• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Sophia

The translation is largely fine so far, but I also feel like I'm looking for stuff to call out. Feels bad.

It does kinda feel like a lot of statements aren't well connected? Hard to explain. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Only real complaint so far is the walking and running movement. It doesn't feel too good.

I love Ryuji's VA though.

I do feel like there's a few lines that are odd, but for the most part I'm not caring too much. The voice acting is fantastic across the board.

Also this might be one of the hardest Shin Megami Tensei games since Strange Journey. Hard Mode does not mess around. o_o;

The translation is largely fine so far, but I also feel like I'm looking for stuff to call out. Feels bad.

It does kinda feel like a lot of statements aren't well connected? Hard to explain. Anyway, I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Only real complaint so far is the walking and running movement. It doesn't feel too good.

I love Ryuji's VA though.

The stilted translations do bother me, but also the English VA. I haven't heard all the party yet so maybe it gets better, but my general feeling a couple hours in is that everyone except maybe Morgana is over-acting. There's no subtlety to the performances and definitely no chill. They just don't feel like real people. Some of the P3 voices were a bit over-the-top also, but maybe I just liked the characters better. Or maybe my expectations have changed since 2008. I think I'm going to switch to the JP audio even though I'll miss out on some lines.

Mediking

Igor's new voice... that 10 second scene of Goro.... lol didn't see that coming.

I thought Goro's voice would sound deeper. Igor sounds like a demon. His eyes are going crazy.

The mispronunciations of Ann's and Ryuji's last names is definitely irksome, but at least it's consistent for the most part? Well, minus Mishima who actually said Sakamoto correctly! It's an annoying minor thing, but overall, the English VAs have been pretty great so far.

Man, I can't tell you how great it is to finally be playing a new mainline Persona entry. It all feels wonderfully familiar but fresh and exciting.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Igor's new voice... that 10 second scene of Goro.... lol didn't see that coming.

I thought Goro's voice would sound deeper. Igor sounds like a demon. His eyes are going crazy.

This time around, Igor sounds more menacing and intimidating and less flat-out creepy than before.

Nimby

Banned
Hard Mode does not mess around. o_o;

Absolutely not. I've been one hit a bunch of times already. It does feel like it is one of the harder games in recent memory, but IV was so easy and Apocalypse was a cake walk at least to how far I played into, it might have dulled my senses.

Also this might be one of the hardest Shin Megami Tensei games since Strange Journey. Hard Mode does not mess around. o_o;

No it definitely doesn't mess around. Can't believe I died fighting the
Guard Captain (aka Eligor)
the second time you go to into a dungeon. These shadows hit hard for a Persona game; way more of a challenge than Persona 3 was at this stage.

Is it just me, or do conversation choices sometimes not really matter? Like in Persona 3, whatever you chose changed what the other character would say, and it would make sense. But here, it often doesn't seem to follow, as if it's the same conversation no matter what you choose.

Sophia

Is it just me, or do conversation choices sometimes not really matter? Like in Persona 3, whatever you chose changed what the other character would say, and it would make sense. But here, it often doesn't seem to follow, as if it's the same conversation no matter what you choose.

It does change the conversation. I've reloaded a number of times (usually due to class quizzes) and picked different options. You get different dialogue.

It does change the conversation. I've reloaded a number of times (usually due to class quizzes) and picked different options. You get different dialogue.

Hm ok, well maybe it was just a particular option that didn't follow well.

On another note (ha ha), this music is so damn good. Also, the visuals look way better than some of the early preview footage. Maybe they were showing PS3 footage back then? I don't know, but all the aliasing issues it used to have seem to be gone now.

Lusankya

I do feel like there's a few lines that are odd, but for the most part I'm not caring too much. The voice acting is fantastic across the board.

Yeah, I actually switched back to normal and there are still enemies 8 levels higher than me who reduce my whole party's HP by 80-90% with one attack. They don't even have a weakness I could exploit...

I guess once I get more skills (especially "Ma-" skills) and broken Personas I will switch back.

jzbluz

I went Normal with the intention of changing it to hard if it gets too easy since I don't want to grind from the beginning.

I'm not that far ahead, but the voice acting sounds fine. The awkward phrasing in some cases bother me a bit more, and I'm not as into honorifics in an English translation as I used to be, but it doesn't impact my enjoyment too much.

DodgeDusk

base didn't fail me--I got the game yesterday. Didn't say anything since I was too busy playing it! Movement is a bit janky, but I have gotten used to it. Ryuji's voice is brilliant, in my opinion. Hard Mode is definitely brutal, and I can't wait for the inevitable deaths that occur due to unpreventable enemy advantage or some other nonsense.

MSMrRound

Btw. does anybody know how to use the Thieves Guild in a dungeon? It says it can help me, but how?

One example can be when (in battle),
you are unable to kill an enemy due to whole party being too weak/active status effects etc and the enemy try to run away (which will also raise the alert status), you can use a assist from the Thieves Guild which appears as a cut in with their PSN username/MC name and knock the enemy down/stop them from running away. If I'm not wrong it's usually limited to 3 usage per day spent in the dungeon

asagami_

Banned

Sounds fantastic. Unless it's a genre or game series I don't know very well (or it's Trails in the Sky SC lol), I'm starting to like to play in hard mode. It was fun in SMT IV Apocalypse, and it's fun in Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates.

btw, I check again in Amazon and it say my PS3 copy it's in my city. Will I be playing Persona 5 at the end of the day? I'm exciting!

Lunar15

Largely a personal thing, but I actually kinda miss the disembodied third person narrator? Doing it through the MC's thoughts makes sense, but at the same time there was a charm to that narrator I can't place.

Largely a personal thing, but I actually kinda miss the disembodied third person narrator? Doing it through the MC's thoughts makes sense, but at the same time there was a charm to that narrator I can't place.

I understand. Though arguably P5 has ruined that retroactively by making me wonder "Who IS telling me to leave Yosuke be?"

Dantis

I really dislike the first person thoughts too.

It seems super weird to have a silent protagonist but then give him an internal monologue.

It's not a big deal, but I liked it better before.

One example can be when (in battle),
you are unable to kill an enemy due to whole party being too weak/active status effects etc and the enemy try to run away (which will also raise the alert status), you can use a assist from the Thieves Guild which appears as a cut in with their PSN username/MC name and knock the enemy down/stop them from running away. If I'm not wrong it's usually limited to 3 usage per day spent in the dungeon

I've also had
the enemy take a downed party member hostage and can either negotiate them free or use the thieves guild to free them.

Mediking

It seems super weird to have a silent protagonist but then give him an internal monologue.

The 1st person thoughts help you feel like you ARE Joker, though. They help with immersion... in my opinion. It was jarring when it first happened but I smiled as I adjusted.

And Joker isn't even silent. I remember Diehard saying that Joker was much more talkative and expressive than Minato and Yu ever were and its true.

I remember somebody else joking here that I would think Joker is cooler than Minato almost instantly and thats TRUE. Joker has managed to dethrone Minato (and Yu) almost instantly within P5's opening hours.

So impressed with P5 so far.

I actually prefer them personally. The weird 3rd person narrator was always kinda odd, but obviously didn't bother me. I also love how emotive and talkative the protag is compared to past Protagonists, even more so than P2 almost.

Sophia

I never cared much for the first person narrative. Then again, I never tried to make the characters represent me to being with. They've got too much established personality for that.

hughesta

Banned
Hard mode was just right for me up until the first main boss. Got so close to taking it out on several attempts but just couldn't do it. Switched to Normal and just beasted the fight. Now that I'm entering the second dungeon I'm gonna head back to Hard and see how it goes. Normal just feels too easy so far.

I'm assuming that hard will follow the usual Atlus difficulty curve where the early game is the hardest part.

I found the second dungeon easier than the first with regular encounters, but the bosses were still pretty challenging.

Sophia

Hard mode was just right for me up until the first main boss. Got so close to taking it out on several attempts but just couldn't do it. Switched to Normal and just beasted the fight. Now that I'm entering the second dungeon I'm gonna head back to Hard and see how it goes. Normal just feels too easy so far.

I'm assuming that hard will follow the usual Atlus difficulty curve where the early game is the hardest part.

I found the second dungeon easier than the first with regular encounters, but the bosses were still pretty challenging.

FIRST BOSS GAMEPLAY SPOILERS:
I had to keep the main boss under an attack down debuff the entire time to win. Otherwise his attacks could potentially one hit KO. Using a Persona who resisted physical attacks and nullified gun attacks helped too.

convo

With Hashino moving on to the fantasy game do you guys think the team making SMT5 will work on the next Persona game or will a different team be formed for that?

Mediking

Fanart threads doesn't have dibs on it, unlike OTs. Chances are Trojita didn't know you were working on one and decided to make a thread in its place.

Instead of dwelling on that fact, why not try contacting Trojita and see if the two of you can pool resources together to revamp and make it a better fanart thread? Just a suggestion.

Late to respond... thanks for this.
Is this tweet saying Persona 5 has now sold 1,500,000 copies worldwide?

Edit: Technically shipped. That's awesome news.

Didn't I say P5 would sell over a million? :D
With Hashino moving on to the fantasy game do you guys think the team making SMT5 will work on the next Persona game or will a different team be formed for that?

I want the team who handled P5 to hear the criticism and praise of P5 on a global scale, learn from it and shoot for P6 when they feel inspired to.

P Studio still exists, so presumably they will still be responsible for future Persona games, just without Hashino.

Sophia

P Studio is almost certainly working on spinoffs, side projects, or re-releases right now. But they'll be fine without Hashino.

Dantis

I feel like my concern would be whether P-Studio are capable of creating something of real value without Hashino, Soejima and Meguro.

Everything they've made previously has been building off the success of the main games.

Wada is pretty much the only key staff member not make the move over, also (and Kitajoh, I guess. But he's never really been a part of the team proper).

Sophia

I feel like my concern would be whether P-Studio are capable of creating something of real value without Hashino, Soejima and Meguro.

Everything they've made previously has been building off the success of the main games.

Wada is pretty much the only key staff member not make the move over, also (and Kitajoh, I guess. But he's never really been a part of the team proper).

Given that almost everyone at P-Studio existed at Atlus before for the formation of that particular development team, there isn't much to worry about. They'll be fine, producing the usual Atlus output, while Hashino's team makes the next Persona 5-quality game.

Given that almost everyone at P-Studio existed at Atlus before for the formation of that particular development team, there isn't much to worry about. They'll be fine, producing the usual Atlus output, while Hashino's team makes the next Persona 5-quality game.

As long as they don't have it bogged down by too many writers, we'll hopefully not have another Ultimax on our hands.

Sophia

Second boss in Persona 5 on hard mode makes almost every boss in Persona 4 look like a joke.

Four attacks per turn and he can heal and revive... jesus christ.

Lunar15

I really like Ann's VA. VA and script for the main cast has been damn near perfect so far. Morgana has some clunkers... but part of that is intentional I think? In the japanese version she talked somewhat medieval-y. I think they could have played that up more in the translation, but it's not bothering me.

Kamoshida, on the other hand, has some wildly nonsensical translations.

I bet there were people who thought much the same when the old guard moved aside to make way for Hashino, Soejima, and Meguro. I mean, Soejima was basically doing his own imitations of Kaneko art up until P3 where he could really shine. It could be the same with newer directors.

Given the really dark content of P5, it would've been fitting had Kaneko had come back to do the designs and give it that trademark Kaneko creepy vibe.

I really like Ann's VA. VA and script for the main cast has been damn near perfect so far. Morgana has some clunkers... but part of that is intentional I think? In the japanese version she talked somewhat medieval-y. I think they could have played that up more in the translation, but it's not bothering me.

Kamoshida, on the other hand, has some wildly nonsensical translations.

Just about every line out of Kamoshida's mouth sounds off to me.

Thankfully, there hasn't been much of a problem with the main cast and the VA for the party is terrific, especially for Ryuji.

Given the really dark content of P5, it would've been fitting had Kaneko had come back to do the designs and give it that trademark Kaneko creepy vibe.

Nah, Kaneko isn't even returning for the 30th Anniversary of MegaTen, so he ain't coming back for Persona ever. Makes me wonder if Soejima will be as involved with Persona going forward now they're making the new IP, wonder if they hand the reigns over to Doi or somebody else (at least to do the spin offs)? Or Soejima will do it all regardless? I really like Soejima's work in this game, his best work yet (next to Catherine), I think.

Just about every line out of Kamoshida's mouth sounds off to me.

Thankfully, there hasn't been much of a problem with the main cast and the VA for the party is terrific, especially for Ryuji.

Kamoshida talks like he's supposed to be talking like he's kind of pompous and self important, but it sort of misses the mark and it's unclear if that's intentional (Kamoshida tries to sound all high and mighty and professional but is super bad at it) or if it's on the localization's part (Kamoshida tries to sound all high and mighty and professional but the writers didn't know how that would actually sound).

cheez124

Second boss in Persona 5 on hard mode makes almost every boss in Persona 4 look like a joke.

Four attacks per turn and he can heal and revive... jesus christ.
i barely scraped by him on normal, and i don't think i was underleveled or anything either. can't imagine what it's like on hard mode

Kaneko is obviously legendary, but I think I like Soejima just as much. He really nailed the character designs in P5. I've liked all of his previous work tons, but this is definitely his strongest so far.

Sophia

i barely scraped by him on normal, and i don't think i was underleveled or anything either. can't imagine what it's like on hard mode

I just beat it. Some new equipment, new Personas, a few levels, and a whole lot of Takemedic-All Vs helped. He was doing 130 to 180 points of damage on average per attack. It was nuts.

A big factor that makes Hard Mode so hard is that enemies can easily overpower you if you're not prepared to handle the damage. You're fighting a war of attrition in regards to healing, because it's difficult to simply out-heal the damage you're taking. So you have to resort to buffs, debuffs, status effects, and the rare items you get around the dungeons a lot.

It is definitely the hardest Megami Tensei game since Nocturne/Strange Journey, and on hard mode is comparable to Nocturne on normal. I love it tho. <3

Got 26 hours and 39 minutes on the clock so far!

Nah, Kaneko isn't even returning for the 30th Anniversary of MegaTen, so he ain't coming back for Persona ever. Makes me wonder if Soejima will be as involved with Persona going forward now they're making the new IP, wonder if they hand the reigns over to Doi or somebody else (at least to do the spin offs)? Or Soejima will do it all regardless? I really like Soejima's work in this game, his best work yet (next to Catherine), I think.

Kaneko is obviously legendary, but I think I like Soejima just as much. He really nailed the character designs in P5. I've liked all of his previous work tons, but this is definitely his strongest so far.

Yeah I like Soejima's art...very different style than Kaneko, but it's technically superb and solid work, if sometimes a bit generic. I like the designs so far in P5 as well, but I think the really dark material in this game could've benefited from Kaneko's art. Regardless, yeah, I know he's trapped in the flower fields forever. Sadly.

Kamoshida talks like he's supposed to be talking like he's kind of pompous and self important, but it sort of misses the mark and it's unclear if that's intentional (Kamoshida tries to sound all high and mighty and professional but is super bad at it) or if it's on the localization's part (Kamoshida tries to sound all high and mighty and professional but the writers didn't know how that would actually sound).

Kamoshida is one of the few English VA's I think is pretty good. He totally sounds like a pompous jock douchebag, and that's what the character is. Where it kind of goes wrong is when things turn darker with the character.

I'm only a few hours in, but my favorite voice right now is actually the doctor whom I just met last night. She plays it so subtle, which is refreshing from all the over-the-top stuff in the main cast.

Top Bottom