• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Spoiler Free Early Impressions Thread

YaBish

Anyone know when reviews will be dropping for this one?
Waiting till payday to preorder, but I figure that it wouldn't hurt to hear some other opinions if I can before I preorder.

Anyone know when reviews will be dropping for this one?
Waiting till payday to preorder, but I figure that it wouldn't hurt to hear some other opinions if I can before I preorder.

March 29th @ 9 AM PST. Expect the review thread to be posted shortly before that.

Hey dudes this is the MOST IMPORTANT question:

Is the entire game a "blocked scene"?

I know it was in Japan but I'm hoping Atlus comes to their senses so I can stream this damn game for my brother.

Nachos

Hey dudes this is the MOST IMPORTANT question:

Is the entire game a "blocked scene"?

I know it was in Japan but I'm hoping Atlus comes to their senses so I can stream this damn game for my brother.

Seems like it, yeah.

There are cameo's on the "Who's who" channel that show up on the TV at home.

[NOT A STORY SPOILER, BUT IF YOU'RE HYPER SENSITIVE ABOUT SPOILERS DON'T MOUSE OVER THIS]
The killer from Persona 4 is one of them.

Those feel more like easter eggs to me. When I said cameos, I was thinking on the level of what Persona 4 and P3P did.

Not in the afterglow I played this 6 months ago. Persona 5 is absolutely a better game by any objective standard. It's better written, the core theme is far better integrated, all gameplay systems improved, the production is of course higher given the newer hardware.

But I have and will always say these things don't matter all when it comes to what your favorite persona game is. What matters is whether you connect with the core themes and the characters in the game and that part is incredibly subjective.

The best example of this is Persona 3 vs 4. Persona 4 in a similar vein is an absolutely better game than Persona 3, it too is better written and has better gameplay. But some people still prefer 3 over 4 mainly because of the vibe and characters.
I think I should've defined what I meant by being "better" than Persona 4. I don't mean that P5 won't have better graphics or dungeons or stuff like that. I'm sure it does. What I meant was that Persona 5 will be an improved version of Persona 4 and not the next level thing that I expected it to be. For instance, the social links are there but they still work pretty much the same way. The jobs you can do, the way your free time works, spending your time in school and clubs... they all from what I've seen looked like the improved versions of what we had in Persona 4.

Besides the dungeons and maybe combat (to some degree), the other elements of Persona 5 haven't really evolved from what we saw in Persona 4. They've only been improved. I was hoping for a P2 --> P3 kind of jump but what we got here feels more like a P3 --> P4 situation. So yeah, it'll be better than P4, but not really in the way that I wanted it to be.

Socivol

Question to people that played the game do the characters actually seem like friends? In P3, I never got the sense the characters were actually friends with each other just that they were fighting for a common goal. In P4 it was very clear the characters were not only fighting for the common goal but actually liked each other as well. I'm wondering if the character interactions are more like P3 or P4.

Any general suggestions for the game? Is SP hard to come by/should you avoid casting spells constantly? Are there good early personas to fuse or anything?

I haven't started playing y0 yet. Was it 'removed' in the sense that for a period of time after launch, the share button was blocked and then later that block was removed? Or was it never present save for the aforementioned last battle?

I was able to stream on day one. Until the last mission, of course.

I don't understand this "spoiler" mentality. If people want to watch the game instead of play there's nothing stopping them. All this "blocked scene" nonsense does is hurt people like me who don't want to invest in a major streaming setup since my audience is usually just my brother and some friends.

I was able to stream on day one. Until the last mission, of course.

I don't understand this "spoiler" mentality. If people want to watch the game instead of play it there's nothing stopping them. All this "blocked scene" nonsense does is hurt people like me who don't want to invest in a major streaming setup since my audience is usually just my brother and some friends.

It's further proof that Atlus is ass backwards with regards to a lot of things, willing to shoot itself in the foot to screw over fans.

But then again, they have always been anal about spoilers. Pretty much every Persona game, even the spinoffs, had Atlus sending out a small image basically saying 'Don't spoil, or else' and we all know the former exploits of Atlustube.

At the same time...it's hilariously ironic that while Atlus is very gleeful to tell people that
Adachi is the killer in Persona 4
Persona-GAF is still clinging to a complete blackout in that regard.

It's even more hilarious when you consider that those that are hellbent on trying to spoil the game, they'll resort to capture cards they probably have, or phone pics. So now you are back at square one. So what was the point of blocking ALL streaming done by the PS4 again?

Lunar15

I was under the impression that it's less about spoilers and more about people not just watching the whole game online.

Still doesn't make sense under that criteria, though.

I was under the impression that it's less about spoilers and more about people not just watching the whole game online.

I would not be a Persona fan if it wasn't for Giant Bomb recording the entirety of P4 online.

The series wasn't even on my radar until then.

You're still going to have people do that anyway, again by people with capture cards. Hell, there's probably people playing early English copies, or have played the entire game in Japanese on Twitch. So why the hell are Atlustube not cracking down on that if they are this hellbent on trying to protect players, supposedly?

It just reeks of Atlus Japan trying to take the easy way out and screw over fans. As per usual.

Edit: As posted above, most people know of Persona 4 via the famed Endurance Run. Is Atlus going to basically take it down if Giant Bomb even try to do it?

muteki

Any general suggestions for the game? Is SP hard to come by/should you avoid casting spells constantly? Are there good early personas to fuse or anything?

Early on SP is hard to come by and items to restore it are hard to find/expensive. It feels good managing it through the dungeon, and at least for the first one it will prevent you from completing it all in one go. There are plenty of "rest areas" though and shortcuts you can use so it doesn't feel like you are retracing the same steps over and over again.

I don't know if I would recommend any particular personas...I just fuse new ones every chance I get and make sure I keep at least one of each magic type.

This business with the block scene restrictions is probably going to be the same as P4A being region locked. It puts Atlus in exclusively awful company, and it reflects poorly on them.

Question to people that played the game do the characters actually seem like friends? In P3, I never got the sense the characters were actually friends with each other just that they were fighting for a common goal. In P4 it was very clear the characters were not only fighting for the common goal but actually liked each other as well. I'm wondering if the character interactions are more like P3 or P4.

I got 5hrs now played, so I haven't met the entire squad but.. ryuji and the MC get along particular well. The good thing is Ryuji isn't yosuke or jumpei.

He meant march.

Until THE LAST MISSION... which was major bullshit.
I agree. Though it was still hell of a lot better than having the whole game blocked like how the JP version is.

Atlus is absolutely anal about spoilers, so I seriously doubt they will ever remove it.
Which is ironic since they are releasing the game 7 months after the Japanese version so everything is already there on the Youtube.

I haven't started playing y0 yet. Was it 'removed' in the sense that for a period of time after launch, the share button was blocked and then later that block was removed? Or was it never present save for the aforementioned last battle?
The JP version won't let you use your share button at all during the story. So iirc the entire game is blocked until you reach the Premium Adventure mode. In the western version Atlus removed that stupid restriction and let you share anything about the game until finale. Only the stuff that happen in finale are restricted in western version of the game.

It didn't happen during an update if that's what you were wondering about. The western version was share free from the get go. Though, they did listen to feedback from fans and patch the Sega logo that would appear when you'd take screen shots.
NlwmmTqwY.png

NlwmtM1N6.png

Lunar15

I would not be a Persona fan if it wasn't for Giant Bomb recording the entirety of P4 online.

The series wasn't even on my radar until then.

You're still going to have people do that anyway, again by people with capture cards. Hell, there's probably people playing early English copies, or have played the entire game in Japanese on Twitch. So why the hell are Atlustube not cracking down on that if they are this hellbent on trying to protect players, supposedly?

It just reeks of Atlus Japan trying to take the easy way out and screw over fans. As per usual.

Edit: As posted above, most people know of Persona 4 via the famed Endurance Run. Is Atlus going to basically take it down if Giant Bomb even try to do it?

I agree with y'all. It's a dumb decision. Just explaining what the true motive is.

Which is ironic since they are releasing the game 7 months after the Japanese version so everything is already there on the Youtube.

Exactly. I have seen a lot of screenshots posted in the various Tumblr tags of characters as well. So once again, great fucking job Atlus. *golf clap*

I agree with y'all. It's a dumb decision. Just explaining what the true motive is.

Well, maybe being lumped in with Rocksteady for 'Most boneheaded way to prevent spoilers this generation' will make them change their minds.

data

Probably a very very veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long shot... but is there anyone in Belgium that knows a store that's selling this early?

Okay where in NYC. Someone send a PM!!!

Will this game have a Day 1 patch? I'm worried that if I get it early, there's gonna be a patch on day 1 with improvements. I heard the local indie shop near my office has it in stock right now (NYC). Debating.

tell tell tell!

MTC100

Banned
Several lucky gaffers have managed to snag the game today in NYC and elsewhere, and more will likely be able to do so in the near future; knowing that, let's discuss it here until the Review Thread and OT hit.

Two questions:

HOW!?!!

and

If the games are packaged already, why do we have to wait another week? ATLUS GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER >_>

Cause entertainment has too many Kanjis, Naotos, Aegises, Chies, etc.
Truly yawn inducing. Characters might as well be stick people with how flat and not 3 dimensional these archetypes are.
Compared to Persona 3 the sequel (P4) is choke full of tropes.
  • Yosuke is basically Junpei 2.0 but without the maturation (I mean Junpei basically has to suffer through the most shit throughout the game and you can really see him develop as a result). At least he does become less insecure and confident through the social links and him developing a strongly implied boy-crush on you was amusing (especially considering the way he reacts to Kanji in the early parts of the game)
  • Chie is fun to be around with but besides the 'cool and fun tomgirl that is athletic, likes Kung Fu movies and steak' there is not really any depth to her and almost 0 character development
  • Yukiko... sigh, social link spoiler:
    It's absolutely sad to watch the "beautful, refined, obedient perfect Japanese house wife trope character try to break out of her trope, make her own decisions and future and develop as a character... only to do a complete 180 during the last 3 or so events and return exactly to what she was in the beginning, the obedient daughter that inherits the family business and does what is expected of her
  • Rise: Is basically a massive fanservice character and the personified "the popular and beatiful idol that has nothing in her mind but chasing and dating the more ordinary male main character" trope. Almost all she does is being kawaii and going "kyaaaaa, senpaiiiiiiiiiii ❤❤❤"

Only Teddy (even if I don't like the character himself and think he is rather obnoxious, he at least has a unique design and breaks the entire "pet mascot character" thing halfway through), Naoto and Kanji (who disappointingly enough somehow turns to "nono, I actually was not gay or even bi after all" as part of his character development, disappointing playing it save ATLUS, at least they did the opposite in Catherine, hehe) were standout characters from the main cast.
Most of the characters remaining flat and having limited character development was disappointing especially after the whole "face your shadow and go beyond your fears and what you pretend to be" scenario every single one of them goes through.
It was also disappointing coming from Persona 3 where pretty much every single character is confronted with drastic changes in their lives as part of the story and goes through some drastic character development, Koromaru aside. Persona 3 also had much more realistic and interesting character relationship dynamics as they were basically all people being forced to live and fight together by the circumstances despite not liking or outright hating several other of the characters. That makes them developing genuine bonds during the story all the more impactful. Meanwhile Persona 4 is all about the Scooby Doo gang that sticks together and is best buddies, the odd friendly taunt from Chie against Yosuke aside. The side characters (especially Adachi and Dojima) were better, but even then lose out against the competition in Persona 3, especially for the social-link only characters.

Good thing it seems Persona 5 heavily takes from Persona 3 and Catherine as far as characters are concerned rather than P4.

Top Bottom