• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Dinklage in Bungie's Destiny - That wizard came from the moon

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe I'm too used robotic filter noises for robot-esque characters but I think it would definitely help Dinklage sound more robotic. As it sounds now it just sounds like a bland line reading.

Blinding

Wait is that who the announcer is? Holy crap.

He's awesome on Game of Thrones, but one of my most standout impressions of the alpha was "wow, big step down from Halo announcer"

No, he's the Ghost you start out with, so pretty much your companion for the story similar to Cortana in Halo.

I think the biggest thing for me is that it seems like they toned down his accent, which is a really strange thing to do and may not even be the case.

Unstable

Dinklage is the voice of Ghost, which is the AI box that pops up to guide you. I expect AI not to have natural human inflection in it's speech. I think it's fine.
But he doesn't sound like an AI, He sounds like a bored Peter Dinklage reading his lines off a script.

Destiny |OT| That Wizard Is From The Moon

I haven't played Destiny so bear with me, but are people blaming him for sounding flat and robotic when he's playing a robot?
I just think it's bad decision to cast a robot voice without any personality. They've done it successfully in the past, so I find it weird that they chose to do it that way in Destiny. For lack of a better term, it's an ear sore.

linko9

I've only watched the GB quicklook, but I seriously thought it was placeholder. It's the most embarrassing performance I've ever heard in a recent big budget game, you couldn't do worse pulling some random voice actor from the bottom of the barrel. I have no idea who this guy is, maybe he's good in other stuff, maybe it was bad direction in this case, but it's hilariously bad. Someone at Bungie needed to step in at some point.

Majanew

Banned
Sounds like an emotionless robot companion so it sounds exactly as it should to me. What should he sound like? "Hey dawg, we gotta go kill dem Wizards and take der juice!"

HGStormy

Banned
I think the problem is he's being compared to both Tyrion, his character in Game of Thrones, and Cortana. Both of whom are much more human. I think the flatness is a deliberate, if unusual choice. Like others have mentioned, a slight vocorder effect would help with the style they're going for.

I think it could be okay if they explain it in the lore somehow. Like maybe Ghost is still learning how to mimic human inflection, or something like that. When I think about how I would want those lines delivered, I just imagine it being the same as how Cortana would say it, and I'm sure Bungie wanted to differentiate Ghost from her.

I also wonder if they wanted to put a voice filter on him but then got flak from someone for masking the fact that it's Peter Dinklage star of HBO's mega-hit Game of Thrones.

MilkBeard

Well, I just listened to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVKZ-YW3aLU

And...it is true. He is hilariously bad in this. Like, holy hell. The contrast of listening to him here and watching him on the show is unbelieveable.

Yeah the delivery sounds a little weak, but I think they need to add some post-processing to the voice to make it fit. It just kind of stands out like it's the main character's voice or something. They need to run it through some EQ and maybe some effect to give it a particular sound...and probably space the voice back a bit.

I think if they added those things it would sound a lot better.

neclas

BAD

Though, it seems more like he was directed to do it this way or that they gave him the lines without any context. Maybe it's relevant to the plot and his voice will change as you progress through the story?

maybe this is why they fired marty

Tookay

It's pretty terrible but I blame the script and direction. He plays a robot with dumb expository lines so what was he gonna do? Especially funny because Bungie did Guilty Spark, which is one of like 2 memorable characters from the hit HALO series of videogames TM

That's what's funny.

Guilty Spark is one of the few characters that has a personality in Halo and is the perfect model for this floating robot character, yet they went deliberately out of their way to avoid it.

Maybesew

He isn't the only famous actor they got. The guy that plays lieutenant Daniels from The Wire is in the game too.

I actually like what little we heard from Dinklage. People are saying it sounds phoned in, but I think he is just acting as directed as a floating cube robot assistant.

If they were going for a robotic AI sounding human, well... Paul Bettany as JARVIS blows him away. Something just sounds...off with his delivery.

Terrible performance so far.
I hope it's placeholder for now and it was just a read-through, but overall his delivery could not be any more uninspired. I'm not sure if I should blame him or the script though. I seriously hope his quality and enthusiasm improves for release.

Everyone saying he is bored sounding, or just phoning it in.

He plays a robot, perhaps they don't have emotions?

I think the performance is fine and fits well, just because he isn't the same character as Tyrian doesn't mean it isn't a good performance.

My point exactly. It's not as if Dinklage literally phoned in, recorded his dialogue as lazily as possible and Bungie just decided to roll with it. He sounds the way he does because that's what they wanted, and from what I've seen of the game it perfectly fits the character.

Zomba13

Dinklage is the voice of Ghost, which is the AI box that pops up to guide you. I expect AI not to have natural human inflection in it's speech. I think it's fine.

I think the thing is that he just sounds like a bored human rather than an unemotional machine. Give it a light filter or something to make it more clear it is the little robot buddy and not some guy on a headset and I think it'll be fine.

todd360

I still think it sounds passable. Everyone is making it out to be the worst voice over work ever done. Hire the op bungie. Let's see if he can do better.

That's what's funny.

Guilty Spark is one of the few characters that has a personality in Halo and is the perfect model for this floating robot character, yet they went deliberately out of their way to avoid it.

I had a theory they wanted to distance themselves from the guilty spark/cortana voices and the Halo series...

...I'm not a fan of the direction they've gone in

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
This.
He isn't supposed to be a Cortana type AI.
It's weird because it kinda seems like they wanted him to be a year ago. He's had sarcastic lines during the e3 2013 demo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBNdrJMwrkc#t=212
^ I just hope lines like the ones in this video make it into the final game. I'm not that bothered at all by his voice but I can definitely see why people would consider it bad.

I think the performance is fine and fits well, just because he isn't the same character as Tyrian doesn't mean it isn't a good performance.

It's not that.

Compare him to other robotic/AI voices and Peter simply sounds disinterested.

Example, C3P0 has a great synthetic voice. It sounds fake, yet emotional.

I don't know why people are claiming that he's supposed to be lifeless when he clearly has personality quirks based on his dialogue. Either his dialogue needs to be more robotic to match the performance, or the performance needs to be more animated to match the personality. At the moment he just sounds monotone during moments where he's supposed to be humorous or frightened.

Gestault

Except that the script demands that he have emotional responses and what amount to "gasp" moments fairly regularly. I just can't agree that this is an effective performance, and it has nothing to do with outward expectations (Game of Thrones isn't a series I follow, and I'm not familiar with his other work). It's much, much more likely it was the voice direction rather than his individual performance, but this is as close as I've ever heard to an objectively bad voice for a role and character in such an otherwise well-produced game. I think there are some good explanations for why on the first few pages of responses. This was mine.

I can see that they were going for that old sci-fi/mystic MMO voice with a lot of the cast, so I don't find fault in the voice itself (although their previous AI companions were infinitely more memorable). The dialog and audio mix is more of a problem. The voice doesn't sound like it's coming from the orb, and the lines themselves are very flat and basic, which contradicts the fact that this is a sci-fi AI.

Trickster

Overall based on all I've heard him say as the Ghost in Destiny, I think his voice acting is good. The lines where I don't like his VA seems to only be when the lines are straight up badly written.

I don't think his voice unfiltered would make good for an announcer.

There is a difference between voicing a character and an announcer/AI helper. Well, nothing can top Cortana in that regards anyway.

Bungie should add some filter to it, the current voice sounds way too Tyrion like.

Top Bottom