• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore says farewell to the gaming industry

Dremark

Banned
21b.jpg

(Trigger warning to Peter More fans)

Sorry, I know this man is a saint to some, but like others have pointed out, he's the epitome of what was (and still is) wrong with the video game industry. EA's current culture of acquiring, consuming, and then ultimately destroying companies and IPs (e.g. Bullfrog, Maxis, currently BioWare) all happened under his watch.

Yes he has some skins on his wall, and he's done a bit of good, but I'd suggest he's influenced the industry in a significantly more negative manner than his good could ever hope to balance.

I'm not a fan of Peter Moore either but the consume culture there long predated Moore and I can't think of any studios off hand they took in during his time.

I'm not a fan of the guy but he doesn't deserve blame he hasn't earned and unless I'm overlooking something this stuff largely is not his fault

Dremark

Banned
He was head of Xbox from 03-07 when they were crushing it with Halo 2 + the first few years of 360 titles. When he left things started to slide and we got the Kinect and Xbox One.

Not sure why some people hate him.

Personally, I don't like the way his personality comes off when he's promoting things and I dislike the transaction he pushed in the industry.

Buying timed exclusives and marketing them as "only on Xbox" or doing coop ads which didn't mention the other platforms in my opinion is dishonest. The Xbox 360 I feel is an overall negative as well as far as influence goes. It used off the shelf parts for the console and made that the trend rather than specialized hardware.

This isn't to say I don't think he had value. He was a very strong understanding of the market and how trends go and in every role I've seen him in he was successful (Except for Sega, but that was clearly not his fault). The guy also knows when to leave and I think he deserves to be recognized for that. I honestly feel like EA will slump without him, not so much because they need him, but I think if he's out the door he's leaving for good reasons.

Anyway having said that I don't hate the guy, if nothing else he tells some great stories like the security agent not having to check ID because he knew he was the a-hole who gave Microsoft Shenmue, lol.

jelly

What, Timed exclusives started with Xbox 360. no. Did Microsoft put in the effort to get PC games on 360, sure did and that helped franchises immensely, Bioshock, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls etc.Microsoft was like that on the original Xbox as well. Did PS3 being a mess help, no doubt. 360 wasn't off the shelf parts. Micro transactions, DLC, exclusive marketing, yeah that gained a lot of steam on Xbox but probably inevitable with hard drives and online marketplaces and being a gorilla to go against the other gorilla. The PS4 is basically doing a 360, right or wrongly, it works well.

TwiztidElf

If you're reading this Peter. Thank you so much for all the memories.

As a Sega fanboy that took refuge on the og xbox lifeboat, I'm a huge fan. You are without question the best video game industry exec and you will be missed.
You were part of the og xbox exec dream team with J, Ed and Robbie. And I'm sure that all four of you are ashamed of the sad shambles of a corporate-by-committee mess the great brand you guys created has become.

Dremark

Banned
What, Timed exclusives started with Xbox 360. no.

It started it as a trend. There were very few games on earlier platforms that did that, but on the 360 it was a normal tactic.

Not that I have that much of an issue with buying exclusives or making them timed but advertising it like it's either not on the other platforms or won't be is pretty dishonest.

More chance of going back to Sega and getting a Dreamcast 2 to number 1 in sales than he has of overseeing Liverpool to a Premier League title.

Nestunt

I will miss him in this industry I love so much. Personally, as I walk towards a career in business myself, I will always look up to him as an inspiration.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So much salt in this thread haha.

I didn't think people liked the dude but he didn't do a bad job at microsoft. Hope he does well, and if not, maybe there is a job for him with the Red Sox.

Feorax

DerZuhälter;233965259 said:
Man people will be disappointed in Liverpool once he raises his t-shirt sleeve and they read "Oxlade-Chamberlain"

I've lived through the signings of Paul Konchesky and Joe Cole. Nothing can disappoint me anymore.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
He was definitely one of the more entertaining of all the 'suits' in the industry. He gave it a good try with the DC and I'll never forget him for that. Wasn't really into what he was doing at EA or MS, but still, godspeed to him.

21b.jpg

(Trigger warning to Peter More fans)

Sorry, I know this man is a saint to some, but like others have pointed out, he's the epitome of what was (and still is) wrong with the video game industry. EA's current culture of acquiring, consuming, and then ultimately destroying companies and IPs (e.g. Bullfrog, Maxis, currently BioWare) all happened under his watch.

Yes he has some skins on his wall, and he's done a bit of good, but I'd suggest he's influenced the industry in a significantly more negative manner than his good could ever hope to balance.

???

I don't know if I would call myself a peter moore fan, but I've always enjoyed the guy. He made following Xbox very entertaining with his carisma, hype and enthusiasm and I remember him fondly. He had nothing to do with any of those deals, but leaving that aside; EA is just a symptom of capitalism, not the cause. They are succesful at selling games a lot of people want. If EA games didn't sell, they'd be motivated to change because they are a large company that has a culture that just responds to that, and through that, takes safe bets in whatever they do.
The epitome of what is wrong with the gaming industry is first and foremost related to racism, sexism, lack of diversity, echo chambers, and employee work culture. EA certainly has a hand in all of this, but they are a symptom, not a cause.

Dremark

Banned
Fake fucking news.
Bullfrog were acquired by EA in 1995 and closed while Moore was still with fucking SEGA.

I don't think I could quite say the culture went away under his watch but it was probably the least imperialistic time for EA while Moore was the head. At the very least since it became established as a major player.

JMTHEFOX

I know that he is very controversial in the gaming industry but he at least still seemed like a cool guy.

Best of luck to him at Liverpool!

Rbk_3

I kept seeing this thread title the passed few days and thought to myself, Peter Moore isn't in the gaming industry. I finally clicked in today and realized I was confusing him with Michael Moore.

Dremark

Banned
I have always wondered if this man did any good to Sega.

I don't know exactly when he started so I'm not sure exactly what happened under his watch. I know the Saturn launch was not him and the DC was. Obviously the DC launch wasn't strong enough to save it but it went about as well as it really could have.

I'd put that as one of the larger feathers in his hat from what I know about him.

Top Bottom