• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

JJShadow

K6TEhzK.jpg

R2 is mapped to the back touchpad, but you don't really use it all that much.

Thanks! I just received the R2/L2 grip I ordered from Playasia, so I'm ready for the full P5 experience on my Vita <3

You only need one button for the touch pad R2 but that's mostly during dungeons if you want to dash. Otherwise you're pretty much set.

Thanks a million for testing this.

I intend on using remote play for this probably 99% of the time I play. Not even on-the-go, mind you, probably just on the couch while the TV is in use for other reasons.

All in all, is remote play a viable option if I plan to play the whole game that way?

Thanks a million for testing this.

I intend on using remote play for this probably 99% of the time I play. Not even on-the-go, mind you, probably just on the couch while the TV is in use for other reasons.

All in all, is remote play a viable option if I plan to play the whole game that way?

Yeah, it's easy to read the text since it pops out clearly. So vita play is fine for a turn based game so no worries.

Small tip: disable power saving wifi on settings for maximum wifi speeds on vita.

Wunder

Maybe a dumb question but this will be my first Persona experience - is there a distinction between when you should dungeon and when you should work on social links? I'm just scared I'll end up either grinding too much or too little and get the balance off.

Maybe a dumb question but this will be my first Persona experience - is there a distinction between when you should dungeon and when you should work on social links? I'm just scared I'll end up either grinding too much or too little and get the balance off.

You gotta have a sense of balance throughout week (SL,work,leveling up, exploring,etc) it's up to you.

Totakeke

Except for completing dungeons by a specific designated time, everything else is optional I believe. Like you can goof off doing nothing but watching tv and playing video games and you still can finish the game.

Semajer

This might not be the place to ask, but is there anywhere in the UK I can get the standard PS4 game? I don't want the steelbook.

Phloxy

I see a lot of new people in here asking for impressions and if it's good for a new player who is unfamiliar with Persona
https://youtu.be/jgPuyTQ9ouI

I made my review and went into this game as a complete Persona noob outside the fighting game, and made the review from that perspective and also avoid any spoilers. I will say as a new player, I was blown away by the way the world and the characters are written and presented.
A master class in making sure it introduces new players to the ideas and concepts of Persona without coddling or being boring to somebody who is super deep into the series. A balance that is almost impossible to find in any medium, let alone pulled off this well.

Pappasman

How does hard mode change the game? Is it just a difficulty bump? Does it make compendium purchases more expensive or reduce exp/money?

ChanMan

I really didn't expect the MC to actually have
spoken dialogue, granted it isn't much it sometimes comes out of nowhere. It makes me wish they just dropped the silent protagonist thing.

ubiblu

Alright so the game has the borders cutoff on my TV screen and it's really bothering me. Anyway to fix this?

I can't remember if play-area is in the P5 options, but you should be able to manage this at a system level through the options also.

As someone who lost hours of progress in P5 by thinking every dungeon cycle needs the same amount of days to wrap up the arc, I would recommend doing dungeons as soon as you can...then work on your social links at a leisurely pace. You shouldn't need to grind at all if you are playing Easy or Normal, but your dungeon progress will likely be dictated by how much SP and healing items you have.

Weiss

Banned
Not sure if this is the place to ask but might as well, is that scene on the beach altered in any way, or would answering that be a spoiler?

silva1991

After 15 hours, I have two major issues:

1- some textures on the walls are insultingly low res.

2- it's almost too good to for this world.

56hrs in, just entered summer break (first semester is done) the game is going full throttle storywise. I gotta say the current dungeon that I'm doing has the best theme I've heard so far. The gang is starting to grow on me because all of them are so different with their own unique quirks, hell even though the MC doesn't speak by his dialog options you can tell what kind of person he is.

56hrs in, just entered summer break (first semester is done) the game is going full throttle storywise. I gotta say the current dungeon that I'm doing has the best theme I've heard so far. The gang is starting to grow on me because all of them are so different with their own unique quirks, hell even though the MC doesn't speak by his dialog options you can tell what kind of person he is.

Dungeon
?

So good.

aravuus

Trying to avoid reading anything about the game, so apologies if this has been asked in some form before, but here goes: is there a system in place that would make it hard or even impossible to finish dungeons as soon as they open (as in, in one night) on normal/harder difficulties? In P3 you got tired if you spent too much time in the dungeon, and I'm pretty sure there was something in P4 too that made spending a forever in dungeons impossible... Like maybe restoring SP in the dungeon was super expensive, so at a certain point you'd have to go home and sleep? Can't remember.

In TL;DR form, can I realistically tackle dungeons, spend time grinding and finish them as soon as they appear, in one in-game night?

I'm asking cause I can't decide on my starting difficulty lol. On one hand, playing on safety would likely mean that I can finish dungeons on one go, leaving me with more in-game time to spend doing social links and other optional stuff. I've never thought the battles in P3 or 4 were particularly engaging, either. On the other hand, I've heard the battle system is slicker and more fun than ever before. Might even enjoy the difficulty this time around.

Ken

Trying to avoid reading anything about the game, so apologies if this has been asked in some form before, but here goes: is there a system in place that would make it hard or even impossible to finish dungeons as soon as they open (as in, in one night) on normal/harder difficulties? In P3 you got tired if you spent too much time in the dungeon, and I'm pretty sure there was something in P4 too that made spending a forever in dungeons impossible... Like maybe restoring SP in the dungeon was super expensive, so at a certain point you'd have to go home and sleep? Can't remember.

In TL;DR form, can I realistically tackle dungeons, spend time grinding and finish them as soon as they appear, in one in-game night?

I'm asking cause I can't decide on my starting difficulty lol. On one hand, playing on safety would likely mean that I can finish dungeons on one go, leaving me with more in-game time to spend doing social links and other optional stuff. I've never thought the battles in P3 or 4 were particularly engaging, either. On the other hand, I've heard the battle system is slicker and more fun than ever before. Might even enjoy the difficulty this time around.

Pretty much depends on how you manage SP but yeah, I was able to one-night every dungeon in my JP playthrough. I'll add that *minor gameplay spoiler*
the game requires you to leave the dungeon and leave a notice in the real world the next day once you hit the dungeon's "end" to trigger the boss fight.

Panda Rin

So for people who have played a good amount of the game, how's the English VA been?

Strong overall - hit and miss with some of the minor characters, but the main characters were casted well. If I had a choice, better to go English over Japanese.

OmegaDL50

After 15 hours, I have two major issues:

1- some textures on the walls are insultingly low res.

2- it's almost too good to for this world.

Despite the numerous delays, the PS4 version of Persona 5 wasn't developed on the PS4 from the ground up but is just a res bumped PS3 game.

aravuus

Pretty much depends on how you manage SP but yeah, I was able to one-night every dungeon in my JP playthrough. I'll add that *minor gameplay spoiler*
the game requires you to leave the dungeon and leave a notice in the real world before you go back to fight the boss of the dungeon so it's not technically one-nighting but yeah.

I see, thanks. How about healing HP in the dungeons, do you have to spend SP/items to do it or is there a healing point you could in practice use endlessly for free or possibly a small sum of money you could easily get back before you'd have to heal again?

ckohler

When I played P4G, I suck with the core 4 (Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) through my entire play through. I was worried about trying new party members in case it became harder.

This time, I'm considering mixing it up and maybe even going with all female team (Ann, Makoto, Haru) when the opportunity presents. Will this be a problematic choice or make the game too difficult?

Ken

I see, thanks. How about healing HP in the dungeons, do you have to spend SP/items to do it or is there a healing point you could in practice use endlessly for free or possibly a small sum of money you could easily get back before you'd have to heal again?

SP and items. There's no Fox equivalent (I think that was the healing character in P4?).

When I played P4G, I suck with the core 4 (Yu, Yosuke, Chie, Yukiko) through my entire play through. I was worried about trying new party members in case it became harder.

This time, I'm considering mixing it up and maybe even going with all female team (Ann, Molotov, Haru) when the opportunity presents. Will this be a problematic choice or make the game too difficult?

you can beat it with whatever team

Ken

But considering that some party members are likely introduced later, wouldn't that mean their social link levels will be lower than those you meet early?

The latter SL skills like Protect and Endure aren't really needed to finish the game on Normal though. :eek: All you really need is Rank 2 Baton Touch on everyone.

If it helps, I was able to get all my party members to SL10 before finishing the game though I read up on what stats you needed to initiate SL beforehand.

Kireek

So can somebody tell me as spoiler free as possible
is it true that in order to beat the game you need to have cleared most of the memento dungeon and how much is "most"?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Main cast is fantastic, some minor characters less so. Definitely on par with P4.

I dunno, Morgana and Futaba are kinda shit, and Yusuke's pretty poorly directed too.
And the antagonists are downright awful.

DJwest

Hi guys, I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I need help. A friend is currently in Italy and I want him to buy me the game there. I'm wondering however whether the game will be in English (dub and text) on my UK PS4. Can anyone help?

Yu Narukami

Hi guys, I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I need help. A friend is currently in Italy and I want him to buy me the game there. I'm wondering however whether the game will be in English (dub and text) on my UK PS4. Can anyone help?
Don't worry. The European version is English only.

Top Bottom