• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Status effects in general vs regular enemies is pretty high. They work on mid-bosses and powerful enemies too, which can be useful.

I've never played a SMT or Persona game where status effects even have a chance of working on bosses of any type, so it was surprising. I'd be curious to know what led them to that decision in P5. It made the mid-boss fight with the 1st Palace's tower
penis demon
really easy.

Sophia

I've never played a SMT or Persona game where status effects even have a chance of working on bosses of any type, so it was surprising. I'd be curious to know what led them to that decision in P5. It made the mid-boss fight with the 1st Palace's tower
penis demon
really easy.

They've always had some degree of usefulness depending on the game, but Atlus lately has been pushing to avoid the Useless Useful Spell trope as much as possible. I first noticed it in Persona 4 Golden and Shin Megami Tensei 4, where said abilities because much more powerful and reliable.

They've always had some degree of usefulness depending on the game, but Atlus lately has been pushing to avoid the Useless Useful Spell trope as much as possible. I first noticed it in Persona 4 Golden and Shin Megami Tensei 4, where said abilities because much more powerful and reliable.

Ah I see. I haven't played SMT4 or P4, so perhaps that's part of the reason I'm shocked at some of these changes. The most recent SMT-ish title I played was P3 FES, so I haven't seen any of these incremental changes happen.

Sophia

Ah I see. I haven't played SMT4 or P4, so perhaps that's part of the reason I'm shocked at some of these changes. The most recent SMT-ish title I played was P3 FES, so I haven't seen any of these incremental changes happen.

Persona 3 and (vanilla) Persona 4 have a lot of minor balancing issues, for sure. They made significant strides in making buffs more useful in Persona 4 Golden by letting the effects be extended while the buff is already up. As far as SMT IV goes, one of the most powerful early game abilities was Blight, because it did massive damage + poisoned targets. Persona Q also made status effects and buff/debuffs pretty powerful.

It's very nice. Looking at Atlus's games from FES to Persona 5, you can see the casual progression that made Persona 5's balance so fantastic.

I jumped into P4G on my Vita for an hour just to compare, but Persona 5 is such a incredible improvement over everything in Persona 4 in terms of gameplay mechanics.

The biggest difference between the two, for me, is the battle system. The contrast in pure speed is just amazing. Everything is so much faster in P5. I was a bit upset that the act of summoning Personas was blocked by the attack menu and that the animation of ripping off the mask, which was so creative, was wasted. But the trade off is worth it, as the battles feel much smoother and quicker when Personas just use their ability instead of making the player sit through an animation of crushing a card and then using the ability.

Not only that, but the expanded roster of elements feels very welcome as it makes more types of Persona useful, and allows team members and trading off those team members to be more valuable in my opinion. I honestly cannot see another Persona game without them. (Or if they change it up, but keep the same number of elements and attack types, perhaps expanding on physical attacks like in P3) Buffs, Debuffs, and Status Effects seem way more valuable in this game too. I can't confirm this but it feels like, for example, Marin Karin lands hits more than usual.

The interface is also just so quick and beautiful. To the point where I memorized where each ability was and it made me feel like my inputs more valuable in that way. It feels like it doesn't waste my time. The Baton Pass and 1 More system combine to make the system incredibly fun to attack the enemies' weaknesses. It's the most refined gameplay from Persona to date and some SMT games tbh. (Thpugh stacks are missing, which I expected after SMT4/A) Gives me the feeling of playing DDS, one of my personal favorites!

Finally, the dungeons, including mementos, actually feel designed and the Confidants system is rewarding as hell.

This game is honestly a massive improvement of the series. Sure on the surface the game doesn't seem too different from the other entries in the series, but under the hood, everything is so damn tight and fast. It's fun to play! I plan on doing a NG+ with Merciless. Sorry for the massive post of things y'all probably already know but I felt I had to write it up. Now I'm worried about how P6 is going to compare to this.

Mediking

I jumped into P4G on my Vita for an hour just to compare, but Persona 5 is such a incredible improvement over everything in Persona 4 in terms of gameplay mechanics.

The biggest difference between the two, for me, is the battle system. The contrast in pure speed is just amazing. Everything is so much faster in P5. I was a bit upset that the act of summoning Personas was blocked by the attack menu and that the animation of ripping off the mask, which was so creative, was wasted. But the trade off is worth it, as the battles feel much smoother and quicker when Personas just use their ability instead of making the player sit through an animation of crushing a card and then using the ability.

Not only that, but the expanded roster of elements feels very welcome as it makes more types of Persona useful, and allows team members and trading off those team members to be more valuable in my opinion. I honestly cannot see another Persona game without them. (Or if they change it up, but keep the same number of elements and attack types, perhaps expanding on physical attacks like in P3) Buffs, Debuffs, and Status Effects seem way more valuable in this game too. I can't confirm this but it feels like, for example, Marin Karin lands hits more than usual.

The interface is also just so quick and beautiful. To the point where I memorized where each ability was and it made me feel like my inputs more valuable in that way. It feels like it doesn't waste my time. The Baton Pass and 1 More system combine to make the system incredibly fun to attack the enemies' weaknesses. It's the most refined gameplay from Persona to date and some SMT games tbh. (Thpugh stacks are missing, which I expected after SMT4/A) Gives me the feeling of playing DDS, one of my personal favorites!

Finally, the dungeons, including mementos, actually feel designed and the Confidants system is rewarding as hell.

This game is honestly a massive improvement of the series. Sure on the surface the game doesn't seem too different from the other entries in the series, but under the hood, everything is so damn tight and fast. It's fun to play! I plan on doing a NG+ with Merciless. Sorry for the massive post of things y'all probably already know but I felt I had to write it up. Now I'm worried about how P6 is going to compare to this.

The presentation in P5 is amazing. Simply. Amazing.

And P6 can surpass P5 but we'll save that for a future conversation... lol

Lusankya

I don't really expect a Persona 6 for quite a long while, at least not from the Persona "A-Team".

I also wonder if a possible P6 shouldn't try to change quite a bit to the formula. They shouldn't get rid of the social sim aspects imho, but still try to overhaul the whole system somewhat. Oh and of course please keep the round based combat.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really expect a Persona 6 for quite a long while, at least not from the Persona "A-Team".

I also wonder if a possible P6 shouldn't try to change quite a bit to the formula. They shouldn't get rid of the social sim aspects imho, but still try to overhaul the whole system somewhat. Oh and of course please keep the round based combat.

I don't know about changing in the sense of something like a Persona 2 to 3 overhaul.
I kind of understand the people that liked the old style of Persona games being grumpy that Persona pretty much has become something different to that and there being little else they can turn to.

I'm more of an advocate of if you're changing the DNA of a series that much you might as well just make it an entire new series/ip. I'm very much a fan of letting IPs have somewhat of a consistent identity ala Dragon Quest.

That said I do think there is still a lot of space to evolve and improve for Persona and its systems in and most of the time I do feel like a lot of Persona just generally could benefit from a higher production budget(not that it needs it just that I see a lot of places where it seems like ok if we had more money we could buy "better" here).

Stuff like full voice acting for example but more system related the whole Confidant/Slink conversation system could be improved just by having more content behind it to flesh it more out and allow it to be more dynamic and giving different answers more significance.
Or generally there are a dozen other different ways to spice that part up without throwing out the general structure. Same goes for the calendar system.

That said I do kind of also see maybe after 3 games if someone within Atlus has a strong new vision for it give it over like it happened with Hashino and 3.
Maybe people just have to live with it and Persona becomes a series with a consistent rythm of big change.
Just not a fan of it in principle but of course it can lead to better and bigger things.

OrionX

I know it's a totally unrealistic wish and will probably trigger some eye rolls, but I'd give anything for P3 and P4 remakes with P5-style character models. P4 Dancing was such a tease with those shiny new models. Obviously I wouldn't want anything to slow down P6 though, so I'll just take my filthy desires and bury them out back.

Meanwhile I'm in love with P5 as expected. Altus had already taken my heart, but it's like they politely returned it and then mercilessly stole it again.

I know it's a totally unrealistic wish and will probably trigger some eye rolls, but I'd give anything for P3 and P4 remakes with P5-style character models. P4 Dancing was such a tease with those shiny new models. Obviously I wouldn't want anything to slow down P6 though, so I'll just take my filthy desires and bury them out back.

Meanwhile I'm in love with P5 as expected. Altus had already taken my heart, but it's like they politely returned it and then mercilessly stole it again.

imo, P3 needs a proper remake. P4's would just be superfluous.

asagami_

Banned
At this point, I feel Persona has reached almost to perfect its basic structure, which is Time management + Social Interaction + Dungeon exploration + Fast-paced battles. I know there are games like Conception, but there is not a RPG (title or series) which have these four elements blending so well together.

Even if I prefer Persona this way, I think it need to try certain things, for example, instead a full year would be interesting to see a story which lapse a month or a week, or to change the location, which basically would be to change the roles of the characters.

So definitively, I want a Eternal Punishment-esque game with the modern Persona formula. And let me talk with demons shadows any time I want, please.

Mediking

The manga style cutouts is super awesome in P5. Prolly one of my favorite things.

I remember seeing them in P3 and thinking they were hype....

But man... they look so good in P5.

I hope they NEVER go away.

I mean P1, P2:IS, P2:EP, and P3 were up for remakes on that ATLUS survey a few months back. I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Sophia

Right now, I'd be most interested in seeing an updated re-release of Persona 5, ideally via DLC expansion pack. The game is near perfect, and there's only a few things that really need adjusting.

Beyond that, I wouldn't mind seeing a fully fledged remake of Persona 3 before Hashino's new RPG comes out.

While I love P3 and I played it twice, both vanilla + FES, (as well as the horrible grindfest and character assassinator called The Answer) and it's pretty much one of my favorite JRPGs, I don't know that I want to play it again at this point or have Atlus spend their limited development resources on a full remake.

I DO think that Persona 2 deserves a remake and western fans deserve to have both parts available on a single system. My biggest fear is that they would redo all the Kaneko art though.

Sophia

While I love P3 and I played it twice, both vanilla + FES, (as well as the horrible grindfest and character assassinator called The Answer) and it's pretty much one of my favorite JRPGs, I don't know that I want to play it again at this point or have Atlus spend their limited development resources on a full remake.

I DO think that Persona 2 deserves a remake and western fans deserve to have both parts available on a single system. My biggest fear is that they would redo all the Kaneko art though.

They've already done this twice. The in game art in both the original and in the remakes is not Kaneko's art. :p

DNAbro

At this point, I feel Persona has reached almost to perfect its basic structure, which is Time management + Social Interaction + Dungeon exploration + Fast-paced battles. I know there are games like Conception, but there is not a RPG (title or series) which have these four elements blending so well together.

Even if I prefer Persona this way, I think it need to try certain things, for example, instead a full year would be interesting to see a story which lapse a month or a week, or to change the location, which basically would be to change the roles of the characters.

So definitively, I want a Eternal Punishment-esque game with the modern Persona formula. And let me talk with demons shadows any time I want, please.

The current only thing I want the series to do is acknowledge confidant/SL stuff outside of the confidants. This "secret girlfriend" stuff is kind of dumb. They did improve it a bit in this one in naturally introducing some of the confidants and interacting with them a bit more inside the story but I still think there is a lot more that could be done.

Setsu00

They've already done this twice. The in game art in both the original and in the remakes is not Kaneko's art. :p

Even the large majority of the NPCs weren't drawn by Kaneko. It's an absolute shame though that they never released Soejima's concept art for most of them.

Honestly, Soejima and Doi did a really fantastic job recreating the characters in their own art styles. It looks fantastic.

Lynx_7

Put me in the "I'd rather have a P2 remake" camp. It'd benefit immensely from a gameplay standpoint alone. The presentation boost is just the cherry on top.

P3 and 4 are fine, imo. P3 could use an HD remaster with the best aspects from FES and P3P in a single, definitive package but that's about it.

I agree with P2. I'd also love to see P1 to get them to flesh it out and redeem it a bit. I think both games could go a long way with more voice acting as well. Would be awesome.

dickroach

so I'm playing P4 Gold, just started the strip joint dungeon.
I'm wonder, should I be using Kanji? does it matter if I don't?

Lusankya

so I'm playing P4 Gold, just started the strip joint dungeon.
I'm wonder, should I be using Kanji? does it matter if I don't?

Personally I took Chie out for him. He gets all Zio- spells while she stopps getting more Bufu- spells and they're the same when it comes to physical damage imho.

In general you can just use whoever you like.

"Be sure to get all the treasure chests before you send out a calling card!" I literally wouldn't have enough time to make the lockpicks, but thanks Morgana.

For all the tutorials this game has, it's a bit unclear as to what the actual deadline is -- there's two dates on the calendar, a "Treasure Room" deadline, and the meeting deadline. Do I need to steal the treasure by the first date?

Lusankya

You can get the (locked) treasure chests after you have sent the calling card, Morgana even let's you use your desk the evening before going back to the palace.

Otherwise will it take (at least) three days to finish a palace:
- First (or more) day(s) to secure the road to the treasure.*
- Second day to send out the calling card.
- Third day to get back to get the treasure.

*The first two dungeons will take more days due to story reasons.

You can get the (locked) treasure chests after you have sent the calling card, Morgana even let's you use your desk the evening before going back to the palace.

Thanks, yeah, I went ahead and sent the card as I didn't want to risk missing the deadline. Treasure I found wasn't worth it. :/ But I did finish the Palace! I was dreading the boss fight, but he was...easy?

Koriandrr

Finished the game. 126 hours in one week, what is even life.

I'm a hardcore megaten/persona fan and I gotta say, this was the best Persona to date. It took all that's good from the previous games and perfected it. And holy shit that UI. I just can't get over how fucking amazing it is.

Now, to spoilers:

I love how they gave Igor this weird new voice that I utterly HATED in the beginning and kept crying this isn't Ignor anymore, plot twist - IT ISN'T. Best plot twist ever.

On a side note, going through the end of Mementos was emotionally exhausting. As someone who's been through shit at work because of other, more senior people stepping on me and being fucked in the same way these guys have, it was really hard for me to get through this point without going to depressiontown. This game touches on such real subjects it's killing me. It's all just too real. More real than previous persona games, for sure. At least for me.

I fucked up my social links really bad. I went in without a guide, I always go in blind on the first run (which is why it took me 126 hours in the first place) but I decided to do what I did in P3 and 4 - get stats first, then social links. NUH UH. Doesn't work this way here, as social links give you stats and I totally didn't take that into consideration, so I ended up with maxed out stats, receiving bonuses that I no longer needed and couldn't get even half of my social links to max. I felt so bad about that. Replaying with a guide next time :(

EDIT: I also totally failed to see the Akechi plot twist. The whole time I thought he was my friend. I FELT SO BETRAYED, yet it was so obvious. I thought he heard Morgana, because he's special, never questioned if he's bad... :(

Spoiler-free waifu opinion: Haru best waifu. I honestly don't get the fascination with Futaba, she's just a child and feels more like a child than anyone else. I might be too old for this shit, but I don't feel okay romancing her.

Thanks, yeah, I went ahead and sent the card as I didn't want to risk missing the deadline. Treasure I found wasn't worth it. :/ But I did finish the Palace! I was dreading the boss fight, but he was...easy?

So far I've found the treasures in Mementos to be far better than the treasure in Palaces.

You mean in that
they're useful items rather than extremely delayed cash which time-wasting story beats take a chunk out of anyway?

More just that I've managed to get pretty powerful gear that is better than I can buy in Mementos while treasure in Palaces seems to be focused more on support items.

Lynx_7

Spoiler-free waifu opinion: Haru best waifu. I honestly don't get the fascination with Futaba, she's just a child and feels more like a child than anyone else. I might be too old for this shit, but I don't feel okay romancing her.

I haven't noticed too much Futaba waifuism post-release. Seems like Makoto is the new Chie.

I haven't noticed too much Futaba waifuism post-release. Seems like Makoto is the new Chie.

I'm not looking forward to when the honeymoon ends...

We've shot guns at our heads...

We've activated cards....

We've ripped off masks....

What's next?

Bursting into flame, like some of us guessed with that early trailer.

Isn't that partially because Atlus confirmed Makoto is canon?

I'm gonna need a source for that, since I haven't heard anyone from Atlus straight-up confirm "canon" since P2.

Koriandrr

Isn't that partially because Atlus confirmed Makoto is canon?
I see Futaba everywhere, still. To be honest, I like all of the girls, they're great, but none of them made me go like WAIFU the moment I saw them. Futaba's like the quirky little sister, Ann's a plain old loyal best friend, Makoto's that perfect student gal who just realised there's a world outside of school a.k.a. she wishes she was as cool as Mitsuru and Haru is daddy's girl gone wild.

I've seen a lot of shout outs for the Doc too, I think she's most popular non-teammate choice. I wish
she kept her cool later on though, instead of losing it and going soft.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't get the fascination with Futaba, she's just a child and feels more like a child than anyone else. I might be too old for this shit, but I don't feel okay romancing her.

That's pretty much how I feel. Futaba's one of my favorite characters, but I could never bring myself to romance her. It'd be like romancing Nanako and I don't even want to think about that.

Once you get to know Futaba, it kind of feels weird.

That's pretty much how I feel. Futaba's one of my favorite characters, but I could never bring myself to romance her. It'd be like romancing Nanako and I don't even want to think about that.

Yeah, the fact that
you get to call her family, and she doesn't disagree with it
in the first rank of her Co-Op doesn't really help matters.

I'm really, really loving the music in Persona 5. Well, I still think P3's battle theme is better, but overall P5 is just fantastic.

However, Ye Olde Demon Fusion Theme kind of triggers me. Too many bad memories of sitting there for half an hour rerolling fusions to get the skills I wanted. I wish they had gone for something new and less somber that's more in P5's style.

Top Bottom