• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh the only reason I think dungeon crawling is better in P4 is the variety in the look/music of the dungeons. The layouts are still boring as hell.

I did like the look of the Harabah block at least:

62-Persona3-37-150.jpg

Yea I agree. I got really bored in tartarus but P4 with the unique looks and new theme each time, it remained fresh albeit boring layout wise.

CorvoSol

Tbh the only reason I think dungeon crawling is better in P4 is the variety in the look/music of the dungeons. The layouts are still boring as hell.

I did like the look of the Harabah block at least:

62-Persona3-37-150.jpg

Yeah I can't stand dungeon crawling in Tartarus because after awhile even Fuuka's 4 tracks get boring as fuck. Plus, Tartarus rarely changes in appearance.

I mean, P4's dungeons ain't great, but they're a lot less monotonous than Tartarus.

I actually wish that P3 had made each Full Moon its own dungeon, too. Then there would've been some variety.

arue

I actually wish that P3 had made each Full Moon its own dungeon, too. Then there would've been some variety.
If this feature was in the game, then I'd have no problem with Tartarus at all. P3 has the love hotel and the train for the Full Moon missions, but that' was not enough, as they only lasted for a day.

Fun fact: I almost gave up on P3P because of Tartarus. If the story didn't pull me in, then I doubt I will be a Persona fan now ._.;

Jintor

I'm actually quite enjoying PQ's dungeon crawling

needs more S.linking and calender tho

The actual thing I like gameplay-wise about Persona is the time management aspect I guess

FluxWaveZ

Atlus.net still thinks P5 and P4D are coming out in 2014, heh. It also labels PQ as [RPG] while all of the EO games are [3D dungeon RPG]. Also, the Devil Survivor games are listed as [Simulation RPG]. Also P4D is a [P Sound Action] game.

Caladrius

The actual thing I like gameplay-wise about Persona is the time management aspect I guess

Yeah, that's probably the biggest obstacle (aside from the premise and art direction) to me getting PQ. I'm more invested for the social sim aspects than the dungeon crawling.

Atlus.net still thinks P5 and P4D are coming out in 2014, heh. It also labels PQ as [RPG] while all of the EO games are [3D dungeon RPG]. Also, the Devil Survivor games are listed as [Simulation RPG]. Also P4D is a [P Sound Action] game.

What the fuck is P Sound Action.

Sophia

The Devil Survivor one isn't unusual. That's simply what Japan calls Tactics RPGs like Devil Survivor, Tactics Ogre, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

FluxWaveZ

The Devil Survivor one isn't unusual. That's simply what Japan calls Tactics RPGs like Devil Survivor, Tactics Ogre, and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I inferred. It is the first time I heard that term, though. Well, that and "Sound Action", heh.

PK Gaming

The s.link itch will be scratched when you meet up with the other party.

FluxWaveZ

The s.link itch will be scratched when you meet up with the other party.

Indeed. PQ is much more akin to P3/P4 than I had envisioned before playing it. The amount of dialogue, story, fanservice and the Strolls system makes for a good amount of breathers in-between the dungeon crawling. There's even the dichotomy of "real world" and "Shadow world" going on, though it's obviously not quite the same in PQ.

Unrelated: One Persona event I remembered was happening before February 2nd is the P4GA event on January 25th. Probably won't have much of note, though... Same for Persona Dream Concert on January 17th.

Nope. Poor us. :(
Ugh. I thought Atlus would get better with EU releases after the Sega buyout but nope.

Indeed. PQ is much more akin to P3/P4 than I had envisioned before playing it. The amount of dialogue, story, fanservice and the Strolls system makes for a good amount of breathers in-between the dungeon crawling. There's even the dichotomy of "real world" and "Shadow world" going on, though it's obviously not quite the same in PQ.

Unrelated: One Persona event I remembered was happening before February 2nd is the P4GA event on January 25th. Probably won't have much of note, though... Same for Persona Dream Concert on January 17th.
BTW I heard PQ was canon. Does it actually explain anything from the series or is it a completely standalone adventure that has no relation to other events in the series?

I dunno. I honestly think the lack of a day system is a benefit. You're not under any time constraint to get s-links maxed out, which to me makes the character moments more genuine as opposed to the chore some of the s-links could feel like back in P3 and P4.

Ugh. I thought Atlus would get better with EU releases after the Sega buyout but nope.

I'm not sure how not releasing an older Persona game is indicative of Atlus failing to get better at releasing games in Europe after the Sega buyout. Judgement on that front should be focused on games that Atlus releases after the buyout, not before. An EU release of Eternal Punishment on PSN would be really cool, but I can hardly see it being a major focus for Sega/Atlus, considering there are still some kinks with new Atlus releases that are just recently being smoothed out. Plus, the earlier Persona games in general aren't guaranteed sales.

EDIT: That originally came out more rudely than I intended. Edited for tone.

*tilts head*
I'm so confused...

EDIT: SMT4 was a good enough reason for me to get one.
FE:A too, but that's not the franchise we're here for...

rObit

Banned
You guys are really making me want to buy a 3DS just for one game. Why do you do this to me?

Okay I'd probably get Mario Golf, too. And maybe Pokemon. Fuck, I should get a 3DS.

Verder

Oh hey! A new OT.
I wonder if persona 5 is going to be turn base or action RPG with a gameplay style like kingdom hearts?

Have the main char run around and just press like L1/R1 to switch characters and then just press the main buttons to use persona/main attack.

The fact that I gotta even think about this hurts.. ATLUS show us something. Even like a few seconds of gameplay

You guys are really making me want to buy a 3DS just for one game. Why do you do this to me?

Okay I'd probably get Mario Golf, too. And maybe Pokemon. Fuck, I should get a 3DS.

DO IT!

I specifically bought one for PQ and have plenty of games on it that I really enjoy.

I did a similar thing for P4G and that worked out great!

Xenoflare

Do it the 3DS has a few of SMT games

Devil Survivor Overclocked
SMTIV
Soul Hackers
Persona Q
Devil Survivor 2 BR which should come up soon...

Sophia

I'd suggest waiting for the New 3DS.

Right now the New 3DS only has one exclusive game coming for, and it's a port. If you're not interested in that game, then it's probably not worth waiting for. Find a 3DS XL or 2DS for cheaper than average and take the plunge!

Atlus alone has many amazing RPGs on the DS and 3DS. Then you have Nintendo's impressive output...

rObit

Banned
DO IT!

I specifically bought one for PQ and have plenty of games on it that I really enjoy.

I did a similar thing for P4G and that worked out great!

This is a good point. I did the same thing.

I'd suggest waiting for the New 3DS.

I had forgotten that this was announced....Peering around the internet and there's still no release date for North America other than 2015? Kind of a bummer.

Right now the New 3DS only has one exclusive game coming for, and it's a port. If you're not interested in that game, then it's probably not worth waiting for. Find a 3DS XL or 2DS for cheaper than average and take the plunge!

Atlus alone has many amazing RPGs on the DS and 3DS. Then you have Nintendo's impressive output...

Whoa, did they stop making the regular 3DS? I thought I remembered seeing it for $150 but now I can't seem to find a new one anywhere except for limited editions and stuff. And thanks for the advice, if the New 3DS ends up becoming worth it in the future I could just trade it in, I don't mind that much.

Sophia

Whoa, did they stop making the regular 3DS? I thought I remembered seeing it for $150 but now I can't seem to find a new one anywhere except for limited editions and stuff. And thanks for the advice, if the New 3DS ends up becoming worth it in the future I could just trade it in, I don't mind that much.

They still seem to be in stock at Gamestop new. That said, the awful form factor of the very first 3DS makes it a hard buy. I went up to a 3DS XL recently thanks to the help of a fellow PersonaGAF member, and the difference in comfort between the two systems was night and day.

rObit

Banned
They still seem to be in stock at Gamestop new. That said, the awful form factor of the very first 3DS makes it a hard buy. I went up to a 3DS XL recently thanks to the help of a fellow PersonaGAF member, and the difference in comfort between the two systems was night and day.

Alright, well I'm not so desperate to get one to buy one this very second. I'll keep an eye out and see if any XL sales pop up anywhere. I know I just missed out with Black Friday, but you guys weren't hyping PQ quite so convincingly then. -_-

Holy shit you guys. At a PSX event and someone introduced me to a big Persona fan. Talked to her for like 10 minutes before she had to leave, COMPLETELY IGNORANT TO THE FACT IT WAS LAURA BAILEY.

Awaiting punishment.

wow......how can one mess up so much.

Btw why does Atlus not like EU :(

Messiah

Do it the 3DS has a few of SMT games

Devil Survivor Overclocked
SMTIV
Soul Hackers
Persona Q
Devil Survivor 2 BR which should come up soon...

Now that you mention it, the bolded games are not connected and I can play them in any order I want right?

PQ question for the first request:
Can Zen actually win or lose against teddie or will it always end in a draw?

Setsu00

Now that you mention it, the bolded games are not connected and I can play them in any order I want right?

Zen can win.

Sophia

Every game you quoted except for Persona Q is standalone.

As for your question:
Teddie cheated on the one I chose, and Zen easily won anyhow despite the cheating.

In my original P4G run I never used more than a single day to get through a dungeon.

In this second run I decided to use another day, for the sake of getting more money..... but now I'm level 70 and it's only the second day of August. So this is what people meant about it being easy to overlevel huh

FluxWaveZ

No, no, haha! Guess I could run with this if I wanted to, but I meant I used Firebug to modify the website's resources myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom