• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Sophia

That and the only English dubbed work for P3 we have are the original game, the Arena spinoffs, and Q.
4 has had two more chances for things to get shaken up with the first anime and DAN.

edit: I don't know what to say about Tiso as Fuuka, but by the time they got to The Answer, you can FEEL the not-caring in every line.

Not quite; new dub work was done for FES and Portable as well.

PK Gaming

Persona has got to be, without a doubt, the most unlucky franchise when it comes to dubs.

It's just one thing after another, and with JYB not voicing a video game character since 2015 (he passed up on reprising Hajime for the demo of DRv3) things aren't looking good.

:X

It can't be that hard, considering I got it by accident. Just rotate your party and get into lots of battles.
I find funny how the Futaba version of that trophy got it almost by accident , playing the final battle and just pop out and i was like "wtf" , thought was going to be a pain in the ... like the Golden one.

Plus the Rise one is like 1 of 4 i need to platinum Golden , but never give it a chance to actually get them.
Yeah Futaba's was pretty easy, but I've heard bad things about the Rise one... I'll try it eventually.
Persona has got to be, without a doubt, the most unlucky franchise when it comes to dubs.

It's just one thing after another, and with JYB not voicing a video game character since 2015 (he passed up on reprising Hajime for the demo of DRv3) things aren't looking good.

Whaaaaaa? :( Who's the new voice?

Sophia

It's actually kind of annoying how the Japanese side can be so consistent with voices, but English dubbed works don't have that luxury.

It's especially bad for character driven franchises like Persona, where having the "right" voice can make or break a character. In this sense, Persona is actually pretty lucky that all the replacements have nailed that.

PK Gaming

Yeah Futaba's was pretty easy, but I've heard bad things about the Rise one... I'll try it eventually.

Whaaaaaa? :( Who's the new voice?

Dunno, but the guy's no good

It's actually kind of annoying how the Japanese side can be so consistent with voices, but English dubbed works don't have that luxury.

It's especially bad for character driven franchises like Persona, where having the "right" voice can make or break a character. In this sense, Persona is actually pretty lucky that all the replacements have nailed that.

Well not all

:p

Sophia

Well not all

:p

Okay MOST. :p

Naoto in the P4 anime was a good example of not nailing the right voice. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is an insanely talented actor, but she doesn't sound like Naoto. She didn't match the character. So the whole performance felt off.

No... that's not true...

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

*checks IMDB*

The Old Republic, GotG Telltale, and MvCI...

There's hope..?

Also, apparently he WAS Hajime in "Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Side: Hope" and was in New DR v3 as Rantaro.

PK Gaming

No... that's not true...

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!

*checks IMDB*

The Old Republic, GotG Telltale, and MvCI...

There's hope..?

Also, apparently he WAS Hajime in "Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Side: Hope" and was in New DR v3 as Rantaro.

Oh weird, I guess I overlooked some stuff?

But hold on, if he's playing Rantaro in DRv3, why didn't he play Hajime in the demo? ZZZ

image.jpg

Sae has a great design, no doubt about that. Im of the mind that making her a romance option would completely ruin her character and her role in the story though. So I really, really hope that Atlus just . . . Doesn't do that.

Aters

Just finished the P3 movies. Now I want a sequel that
brings protagonist back
. I don't care if the ending is already perfect or not, I just really, really want a sequel, even something like FFX-2 is fine. I wouldn't mind playing as Elizabeth.

I'm actually surprised how the movies just straight up set Aigis as the canon girl, not that I have any problem with that though. By the way, I still don't understand why the English translator changed Aegis to Aigis. Aegis is a shield wielded by Athena, it also means to protect or to support. It makes perfect sense on so many levels. What the hell is Aigis? It's not a real name or word.

Sophia

brings protagonist back
. I don't care if the ending is already perfect or not, I just really, really want a sequel, even something like FFX-2 is fine. I wouldn't mind playing as Elizabeth.

I'm actually surprised how the movies just straight up set Aigis as the canon girl, not that I have any problem with that though. By the way, I still don't understand why the English translator changed Aegis to Aigis. Aegis is a shield wielded by Athena, it also means to protect or to support. It makes perfect sense on so many levels. What the hell is Aigis? It's not a real name or word.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis

The aegis (/ˈiːdʒɪs/;[1] Ancient Greek: αἰγίς aigis), as stated in the Iliad, is carried by Athena and Zeus, but its nature is uncertain.

It's another way of spelling the same word, that is more phonically consistent in English. "Aegis" has a tendency for people to pronounce it like "Age-Is" rather than "Aye-Gis"

And as for the first paragraph....
all I can say is let it go. This is absolutely the one thing I'm pretty sure Atlus will never budge on, as it undermines every single aspect of Persona 3's story if they did that.

Makio

I'm actually surprised how the movies just straight up set Aigis as the canon girl.

Aigis , i thought the movies ship Ryoji as the best girl , jesus that almost ruin the 3rd and 4th for me.

----
Serious tho idc which girl the movies try to sell me , i just feel bad how Yukari feels so strong in the first one and then she was sent into the background with the rest SEES the moment Aigis got introduced.

Make more sense to put her in the spotlight with Aigis so they build to the Answer movie , but since that never happen ...meh.

Tbh i got mixed feelings about those movies , i dont like them but i dont hate them either , but taking in mind P3 still my favorite game in the series , i find me more willing to rewatch some episode of the first p4 anime or the p5 ova than sit to a p3 movie again , maybe the first one , the first still great.

Edit : The P3 ending is perfect , Atlus really made a big mistake to hint it in the Arena storyline and best they can do is left that alone and never touch it again.

Aters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aegis

It's another way of spelling the same word, that is more phonically consistent in English. "Aegis" has a tendency for people to pronounce it like "Age-Is" rather than "Aye-Gis"

And as for the first paragraph....
all I can say is let it go. This is absolutely the one thing I'm pretty sure Atlus will never budge on, as it undermines every single aspect of Persona 3's story if they did that.

So just another way to spell it? That's fine. I know a sequel is not gonna do much good to the story, just like FFX-2 didn't really improve anything, but I still want it. Maybe not a sequel game. A manga, light novel, movie, anime series, anything will do, if people don't like it, they can just ignore it.

Sophia

So just another way to spell it? That's fine. I know a sequel is not gonna do much good to the story, just like FFX-2 didn't really improve anything, but I still want it. Maybe not a sequel game. A manga, light novel, movie, anime series, anything will do, if people don't like it, they can just ignore it.

Have you played Persona 4 Arena and Ultimax?

Even so, it was certainly better than what was added after that. XD

So you want a sequel that irrevocably fucks up the significance and impact of the original ending, ala FFX-2?

No gracias.

Well, if it does, it'll probably only happen in universes where Aigis or Elizabeth is the true waifu 4 laifu.

No thanks.

PK Gaming

brings protagonist back

So you want a sequel that irrevocably fucks up the significance and impact of the original ending, ala FFX-2?

No gracias.

Olengie

A part of me has false hope that the Persona 3 movieso will get a dub.

I don't mind the sub versions and I'm glad their Blu-ray releases have subs included. Plan on buying them eventually

(Cross-posting my thoughts from the spoiler thread, since it since there's not much activity there)

Just finished the game just a little under 90hrs, what an experience !

Definitely my favorite entry in the serie ; the soundtrack, Makoto & Takemi being strong reasons as to why.

Some thoughts right after the credits :
• Mishima is the worst character of the serie
• I wish next games will finally drop the "obtuse, dumb, pervy, always ready to kick ass" sidekick you get every game (Junpei, Yosuke, Ryuji)
• I really appreciate the more mature writing they went for, hope it'll continue that trend !
• Thought Morgana was going to be as painful of a character to endure as Teddy was, and he ended being one of my favorite of the serie
• I loved pretty much everything otherwise, space palace and boat palace were a bit tiring to go through, but then again I got frustrated with every Persona game combat and this one was the nicest to play through.

What a game really, a pinnacle of RPG and video game in general, I think this is the kind of piece that'll get remembered through ages

Makio

Some thoughts right after the credits :
1. Mishima is the worst character of the serie
2. I wish next games will finally drop the "obtuse, dumb, pervy, always ready to kick ass" sidekick you get every game (Junpei, Yosuke, Ryuji)
3. Thought Morgana was going to be as painful of a character to endure as Teddy was, and he ended being one of my favorite of the serie

1.Kenji from Persona 3 still exist so i cant agree 100% to this , but yeah Mishima is up there in the worst list.

2.Specially since they dont gonna give us a great character as Eikichi Mishina ever... but Ryuij was way better than Yosuke i give them that.

3.Morgana is great , but i still resent that pointless and dumb plot story it happens around Haru introduction , even if was a way to connect Haru events with the phantom thieves , i roll my eyes everytime i had to go throught Morgana "character development". Better use that screentime to grow the new char instead (Haru).

I find it kinda sad that almost all of the Investigation Team's English voices from the original PS2 version have been recast :(
Not that the replacements are bad or anything but it really jarring that with each game more and more voices get replaced.
It wouldn't surprise me if by the time they remake P4 again all members of the Investigation Team will have different voices.

NOOOOOOOOOOO
Okay MOST. :p

Naoto in the P4 anime was a good example of not nailing the right voice. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is an insanely talented actor, but she doesn't sound like Naoto. She didn't match the character. So the whole performance felt off.
I like that Mary Elizabeth McGlynn tried to make Naoto sound more like a boy like in the JP dub.
I agree that the result isn't very good.

2.Specially since they dont gonna give us a great character as Eikichi Mishina ever... but Ryuij was way better than Yosuke i give them that.

3.Morgana is great , but i still resent that pointless and dumb plot story it happens around Haru introduction , even if was a way to connect Haru events with the phantom thieves , i roll my eyes everytime i had to go throught Morgana "character development". Better use that screentime to grow the new char instead (Haru).

Like for me, Akihiko in P3 and Kanji in P4 would have been way better best-buddies arcs, and introducing Ryuji as your sidekick in P5 would have been then actually cool & fresh.

I agree with that part, it's only time I went "eh", thankfully it didn't go on forever

Well since Cross Tag Battle probably won't get a dub aside from the RWBY characters we at least won't have to worry about hearing the P4 charecters recast./s

Seriously please let that game be dubbed.

Central Fiction not getting a dub combined with the fact that only the western property had English voice acting doesn't fill me with confidence.

That's true.
The fact that RWBY has a Japanese dub that this trailer didn't use may suggest that the audio's only going to be in one language.

Though I really doubt it.

Makio

Central Fiction not getting a dub combined with the fact that only the western property had English voice acting doesn't fill me with confidence.

Add the last Guilty Gear in the list too , seriously if the next DBZ game dont get a dub fix, feels to me these people dont even bother for dubs in this crossover.

Of course maybe a bigger fanbase (DBZ) or Bandai can move some things better since DBZ is a bigger and better known product , but to be honest i dont expect this crossover to had a dub at all.

Despite how curious i am to see how they handle it behind the scenes for the cast assemble and diferent studios / director (at least for Persona , Blazblue and of course RWBY).

Plus feels weird both fandoms get rekt with a audio with not familiar with it ,us with japanese after playing most of these games in english , and the japanese fandom dealing with american voices which pretty sure most of the japanese RWBY fans watch it or known the series with the japanese dub.

Top Bottom