at like the very end of the game I think but I haven't finished it yet so don't take my word.

but, but, but, thinking back to P4G, there were "certain things" that needed to get done to get the true ending and that needed 2 play-throughs. So you are saying S-Links can be maxed and everything done in 1?

I know this is supposed to be a spoiler-free thread, but in honor of the reviews getting ready to go live, I present to you the most important spoiler there could be for the game:

Need a Persona 5 Waifu Free Impressions Thread to go with the other two Impressions threads. :p

but, but, but, thinking back to P4G, there were "certain things" that needed to get done to get the true ending and that needed 2 play-throughs. So you are saying S-Links can be maxed and everything done in 1?

confidants and the best ending can be done in one round. Collecting every pokemon requires two runthroughs.
God help you if you want to master the other optional content.

Whuh? In P4G, you get the true ending by just choosing the correct dialogue options at a crucial point.

Unless you meant the new stuff, but was just a matter of maxing out s-link before the end of the game.

Nothing that required a second 239508205 hour playthrough.

StereoVsn

It should score higher than p4
Im still in the first dung3on tho, but i feel all the "it's improved persona" talk
Higher scores are tougher to get now days. I still "feel" that P5 is going to get low 90s but I would not be surprised at mid to high 80s scores.

wrongway

Been rewatching the GB Endurance Run of P4 lately for background noise while working, and it's pretty crazy that it's going on a decade old already. My body is so ready, holy shit.

Though I'm still not sure which voice track to use. Guess I'll be spending the first little bit of game time flipping between the two. :x

I'm scared of review threads

silva1991

It was already decided since we first saw her last year in the final trailer. ;)

I had never played a Yakuza game, this year that changed.

I've never played a Persona game, this year that changes.

I'm guessing 95 Meta/Open, heard nothing but positive things.

I own persona 4 golden on vita and I've never unwrapped it :/

Top Bottom