• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Thats my point is not like "bitch you are so broken you cant buy a 6.99 pack " is the fact if buy all of them you can literally buy a ps3 copy of the game again.

Still thinking the 2.99 packs are even more absurd , even if the DLC personas are broken ASF (which ruin the game fun) is pricy tho.

EDIT : For some reason my browser show the swimsuit pack for 7 bucks , but it seems is for free.... cool.

Just think of the DLC Personas as, like, level grinding DLC or some other form of pay to win DLC

Nachos

Polygon just put up 15 minutes of Gameplay footage with Phil and Griffin.

Looks like the overly-literal translations are still in there, though:
fxHAW42.jpg

vaporeon

Honestly, knowing that I'll probably either mess up some exams (due to skipping study) and play it early; or leave it to after exams and play it during summer somehow, my hype is deflated quite a bit. :(
Dude, study for your exams. Seriously. :(
Unless you're in high school, then fuck it.

Mediking

Honestly, knowing that I'll probably either mess up some exams (due to skipping study) and play it early; or leave it to after exams and play it during summer somehow, my hype is deflated quite a bit. :(

Trailer didn't do much for me, I guess it's about time I go on a blackout- I was annoyed that there was new footage (of Persona awakening scenes, etc.) in there lol. Did like the transitions, though.

I'm in my senior year of college and my study habits havent changed at all. I stay play games when I whenever I should be studying. Its super risky though. But juggling work and college is stressful so I need my games.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

I still hate that steelbook. The artwork is great, but it wasn't designed for two sides of a cover like that, and looks really tacky. It just seems misleading and silly to have Ryuji, Futaba, and Haru on the front cover, and Makoto, Anne, and Goro on the back. Why design a cover that only looks good when you open it and lay it flat? Nobody will ever do that.
It worked way better in the box for the 20th Anniversary Edition. Speaking of, the box for the TYH version also looks pretty awful and could've benefitted from that art.

Dude, study for your exams. Seriously. :(
Unless you're in high school, then fuck it.

lol

They should still study for their exams. Didn't Persona 4 thought you guys anything? :p

Persona 4 was the only time in my high school life when I actually studied hard and was successful in exams. It was one of the most emotionally satisfying aspects of the game to me. :( Think I had Knowledge maxed out right after the first exams...

I'm in high school, but it's one of the country's best and everyone, including myself, expects great things from me. So lazing around is not much of an option...

I'm in my senior year of college and my study habits havent changed at all. I stay play games when I whenever I should be studying. Its super risky though. But juggling work and college is stressful so I need my games.

I feel that I'll inevitably become this.

These DLC prices are crazy. If you want all these costumes, or rather skins and Personas.

You easily pay 68 $.

And those aren't even all costumes, I crossed out which are revealed now. They basically release 9 costume packs now and the other 9 after may 2nd.

Ki148t9.jpg

And it leaves 5 Persona packs.

738188457d359fc0b358793680fe6e78f0d0cfa0539a3106fd2556ba48248cbb8b4b25f6.jpg

You will pay more than 130 $ for every DLC.

Nachos

As expected from you? Yuck. Who the hell did they have translating it?
Considering they got people to read these lines aloud and didn't notice anything weird, it almost feels like it was done by ex-NISA people. Wonder if it can top Danganronpa 2's rushjob, though.

I still hate that steelbook. The artwork is great, but it wasn't designed for two sides of a cover like that, and looks really tacky. It just seems misleading and silly to have Ryuji, Futaba, and Haru on the front cover, and Makoto, Anne, and Goro on the back. Why design a cover that only looks good when you open it and lay it flat? Nobody will ever do that.
It worked way better in the box for the 20th Anniversary Edition. Speaking of, the box for the TYH version also looks pretty awful and could've benefitted from that art.
Yeah, I only needed to see the mock-up to know I only wanted the regular box.

Lunar15

I wonder if Nich worked on BotW at all. The game's dialogue choices are top-notch and a lot of them remind me of P4's snappiness. Link can be a little prick sometimes and it's great.

Part of what made P4 so incredibly endearing was definitely the localization. While the game naturally had charm through its original japanese version, you could tell the translators added pep and character where necessary. Definitely think that's one of the main reasons Giant Bomb fell in love with it.

PK Gaming

I wonder if Nich worked on BotW at all. The game's dialogue choices are top-notch and a lot of them remind me of P4's snappiness. Link can be a little prick sometimes and it's great.

Part of what made P4 so incredibly endearing was definitely the localization. While the game naturally had charm through its original japanese version, you could tell the translators added pep and character where necessary. Definitely think that's one of the main reasons Giant Bomb fell in love with it.

I'm just floored by the fact that one person made such a difference. I could feel his influence in Fire Emblem: Fates as well, which is just insane.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Eh, the practice of Atlus' exorbitant DLC pricing was likely to continue - hopefully we get some form of a bundle after a while.

But I'm admittedly a bit out of the loop - how are the DLC persona busted enough to be equivalent to SMTIV's 'cheat' DLC? Just that their stats are so strong?

Nachos

What's wrong with it?
Maybe I'm off-base, but literally the only time I've ever seen that phrase used is in Japanese fan translations. It's the most literal translation of さすが you can get, when something like "You did it, Joker!" or "Way to go!" would've sounded more natural.

It's basically on the level of しょうがない for phrases that are super common in Japanese, but sound weird in English when translated literally, especially when they're translated the same way every time.

I just looked the credits up, and yeah, he worked on it as a localizer.

Lynx_7

Man, I'm just glad english isn't my mother tongue so I don't really notice this awkwardness you guys are talking about most of the time. It's only really distracting to me when it's Cyber Sleuth or PS1 era bad.

Lunar15

Definitely don't want to pin it on one person. Localization is a team effort.

On Persona 4, I don't think Japanese Kanji and Rise work nearly as well as their English counterparts. I could really feel this in the anime adaptations.

Makio

Man, I'm just glad english isn't my mother tongue so I don't really notice this awkwardness you guys are talking about most of the time.

This,

And JFC more than $100 in DLC if they release all the DLC japan has with those prices , fuck them really.
I really gonna spend like $20 in a couple of costumes pack or something.

PK Gaming

On Persona 4, I don't think Japanese Kanji and Rise work nearly as well as their English counterparts. I could really feel this in the anime adaptations.

Oh absolutely

It's just... when you can feel a particular person's style, that's gotta mean something

Mediking

These DLC prices are crazy. If you want all these costumes, or rather skins and Personas.

You easily pay 68 $.

And those aren't even all costumes, I crossed out which are revealed now. They basically release 9 costume packs now and the other 9 after may 2nd.

Ki148t9.jpg

And it leaves 5 Persona packs.

738188457d359fc0b358793680fe6e78f0d0cfa0539a3106fd2556ba48248cbb8b4b25f6.jpg

You will pay more than 130 $ for every DLC.

Go ahead and call me a money spending fool.

Buying ALL the costumes.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

You easily pay 68 $.

Of the costumes that aren't crossed out, only the SMT if and Arena ones should be paid. There's absolutely no way they'll get away with making people pay for the Everyday outfits, since they're literally content in the base game. I do wonder why those haven't been listed, maybe they decided to just include them in the base game rather than have them as free DLC?
The christmas costumes and maid/butler ones should be free too, since they were in Japan. Hopefully...

Would have liked something like this instead :/

Maybe I'm off-base, but literally the only time I've ever seen that phrase used is in Japanese fan translations. It's the most literal translation of さすが you can get, when something like "You did it, Joker!" or "Way to go!" would've sounded more natural.

It's basically on the level of しょうがない for phrases that are super common in Japanese, but sound weird in English when translated literally, especially when they're translated the same way every time.

It can't be helped; as expected of someone living a normal school life! But if we work hard, everything will be 大丈夫!

On a more serious note though, this is a good example of what a difference a good localization can bring. People like Nich or Brittany from Xseed (loc editor from Trails of Cold Steel) are great examples of bringing a lot of personality to a script, and the games being much better of for it. I think it's a shame that P5 went the overly literal route, but it is what it is, so I'll just enjoy it as much as I can. I don't think it's localization will be one of it's strongest points like in P4, and I certainly don't think it will set a new gold standard for Atlus USA, but it could have always been worse.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Considering they got people to read these lines aloud and didn't notice anything weird, it almost feels like it was done by ex-NISA people. Wonder if it can top Danganronpa 2's rushjob, though.

The "as expected" line is probably not voiced. Most all of the brief in-dungeon stuff is unvoiced, excepting story scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if given the sheer amount of dialogue in the game, they did fewer editing passes on lines like these since they're pretty insignificant.
That said, there are still a bunch of really stiff sounding voiced lines in the mix, so it's tough to say what's going on for sure. I wouldn't say the root of the problem is a literal translation though, since while a number of these lines sound like the result of a literal translation, a good number of them are just badly written. Lines that don't need to be edited or reworked, since their literal translation sounds perfectly natural are getting changes that make them sound even more stiff, like the "subservient puppet" line, which isn't even close to the original one, yet stilted nonetheless. And then lines that sound really stiff aren't being changed at all to sound more natural, and some aren't just being translated literally - they're being written in the most absurd of ways, like "are you really a bad person as the rumor says?" You can translate that line in a fairly literal way and not have it sound as stilted as that.

On an unrelated note to that, all the talk of P5 has made me start another playthrough on it, and you guys, this game is really fucking good. I forgot how good it was.

A team's only as good as the sum of its parts.

Mediking

!!!! Oh, yeah. I am accumulating Persona 5 fanart for that Persona 5 fanart thread I mentioned earlier that will go live a week or so before the OT releases. I am grabbing Persona 5 from many places... even from very talented Persona GAF members. SO.... if there's a certain piece of art you want in the thread... lemme know. Then again... you could literally post it in the thread when it goes live so... lol.

barybll

Banned
Im gonna go with japanese audio
But I wont escape some awful localization choices for the text tho

"WASSUP my subservient puppet are you really a bad person like rumors say?" is nightmarish shit

Im gonna go with japanese audio
But I wont escape some awful localization choices for the text tho

"WASSUP my subservient puppet" is nightmarish shit

That's the thing.
If the translation's going to be a mess either way, might as well give the dub VAs a fair shake.
There's sure to be some clunkers, but c'est la vie.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
That's the thing.
If the translation's going to be a mess either way, might as well give the dub VAs a fair shake.
There's sure to be some clunkers, but c'est la vie.

I don't know. I'd say that the literally translated lines will be far more noticeably stiff when actually read out by the English VA than just serving as subtitles for the Japanese.
I can vouch for the quality of the Japanese VA, and sincerely doubt an inconsistent translation is going to take away from that. The English one really isn't looking too hot in comparison. If I were to recommend one, it'd be the Japanese for sure at this rate.

Lunar15

I feel pretty good about the voice acting. Haven't really disliked much and Morgana is growing on me. I don't think there's much we've seen outside of some wonky dialogue to be worried about.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I feel pretty good about the voice acting. Haven't really disliked much and Morgana is growing on me. I don't think there's much we've seen outside of some wonky dialogue to be worried about.

I really like Mokoto and Hifumi's VA's (for obvious reasons) and the P5MC VA has grown on me. Just need to hear it more.

vaporeon

I'm in high school, but it's one of the country's best and everyone, including myself, expects great things from me. So lazing around is not much of an option...
I'd definitely regret blowing an exam way more than I would ever regret not playing a game at launch.
Try setting up a rewards system, certain amount of hours of studying = one hour of playtime?

Bayonetta 2 was my go-to game during my senior year + having 2 jobs. Perfect game to rewind with. 😏

Sophia

I'm a firm believer that most localizations should try to avoid Japanese stock phrases. There's almost always a better way to translate the dialogue, and no reason to leave them in. It's really jarring when I see them in a professional translation.

Top Bottom