• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

It's always surreal coming here and seeing how people react to Yosuke, then going elsewhere where he's one of the most popular characters in the series.

Not saying I don't get why people dislike him but the contrast is always amusing.

I mean I like him too. I can dump on him all I want; for the rampant sexism, extremely inconsistent writing and general annoyance, but he's still one of his P4's strongest characters, and when Yosuke is good, he's damn good.

DIkQa8QWAAcPBH9.jpg:orig

Lynx_7

Wait, didn't Persona 3 place better than 4 Golden in that same poll by Famitsu last time we talked about it? Why is it so behind now? Or is that a new one and Famitsu just runs these all the freaking time? Anyway, Breath of the Wild at 5th is surprising, it's rare to see Zelda outplacing Final Fantasy (VII) in these japanese popularity contests, let alone a recent entry. Nocturne at 49th is kinda cool in the sense that hey, at least they remember about it, which is more than I can say about western lists :p

To be fair Joker can be pretty darn edgy himself.

Also is this the first time they've openly acknowledged Persona as a "Sega" property? Feels like ATLUS' stuff has stuck mostly to itself since the buyout.

Lynx_7

Wait, didn't Persona 3 place better than 4 Golden in that same poll by Famitsu last time we talked about it? Why is it so behind now? Or is that a new one and Famitsu just runs these all the freaking time? Anyway, Breath of the Wild at 5th is surprising, it's rare to see Zelda outplacing Final Fantasy (VII) in these japanese popularity contests, let alone a recent entry. Nocturne at 49th is kinda cool in the sense that hey, at least they remember about it, which is more than I can say about western lists :p

I remembered wrong, the poll I was thinking about was best RPGs, not overall games. I got confused because Persona, Dragon Quest and Nier all placed exactly the same as this new list. lol

Anyway, my copy of P4 Golden just arrived! It's my first time replaying the game in almost a decade. Crazy to think it's been this long. Some scrambled thoughts:

-The original opening and title screen were better.
-The extras like Edogawa's classes, trailers and other stuff are cool.
-King Moron's dialogue is creepier/more juvenile than I remember...
-I don't know how I feel about Chie's new VA yet. I suppose it's closer to how she sounds in Japanese, but I was so used to her original english voice. Her delivery can be weird sometimes.
-Huh, it's odd how the dialogue backlog feature here is better than on P5. The music doesn't suddenly stop playing every time I want to reread a line of dialogue. Weird step back for them to take in the sequel.
-Did they touch up the graphics for Golden? The game looks a little better than I remember.
-I appreciate how much faster social stat gains are in P3/4. There's no little animation bringing up a star thingie and two boxes of dialogue and transitions, just plain text telling you "you got more Courage". P5 should've saved the fancy visual cues for stat level ups exclusively, otherwise it just slows scenes down for no good reason.
-It feels like P4 has a lot more voiced scenes than P5. Probably the price to pay for P5's all-star japanese cast.
-Speaking of dialogue scenes, I remember some members here saying how Joker being silent felt more awkward in P5 than Yu in P4 because of the former having longer cutscenes, and I don't really agree so far? I still have P5 pretty fresh in my mind and I don't see any significant differences. Joker has the overall better dialogue choices too, though I remember Yu having some great lines later in the game.
-Localization is as good as I remember for the most part. Still the Golden standard for the series.
-I stand by my opinion that P4's introduction is great the first time around. It does a great job stablishing the game's atmosphere, characters and story. Replaying it is rough though, it just takes far too long to put you in the action. P5's is better paced.

Meanwhile, my younger brother is playing P3 right now (P5 was his first) and I've been watching it from time to time. I gotta say, I'm glad it doesn't take a turn for enemies to stand up anymore. He soloed one of Tatarus' bosses with just Minato by simply spamming the boss's elemental weakness lol

Makio

-It feels like P4 has a lot more voiced scenes than P5. Probably the price to pay for P5's all-star japanese cast.

IDK about that , but one detail i notice just after came back about how the other chars point out or talk to each other when a certain char hits a weakness.

Example
P4 / P3
Chie hits the enemy weakness / Yukiko : Very good Chie.
Chie hits the enemy weakness again / Yosuke : Great Chie

Persona 5
Hits weakness : Looking cool Joker
Looking cool joker
Looking cool joker.
And not even give to the navi enough lines or options for situations , Morgana and Futaba say the same fucking line no matter how the situation happens , i remember Fuuka and Rise having at least 2-3 lines if something specific happen in battle.

That little detail made the battles more lively somehow , P5 really lack in battle lines.
PQ is in another level with the party members comment enemies aspects and looks and sometimes reply back to the navi (i think).

IDK about that , but one detail i notice just after came back about how the other chars point out or talk to each other when a certain char hits a weakness.

Example
P4 / P3
Chie hits the enemy weakness / Yukiko : Very good Chie.
Chie hits the enemy weakness again / Yosuke : Great Chie

Persona 5
Looking cool joker
Looking cool joker.
And not even give to the navi enough lines or options for situations , Morgana and Futaba say the same fucking line no matter how the situation happens , i remember Fuuka and Rise having at least 2-3 lines if something specific happen in battle.

That little detail made the battles more lively somehow , P5 really lack in battle lines.
PQ is in another level with the party members comment enemies aspects and looks and sometimes reply back to the navi (i think).

The weird thing is that dialogue seems to exist they just don't have it in game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_FPXrR_8qoo

Sophia

Chihaya Mifune
's confident in Persona 5 might be one of the most obnoxious in the game.
Simply because it requires 100,000 yen, which makes it one of the few confidents directly impacted by the difficulty select. Yeesh.

I'm not a big fan of Kawakami's confident eating up 5000 yen each time, either, but It's an easier pill to swallow.

Lynx_7

Chihaya Mifune
's confident in Persona 5 might be one of the most obnoxious in the game.
Simply because it requires 100,000 yen, which makes it one of the few confidents directly impacted by the difficulty select. Yeesh.

I'm not a big fan of Kawakami's confident eating up 5000 yen each time, either, but It's an easier pill to swallow.

100k is not a lot if you balance out killing some enemies and extorting money from others in an encounter. Even playing on Hard I managed to start her confidant without needing to go out of my way to grind.

And I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I like that P5 has so many places for you to spend money. A big problem with most other JRPGs is that you get this big pile of dough by the mid-endgame and pretty much nothing of value to waste it on :p
I'm positive there are some exploits for basically infinite money in P5 but as someone who played the game more "naturally" I always had to make some meaningful choices on how to spend my finances and I enjoy that.

Oh, something else I forgot to comment on P4: do japanese TV stations go out of their way to hire the most unprofessional reporters avaliable? It's like they're not even trying to hold an interview, they just sound like overly excited teenagers lmao

Sophia

100k is not a lot if you balance out killing some enemies and extorting money from others in an encounter. Even playing on Hard I managed to start her confidant without needing to go out of my way to grind.

And I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion, but I like that P5 has so many places for you to spend money. A big problem with most other JRPGs is that you get this big pile of dough by the mid-endgame and pretty much nothing of value to waste it on :p
I'm positive there are some exploits for basically infinite money in P5 but as someone who played the game more "naturally" I always had to make some meaningful choices on how to spend my finances and I enjoy that.

It's a lot on hard/challenge mode, due to the reduced money cost + importance of armor. Armor is a lot more useful here than in Persona 3 or 4; it's the difference between the protagonist getting one hit killed by a spare attack and not. I don't think I've ever had 100,000, although I could probably farm for it easily enough.

In general, I'm not fond of how the confident are laid out in Persona 5. It feel very restrictive and unnatural. Reminds me of vanilla Persona 3.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is it inevitable that we'll get an updated version of Persona 5? I don't know about the first 2 games but I know 3 got FES and 4 got Golden. If so then what are the chances of it coming to PS4? or do they only come out on handhelds like the PSP/Vita? I would love to replay the game again if it gets updated but don't want to have to buy a Vita. If it came to Switch that'd be cool since I plan on getting one but I thought Persona was mostly a Playstation title with the exception being spin offs like Q2 on 3DS for example.

Is it inevitable that we'll get an updated version of Persona 5? I don't know about the first 2 games but I know 3 got FES and 4 got Golden. If so then what are the chances of it coming to PS4? or do they only come out on handhelds like the PSP/Vita? I would love to replay the game again if it gets updated but don't want to have to buy a Vita. If it came to Switch that'd be cool since I plan on getting one but I thought Persona was mostly a Playstation title with the exception being spin offs like Q2 on 3DS for example.

A P5 remaster/"enhanced edition"/expansion/whatever coming to a Nintendo console would be unprecedented, all Nintendo has gotten are PQ/PQ2. I do hope they'd pull a Switch/PS4/PC release with it though.

I think someone who called the April 4th delay well in advance here said before that a "P5R" would be out by late 2018 at the earliest. So I think it's in development, personally.

Lusankya

Is it inevitable that we'll get an updated version of Persona 5?

I doubt we'll get one (at least anytime soon).
First there is absolutely no need for an "updated" version of P5 and second is the P team completely busy with other projects at the moment.

kromeo

I assume the only reason 4G was handheld only was because the ps2 was long dead by then, I'm pretty sure any enhanced version of 5 would be on ps4

I agree. Being perpetually poor on hard difficulty was a lot of fun because you really had to use a lot of different tricks--like other Confidant abilities--to not die. For comparison, being perpetually poor in real life is significantly less interesting.

Edit: wait a second, does Hard even affect the amount of money you make? I thought only Merciless did that. I'm getting conflicting answers online.

wow holy shit (P3 spoilers)
I only just realized that Memories Of The School is literally a piano cover of Kimi no Kioku, I can't deal with this

Heh. Looking through those data mined quote videos I just noticed Sae's has over 40,000 views. Compare that to the other confidants who have at most 6,000.

People are thirsty.

Lynx_7

I agree. Being perpetually poor on hard difficulty was a lot of fun because you really had to use a lot of different tricks--like other Confidant abilities--to not die. For comparison, being perpetually poor in real life is significantly less interesting.

Edit: wait a second, does Hard even affect the amount of money you make? I thought only Merciless did that. I'm getting conflicting answers online.
Agreed on both counts.

And yeah, only Merciless reduces your EXP/Money intake.
It's a lot on hard/challenge mode, due to the reduced money cost + importance of armor. Armor is a lot more useful here than in Persona 3 or 4; it's the difference between the protagonist getting one hit killed by a spare attack and not. I don't think I've ever had 100,000, although I could probably farm for it easily enough.

In general, I'm not fond of how the confident are laid out in Persona 5. It feel very restrictive and unnatural. Reminds me of vanilla Persona 3.

The only confidant I remember having significant issues with was Iwai. Level 4 Guts for the very beginning of the game just to start his SL and having to read that message everytime you wanted to buy something was rough. Should've moved that stat check further in his confidant. I thought the others were pretty reasonable though. Most of them I was already close to or at the required stat level.

Agreed on both counts.

And yeah, only Merciless reduces your EXP/Money intake.

The only confidant I remember having significant issues with was Iwai. Level 4 Guts for the very beginning of the game just to start his SL and having to read that message everytime you wanted to buy something was rough. Should've moved that stat check further in his confidant. I thought the others were pretty reasonable though. Most of them I was already close to or at the required stat level.
Ah, thanks. Everything I hear about Merciless makes it sound awful, haha.

Iwai is weird because his Confidant perks aren't all that useful by the time you have good enough social stats to take advantage. I thought he kept up the Hanged Man tradition of being one of the best stories at least.

Sophia

Hard mode doesn't reduce your money, but you still end up with less of it due to the fact that you need better weapons/armors to account for the decreased all-out-attack damage/increased party damage.

Hard mode doesn't reduce your money, but you still end up with less of it due to the fact that you need better weapons/armors to account for the decreased all-out-attack damage/increased party damage.

I think I blew something like 20K yen per boss fight just decking out enough med items lol.

Is all-out-attack damage dictated by difficulty and weapon stats? Because it seemed much weaker to me in P5; so much so that I stopped upgrading weapons pretty early on and just used baton passes and physical skills instead. I just assumed they nerfed it in P5 generally so people spammed it less.

Lynx_7

I mostly ignored the weapon and armor shop. I found it manageable enough to use the equipment found inside dungeons. Whenever I did have some spare change laying around I'd buy better armor or a weapon for some member lagging behind, but it was very sparingly.

I did waste a looot of money on fusions though, which I consider to be the best investment anyway since I'm spamming magic in most battles. Healing items from time to time too.

Sophia

Is all-out-attack damage dictated by difficulty and weapon stats? Because it seemed much weaker to me in P5; so much so that I stopped upgrading weapons pretty early on and just used baton passes and physical skills instead. I just assumed they nerfed it in P5 generally so people spammed it less.

Yes to both. All out attack damage is determined by your weapon, and damage dealt by your party is decreased by 20% on Hard and Merciless Mode across the board. If your all out attacks aren't one-hit killing enemies of a similar level, then your weapon probably needs upgraded.

Standard attacks are also a lot more useful here compared to Persona 4. Lots of enemies are weak to gunfire, technical damage is on par with skill use, and both guns and weapons typically do pretty good damage if you keep your weapons up-to-date. It's also harder to restore SP here compared to Persona 4, so using standard attacks can conserve SP a bit.

Yes to both. All out attack damage is determined by your weapon, and damage dealt by your party is decreased by 20% on Hard and Merciless Mode across the board. If your all out attacks aren't one-hit killing enemies of a similar level, then your weapon probably needs upgraded.

Standard attacks are also a lot more useful here compared to Persona 4. Lots of enemies are weak to gunfire, technical damage is on par with skill use, and both guns and weapons typically do pretty good damage if you keep your weapons up-to-date. It's also harder to restore SP here compared to Persona 4, so using standard attacks can conserve SP a bit.
Thanks for the info! My only problem with technical damage is that I always forgot what type of attack was useful against each status ailment, haha.

Sophia

Thanks for the info! My only problem with technical damage is that I always forgot what type of attack was useful against each status ailment, haha.

For physical skills, freeze and shock. Good way to save SP; have Ryuji or Yusuke freeze/shock the enemy, and the protagonist (EDIT: Or everyone, really) follow up with a standard attack.

kromeo

Finished P4tA. Loved it. Really exceeded my expectations.

I actually bought that on Amazon yesterday, still never finished the game though so I need to replay it first. I wanted to get the P3 movies as well but the prices for the blu rays are ridiculous even by anime standards

So been meaning to play P3 but don't know which version to get between P3P or FES. I have a Vita, but I'm a little hesitant on P3P since most of the world is just a 2D thing with icons (iirc).

So been meaning to play P3 but don't know which version to get between P3P or FES. I have a Vita, but I'm a little hesitant on P3P since most of the world is just a 2D thing with icons (iirc).

I played P3P about 1.5 years ago. I'd recommend FES, personally. Don't know how bad no party control feels like, but 3D environments and models add a charm to the game that I've always felt I missed.

Oh damn, there's no party controls in FES?? That's so fucked.

The main complaint against FES (except only one protagonist option, which brings with it some stuff like having to romance all the girls to max S. Links) is that you can only set tactics for your party members (focus on attack/defense/heal etc.).

In P3 Portable, you give direct commands to everyone (a la P4, P5, any other turn-based JRPG I know)

P3P also lacks cutscenes.

N° 2048

Same here, so I'm doing P3 FES then P3P Fem route.

It's a lot, I don't play games twice usually but I'll try.

Sophia

FES:
  • Full 3D Overworld and cutscenes
  • Animated cutscenes
  • Protagonist can use almost all the weapons types, each with their own type of physical damage.
  • Fatigue system; progress in Tartarus is dictated by stamina.
  • The Answer as a 20-30 hour post-game epilogue/sidestory
  • No female protagonist
  • No direct party control
  • None of the minor quality of life improvements introduced in Persona 4

Portable
  • Female Protagonist route
  • Direct Party Control from Persona 4
  • Quality of life improvements from Persona 4 have been backported over, such as quick travel
  • No fatigue system; progress in Tartarus is now dictated by your SP like Persona 4
  • No The Answer
  • Most cutscenes and environments have had a graphical downgrade to 2D.
  • No animated cutscenes besides the opening; replaced by in-game cutscenes instead.
  • Protagonists can only use a single weapon type (Swords/Nagitanas, both of which count as slash damage.)

Take your pick, there are benefits and drawbacks to both.

FES:
  • Full 3D Overworld and cutscenes
  • Animated cutscenes
  • Protagonist can use almost all the weapons types, each with their own type of physical damage.
  • Fatigue system; progress in Tartarus is dictated by stamina.
  • The Answer as a 20-30 hour post-game epilogue/sidestory
  • No female protagonist
  • No direct party control
  • None of the minor quality of life improvements introduced in Persona 4

Portable
  • Female Protagonist route
  • Direct Party Control from Persona 4
  • Quality of life improvements from Persona 4 have been backported over, such as quick travel
  • No fatigue system; progress in Tartarus is now dictated by your SP like Persona 4
  • No The Answer
  • Most cutscenes and environments have had a graphical downgrade to 2D.
  • No animated cutscenes besides the opening; replaced by in-game cutscenes instead.
  • Protagonists can only use a single weapon type (Swords/Nagitanas, both of which count as slash damage.)

Take your pick, there are benefits and drawbacks to both.

Wow, thanks for posting this! I think I'll probably go with portable then. I'm so used to P4 and 5 that I don't think I could handle not having direct commands on top of a fatigue system. Also I could just watch the animated cutscenes on YouTube I guess.

Top Bottom