• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

OrionX

Wonder if a historical school setting would work. Like Raidou but set in a school.

Ooh I like that idea. I love the current formula, but I don't think a little more variety in setting and characters would hurt. I have no problem at all with the Japanese setting, but it would be nice to maybe see some persona users from other parts of the world. I like to imagine that for hundreds of years, in schools all over the world there've been students awakening to their powers and working together to destroy whatever's currently threatening society. Lol

...Perhaps I'm putting a bit too much thought into it, it's probably only modern-day Japanese high school students awakening to magical powers, those guys get all the cool stuff. XD

Honestly I want to see a futuristic Persona.

Idea: Earth has been left behind a generation or a decade ago, all humans are living in city-sized spaceships. S-Links and such are based on people's losses from Earth and how they are trying to adapt to space life and the issues that brings. Bosses are parts of the world (nature, family, material possessions...) that particular people cannot let go of, or past regrets. General theme is learning to let go (too similar to P3?).

OrionX

Honestly I want to see a futuristic Persona.

Idea: Earth has been left behind a generation or a decade ago, all humans are living in city-sized spaceships. S-Links and such are based on people's losses from Earth and how they are trying to adapt to space life and the issues that brings. Bosses are parts of the world (nature, family, material possessions...) that particular people cannot let go of, or past regrets. General theme is learning to let go (too similar to P3?).

Persona in space? I didn't realize how much I wanted that until now... Thanks. :p

Lynx_7

If they want a futuristic setting they might as well make a Soul Hackers sequel, or a new series. I'm not sure if Persona is the best franchise for that.

Setsu00

If they want a futuristic setting they might as well make a Soul Hackers sequel, or a new series. I'm not sure if Persona is the best franchise for that.

I agree with that. I believe that Persona would lose a lot of its appeal if you stripped it of its modern setting.

Zolo

I agree with that. I believe that Persona would lose a lot of its appeal if you stripped it of its modern setting.

Yeah. The deal with at least some of the social links is dealing with current problems. If you set it too far in the future, it might lose some of that. Similar problem happened with Deus Ex: Invisible War.

DNAbro

I would like Atlus to try new things. Doesn't have to be Persona though. Maybe the team, but I guess Atlus would want them to stay Persona because profit maker.

Mediking

I would like for Atlus to fully master the school setting in Persona 6 then let it go. If not, then spinoff please. And once again... I'm jumping between Persona 1, Persona 3 and Persona 4 all at the same time and they all have school settings and while they all are cool... they are also somewhat boring.

Lynx_7

I would like for Atlus to fully master the school setting in Persona 6 then let it go. If not, then spinoff please. And once again... I'm jumping between Persona 1, Persona 3 and Persona 4 all at the same time and they all have school settings and while they all are cool... they are also somewhat boring.

Maybe you shouldn't play so many games from the same series at the same time or one after the other? That's never a good idea.
I got burned on Final Fantasy of all franchises once by doing the exact same thing and that's a franchise that constantly reinvents itself from entry to entry. It's also why I'm taking a break from Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest and Zelda.

Also Souls fatigue earlier this year.

jzbluz

Atlus should at least make more spinoffs. I think the only somewhat recent MegaTen games are Persona, Devil Survivor, SMT, TMS and Catherine if those last two can be called MegaTen. Although, ideally I would like something new from them, like Radiant Historia.

Wonder if a historical school setting would work. Like Raidou but set in a school.

Weren't school same sex in the Taisho era? Sounds homoerotic, I like it.

Strimei

I said this before, but Atlus should use the Golden Theater from Catherine and use it as a framing device for some more experimental stuff (like Catherine). Use it with the backpacking idea they had for P5 originally, that sort of thing.

Personally don't mind Persona sticking to schools, it works for it fairly well and you can tell interesting stories with it.

PK Gaming

We've only had 3 (no, 1, 2 and IS/EP do not count) Persona games that focused primarily on the school setting.

So I don't feel burnt out yet. There's still so much I want them to do with it.

Lynx_7

Honestly, I just want a PS2-era renaissaince from Atlus now that they have an HD engine running. I'm loving SMT Apocalypse but I'm also tired of MegaTen being stuck with portable budgets and assets. I want an HD SMT, YHVHdamnit. I want new spin-offs like Raidou and DDS. Most importantly, I want them all to feature Dante from the Devil May Cry™ Series.

Why didn't they include protagonist gender choices after P3P? P5 Protagonist for example doesn't look too manly. A tiny adjustments in bust size etc. and you could have a female protagonist.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Why didn't they include protagonist gender choices after P3P? P5 Protagonist for example doesn't look too manly. A tiny adjustments in bust size etc. and you could have a female protagonist.

Budget, given that the P3P implementation is more extensive than just a cosmetic model change.

I'm sure they would love to if they had the funds to do 1 hour of anime redrawing for the female version, voice recording for feMC and her exclusive slinks, customes and probably a few other things I'm not thinking of. Point is if they at least would want to implement a feMC that had parity to the normal MC it would be way more expensive that people would probably think.

Also not sure on the too manly comment. Playing the game I don't think you can mistake the gender really definitely not a case of overly androgynous.

Setsu00

Probably due to budget concerns. They would have to create two different versions of most animated cutscenes and they would probably have to include more Coop characters as well.

On the topic of P5 spin-offs: Wada was asked today during a fighting game tournament about the possibility of a Persona 5 Arena. They don't have anything concrete yet, but Wada absolutely wants to make P5A a reality.

PK Gaming

It wasn't just because of budget concerns, haha. I mean... there's a reason a lot games don't do this. You can't just swap a protagonist's gender and call it a day. Even disregarding animated cutscenes, dialogue has to essentially be rewritten, co-ops almost completely changed... hell even various events in the narrative would be different
you think the interrogators would be that rough on a woman?
Not to mention romance.

They could only get away with in P3P because P3 is a game that already exists.

It wasn't just because of budget concerns, haha. I mean... there's a reason a lot games don't do this. You can't just swap a protagonist's gender and call it a day. Even disregarding animated cutscenes, dialogue has to essentially be rewritten, co-ops almost completely changed... hell even various events in the narrative would be different
you think the interrogators would be that rough on a woman?
Not to mention romance.

They could only get away with in P3P because P3 is a game that already exists.

Not to mention that P3P strips out a lot visually, which makes the changes involving a female protagonist feasible.

Lynx_7

There's you japanese voices.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder if there's any chance at all Pewdiepie might pick up P5 sometime down the line. He seemed to have really enjoyed Catherine
(did that get any notable boost in sales back then, btw?)
and the guy obviously has a lot of sway over his fans, which would be good publicity for the game. Also wouldn't be the first time he's played a JRPG on his channel since he did a few videos on Ni No Kuni. I'm just saying, if Atlus won't market it properly, then somebody should :p

barybll

Banned
There's you japanese voices.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder if there's any chance at all Pewdiepie might pick up P5 sometime down the line. He seemed to have really enjoyed Catherine
(did that get any notable boost in sales back then, btw?)
and the guy obviously has a lot of sway over his fans, which would be good publicity for the game. Also wouldn't be the first time he's played a JRPG on his channel since he did a few videos on Ni No Kuni. I'm just saying, if Atlus won't market it properly, then somebody should :p

Im sure its gonna reach him some day or not.

And if someone says "hey its from the same guys from catherine" he will probably check it

PK Gaming

Yoshitsune3.jpg

Paying my respects to the original #BasedPersona

The man(?), the legend within the Persona 4 community himself

Yoshitsune

PK Gaming

Just P4, ey? ;)

Also, what's the occasion.

Yoshitsune wasn't as legendary in other SMT games like he was in P4.

Almost every P4 player knew who he was. Either during their playthrough or after the fact.

"Hassou Tobi" was a powerful phrased uttered by P4 fans in the most serious manner. Gamefaq threads asking "what's the best Persona" would inevitably circle back to one Persona; Yoshitsune. Players would tell newer players to fuse Yoshitsune on "D day" (Debilitate day). "Stick through the Tower slink" was almost a meme. I can't think of another SMT demon that generated nearly as much hype and adoration as Yoshitsune.

While you might be scared of monsters hiding under your bed, monsters are scared of Yoshitsunes hiding under their beds.

My hope is that P5 will have its "own" Yoshitsune (and hopefully not literally, Yoshitsune again, lol)

As for the occasion... I got the bastard in SMTIV-A. Hell yes.

My hope is that P5 will have its "own" Yoshitsune (and hopefully not literally, Yoshitsune again, lol)

As for the occasion... I got the bastard in SMTIV-A. Hell yes.

Ah, the Famed race. The very definition of a "happy accident".

Also, I can think of at least one that might be able to succeed the throne.

Finished SMT4A! Damn I really missed SMT games. I'm gonna replay the Devil Summoner Soul Hackers remake and the Two Devil Survivors again in the lead up to Persona 5! The gameplay loop is so satisfying for me I don't know why.

But I really want to replay the Digital Devil Saga series. Does anyone know if I can get them on Vita?

Makio

Mild Spoiler im already see some players using Yoshitsune in a specific late game battle in Persona 5 and from the looks of it he still OP as ever

Mediking

Mild Spoiler im already see some players using Yoshitsune in a specific late game battle in Persona 5 and from the looks of it he still OP as ever

This isn't really spoiler material to me but saying "mild spoiler" and not even hiding the following text with the spoiler thing isn't a good idea. Maybe you thought you pressed it but you didn't.

Setsu00

So he is the composer, but he changed the band members for this game?

i mean these singers are not in?

2682712-0186674606-Dream.jpg

No.

Lotus Juice and Yumi Kawamura were the singers for Persona 3, Shihoko Hirata sang for Persona 4 and Persona 5 features vocals by Lyn Inaizumi.

However I can almost guarantee you that a potential future spin-off will most likely feature all four of them.

Dantis

So he is the composer, but he changed the band members for this game?

i mean these singers are not in?

2682712-0186674606-Dream.jpg

There is no band. Meguro composes all the music and plays the guitars. Everything else is synth and sampled, as far as I'm aware.

He gets a different vocalist for each core game, which why P5 has a new singer.

The singers have no input on the composition though, and besides Lotus Juice, also have no influence on the lyrics that they sing.

Mediking

Seriously though. Persona does have the potential to hit the JRPG equivalent as something as big as Mass Effect. It really does.

Notbenny

Neo Member
When does everyone expect the European release to come out? I'm holding out for the NA version to be not-region-locked but in the case that it is, I hope the EU version comes out very soon after.

pan-hime

When does everyone expect the European release to come out? I'm holding out for the NA version to be not-region-locked but in the case that it is, I hope the EU version comes out very soon after.
...Are you talking about P5? It's the same day as NA (albiet you guys get it a few hours before us NA-ers due to timezones)

Notbenny

Neo Member
...Are you talking about P5? It's the same day as NA (albiet you guys get it a few hours before us NA-ers due to timezones)

Did not know that, haha. I've been avoiding everything Persona 5 since the Deep Silver announcement so I just assumed it would be way after NA. That's great though, very happy to hear that

Seriously though. Persona does have the potential to hit the JRPG equivalent as something as big as Mass Effect. It really does.

Fanbase-wise? I agree, and I feel that it's already reached that status in Japan.

Scale-wise? Nope, Persona is far more down-to-earth (pun not intended) and personal in scale compared to something like Mass Effect.

I think we'll have to wait a looooong time. If anything an SMT game is more likely if they push the "Fucking summon Satan!" aspect of it. Making cool/edgy and dark. But even then.

Also JRPGs will never reach ME now. Only FF and even then...

kurahador

Guys...got a question. I'm thinking of buying P4 Ultimax, does NA DLC works on asian version of the game? Reason I'm asking is the Arena story DLC doesn't seem to be available in asia psn.

Top Bottom