• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Dantis

Well, let's not pretend that voicing a mascot character in an anime is Oscar worthy and dubbing a video game is community theater. There's certainly a difference in prominence, but without taking anything away from Otani (she's a legend), I don't think it's fair to imply there's a comically large difference in the acting chops involved.

I was referring to

It's a pretty star-studded cast of voice actors/actresses on the Japanese side

not the Pikachu lady.

I was referring to

not the Pikachu lady.

I still don't think your implication about the English cast is fair. I think the Japanese cast are much more well known, and are also very talented, but a lot of their more famous roles are still pretty typical anime fair. A lot like Cold Steel.

Mr. Hyde

Thanks. I imagine that with all that the systems the game will take some time to become comfortable with/understand? That's the problem I had with them in the past-- I keep restarting once I felt like I made too many mistakes.

Do not do this. Treat Persona like it's your own real life, mistakes and all. When I first played Persona 3, I tried to use a guide and it kind of killed the fun. Once I started over and did it my own way, I had the time of my life.

Dantis

I still don't think your implication about the English cast is fair. I think the Japanese cast are much more well known, and are also very talented, but a lot of their more famous roles are still pretty typical anime fair. A lot like Cold Steel.

I mean, this conversation is probably going to develop into more than what it should do now that we're carrying it on, but even so, a lot of people have said that Persona 5's VO is amongst the greatest they've ever heard in a Japanese videogame.

This will not be the case for the English VO. I mean, not to say some people won't say it - I'm sure they will - but it won't actually be.

So maybe P5's cast do similar roles to the JP cast. I honestly have no idea (don't even know who any of them are on either side besides Matt Mercer!). But based on the information that we have, I feel confident saying that the Japanese actors (and presumably script, to be fair) are superior to the English equivalents.

I mean, this conversation is probably going to develop into more than what it should do now that we're carrying it on, but even so, a lot of people have said that Persona 5's VO is amongst the greatest they've ever heard in a Japanese videogame.

This will not be the case for the English VO. I mean, not to say some people won't say it - I'm sure they will - but it won't actually be.

So maybe P5's cast do similar roles to the JP cast. I honestly have no idea (don't even know who any of them are on either side besides Matt Mercer!). But based on the information that we have, I feel confident saying that the Japanese actors (and presumably script, to be fair) are superior to the English equivalents.
Hell, I agree with you for the most part. I think the Japanese VO and script are probably better than the English, at least relative to the competition (English VO is at its peak in things like The Last of Us, whereas P5 can be seen as the peak in Japanese games). The only thing I'm taking issue with is the portrayal of the English cast as being an entirely different grade of actors when I don't think that's fair. I think the Japanese version of P5 is like a perfect storm of a lot of talented people bringing their A game, and that'd be tough for anyone to match. But I think the English VA will at least be comparable to that, even if it's still not quite as good.

DNAbro

One of my the main differences for me personally is that after hearing all the JP voices for P5 there isn't one I dislike and their performances are top of the line. This wasn't the case for Persona 4 where I definitely prefer the English VAs to some of the JP ones. I haven't been convinced yet that they are going to knock it out of the park. Still going to play in English first time through and hope they impress.

Dantis

Some of the English voices sound a bit shonky I think. Ann and Ryuji are the only two that sound spot on in my opinion.

Setsu00

The dialogue font in the Chinese version looks worse than the NA version if you ask me:

P5-China-4.jpg

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
The dialogue font in the Chinese version looks worse than the NA version if you ask me:

P5-China-4.jpg

I can't say I agree. The English doesn't look fantastic, but the font itself is a much closer match to the Japanese one in line thickness and style and looks way less out of place in the textboxes than the English one. The UI for the Chinese version just has me more upset with how terrible Atlus USA's one looks in comparison too, and comments like the following just hurt to read:
Naoto Hiraoka said:
Regarding the unique font used in Persona 5, Hiraoka says that the translators responsible for the Asian region made a lot of attempts for the P5 text style to remain consistent. P5 contains very unique UI and other elements, and they did their best to not go against the atmosphere of the game’s Japanese version, which was a very difficult task.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Do not do this. Treat Persona like it's your own real life, mistakes and all. When I first played Persona 3, I tried to use a guide and it kind of killed the fun. Once I started over and did it my own way, I had the time of my life.

Thanks. And good advice...

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Persona 5 |OT| Winter 2014

Persona 5 |OT| There you are, you otaku son of a bitch

Persona 5 |OT| The real Final Fantasy

Persona 5 |OT| Beneath the mask

Persona 5 |OT| Waifu war never changes

Persona 5 |OT| Hardin redeemed

Persona 5 |OT| The Last Surprise

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
But what does that have to do with P5???

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not? P5 has been stated to have been hugely inspired by Lupin III, to the point where the Cafe you stay in is named after the author of the French novels, the Protagonist's Persona is Arsene Lupin himself, and there are a bunch of other references throughout the game.

Mediking

Anime about Arsene Lupin's Grandson. Who is also a thief but a more modern (for the time period his stuff is set in) one.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not? P5 has been stated to have been hugely inspired by Lupin III, to the point where the Cafe you stay in is named after the author of the French novels, the Protagonist's Persona is Arsene Lupin himself, and there are a bunch of other references throughout the game.

Supernatural-Jensen-Ackles-Dean-Winchester-Confused-GIF.gif

hqdefault.jpg

Ohhh..... I get it... I think...

Persona 5 |OT| Winter 2014

Persona 5 |OT| There you are, you otaku son of a bitch

Persona 5 |OT| The real Final Fantasy

Persona 5 |OT| Beneath the mask

Persona 5 |OT| Waifu war never changes

Persona 5 |OT| Hardin redeemed

Persona 5 |OT| The Last Surprise

Hahahahah all these are great.

PK Gaming

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was being ironic...

Mobile Suit Gooch

Persona 5 |OT| Heart of the cards

Persona 5 |OT| Twin magic

Persona 5 |OT| Fighting evil by moonlight

Persona 5 |OT| Woke up, got out, went out there!

Mobile Suit Gooch

Persona 5 |OT| Tokyo Jungle

Persona 5 |OT| Save the world from shitty adults

Persona 5 |OT| Thieves in the Night

Persona 5 |OT| make the blasphemers repent!

Persona 5 |OT| Our future with our hearts

Persona 5 |OT| The Whims of Fate

Persona 5 |OT| The show's over.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Persona 5 |OT| Is this a JoJo reference?

Persona 5 |OT| The breakers of us all

Persona 5 |OT| Wake me up inside

Persona 5 |OT| Why does nobody want to change?

Persona 5 |OT| Who knows where the whims of fate may lead us?

That is ridiculously suspect.

I wanna bet it was linked somewhere. I wonder where...

Exactly. Until both it and Unfuckwithable Coolness got a boost from out of nowhere, Lupin the 5th was in a steady first place.

I'll likely be reposting the poll with captcha voting, and replacing the Dorobou option with "Larceny is Over", since some seem to like that one.

I'm not sure it's a good idea, because it's going to baffle even more people than a Lupin reference.

Yeah, it's charming for those who get the reference, but the Lupin reference holds more connection to the game.

Top Bottom