• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

GNOSIS

Thanks, now it would be nice if someone with the english version could confirm this, just to make sure.

I have the English version and you can indeed turn subtitle on.

Anyway, 9 hours in and I still haven't done with the first boss. The dungeon feels longer somehow but it's fantastic. I'm playing on Normal and it's challenging enough. (mostly because of limited SP like P3 and P4.)

I wonder if there are any Confidants that I should be focusing on to improve my efficiency in dungeons? Especially regarding this limited SP like that fox in P4?

Impulsor

A couple questions about the game:

Is there new game +?
Do you keep level, items, etc when you go to new game +?
Can you get the platinum trophy with the combination of new game and new game +?

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I have the English version and you can indeed turn subtitle on.

Anyway, 9 hours in and I still haven't done with the first boss. The dungeon feels longer somehow but it's fantastic. I'm playing on Normal and it's challenging enough. (mostly because of limited SP like P3 and P4.)

I wonder if there are any Confidants that I should be focusing on to improve my efficiency in dungeons? Especially regarding this limited SP like that fox in P4?

The
Death Arcana
confidant will let you get an accessory that restores SP each turn at a certain point, but it's very expensive.
If you're struggling for money, making use of the skill you get from the
Sun Arcana
confidant will help with that.

A couple questions about the game:

Is there new game +?
Do you keep level, items, etc when you go to new game +?
Can you get the platinum trophy with the combination of new game and new game +?

Yes, there's NG+.
You keep [incredibly minor spoilers on what carries over]
your parameters, your equipment, your compendium, money and a few other things. You don't retain your level, nor do your party members.
Yes, I got the platinum on my NG+.

Mendrox

Does anyone know if we can change the voices in a ongoing playthrough? Has anyone from Atlus confirmed that? The english dub sounds okay, but I would like to play it with the japanese voices, but I will also get the game tomorrow and won't be able to wait anymore.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know if we can change the voices in a ongoing playthrough? Has anyone from Atlus confirmed that? The english dub sounds okay, but I would like to play it with the japanese voices, but I will also get the game tomorrow and won't be able to wait anymore.

It looks almost certain that you will be able to. Atlus haven't said anything on it as far as I'm aware, but they accidentally(?) showed the save/load screen in the LP video a couple weeks back, and it shows a "Language" toggle mapped to triangle.
edg8tSq.jpg

Impulsor

Yes, there's NG+.
You keep [incredibly minor spoilers on what carries over]
your parameters, your equipment, your compendium, money and a few other things. You don't retain your level, nor do your party members.
Yes, I got the platinum on my NG+.

Thank you very much!

Mendrox

It looks almost certain that you will be able to. Atlus haven't said anything on it as far as I'm aware, but they accidentally(?) showed the save/load screen in the LP video a couple weeks back, and it shows a "Language" toggle mapped to triangle.

Haha awesome. perfect. Thank you!

Uuuugh gamemania just sent me a text saying I can go pick up the TYH edition I ordered there for 90€, but I also got it ordered for 70€ at amazon.fr, which is estimated to arrive april 7-8th. Now I'm debating with myself whether I want to play it earlier or cheaper aaaargh.

evilsin

OMG you guys, my pre-order of Take Your Heart edition will be delivered today! This is so unexpected, I didn't expect it until the 4th. 5 days before the released date, woo-hoo!

Tunoku

I'm pretty jealous of all the early recipients of the game, but I still have a ton of Nier Automata to play and it'd be great if I could get that out of the way before Persona unlocks on PSN. I guess we'll see if I'll be able to make it.

Sandfox

I've been playing this for the past few days and it's way improved over Persona 4. The first dungeon took me forever to complete though.

I think I'm going to use a guide and play on easy on my first playrhrough. I could go blind, bot knowing myself there's always be a voice in my head telling me I'm screwing everything up. And sure, there is new game+, but I'm not going to replay a 80+ hour game unless there's a really big game drought, and there wont be this year.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i dont want to get spoiled so i just want to quickly ask

what are the difficulty options? is there a super easy one that basically turns it into an adventure game ?

Tunoku

i dont want to get spoiled so i just want to quickly ask

what are the difficulty options? is there a super easy one that basically turns it into an adventure game ?

There are multiple difficulty options and generally you can change the difficulty whenever you want, except for "safety", which is below easy and rewards you with way more loot and exp for each fight. Also you deal way more damage and take less. So that would be your adventure game difficulty option. I think most here would recommend to at least play the game on easy though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

There are multiple difficulty options and generally you can change the difficulty whenever you want, except for "safety", which is below easy and rewards you with way more loot and exp for each fight. Also you deal way more damage and take less. So that would be your adventure game difficulty option. I think most here would recommend to at least play the game on easy though.

i loved p4g but wasnt a fan of the dungeons, and ended up putting the game down at one point bc it was a slog

i basically dont want to deal with fusing, collecting personas and dont want to spend too much time doing dungeons

Certinty

i loved p4g but wasnt a fan of the dungeons, and ended up putting the game down at one point bc it was a slog

i basically dont want to deal with fusing, collecting personas and dont want to spend too much time doing dungeons
Felt exactly the same with P4G.

At least the easiest mode returns. Just hopefully it's easier to speedrun the dungeons on P5 than it was on that. That was a huge chore.

Tunoku

FUSING IS GREAT

But to each their own, I guess. The biggest draw to Persona is still the narrative and you relationship with the world and its characters.

I went with Buffy Summers, it's what I name all my characters.

Larry Bird Jr.

I've been having the same issue thinking for my playthrough, especially because I'll be playing with my roommate. Was considering trying to make a fusion of our name but it's super weird.

It's fine, a friend offered to Japanesify my name from Chinese Characters to Japanese and the results were pretty Chuuni, so I'm going with that.

Ranma

Uuuugh gamemania just sent me a text saying I can go pick up the TYH edition I ordered there for 90€, but I also got it ordered for 70€ at amazon.fr, which is estimated to arrive april 7-8th. Now I'm debating with myself whether I want to play it earlier or cheaper aaaargh.

get both and sell one :D

Grady

How is the Hard Mode ? I always play games on hard usually but I don't know with persona

I'm not a huge expert on persona but I did put about 40 hrs into p4 on the Vita. I played it on Normal and got my ass handed to me on several occasions in the dungeons. Hard seems like it would just add many many more hours of grinding before each dungeon which sounds like a chore. I would recommend normal for a fair and challenging playthrough. I assume p5 probably plays the same way.

Totakeke

One thing with playing with Japanese VA that people who don't understand the language may miss out on, there's no subtitles for the movies when you go to a cinema in game. There's only sound for the movies. I believe they're all parodies for popular movies and the one for
The Dark Knight
is hilarious.

20cent

Banned
OMG.

Tried the remote play on the vita for the first time....

Today I can play P5. And on my Vita. This is fantastic.

Anyone using their Vita for remote play with this?

If so, how is it?

That's all I wanted and probably the way I'll play it 99% of the time. This is Persona 5 on Vita, don't know what to say more. It works, maybe?

One thing with playing with Japanese VA that people who don't understand the language may miss out on, there's no subtitles for the movies when you go to a cinema in game. There's only sound for the movies. I believe they're all parodies for popular movies and the one for
The Dark Knight
is hilarious.
I was wondering about that.

The dub sometimes doesn't sync up to the amount of time allocated to the characters sitting there, and so I feel like it was just a chunk of time to do some free form localized comedy.

Arthos

Just found a store that is selling the game early in Miami. So excited to finally be playing the game. Can't believe it's finally here.

Glad to hear P5 works well on the Vita!

Nesther

Been playing it all day. What just stuns me is the presentation: not just the extremely stylish menus/UI, the story segments make use of really great cuts, camera angles and all sorts of tricks. The battle UI also floored me. Oozes style, it's so seamless and fluid.

DragonElm

Neo Member
Just managed to get my hands on an early copy. Will there be any penalties for playing it early? Should i turn off my ps4's wifi just in case?

daammyy

Im afraid of looking for tips and stuff in this thread because of the spoilers that have been posted... so my question is..are there any good tips in this thread(and what page?)
Cheers.

If I look up Trophies will I be spoiled? If so, can someone give me an over view of what kind of stuff you do to get trophies in this game? (Omit spoilers obviously lol)

Anyways, super pumped. Been playing through Persona 3 Portable while I wait.

Top Bottom