• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore interview about E3 : "winning E3 is overrated"

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Amir0x said:
Really, it IS about the games... but I think there's just too much new shit to show from Sony and Nintendo to "win."

And as he says, "winning" will only do so much. That said, Wii will win E3.

Really ? The nintendo name doesnt affect me anymore so they are going to have do do something very special to interest me again. I aint normal though right ?

Xiph

Chris Michael said:
:lol These Microsoft guys never cease to entertain.
True, true.

It does sound a bit funny though. I wonder what they are thinking with?

Screw mr Moore, they should get Steve Ballmer. They need someone to counter attack Reggie, who, by the way, probably will kick a lot of ass this year too.

Jeff-DSA

9275f47f.jpg

Winning E3 is overrated; I won it at Sega in 1999 and 2000 with Dreamcast and see where that got me.

Rhetoric. While those two E3s would not of changed the fate of the Dreamcast, they still helped it and the outcome of winning was still beneficial.

Additionally and more importantly, it's a different landscape now. E3 becomes more important every year as gaming expands into television, and gaming 'news & hype' grows in business importance.

Lastly, even if it is overrated (to general business and mainstream success), you do -not- tell that to the that people that to rate it highly, the internet community, on the eve of the actual event.

It's like a coach telling his team that it's OK if they suck this game. Most people may not care but what a confidence killer for the players and the loyal fans.

Amir0x

Banned
Ryudo said:
Really ? The nintendo name doesnt affect me anymore so they are going to have do do something very special to interest me again. I aint normal though right ?

I think something special will happen for all!

Bebpo said:
Wii will win world war w[w]ii?

:lol

No doubt it's pre-emptive damage control, but this guy makes me laugh.

Be warned kids, if you go around winning E3's you will only end up cleaning up after Microsoft. Stay in school; don't win E3.

In one way, this seems like pre-emptive PR damage control, knowing that Sony/Nintendo have more secrets most likely to show and wow the crowds with.

On the other hand ... E3 is almost like for "hyper hardcore" people .... people who are even beyond just "hardcore" gamers.

What I mean by that is, the people on GAF are "hyper hardcore" ... because if you know things like who Hideo Kojima is or Shinji Mikami is or that Nvidia is designing the GPU for the PS3 or that the XBox 360 only sells 1500/units a week in Japan .... you're hyper hardcore.

I have friends who play a lot more games than I do, and thus would be "hardcore" gamers, but don't know any of that stuff.

So from that P.O.V., E3 is overblown by the "hyper-hardcore" types ... because really they're not even 0.5% of the market.

Remember E3 2001 when everyone nut themselves over the MGS2 trailer? No one paid any attention to GTA3, and that turned out to be the much more important game in term's of market impact.

Nozi

Banned
soundwave05 said:
On the other hand ... E3 is almost like for "hyper hardcore" people .... people who are even beyond just "hardcore" gamers.

E3 is 95% about buyers, stores and distribution.

Nozi said:
E3 is 95% about buyers, stores and distribution.

I'm saying the way E3 is hyped up by people on gaming message boards ... "winning E3" really doesn't make any market difference.

For a lot of the business suits/retailers that attend, they don't give a shit about Hideo Kojima or Shigeru Miyamoto (probably can't even pronunce either of their names), E3 is just a fun excuse to come down to L.A., hit up some clubs/afterparties, get wined and dined, and oogle some booth babes.

Infact many of the biggest hits ... Grand Theft Auto 3, GoldenEye, Halo, Pokemon, often usually have ho-hum or very non-chalant E3 showings.

E3 is kind of a world in and of itself.

Ramirez

Rabid fanboys all over this! :lol

If the 2 minute Halo 3 trailer is true,MS's showing can't be that bad...for me anyways ;)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
J2 Cool said:
talk about throwing the white flag before the battle..

And wouldn't you think with his job title, that he would be the first one NOT to say something like this?

-Damien-

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Either pre-emptive damage control or he's setting us up. I suspect a bit of both.

Either way, he shouldn't be saying that as the head honcho of xbox

1. He lowered the expectation, so he could surprise us? talk about lowering the standard
2. His words speak how he has no confidence in his marketing team at E3
3. If you have confidence in your product, you would expect to win at all fronts, no matter where.

Nozi

Banned
soundwave05 said:
I'm saying the way E3 is hyped up by people on gaming message boards ... "winning E3" really doesn't make any market difference.

For a lot of the business suits/retailers that attend, they don't give a shit about Hideo Kojima or Shigeru Miyamoto (probably can't even pronunce either of their names), E3 is just a fun excuse to come down to L.A., hit up some clubs/afterparties, get wined and dined, and oogle some booth babes.

Infact many of the biggest hits ... Grand Theft Auto 3, GoldenEye, Halo, Pokemon, often usually have ho-hum or very non-chalant E3 showings.

E3 is kind of a world in and of itself.

Yep, agreed. What Peter Moore said is true.. I mean, a lot of companies specifically avoid announcements at e3 because they can make more impact when there aren't 1000 new games all vying for attention in the press.

Krowley

the only way e3 effects regular gamers a little bit is through the magazine releases following the show. Like if EGM is blown away by the revolution at e3, and they give it bigger coverage in the mag for a little while, that can be usefull marketing.

Other than that, it's pretty unimportant, but that's nothing to sneeze at. It's a chance to sway the media in your favor on the editorial content.

I know that back when i was just a regular gamer, and not as hardcore as i am now, i used to wait for the E3 versions of EGM with a lot of excitement.

llTll

Banned
man this guy is full of $#$%

winning E3 is overrated?

going out from the biggest show of video game is overrated?

god MS is so dump for hiring him.

i really feel sorry for the guy, he is an idiot

Rocked

You know, he could be trying to bamboozle us. Get our expectations low then pull something special out of the bag. Kind of like Nintendo did when we were expecting a dull E3 and they pulled the realistic Zelda out and DS turned out to be a lot cooler than we were thought it would be.

I agree that they can't 'win' though. New hardware is always more interesting.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Rocked said:
You know, he could be trying to bamboozle us. Get our expectations low then pull something special out of the bag. Kind of like Nintendo did when we were expecting a dull E3 and they pulled the realistic Zelda out and DS turned out to be a lot cooler than we were thought it would be.

But why lower the standards? And what if they did win? He already said it doesn't matter so they couldn't use it for ammo.

mckmas8808 said:
But why lower the standards? And what if they did win? He already said it doesn't matter so they couldn't use it for ammo.

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure it will matter if they win. Selective memory/rephrasing 4tw. :D

FightyF

Banned
I could have his job, I would do a much better job.

I'd push Sony's and Nintendo's buttons so bad, they'd get all riled up and I'd take them off their game. I could have Reggie in tears and have Kutaragi on his knees begging for me to hold back.

And then I'd go after MS as well, making Allard hide in a DS playbooth for the entire E3...but still, in the end MS would look better.

Kittonwy

Banned
-Damien- said:
Either way, he shouldn't be saying that as the head honcho of xbox

1. He lowered the expectation, so he could surprise us? talk about lowering the standard
2. His words speak how he has no confidence in his marketing team at E3
3. If you have confidence in your product, you would expect to win at all fronts, no matter where.

It's kind of strange coming from the same guy who said "solid if not spectacular" about xbox360 in Japan.
bunny.gif

mj1108

Kittonwy said:
It's kind of strange coming from the same guy who said "solid if not spectacular" about xbox360 in Japan.
bunny.gif

This is why Peter Moore threads have become nothing but a great source of comedy.

Acosta

God, sometimes he seems a rookie when he has been in this industry for generations...

Of course he is mostly right, but this is the material for comedy that use the "hardcore consumer" that, by the way, is the one that matters more at E3.

If you say that before the event you know what are you going to get.

FightyF

Banned
Gaijin To Ronin said:
God, sometimes he seems a rookie when he has been in this industry for generations...

Of course he is mostly right, but this is the material for comedy that use the "hardcore consumer" that, by the way, is the one that matters more at E3.

If you say that before the event you know what are you going to get.

Yeah, I was thinking the same (as in, "he has a point"), but he didn't articulate it very well.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't be good for the job because I have the exact same problem. :p

It's one thing to have a good product and a great show, but to "win" E3 is to convince others (media/public) that you had the best product. And to do that you have to start with yourself.

Secondly, there are so many different audiences out there, you could win it with the casual and piss off the hardcore, or vice-versa.

wazoo

Why are people overreacting over this ??

because saying "E3 does not matter" is exactly the same as "hardcore gamers do not matter" which is the truth

Anyway, as a PR guy, this is pretty much a stupid thing to tell today.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
wazoo said:
Anyway, as a PR guy, this is pretty much a stupid thing to tell today.

Which is why people are reacting the way they are. What he said is something you pretty much say after the fact. Which leads to the conpiracy theory that hes deflating expactations to then switch gears and BLOW US THE FUCK AWAY!

Top Bottom