• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2014 gameplay footage

rvy

Banned
Continuous play at throw-in in 9:24, very nice!

Looks very fluid and "free".

The main thing, for me, is that the animations look like something you'd watch on TV in a real game. It blows my mind. So much detail. Can't wait for the demo.

rvy

Banned
What's the white arrow indicating when the player is in control of the ball? Haven't seen that before.

Manual passing. Kei Masuda seems to be playing with no assistance, which is why the arrow is there. If you turn on the assistance, it goes away.

Btw, they seem to not only have brought back some of the lost cinematics, but also created custom ones for stadiums that warrant it:

elar4Y7l.jpg

iJ9LdoYl.jpg

LJKAASXl.jpg

lemmykoopa

Don't see the fuss about this to be honest. Look at the players that don't have the ball, they are floating and having animation skips.

bud23

I don´t get why you guys are so excited, it looks just OK to me, I´m unable to see those revolutionary animations you are talking about.

I dunno if you guys played the last couple PES games from this generation. But the way the ball and players interact with each other and how they move seem very different to me. It's hard to explain, might be able to see it if you just Youtube PES 2013 and then rewatch this newer footage..

Majukun

I think it looks really odd because I'm so used to FIFA

same here..

but i'm also a bit sick of fifa..they need to blow my away with the demo and the gameplay videos,otherwise for me is no football game or pes..

i'm sick and tired of all the porblems fifa has and that are still present after years and years...

Pachimari

I like what I'm seeing.

It's so fluid. Hopefully the series is back.

I'm definitely getting this for PS3 and FIFA 14 for PS4 this year. Wonderful year for football.

Viruz

I need a demo. If it play like it looks; PES on PS3 it is.
I still don't understand why PES14 is not on PS4.

Pachimari

is this even fox engine?

doesn't look half as good as MGS gameplay footage

It's a modified version of the FOX Engine.

Team Play – Take control of up to 3 or more players to execute tactics in key areas of the field! Create or exploit space, use the flanks or overlap play to make yourself available and beat the defense!
Read this on their Facebook.

How are they gonna do this control-wise?

rvy

Banned
It's a modified version of the FOX Engine.

Read this on their Facebook.

How are they gonna do this control-wise?

You can see it in the gameplay videos, I think. Every now and then there's a little window with formation arrows that pops up in the bottom left of the screen. Like "attack through the wings" or "through the middle". Those seem to be player activated.

Tecl0n

Considering EA has shunned us PC gamers again, this is looking better each time, the demo will be deciding IMO. (Also Bayern vs Santos, REALLY?)

Just watched the gameplay for the first time.

Man, the animations are the best I've seen in a football game, ever. The way Ribery cut inside and dribbled was so lifelike. Can't wait to see what they can do on PS4.

rvy

Banned
Does actual gameplay look a little jittery to anyone else?

Yup, it's the E3 build after all. I notice a bunch of slowdowns. There's a reason why the regular public doesn't have access to the demo.
Hjerpseth and Adam Bhatti are gonna play PES 14 today? LMAO. They should totally put it on YT.

feel

WENB said:
"Massive news to come recently also included the return of the greatly missed League Mode! Confirmed by Kei Masuda, it was removed from 2013. The fans spoke however & Konami have listened. League Mode is back in 2014 and this is bound to please many who were disheartened by its absence in 2013."
YES! Was worried this was gone for good to force people to play Master League. These days I prefer to just play the matches one after another without having to deal with club management.

jabuseika

Wow, there's so much improvement.

Feels like this time around there's more than 3 programmers working on this.

Interesting they mention in the Gamespot video, how the crowds can have an effect of how the players play, and are not just reactionary to how well you're doing in the game.

rvy

Banned
- You have to learn how to control the players; at the beginning it looks like amateur level football.
- If there is body contact, you can now use the right stick to put pressure on the opponent player with your body/physics to get the ball.
- Much more realistic animations: marked movements from stars. Here is goalkeeper Neuer also mentioned.
- New body physics guarantees that if you stay bad to the ball it take some time to pass.
- Game speed is slower (they like it, because it becomes in their eyes more realistic).
- Early version: it's not ready; to many nutmegs are possible; throw ins and also passes go often into a direction you did not wished for; goalkeeper bloopers still there (It was possible for one of the testers to shoot two corner kicks into the goal).
- They are confident that Konami will work on the bad aspects.
- The cooperation between offensive and defensive works better than in old PES.
- Graphical it is better in every aspect (faces, emotions, facial-animations, stadiums, THAT grass ;), Ball, jerseys), but there is the so called Kantenflimmern. Don't know how one can translate that. The edges flaring like it was in Darksiders and Bayonetta
- They enjoyed playing FIFA 14 on Xbox One and are unhappy that there is no next-gen version of PES 14 for a direct comparison.

Credits to derkrille for translation.

http://www.pcgames.de/Pro-Evolution-Soccer-2014-PC-256978/News/PES-2014-im-Hands-On-Test-auf-der-E3-2013-1074026/

PES 2014 – E3 Hands-On Impressions

While its clear there is a new engine underneath it all, there is still that familiar PES feel which fans will instantly appreciate. Player animations are greatly improved with subtle body movements with skilful players a dream to watch. In particular, Phillip Lahm stood out for me. The clever AI ensured that he made a break from Right Back to provide support and when I played an over-weighted pass to him, the ball slightly bobbled up with his first touch but was swiftly taken under control on his second as he injected some pace into his run. The speed here was something that stood out for me with the speed differences between players feeling more apparent than previous versions. There was also a greater feeling of acceleration and the M.A.S.S also stood out as I managed to skip passed an oncoming challenge while maintaining my balance and having the momentum of my initial run allowing me to power on through.

The physicality of the game is also greatly improved. With the right analogue stick, I was able to jostle more effectively for the ball. When defending, I was able to force smaller players off the ball just by shifting my weight. Wrong timing of this, such as shifting your weight into players while not overly close to the ball can result in you giving away free kicks which felt realistic, especially for the more blatant obstructions.

Trueball Tech was also a feature that impressed me. I had a player chase down a ball towards the corner flag as it was bouncing, he managed to get a first initial touch on it but it was clear the ball was a completely separate entity as I was unable to get the second touch in, with the ball getting away from my player and him sliding in vein to keep it in.

For fans of the series who had gripes with the keepers, there is a lot of very positive improvements in this department but first I’ll start with the negatives, which were minimal. In fact my only real issue with them was with the keeper-charge when the ball/opposition were outside the box. If you find yourself in a one-on-one situation with a striker and you are rushing out with your keeper, I felt the keeper didn’t quite know how to react, ie. he didn’t make a slide attempt but more-so just ran out to the striker and kind of stood infront of him.

In the demo I played, some of the stadium atmosphere was stripped down and didn’t feel as good as the trailer. When asked about this, I was told that the E3 hands-on demos are focussing on the the brand new movement of players and the engine, with the more aesthetic stuff being implemented in later iterations. The build we played was roughly 60% complete I was told.

At roughly 60%, this version of PES is showing all the signs of finishing this generation as the top footy game, providing some slight niggles regarding keepers outside the box are ironed out and refereeing decisions are slightly tweaks, which I’m told are continuously being worked on. We’re looking forward to getting our hands on the next iteration of this preview and we can’t wait to see what else Konami have in store for us. Is the King back? Right now its too early to tell, but if PES2014 continues along this route for the next few months, the throne’s current occupier shouldn’t make any long term plans…

BMhqa19CIAAtXxB.jpg:large

I won't be sucked to the pes cycle by rvy ever again.

Will wait for the demo.

I like fifa because is arcadeish and fun

Ed it: lighting sucks. Subpar fps in replays. The king is back

Garret

I've been buying yearly WE/PES since 2002, starting from the PSX. The last times I had a FIFA game were FIFA 94 (for SNES), FIFA 09 (for PS3, it was the only bundle I could get at that moment) and FIFA 13 (iOS version).

I've had all the PS3 versions of PES, and I think I've gotten tired of it. All my friends will stick to it, I guess, but licenses are way too important nowadays for Konami not to do more to try and get 'em all.

Konosuke

Whoa, PES actually looks great this year! I had lost my faith since they didn't show anything new during Konami's press conference. It looks very fluid. Can't wait for gamescom.

Hieberrr

Controls:

controls.jpg

O____O' Fuck man, these controls are getting more complex with every iteration (PES and FIFA). If only 1-2 passes were as easy as tapping the pass button and choosing the direction to pass ={

Any idea when the demo will drop?

rvy

Banned
O____O' Fuck man, these controls are getting more complex with every iteration (PES and FIFA). If only 1-2 passes were as easy as tapping the pass button and choosing the direction to pass ={

Any idea when the demo will drop?

Not yet, but probably not as soon as last year.

Blablurn

I want this game now. And I don't say it just because I love the extra Bayern treatment. The game just looks good and I want it now!

adelante

Seriously need to see more of this fucking game. I've never been so excited for a PES title since forever!! Konami typically releases demos of their games earlier than EA does with FIFA right?

rvy

Banned
Seriously need to see more of this fucking game. I've never been so excited for a PES title since forever!! Konami typically releases demos of their games earlier than EA does with FIFA right?

I think so, yeah. Not sure if we're getting 2 demos this year too, but I hope not. I want a demo of the final code and that's it.

PaulLFC

I've been buying yearly WE/PES since 2002, starting from the PSX. The last times I had a FIFA game were FIFA 94 (for SNES), FIFA 09 (for PS3, it was the only bundle I could get at that moment) and FIFA 13 (iOS version).

I've had all the PS3 versions of PES, and I think I've gotten tired of it. All my friends will stick to it, I guess, but licenses are way too important nowadays for Konami not to do more to try and get 'em all.
There are option files that fix that in a matter of minutes.

It's not like they can just go and buy up every licence and them being cheap is the reason they don't have everything - EA have exclusivity on the Premier League licence, so what are they supposed to do?

Top Bottom