• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

RalchAC

I don't mind the art style actually; I'm mostly tired of really 'anime-y' tropes, that seem to cater either to both high school boys and or lonely old men, who have a virginity in common that will haunt both groups till their death. If you know what I mean. If Persona is without them, then yeah, I'll be interested to see what the fuss is about!

I'll put here a quote of something I previously said. It's been a long while since I played Persona 3, and while I think the overall opinion stands for that game, Persona 4 Golden is much more fresh in my mind.

The story in this games is something really especial, IMO. I haven't seen any other developers nailing what makes them succeed.

You are a high school student that gets in the middle of some weird stuff and have to, well, try to do our best to solve it. Persona 4 was about a weird serial killer throwing people to die in a dangerous world that was behind the TV and that only you and that killer (whoever he is) can enter.

When you are not doing dungeons, you have to spend your day like a normal student would do. That means you meet different people, hang out with them and do other stuff like studying, reading books or joining an export club.

Most of the time, the game is quite well written, characters feel believeable and the game touches in a lot of subjects that usually give teens problems. Especially the main cast. The different issues they have feel realistic and relatable, stuff that people at their age could suffer. Especially in Persona 4, those conflicts usually end in a positive note, and there is the overall feeling that if you get your shit together and open yourself to other people life will change for the better.

TL;DR: Persona makes an effort in creating relatable and well written characters, and then offers people that want to enter in a relationship with one of those characters the chance to do it. Most games treat their characters (aka waifus) as pieces of meat that are there to appeal to the lowest common denominator in the hope that some otakus will expend hundreds of dollars in merchandise.

Ratrat

Can't comment on how flat or fleshed out the characters are or aren't since I don't have the game, but damn.

Why paint with a broad brush if you can just use a paint roller, eh?
Seriously.
Its a very Japanese/anime game. And thats not a bad thing unless your an ignorant and close minded person intent on shitting on a medium.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Can't comment on how flat or fleshed out the characters are or aren't since I don't have the game, but damn.

Cause entertainment has too many Kanjis, Naotos, Aegises, Chies, etc.
Truly yawn inducing. Characters might as well be stick people with how flat and not 3 dimensional these archetypes are.

SomTervo

Seriously.
Its a very Japanese/anime game. And thats not a bad thing unless your an ignorant and close minded person intent on shitting on a medium.

Seriously I've tried so many shows, games, manga (probably 100+ at this point, obviously not every one though) and the same dialogue and tonal tropes just fucking drip out of every inch of most of them. A lot of it also comes down to the actual script and the VA which is my job and seeing it done like that miffs me to no end. It might be different in the native language but the localisation always relies on the same old shit.

More exceptions are cropping up all the time (as much as it was a flawed narrative, Psycho Pass was great for having non-archetypical characters and development) but even the exceptions usually sneak in little lines or inappropriate tonal lines that take me right out of the narrative.

Really looking forward to Persona 5 in general, but if it's done a good job at this, I'm definitely on board at launch. Need to support good work.

Cause entertainment has to many Kanjis, Naotos, Aegises, Chies, etc.
Truly yawn inducing. Characters might as well be stick people with how flat and not 3 dimensional these archetypes are.

Basically. The ratio is insane for derivative:eek:riginal works in terms of generic scripting and trope-pandering in this media.

But anyway, that's enough of a derail, let's get back to P5 early impressions.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Basically. The ratio is insane for derivative:eek:riginal works in terms of generic scripting and trope-pandering in this media.

But anyway, that's enough of a derail, let's get back to P5 early impressions.

This media? All media. Everything is boring and the same actually might stop consuming entertainment altogether. Heisenberg is basically just another Gohan, crybaby wimp turns hardass archetype/trope.

wapplew

12 hours in. Dungeons really good, a little challenge on normal too.
Minor nitpick, platforming and cover system not so smooth. Good enough for RPG tho.

SomTervo

This media? All media. Everything is boring and the same actually might stop consuming entertainment altogether. Heisenberg is basically just another Gohan, crybaby wimp turns hardass archetype/trope.

Lol, well to a different extent, and yes "everything is derivative, nothing is original", etc, ofc

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, well to a different extent, and yes "everything is derivative, nothing is original", etc, ofc

Yup, I feel like you kind of have pay attention to the nuance or else it's really a time waste.
I feel like for Persona especially when you do that you get stories around loved ones struggling with their significant other suffering from Alzheimer to the point of condemning them for it. Kids struggling with societal masculinity. Kids struggling with sexism to the point they don't feel a 100% comfortable as their given gender. Teens coming to terms with death at a young age. I guess these everyday omnipresent stories in media can maybe be pretty interesting once you look past the general overall superficial similarities.

Jb

Ah fuck I was so stoked when I got my copy today but I forgot the Japanese dub will only be available as DLC on April 4th.

God dammit. At least the main menu is really nice :)

4 hrs in.

Impressions so far:

- super stylish game the art is fantastic, which helps the game despite being a last gen title.

- Characters have depth and aren't just reskins resembling previous archetypes such as: yosuke, chie, teddy, jumpei, etc.

- Story quicks off fast, surprisingly dark and oppressive (not in some edgy way you'll understand once you play)

- Music is very chill/jazzy elevator like. It fits the game nothing memorable stands out at the moment.

- Menu is slick.

- despite logging in those hours I haven't been able to explore, let alone work or buy stuff.. or get new personas.. might be story related I guess.

-
Igor
new va is great and scary.. it's like talking to a demon. Still miss the old VA.

- lots of cutscenes coming from XV it's a refresher.

- background info provided so you get a good sense of who the MC is.. as well supporting characters.

Give the game 10/10 at the moment been engaged from beginning to end.

kewlmyc

4 hrs in.

Impressions so far:

- super stylish game the art is fantastic, which helps the game despite being a last gen title.

- Characters have depth and aren't just reskins resembling previous archetypes such as: yosuke, chie, teddy, jumpei, etc.

- Story quicks off fast, surprisingly dark and oppressive (not in some edgy way you'll understand once you play)

- Music is very chill/jazzy elevator like. It fits the game nothing memorable stands out at the moment.

- Menu is slick.

- despite logging in those hours I haven't been able to explore, let alone work or buy stuff.. or get new personas.. might be story related I guess.

-
Igor
new va is great and scary.. it's like talking to a demon. Still miss the old VA.

- lots of cutscenes coming from XV it's a refresher.

- background info provided so you get a good sense of who the MC is.. as well supporting characters.

Give the game 10/10 at the moment been engaged from beginning to end.

No point spoilering it since there's only one reoccuring character that this would apply to. :p

Kiro

Never played, seen or heard anything about a Persona game until this one. All I know is that it is loved by GAF. Going in blind and based totally on the trust of you fine people.

artsi

Never played, seen or heard anything about a Persona game until this one. All I know is that it is loved by GAF. Going in blind and based totally on the trust of you fine people.

Dude I'm so jealous.
I went in 100% blind with Persona 4 like you, and it was the greatest gaming experience I've had.

Yu Narukami

Wow you got some guts. GAF has deceived me more than once. Do you at least like 80+ hours JRPG? I am really not the right person to not recommend this game, but perhaps you shouldn't go totally blind.

thatJohann

Will this game have a Day 1 patch? I'm worried that if I get it early, there's gonna be a patch on day 1 with improvements. I heard the local indie shop near my office has it in stock right now (NYC). Debating.

Everything about this game looks stunning but one thing I'm worried about is a lack of vocals in tracks. I got the 20th anniversary CD set and the P5 cd has a few, but not as many as P3 or P4. Is that representative of the final game?

Personally the vocals are what make the previous games music so memorable.

Nachos

-
Igor
I just wish his acting weren't so wooden. He's clearly struggling to maintain the voice, which means he has to divert more attention to that than to the acting itself. Hoping he gets better, though.

What is his last name?.
I looked it up on Google, and no one else has mentioned it, so I'm not saying. Pretty sure it's still out there, though, since there's only so many places where it could've been said. Seems like he's trying to distance himself from it, at least professionally.

Will this game have a Day 1 patch? I'm worried that if I get it early, there's gonna be a patch on day 1 with improvements. I heard the local indie shop near my office has it in stock right now (NYC). Debating.

Day one patch is a JP dub

I just wish his acting weren't so wooden. He's clearly struggling to maintain the voice, which means he has to divert more attention to that than to the acting itself. Hoping he gets better, though.

The Christian bale of persona.

Lunar15

I thought TMS #FE was pretty fun.

TMS #FE is basically Persona-lite. If you enjoyed the pace of TMS and the battle system, you should feel very at home with Persona 5. They're different beasts but there's enough similarities for me to say that you enjoying Persona wouldn't be a stretch. Battle system is fast paced and focused on targeting weaknesses. You divide time between dungeon crawling and exploring a small map and boosting your stats/weapons through having conversations with teammates and other characters.

muteki

Everything about this game looks stunning but one thing I'm worried about is a lack of vocals in tracks. I got the 20th anniversary CD set and the P5 cd has a few, but not as many as P3 or P4. Is that representative of the final game?

Personally the vocals are what make the previous games music so memorable.

The released full OST has 110 tracks and Lyn is credited on 9 of them. Some of the vocal tracks are very common and heard throughout the game, but yeah, not to the degree as P4 or P3.

Capella

The released full OST has 110 tracks and Lyn is credited on 9 of them. Some of the vocal tracks are very common and heard throughout the game, but yeah, not to the degree as P4 or P3.

When comparing to P3 or P4 are you comparing it to their original releases and not re-releases, spin offs, etc. that included additional vocals?

muteki

When comparing to P3 or P4 are you comparing it to their original releases and not re-releases, spin offs, etc. that included additional vocals?
Personally I can only compare to P3P and P4G. I believe from other's impressions that it is less than the original versions as well.

So I live on Long Island and have never done the street date thing in NYC. Can a more informed Gaffer PM me some places to look for next time I'm out there to check out for this? Much appreciated in advance.

Guess Who

Banned

This is the most baffling fucking opinion about media I've ever read. if Heisenberg from Breaking Bad is the same character as Gohan to you just because they both follow a similar and absurdly broad character arc, then literally nothing anyone ever writes will ever be good enough to not count as "just a trope" to you. Hell, real human beings must just be tropes to you. Christ.

daevious

This is the most baffling fucking opinion about media I've ever read. if Heisenberg from Breaking Bad is the same character as Gohan to you just because they both follow a similar and absurdly broad character arc, then literally nothing anyone ever writes will ever be good enough to not count as "just a trope" to you. Hell, real human beings must just be tropes to you. Christ.

They're being reductive to make a point. Odds are they agree with you too.

Damn, that (now out of stock) eBay link was posted practically the minute I closed the thread yesterday ;_;

Based on the awkward-sounding translation I'd be tempted to go with Japanese audio, but I'm guessing the subtitles will just be from the awkward English translation anyway, so I may as well just stick with the dub. (Though those name pronunciations might get to me.) There's some alternate universe version of me that continued past the first year of Japanese in college and has already played the import version, lol.

Guess Who

Banned
They're being reductive to make a point. Odds are they agree with you too.

My sarcasm-meter admittedly might be busted, but I've definitely heard things like this said with a straight face from people who overdosed on TV Tropes and think they see the Matrix code in all media now. The previous post about "media has too many Kanjis, Naotos" etc. made me think they were serious, since there's no shortage of folks who think most of the P4 cast are just anime tropes.

daevious

My sarcasm-meter admittedly might be busted, but I've definitely heard things like this said with a straight face from people who overdosed on TV Tropes and think they see the Matrix code in all media now. The previous post about "media has too many Kanjis, Naotos" etc. made me think they were serious.

To be fair, the written word has a habit of making sarcasm look genuine.
Besides, there is no such thing as sarcasm on the internet, just varying degrees of hyperbole.

Top Bottom