• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

I've always felt it was less about her "meme" dialogue (it really isn't as prevalent as it is always made out to be) and more that out of everyone in the PT, she had the most sass and cheekiness in the group.
She has a strong resonance with how well developed her story and progression is. Shes also the character that progresses the best in the main story beyond her initial arc. The scene
With Sojiro after he finds the calling card is in my opinion the strongest scene in the entire game.

Shes also the character with the most developed motive in the entire group and stands out as the one character to truly have their own reason for being there and helping.

Mediking

She has a strong resonance with how well developed her story and progression is. Shes also the character that progresses the best in the main story beyond her initial arc. The scene
With Sojiro after he finds the calling card is in my opinion the strongest scene in the entire game.

Shes also the character with the most developed motive in the entire group and stands out as the one character to truly have their own reason for being there and helping.

Speaking of motive...

Early Ann is best Ann. She wanted to stop monsters like Kamoshida.

Early Ryuji also had good intentioms but it kinda got lost in wanting to be recognized by others.

And Joker had enough of being pushed around for doing something he thought was a good thing.

Speaking of motive...

Early Ann is best Ann. She wanted to stop monsters like Kamoshida.

Early Ryuji also had good intentioms but it kinda got lost in wanting to be recognized by others.

And Joker had enough of being pushed around for doing something he thought was a good thing.
everyone had motive, Futaba just had the most individualistic and most defined motive. Everyone else is a more vague "im sick of this shit" in general. I like how
One of the first things Futaba does after joining is admitting that her motivation is purely selfish.
She doesnt really care about fighting back at society, she just wants to learn what really happened to her mom and to get some form of revenge.

Mediking

Apparently, according to that SEGA RAW stream that was happening yesterday, Persona 5 shipped over 1.8 million copies worldwide.

That's an insane number for a series that often didn't even break 500,000 before. Woah.

Make a thread, Sophia!!!! :D

everyone had motive, Futaba just had the most individualistic and most defined motive. Everyone else is a more vague "im sick of this shit" in general. I like how
One of the first things Futaba does after joining is admitting that her motivation is purely selfish.
She doesnt really care about fighting back at society, she just wants to learn what really happened to her mom and to get some form of revenge.

Back to Futaba... SPOILERZ!
The whole thing with her Mom would have been much more impactful if we actually met her.
Like when the corrupted principal died... my heart was racing.

1upsuper

I feel the same. She has her moments (the "kek" scene with Mishima is great) and a great backstory. But when she says stuff like "be my key item" I can't help but cringe into the next life. It actually makes me want to die.
Yep. I agree that the scene with Mishima was pretty good though.

Back to Futaba... SPOILERZ!
The whole thing with her Mom would have been much more impactful if we actually met her.
Like when the corrupted principal died... my heart was racing.
maybe, but I don't think it would have made a bigger impact on me.
The pain we were really supposed to feel was that of Futaba's. If we knew her mother as a character better than our emotional investment would've been split between Futaba and the mother herself.
I didn't really need anything else to make me feel for Futaba here, as I lost my dad when I was only 21, and he was only 44. Knowing that sting while also sharing similarities like being an outcast at school for learning too easily, as well as being painfully nerdy made Futaba the character that I empathize with more than any other possibly ever.

Mediking

maybe, but I don't think it would have made a bigger impact on me.
The pain we were really supposed to feel was that of Futaba's. If we knew her mother as a character better than our emotional investment would've been split between Futaba and the mother herself.
I didn't really need anything else to make me feel for Futaba here, as I lost my dad when I was only 21, and he was only 44. Knowing that sting while also sharing similarities like being an outcast at school for learning too easily, as well as being painfully nerdy made Futaba the character that I empathize with more than any other possibly ever.

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I can appreciate you relating to Futaba.

A Persona character I can actually really relate to as well is Junpei. If any of guys ever wondered how I am in real life... look no further than Junpei. I should have a Junpei avatar... but there's hardly any art of him looking cool.

Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I can appreciate you relating to Futaba.

A Persona character I can actually really relate to as well is Junpei. If any of guys ever wondered how I am in real life... look no further than Junpei. I should have a Junpei avatar... but there's hardly any art of him looking cool.
I have an IRL friend that cosplays ultimax Junpei all the time for events. He'd appreciate some more good Junpei art as well. I'll try and keep this in mind if I ever spot any.

Lynx_7

While 1.8m is a fantastic number for anything Atlus has ever done, let alone Persona, I wonder how much higher these numbers could've been if:

-The game was properly localized for Europe
-No stupid streaming and screenshots restrictions
-A pc port was releasef

I think P5 could've crossed the 2M barrier already had Atlus played their cards right.

While 1.8m is a fantastic number for anything Atlus has ever done, let alone Persona, I wonder how much higher these numbers could've been if:

-A pc port was releasef

I think P5 could've crossed the 2M barrier already had Atlus played their cards right.

I agree. Does that number include digital though? If not it's definitely past 2 million already.

Sure, I get what you're saying, I was just adding on about why people tend to favor her lines and personality.

That said I don't agree she's the only character with sufficient reason for being a PT, even if she does have the most purely defined motive.

Sophia

I don't usually make threads. I'm sure someone else has gotten around to it.

-A pc port was releasef

I think a bigger issue was simply the gap between the Japanese and NA/EU release dates. Seven months was a pretty long gap, and momentum kind of slowed as a result. Especially after they delayed it again from February to April.

While the game itself still did fantastic, as evident by the fact that the majority of those 1.8 million shipped sales seemingly come from the west, people expect quicker localization nowadays. I definitely hope Atlus can get quicker on the localization job for the future.

People like to make assumptions and then end up disappointed.
The stream is probably just for the concert.

I'm warming up to the idea of giving P1 another shot. Gonna grab the PSP version to play on the vita when it's on sale. I probably wasn't in the right mindset when I played it, the remake's QoL improvements should also help.
As a hardcore SMT fan it's weird that this is the only game for which I felt complete indifference. Some of my very favorites are old school games like Soul Hackers and P2.

I'm still not over the fact that we didn't get the remake of EP. Fucking hell.

Haven't checked this thread in a long time but I'm glad I finally remembered to as I'd totally forgotten that the concert was next week, I was thinking it was late August for some reason.

I'm ready for the mountain of spin-offs.

So I finished the Palace 7 boss fight last night. That might be the longest boss fight I've had in a RPG? I had some close calls with the special attacks, but it was a cakewalk compared to the incredibly difficult
Madarame
fight.

p.s. I seem to be more and more underleveled as time goes on. According to the network the average level before I fought was 69, but I went in with everyone at 61. I don't know if this is because I'm playing on Hard? I don't exactly shy away from a fight in the palaces, but I don't grind, either.

Lmao
yeah that Yakuza guy reminded me of those Yakuza guys from SMTIV

Oh, I haven't played SMTIV, I meant the actual Yakuza series. The ripping off of the shirt was total Yakuza boss fight. Might've been a nod since they're owned by Sega now.

So I finished the Palace 7 boss fight last night. That might be the longest boss fight I've had in a RPG? I had some close calls with the special attacks, but it was a cakewalk compared to the incredibly difficult
Madarame
fight.

p.s. I seem to be more and more underleveled as time goes on. According to the network the average level before I fought was 69, but I went in with everyone at 61. I don't know if this is because I'm playing on Hard? I don't exactly shy away from a fight in the palaces, but I don't grind, either.

Oh, I haven't played SMTIV, I meant the actual Yakuza series. The ripping off of the shirt was total Yakuza boss fight. Might've been a nod since they're owned by Sega now.

There's a grinding trick in Mementos that some people exploit which drives up the average.

Lynx_7

I'm warming up to the idea of giving P1 another shot. Gonna grab the PSP version to play on the vita when it's on sale. I probably wasn't in the right mindset when I played it, the remake's QoL improvements should also help.
As a hardcore SMT fan it's weird that this is the only game for which I felt complete indifference. Some of my very favorites are old school games like Soul Hackers and P2.

Give it a try. I also wasn't in the right mindset when I tried it at first ("just wanna get this out of the way so I can play P2 after") and ended up having a bad time.
Now I'm taking my time (talking to NPCs, exploring) and playing the game on its own therms and I'm having a much better experience. It also helps that the PSP version is a lot faster and the world map is much better to navigate. The sound of your footsteps when you're running is also hilarious.

There's a translation of EP PSP going on right now, so eventually we should be able to play it.

DNAbro

People like to make assumptions and then end up disappointed.
The stream is probably just for the concert.

Nah it's probably for an announcement.

They do typically tease announcements, and there's nothing of the sort in either live stream description.

But otoh, Atlus started doing something with the PQ2.jp domain today, there's still a number of things hinting at a P5D, and there will be a free live stream relating to the concert too.

I'm curious, if PQ2 is a thing, what system will it be on?

I'm curious, if PQ2 is a thing, what system will it be on?

3DS. A Switch EO is going to require a number of changes to get it to work on that platform and I'd be surprised if they'd want to do that work on anything other than a mainline entry. Plus Atlus is no stranger to announcing 3DS titles in 2017.

DNAbro

It kind of bothers me that Atlus is pretty much the only reason to hang on to my 3DS. Well unless those Ace Attorney spin-off games ever come here.

Lynx_7

I know it's unrealistic to expect PQ2 to come out at any system but the 3DS, but I still hope it does. I love my 3DS but at this point I just want to see Atlus move on to bigger and better things.
It'd also be interesting to see how they handle EO-like gameplay in a single screen.

So Persona 5 Palace 7:

That mouse section took way too long to get through. Interesting idea, but they could have had shorter hallways and less that seemingly went no where at all.

Also, is it worth the costs to create the ultimate weapons in this game? I know some have some major +stat stuff, but does that really matter late game?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So Persona 5 Palace 7:

That mouse section took way too long to get through. Interesting idea, but they could have had shorter hallways and less that seemingly went no where at all.

Also, is it worth the costs to create the ultimate weapons in this game? I know some have some major +stat stuff, but does that really matter late game?

The rat mazes were padding on top of padding for that palace which honestly really hurt the flow of the whole thing for me, there was a certain immediacy to it all that just vanished because the palace too so long. I would have much rather preferred less puzzles and more of a boss rush style dungeon with complex fights.

As for the best weapons? Nah not at all your persona's stats matter more than any piece of equipment you could have on so unless you can spare the resources I wouldn't bother.

Nah it's probably for an announcement.

The first stream is literally for the concert. That's the main event. And don't get your hopes up for Stalker Club:

Listeners’ Corner

A segment where the hosts will be reading messages sent by program viewers.

Persona Super Live Report

An introduction of the live venue and the merchandise.

The Attic Meeting of Cafe Leblanc Report

An introduction of the event held on July 30th, with a special video.

Persona 5: One Night of Spoiler Discussion

With it almost having been a year since the release of Persona 5, secret information—which hasn’t been disclosed before—that will be available in the Persona 5 Maniax book releasing on August 4th will be revealed ahead of its release.

From http://personacentral.com/persona-s...ited-persona-stalker-club-v-revival-august-2/

now persona-dance.jp is doing it.

Persona Dance rather than P3D or P5D, so could be less game specific. Hopefully will have a more expanded track list than P4D did.

PQ2 makes sense considering that EOV released over a year ago and I don't think the EO team has had anything announced since then, although Strange Journey Redux is sort of Etrian like, and Persona Dancing was expected anyway. Doubt we'll be getting another Arena game, but wonder if we'll see anything from P5R or P5AG too. Seems like Atlus has a lot in development at this point, but they could have some collaborative titles too.

The PQ2 website is now returning a 403 Forbidden page, which means Altus is directly preventing access to the page. Guess something could really be up!

On that note, will someone be making a live news thread for sound bomb?

I have a general question about the series. I am loving the hell out of P5 and have never played any besides the first one. How do people rank the games? I bought Persona 3 FES and 4, they are sitting their like treats on my hard drive after I finish 5.

DNAbro

I have a general question about the series. I am loving the hell out of P5 and have never played any besides the first one. How do people rank the games? I bought Persona 3 FES and 4, they are sitting their like treats on my hard drive after I finish 5.

Personally

Gameplay
5>>>>>>>> 4 >>> 3.

Story
4 > 5 > 3

Characters
4>>> 5>>3

The Golden/Vita version of 4 is preferred though.

Despite it's many problems Dancing all Night is easily my favourite of the P4 spin-offs so I'm more than ready for another, especially if it ends up pulling songs from more than just one game.
3 and 4 are very well liked, they follow the same formula as 5 so if you're liking 5 then it's a safe bet that you'd enjoy those as well. Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are basically the two halves that form P2 and the gameplay of those tends to make them more divisive, they play more like P1 which means they're very different from what a fan of the modern games would expect. That being said, P2 is still very much worth giving a shot if you can deal with the gameplay because it does a great job with it's story and characters.

_Ryo_

Persona 3/P3P / Persona 5/ Persona 4.

I'm curious about various aspects of a P5 DAN. (spoilerz, don't click here if you didn't finish P5)
It would have to take place during the game, before the end of palace 6 to include Akechi. When was there time for this? The metaverse is also gone at the end of the game, though that doesn't mean they can't use their Personas in other situations I guess (like P3/P4 cast?)

I'm curious about various aspects of a P5 DAN. (spoilerz, don't click here if you didn't finish P5)
It would have to take place during the game, before the end of palace 6 to include Akechi. When was there time for this? The metaverse is also gone at the end of the game, though that doesn't mean they can't use their Personas in other situations I guess (like P3/P4 cast?)

I feel like PQ2 would have more trouble with that, if it takes the same setup as PQ, even if you exclude Akechi, there's not really a good place to pull the team from after Haru joins.

They could always take the post game approach of "a new palace like place mysteriously appeared" as with P4D too. Or they could just not have a story for the Dancing game, not like it should actually need one.

I feel like PQ2 would have more trouble with that, if it takes the same setup as PQ, even if you exclude Akechi, there's not really a good place to pull the team from after Haru joins.

They could always take the post game approach of "a new palace like place mysteriously appeared" as with P4D too. Or they could just not have a story for the Dancing game, not like it should actually need one.

That's true. I would love a DAN without a terrible 10 hour story mode that destroys everyone's character, but I can't see it happening. If it were a new Palace, shadow Akechi could show up in place of the real one. I hope they don't tie it to unlocking songs in free dance. I haven't played the first PQ, so I didn't even remember that the setup would be awkward for that too.

I see the P5 cast as so removed from the other two casts for some reason that a serious crossover just baffles me.

P5 > P2:IS/P2:EP > P4 > P3 > P1.

Thought P2-P5 are all crammed into the #1 spot on my favorite games of all time list. And I actually like P1 despite it's flaws.

They're all great and worth playing. Can't recommend them enough.

Top Bottom