• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Persona Concert Review:

HOLY FUCK LYN HAS SOME FUCKING LUNGS ON HER/10

It's really impressive, and she had so much energy throughout the show! It was great watching her on stage, even if she fumbled on a couple of high notes towards the end. There was that really obvious one during Life will Change.

Mediking

OK, so P3 is also getting its own dancing game.

PQ2 on 3 DS as expected.

As for P3D's story (spoilers for P3):
MC is in it so I wonder when this takes place. I guess another memory loss at the end is a given
but what I'm really hoping for is that there's no story at all.

Minato is back!!!!! HD!!!! P5 Engine!!! I just saw the trailer. I cried! I'm buying 10 damn copies!

Lusankya

I like rhythm games so I'm looking forward to this, just some things I hope they'll chnge from P4D:
- I couldn't care less whether or not the story is canon or any good, but don't flanderize the characters too much
- Please change the scoring system. You could fail the whole song for missing one or two beats after hitting all of them perfectly before.

Lunar15

I hope they do another live studio album. The remixes from the last one are the gold standard. I honestly think of the remixes from that album more than I think about their original versions.

Lynx_7

Despite having zero interest in those dancing games, I gotta admit that P3D trailer looked really good. Felt like they put a lot more effort into it than P5's.
I also always forget Minato is Kaworu in Japan. Now I want him and Lelouch to be in the same game.

At this point I think Persona is only missing Norio Wakamoto. Get on that, Atlus.

Oh man, Nebiros. He was responsible for one of my most memorable moments in the game where Joker and one other member were brainwashed, skipping a mediarahan I desperately needed, and when it was their turn to attack, I would have died 3 times over if it wasn't for 2 teammate rescues and a final guard.

I got some good dodges and final guard and it still wasn't enough to prevent the game over because literally everyone was brainwashed lol
To add insult to the injury, Yusuke Masukukaja'd them just to make sure they wouldn't miss again.

P5D looks pretty early. The crowds in the trailer look really off, and it mostly just seems to be reusing P5 assets at the moment. P3D would be entirely new stuff which helps, but I'm sure both will look better next time we see them.

Waking up and seeing three new Persona games announced. Just had a fucking full-body orgasm.

New P3 game means I'm even more excited to play P3 after I finish P4.

Mediking

P3 is back with an even better OST ;____;
God is real. P3 is the new hotness......for the fourth time.

I agree...

But that's why Persona Q2 is better off focusing mostly on the Persona 5 cast. Like that game really needs to push the group dynamic and convince more people to love these characters for who they are. It's possible. Atlus can pull it off.

P5D looks pretty early. The crowds in the trailer look really off, and it mostly just seems to be reusing P5 assets at the moment. P3D would be entirely new stuff which helps, but I'm sure both will look better next time we see them.

Yeah the totally static low detail crowd just looks really out of place, the backgrounds in general seem a little bland in both trailers. But it is only the first trailer so it's probably not worth paying much attention to at the moment.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I played a little of Persona 4 Golden back when I had a Vita. I enjoyed the story but at the time regretted buying a Vita and sold it. I guess I just never felt like it was keeping for P4G on its own.

Recently I've been interested in buying Persona 5 now I am running out of games on my PS4. I'm going to finish off Nier before buying Persona so while I wait I decided to watch the Persona 4 animation. I didn't realise it followed the game... Well at least I remember some characters and things that happened from the game. I am really enjoying it so far! I'm only a few episodes in. Once I'm done then I'm going to watch the golden animation. I thought it would be the same but it looks like a different story?

Since I'm new...is there anything else I should check out? I only have a PS4 and PC so looks like Persona 5 is the only game I can play :( As for any tv shows or other media...it would need to be translated to english since I don't understand Japanese. I'm watching dubbed P4A and P4GA on Crunchyroll is subtitled.

Lynx_7

Alright, I finally caved in and bought a PS TV. Now watch as Atlus announces a Golden port for the PS4 sometime this year.

At least I'll finally get to play WOTL, Tactics Ogre and a few other PSP games I missed out.

What a night! The livestream concert was an absolute blast and we got 3 (not 2!) new game announcements. Exciting times ahead once again for Persona fans.

Lunar15

I agree...

But that's why Persona Q2 is better off focusing mostly on the Persona 5 cast. Like that game really needs to push the group dynamic and convince more people to love these characters for who they are. It's possible. Atlus can pull it off.

If it's anything like PQ, it might actually make the cast less.

I dunno, we keep trying to compare the casts across the games but they're all really different in feel. A lot of that comes from how the protagonist is portrayed. P3's MC seems so passive, he's literally absorbing people's thoughts and feelings and he comes off as a spring-board for their thoughts and emotions. P4's MC feels super inquisitive and direct, that's why the cast seems so built around him - he's the stable constant the cast needs to deal with the imbalances in their lives. P5's MC is more of a schemer and a planner, he's more there to ignite a fire under each of them rather than leading them directly.

The endings for each game actually do a great job of capturing each group's dynamic too.

P3:
Passive as he may be, when the cast remembers him it's a feeling of realizing how important he was to their lives, just because he was always there for them.

P4:
Yu leaving means that the stable constant is going away. It's a feeling of sadness that he's leaving, but it's knowing that the characters are strong enough to stand on their own now, without him.

P5:
Arguably the most on point ending, the characters are so driven by the MC's tendency to ignite change that they band together to free him.

I really like P5's cast, and while I agree that some events fell flat and certain characters weren't used well, adding more "funny events" isn't necessarily the way to add up for that.

Mediking

If it's anything like PQ, it might actually make the cast less.

I dunno, we keep trying to compare the casts across the games but they're all really different in feel. A lot of that comes from how the protagonist is portrayed. P3's MC seems so passive, he's literally absorbing people's thoughts and feelings and he comes off as a spring-board for their thoughts and emotions. P4's MC feels super inquisitive and direct, that's why the cast seems so built around him - he's the stable constant the cast needs to deal with the imbalances in their lives. P5's MC is more of a schemer and a planner, he's more there to ignite a fire under each of them rather than leading them directly.

Damn. Great description of the Persona 3/4/5 MCs.

Persona Q 2 still has to have better group dynamic though. Atlus gotta find a way to give Joker more personality in the group and just have the cast doing more fun stuff together.

I played a little of Persona 4 Golden back when I had a Vita. I enjoyed the story but at the time regretted buying a Vita and sold it. I guess I just never felt like it was keeping for P4G on its own.

Recently I've been interested in buying Persona 5 now I am running out of games on my PS4. I'm going to finish off Nier before buying Persona so while I wait I decided to watch the Persona 4 animation. I didn't realise it followed the game... Well at least I remember some characters and things that happened from the game. I am really enjoying it so far! I'm only a few episodes in. Once I'm done then I'm going to watch the golden animation. I thought it would be the same but it looks like a different story?

Since I'm new...is there anything else I should check out? I only have a PS4 and PC so looks like Persona 5 is the only game I can play :( As for any tv shows or other media...it would need to be translated to english since I don't understand Japanese. I'm watching dubbed P4A and P4GA on Crunchyroll is subtitled.

Golden Animation is an adaptation of the additional scenes from Persona 4 Golden, it's more of an addon anime, and less of a single coherent story. It has a heavy focus on a new character too, and is not particularly well regarded.

There's the Persona 3 movies too, which have subbed blu ray releases, and I think one of them is on Netflix, although not all of them.

P5 is the only game officially on PS4, although if you have a semi decent computer you could look into emulating 3 and 4 as well.

I'm so ready. P4D was my favorite spin off by a long mile, so happy we're getting 2 new dancing games! Really excited for P3D. So happy to see all the characters in HD. Yuki Makoto finally looking like the pretty boy he is. Yukari looks great too. Love the remix in the trailer.

Burn My Dread vocals at the start of the P3D trailers gave me mad chills.

Mediking

The endings for each game actually do a great job of capturing each group's dynamic too.

P3:
Passive as he may be, when the cast remembers him it's a feeling of realizing how important he was to their lives, just because he was always there for them.

P4:
Yu leaving means that the stable constant is going away. It's a feeling of sadness that he's leaving, but it's knowing that the characters are strong enough to stand on their own now, without him.

P5:
Arguably the most on point ending, the characters are so driven by the MC's tendency to ignite change that they band together to free him.

I really like P5's cast, and while I agree that some events fell flat and certain characters weren't used well, adding more "funny events" isn't necessarily the way to add up for that.

Dang. Even more great explanation on the MCs.

But adding more funny events would be a step in the right direction for the P5 cast in my opinion. More Futaba sending great texts, more Morgana be adorable, more Joker trying to figure out how to make coffee for his friends, etc.

Dang. Even more great explanation on the MCs.

But adding more funny events would be a step in the right direction for the P5 cast in my opinion. More Futaba sending great texts, more Morgana be adorable, more Joker trying to figure out how to make coffee for his friends, etc.
I wanted more group moments that werent so revolved around the phantom thieves things. Persona 4's werent so enjoyable just because they were funny, but because they showed that step back away from it all. They were the slice of life among the murder mystery. It was a duality I really enjoyed.

I hope the Dancing games gets a lot of costumes like DAN. especially Phoenix Rangers costumes! Also curious about how many P3 characters will be playable
I'll buy Shinjiro DLC day one.
For PQ2 the P5 gang will probably be in both school uniforms and their thieve suits. We'll also get to see P3MC (in this case his second game) and P5MC as full characters interacting with their groups, that'll be pretty fun!

I'm always up for more Persona spin-offs. I should probably try to tackle the P4 route in PQ after I finish with some of my backlog

I've been thinking about replaying P3 for a while and announcement of P3 Dancing has pushed me over the edge. I figure I should finally play FES but I seem to remember the PSN version had an issue where saves would get corrupted or something, did that issue ever get resolved?

lilty

I've been thinking about replaying P3 for a while and announcement of P3 Dancing has pushed me over the edge. I figure I should finally play FES but I seem to remember the PSN version had an issue where saves would get corrupted or something, did that issue ever get resolved?

I don't think so, but anecdotally I played through the PSN version twice with no problems. I'd cycle saves just to be on the safe side.

I don't think so, but anecdotally I played through the PSN version twice with no problems. I'd cycle saves just to be on the safe side.

It's playable. Only issues I had was an in-game cutscene freezing on me for like 3 minutes, but just let it sit and it eventually unfroze and played itself out. Some textures, like the final boss and some of the later levels in tartarus flashed a bit, but nothing game ruining.

God the concert was amazing.
I'm gonna melt that fucking bluray disc.

I'm glad Q2 apparently only focuses on P5, like we said a few pages back, it would've been a mess otherwise.
With 3 and 5 getting their own dancing games each entry gets the same amount of attention in the spin-offs.
If they do another fighting game it will probably have the casts of all 3 games though.

FluxWaveZ

I'd be genuinely shocked if PQ2 only focused on P5.

The colors:

DGOV6P4V0AA6Mhi.jpg

Lunar15

The colors:

DGOV6P4V0AA6Mhi.jpg

Yep. Plus, most of the appeal in PQ is seeing these characters all get together. As much as I'm not interested in PQ at all, even I have to admit that I really want to see the three protagonists interact. Passive, Assertive, and Passive Aggressive all in the same room!

Setsu00

I found PK joking about it, but this was speculation at least a couple of people seriously considered. There was talk that the first shown P4D characters were wearing yellow bands in remembrance.

Oh God, I remember that now.

Also, about the colors: It looks like the background is blue and yellow for P3D, actually. I don't believe that PQ2 will focus only P5, though.

FluxWaveZ

Also, about the colors: It looks like the background is blue and yellow for P3D, actually. I don't believe that PQ2 will focus only P5, though.

Oh yeah, you're right on that after paying attention to the background colors of the page as a whole.

So I think the likely thing would be P5 + P4 VIPs + P3 VIPs. But I think P5 + P2 would be a breath of fresh air in many ways. They won't do it, because that's not what the modern fanbase is about, but I'd like to see it anyways.

It's kinda weird seeing P3 and P5 put into the spotlight right now with no P4 currently in sight, so there's that.

I know the Persona twitter tweeted in Japanese "What kind of characters will be in this game? Stay tuned to find out!" and I am lowkey hoping for P1 and P2 but I also know better than to expect or hope for that. Tweet is probably just a light tease and doesn't mean anything.

Dantis

It's worth remembering that P-Studio aren't Netherealm, they don't do crazy misleads.

I think PQ2's characters will be very unsurprising to most, whoever they turn out to be.

I'm more concerned by the lack of footage. Makes it feel like it's probably a long way from launch.

It's playable. Only issues I had was an in-game cutscene freezing on me for like 3 minutes, but just let it sit and it eventually unfroze and played itself out. Some textures, like the final boss and some of the later levels in tartarus flashed a bit, but nothing game ruining.

This is encouraging but I'll definitely keep a few saves in rotation just to be safe.

Cheers.

DNAbro

It's worth remembering that P-Studio aren't Netherealm, they don't do crazy misleads.

I think PQ2's characters will be very unsurprising to most, whoever they turn out to be.

I'm more concerned by the lack of footage. Makes it feel like it's probably a long way from launch.

I would hope fall in japan and holiday elsewhere but we are probably getting it in 2019 aren't we

I wonder which of these games we'll see at TGS? I'd guess that both dancing games are a lock, but will there be any detail on PQ2 by then?

13 Sentinels.

Considering how early the Dancing trailers look, I'm not sure if we'll see much more at TGS since it's only a month away. We don't really know what state PQ2 is in, although they clearly do have character art at least, so it's interesting that they only teased that, maybe we'll see a bit more of that sooner rather than later.

There should hopefully be a followup report in gaming magazines next week at least.

13 Sentinels.

Considering how early the Dancing trailers look, I'm not sure if we'll see much more at TGS since it's only a month away, and we don't really know what state PQ2 is in, although they clearly do have character art at least, so it's interesting that they only teased that, maybe we'll see a bit more of that sooner rather than later.

There should hopefully be a followup report in gaming magazines next week at least.
Damn, I totally forgot about 13 Sentinels. When I thought of games that Atlus had announced, the only one that came to mind was Deep Strange Journey and that seemed kinda light for a TGS showing.

I see your point about the dancing games. I kinda figured since they were coming out early-ish next year they'd at least cover the basics (is there a story mode for example) but that'd probably just go in gaming magazines or something.

PK Gaming

PQ2 getting just a teaser was disappointing, but that game will come out... eventually.

P3D and P5D are nice. I bet it's a "for fun" type of game instead of something with a serious story too.

Top Bottom