• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore says farewell to the gaming industry

I couldn't stand him when I was younger and his aggressive sales pitches during his time at Sega and Microsoft, but I've certainly grown to like him as I got older to the point where I even admire his hustle.

Wish him the best of luck at Liverpool. Hoping for great things from the coming seasons with him in charge there.

Best wishes.

On some level, I can appreciate that he's had a big impact behind the scenes, some good some bad. I can't say I've ever been fond of him though. I never got over him selling out the US Dreamcast audience to Microsoft with the whole Shenmue II US exclusivity deal.

21b.jpg

(Trigger warning to Peter More fans)

Sorry, I know this man is a saint to some, but like others have pointed out, he's the epitome of what was (and still is) wrong with the video game industry. EA's current culture of acquiring, consuming, and then ultimately destroying companies and IPs (e.g. Bullfrog, Maxis, currently BioWare) all happened under his watch.

Yes he has some skins on his wall, and he's done a bit of good, but I'd suggest he's influenced the industry in a significantly more negative manner than his good could ever hope to balance.

He was head of EA Sports, was he not?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Why was I hoping this would be a Mega 64 video?

giphy.gif

The king of spin, prince of liars. Nobody toes the company line harder in the face of controversy then Peter Moore. He's the epitome of everything wrong with the corporate side of this industry.

lol - never get into business my friend.

What different do you expect from a corporate exec? I give no two bits about Moore, but any 'noble' examples you have to show us?

exactement.

on topic - always liked Peter Moore, wish him nothing but success and appreciate his contributions to this industry [especially his time at Xbox].

never liked his move to EA, but a job is a job, glad he's ditched them - amazed he just transitioned into football like it's nbd, what a dude.

Microsoft would have gotten nowhere with Xbox if it wasn't for Moore. He's earned enough positive rep to outweigh the negative.

MS should have really opened up the moneybags to keep him before Mattrick. Things would be looking much different (in a good way) right now.

Seems like some people hating on Peter for no reason.

I've got a lot of respect for him and I think he contributed positively to the games industry far more than negatively.

He's always been entertaining and is an expert salesman. The IGN long form interview with him is excellent.

Seems like some people hating on Peter for no reason.

I've got a lot of respect for him and I think he contributed positively to the games industry far more than negatively.

He's always been entertaining and is an expert salesman. The IGN long form interview with him is excellent.

automatically hating / disrespecting any symbol of business [especially big business / corporate business] is like... the fucking modern american way.

[really irks me]

Pyrrhus

Still can't forgive him his role in drawing and quartering Sega. He seemed way too eager to carve off a big piece for Microsoft just before he jumped ship for that company.

jelly

Loved listening and reading his interviews. He is a suit but a good guy. He tells a good story and isn't afraid to tell it which is great to see behind the curtain of the industry. Yeah, things break was full suit moment and not good but it's the job. Thanks for the insight and hype Peter. Good luck in football, top 4 isn't happening every year in that league!

poodaddy

Always seemed like a nice guy to me. People ITT mad at a business man for making business decisions and knowing how to handle PR.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
True story: I was doing photography for an interview with Peter back in the early Xbox days while someone else ran the interview. I introduced myself, because that what's sane humans do.

Four years later, I ran into him in Tokyo. HE REMEMBERED MY NAME.

Bet something that simple goes a long way towards being successful in the business world.

I'll miss Peter being in the industry. I grew up enjoying his presentations at E3 press conferences, and just thought it was super cool when I started working at EA and held the door open for the guy one day. He brought some nice levity to the exec team - his replies to emails mistakenly sent company wide are the stuff of legend. Wish him the best of luck; it seems like he's truly living the dream going to run a sports franchise that he loves.

El_Chino

Man there's some serious back and forth in this thread about if he was a decent guy for the industry or not lol.

I'll always remember him for the Tattoo reveals, truly epic in its time. I'll never forget it.

Good luck Peter.

AAK

21b.jpg

(Trigger warning to Peter More fans)

Sorry, I know this man is a saint to some, but like others have pointed out, he's the epitome of what was (and still is) wrong with the video game industry. EA's current culture of acquiring, consuming, and then ultimately destroying companies and IPs (e.g. Bullfrog, Maxis, currently BioWare) all happened under his watch.

Yes he has some skins on his wall, and he's done a bit of good, but I'd suggest he's influenced the industry in a significantly more negative manner than his good could ever hope to balance.

LOL, if you think Peter Moore is bad, then I can't wait to see what you think of Shuhei Yoshida: The developer graveyard under his watch is much worse than Peter Moore's. off the top of my head:

Darkside team from SSM
Every team minus baseball team from Sony San Diego
Team that did PSABR
Team that did the VR stuff from Sony London
Studio behind Wipeout
Studio behind Socom/MAG
Studio behind Rigs/Killzone Mercenary
Studio behind Warhawk/Starhawk
Studio behind Driveclub/Motorstorm

nikeboy94

Damn man, i wish him the best of luck at Liverpool. I would never have thought in a million years that Peter Moore could go from the gaming inudstry to a football club.

Top Bottom