• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2014 Demo coming in August

rvy

Banned
Turns out they even got the cover star wrong, lol.

Chuksy ‏@Itz_chuksy 15h
Why does @Cristiano follow @officialpes and not @EASPORTSFIFA. Lol #JustSaying

Pro Evolution Soccer ‏@officialpes 27m
@Itz_chuksy Why would he? He's our cover star!

rvy

Banned
It begins:

PES2014 Preview Code Impressions - Leeomac

So Overall then to wrap this up I am really pleased with PES 2014, my only concern has to be the referees and once they fix this for the final retail release we could possibly have something special here. We do of course still need to know how the other game modes are but at least most importantly the gameplay brings back that joy of playing the beautiful game again, something I and imagine others might have missed since the days of PES 5 & 6."

PES 2014 – Die Previewversion im Test (German-speaking GAF only)

"A truly round football package"

Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 will usher in a new era of their series, supported by the Fox Engine, and several new features such as True Heart Ball or tech. Graphic and gameplay they are thus well on the way. Changing the active player and especially the referee, however, need to be improved in order not to tarnish the gameplay of the final product. Also get the goalie something special training, then comes the autumn a really round soccer package on the market.

Potential: very good

Poor Google translation.

Adam Bhatti ‏@Adam_Bhatti 2 min

Anyway, I need to shift gears. We have previews dropping now of the game. I have a few new screens too #Ronaldinho

bud

We do of course still need to know how the other game modes are but at least most importantly the gameplay brings back that joy of playing the beautiful game again, something I and imagine others might have missed since the days of PES 5"

hhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggg

rvy

Banned
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014's Fox in the Box

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 marks something of a soft reboot for the long-running football series. With an impressive new engine in tow – Konami’s feted Fox Engine no less – and a strong localisation team now installed at Konami’s European office, it’s clear that PES 2014 is doing its best to move the series forward, to innovate and impress audiences old and new. And while it’s still unclear about how some of its more ambitious features will actually work – we’ll come to those later – it’s definitely worth keeping an eye on during the pre-season.

Let’s start off by being quite superficial. PES 2014 looks fantastic, and is a significant improvement on previous instalments. The stadium I played in were highly-detailed, atmospheric, and the crowd didn’t feel like an afterthought – they display custom banners and signs, and will slowly filter to the car park if the home team takes a beating.

But by far the most eye-catching aspect of PES 2014 is the players. The benefits of the new Fox Engine are evident and very, very impressive. Skin textures look incredible – in replays and post-goal celebrations, you can see pores, veins bulging beneath the skin, and sweat dripping from the brows of your more industrious players. And the likenesses of marquee players such as Balotelli, Ozil, and Schweinsteiger are genuinely uncanny. The preview build I spent time with was limited to Bayern Munich, Santos, and the German and Italian national teams, so I'm unsure how many players will have this level of detail.

During a game, when the camera pulls out to the default television angle, much of this detail is inevitably obscured, but during goal celebrations and action-replays you’ll marvel at its high-level realism, from the improved grass texture to the way fabric billows when players run. It’s not quite next-gen, but it’s arguably the best-looking football game the current generation of consoles has produced so far.

If you're coming to PES 2014, after a few years away, you'll find it challenging and reward, visually impressive, and full of new ideas. Konami has rested upon those laurels of years ago, it's gone back to the drawing board and found returned with something very promising.

Jack cw

Sounds nice! But we had those Return of the King previews before. After 5 PES in a row I hope that there is finally some improvement. Removing Seabass from this project was probably the best desicion by Konami in a long time.

rvy

Banned
PES 2014 Hands-On: Another Step Towards FIFA

There's a great football game in here - one where you have to play to your team's strengths rather than charging up the field, and there's still no better goal-scoring feeling than in PES. Let's hope Konami tweak it before release.

Ronaldinho pic.

BQgALlwCEAI81in.jpg:large

rvy

Banned
PES 2014 preview: Why I'll be making the switch back this year

Leafing through adverts and reviews of football games going back ten or twenty years, it's immediately noticeable how little has changed - superficially - in the way we describe them. The box blurb for FIFA 95, for example, boasts of its "fast gameplay" and "pinpoint give-and-go passes". Both phrases that will likely feature in any discussion of its descendant in 2013. This rather charming 1997 IGN review of ISS 64, meanwhile, speaks glowingly of the title's "responsiveness" while asserting that there's "no lag time like in FIFA". Sound familiar?

The significance of this is that, while the genre has moved forward - impossibly, unimaginably so when I think back to my sheer astonishment the first time I laid my eyes on FIFA 97 - we're all still striving for the same things. Not a better representation of the sport we love, perhaps, but a better synthesis of all the things we've enjoyed from the dozens of iterations played over the years. Capturing this only gets harder as time goes on, and a 'perfect game', as we might imagine it, moves further and further away. It's a Promethean task for developers, and you can't help but feel a little sympathy for them having to step up to the plate, year after year, and take another swing

It's about time someone threw a curveball.

Allow me to preface my brief playthrough experience of PES 2014 with an admission. I'm a FIFA guy. Like (almost) everyone else, I jumped ship in the late noughties and - despite still playing with PES controls - have barely looked back. The apparent reinvention of the PES series over the last few years piqued my interest of course, but nothing more than that. FIFA's been fine, just fine - even excellent at times - and the licences, online play and sheer glut of gameplay options means I've rarely looked back.

"Within 30 seconds of playing PES 2014 I knew, fairly instinctively, that this is the year that my allegiances switch back again."

So, feel free to take with a pinch of salt the opinion of someone that works in an industry where contrariansim is heavily incentivised, but at this admittedly early stage PES looks to be, aside from all the whistles and baubles, a purer, more refined expression of the sport, at its simplest, than its moneyed rival. We've become adept at describing what's good about football games each year - perhaps it's about time we remembered what made them fun in the first place.

Daaaaaaamn, Eurogamer.

PaulLFC

Thanks for the links, looking forward to reading all these now. Impressions certainly seem positive, really can't wait for the demo.

Pennywise

People who played the early build were pretty exited. Will get it on PC because of the modding but its a shame that there is no next gen version...

I'm most likely gonna do the same.

Even though I'm getting a PS4 there is no way fucking way I'm still sticking to Fifa without a proper change.

And since Dortmund still won't be in the new PES, I'll take the PC version over the PS3 version.

Cess007

Confirmed:

This is the first time i'm seriously considering buying FIFA (first since 2005) instead of PES since i was so disappointed with PES2013. I hope the demo is amazing and make me stick with PES for this year ><

rvy

Banned
This is the first time i'm seriously considering buying FIFA (first since 2005) instead of PES since i was so disappointed with PES2013. I hope the demo is amazing and make me stick with PES for this year ><

PES has been awful since 2009, I have no idea what you're doing with your money.

Afrikan

^
wrong section buddy, Off Topic Community Football forum is that way.....please stick with the subject and stop posting photos of players.

:eek:

Sweet. I switched back to PES last year, and from what I've seen, Konami will get my money again. Can't see myself getting FIFA 14, unless the next-gen version is spectacular.

Looking great, been frustrated with the series for a while. I hope they have better online modes this year, a properly implemented 2 v 2 mode would be most welcome.

From a marketing standpoint, I wish they improve on that awfully dull logo.

rvy

Banned
There's some confirmation about what leagues will be in the game?

There's some new fully licensed South American Leagues and we have the AFC this year, but as far as Yurop goes, we gotta wait till Gamescom. Bundesliga and EPL are out if that's what you're asking. Exclusive deal with EA.

Pennywise

There's some new fully licensed South American Leagues and we have the AFC this year, but as far as Yurop goes, we gotta wait till Gamescom. Bundesliga and EPL are out if that's what you're asking. Exclusive deal with EA.

Well, there is still no conformation which German teams are in for the CL, Dortmund wasn't in last year :/

rvy

Banned
Well, there is still no conformation which German teams are in for the CL, Dortmund wasn't in last year :/

Bayern is in. Hopefully they got Dortmund too.
Not sure where this British Premiership info comes from, but I have never heard of it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Bayern is in. Hopefully they got Dortmund too.
Not sure where this British Premiership info comes from, but I have never heard of it.

Is British Premier Championship the same as British Premier League?

rvy

Banned
Any info about the brazilian league?

Serie A:

Goianienseo Clube Atlético
Mineiro Clube Atlético
Paranaense Atlético Clube
Esporte Clube Bahia
Botafogo de Futebol e Regatas
Sport Club Corinthians
Coritiba Foot Ball Club
Criciuma Clube Esporte
Clube Cruzeiro Esporte
Clube de Regatas do Flamengo
Fluminense FC
Goias Esporte Clube
Grêmio Foot-Ball Porto Alegrense
Sport Club Internacional
Capibaribe Clube Nautico
Ponte Preta Associação Athletic
Desportos Associação Portuguesa de
Santos FC
São Paulo FC
Club de Regatas Vasco da Gama
Esporte Clube Vitoria

Serie B:

Sociedade Esportiva Palmeiras
Figueirense Futebol Clube
Sport Club do Recife

The only thing missing seems to be the name of the league, really. Everything else is almost fully licensed.

dortmund has to be. They have the champions league license.

Doesn't matter, Chelsea hasn't been licensed since PES6 and they're in the CL. Konami works around EA exclusivity to get what they can.

Rashid

Banned
Anyone know if it'll have PS Move support? The most fun I had in a "proper" football game was playing PES 08 on Wii, those pointer controls were awesome, and I've had all the FIFA's on current gen.

Daaaaaaamn, Eurogamer.

Eurogamer also gave last year's game an 9.

I remember you being pretty hyped for pes 2013 and trashed it when it came out. You should temper your expectations. Konami may be working with a new engine but it's still the same team. It's not going to be a complete transformation in one year. If you thought the game was awful from 09-13 odds you're not going to like 14 either.

rvy

Banned
Eurogamer also gave last year's game an 9.

I remember you being pretty hyped for pes 2013 and trashed it when it came out. You should temper your expectations. Konami may be working with a new engine but it's still the same team. It's not going to be a complete transformation in one year. If you thought the game was awful from 09-13 odds you're not going to like 14 either.

My main issue was that the animation quality was poor and hindered gameplay in some cases, which is no longer an issue. 2014 and the previous games simply aren't comparable in this area. Not even FIFA 14 has better animation.

Tutorial - Heart [PES 2014]

Top Bottom