• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter Moore says farewell to the gaming industry

Strike

PEETAH! One the more memorable personalities we've had in this industry, whether at Sega, EA, or Microsoft. Wasn't my favorite, but certainly more personable than guys like Dan Mattrick ever were. I wish him good luck in his future endeavors.

giphy.gif

The king of spin, prince of liars. Nobody toes the company line harder in the face of controversy then Peter Moore. He's the epitome of everything wrong with the corporate side of this industry.

Wasn't he in charge of Sega before they went 3rd party?

Was one of the lucky ones who get to meet him and talk to him few 10 min.
One of my favorite people to talk to I ever met in the industry :D

Good speed and good luck Peter, I wish you lots of fun and best of luck.
The industry will miss you very much.

jts

...hate me...
Jokes when he shows up at a presser and rolls up his sleeve to reveal "Wayne Rooney" tattooed on his arm.

Audioboxer

Damn man, i wish him the best of luck at Liverpool. I would never have thought in a million years that Peter Moore could go from the gaming inudstry to a football club.

He's going to make bank at Liverpool.

Absolutely insane amounts of money in football these days.

He was head of Xbox from 03-07 when they were crushing it with Halo 2 + the first few years of 360 titles. When he left things started to slide and we got the Kinect and Xbox One.

Not sure why some people hate him.

Peter seemed like a good guy and I always like him. The GTA IV tattoo reveal was bonkers. Charismatic and enthusiastic exec. Good luck at Liverpool Peter. I wished you the best.

JMY86

I always loved Peter, he is a class act through and through. I wish him nothing but the best in this next chapter...

daTRUballin

I've always wondered who is in control of that account? That's like the best Twitter account ever lol

He was head of Xbox from 03-07 when they were crushing it with Halo 2 + the first few years of 360 titles. When he left things started to slide and we got the Kinect and Xbox One.

Not sure why some people hate him.

He was actually head of Xbox from 2005 to 2007, and only became the head in late 2005 when the 360 was first released. He was in charge of marketing for the two years prior. Not that it makes that big of a difference, but still.

PlayStation‏ @PlayStation
Replying to @PeterMooreLFC

We'll miss you Peter! Don't be a stranger ⚽️
----------------------------------
Peter Moore‏ @PeterMooreLFC 25m

Peter Moore Retweeted PlayStation

Thanks!! I'll enjoy seeing the @PlayStation sideline advertising boards when we are playing in Champions League next season!!!

Don't fucking jinx this Peter...

Marvel

could never
I live in Liverpool and didn't know he was taking over the club, shows what I know about football lmao. Congrats on the impressive career, best of luck to you Peter.

Schlorgan

EA's current culture of acquiring, consuming, and then ultimately destroying companies and IPs (e.g. Bullfrog, Maxis, currently BioWare) all happened under his watch.

You know that he didn't get there until 2008, after which their only big acquisition was PopCap, correct? He wasn't even in a lead position at the company until 2011. Before that he was only over EA Sports. Bullfrog was acquired in 1995 and closed in 2001, Maxis was acquired in 1997.

You sound like a crazy person.

PetrCobra

I remember how much promise this guy brought with him to Sega back in the Dreamcast days. Too bad he couldn't quite deliver, but back then, when he talked about how you won't be able to get away from seeing the console's name everywhere, people like me actually believed that Sega's fortune might turn around. Wish he had more money to actually try and do what he had in mind.

Porcile

In what kind of bizarro world are we living in where we lament the loss of Peter Moore in the game industry? Dude was just another awful corporate bum wiper.

In what kind of bizarro world are we living in where we lament the loss of Peter Moore in the game industry? Dude was just another awful corporate bum wiper.

Alrighty then...

God Bless You Peter, thank you for your passion in bringing the Dreamcast to us all.

Cranster

Banned
Geez, there is alot of blind hate here for someone who not only was a legend in the industry but also helped push it to mainstream pop culture. Let alone he stood up to Sega of Japan's idiocy.

requiem02

Banned
Farewell to a titan of the industry. I'd love to wish him well but seeing as how he isn't going to Chelsea I just can't do it!

Wheatly

Ah you put it in eloquent words that I could not

Geez, there is alot of blind hate here for someone who not only was a legend in the industry but also helped push it to mainstream pop culture. Let alone he stood up to Sega of Japan's idiocy.

No matter how much you guys treat him as a hero for doing that - the company still went to shit. I doubt his hands are clean from the downfall.

Cranster

Banned
Ah you put it in eloquent words that I could not

No matter how much you guys treat him as a hero for doing that - the company still went to shit. I doubt his hands are clean from the downfall.

His hands are clean of it, it's why he left Sega.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/peter-moore-talks-leaving-electronic-arts-for-liverpool-fc-w475540

Read this specifically...

We did a focus group here in San Francisco, I'm trying to think what year this would be, probably late 2001, early 2002, because I needed to prove to the Japanese that our brand was starting just to fade away. And so we asked the focus group, a bunch of 18-, 19-year-olds, a classic question, 'If a video game publisher was a relative or a friend, who would they be?' Ah, EA. Arrogant quarterback, 6'5", walks in, gets the girl, nobody likes him, blah blah blah, but, you know, fills the room with his big personality, all that. I can hear it now. Rockstar. Ah – that's your drunken uncle that shows up from Vegas once a month with a hooker on his arm and looking for money and then he's gone again. He comes in and he's the life of the party for a little while, and then he disappears for a long time. Sega. Yeah, that's your grandad. Used to be cool, but even he can't remember why anymore.

Oh dear.
We filmed all of these, right? I packaged this up, and I said, 'This is our our manifesto for the future.' So we make a huge presentation in Japan, and I said, 'We need to be incredibly aware of the challenges we face as a brand at Sega,' you know, and so I play the video. Yuji Naka, Naka-san, maker of Sonic, is in the room. Now, he and I have a love/hate relationship on a good day. And we show him this, and it's subtitled in Japanese, and when it comes to that piece he just [slams his hand on the table], 'This is ridiculous. You have made them say this. Sega is the great brand, nobody would ever say this, you have falsified!' He just gets in my face. So I said to the translator, 'Tell him to fuck off.' And the poor guy looks at me and says, 'There's no expression in Japanese.' I said, 'I know there is.' And that was it. That was the last time I ever set foot in there.

I rarely get upset, but to be accused of doctoring a video, because there's none so blind as those who will not see, right? I loved Sega, still love Sega, but it was dominated by the developers to the extent where Sega as a company couldn't move if Nakagawa-san, Yu Suzuki, Iguchi weren't into it. The world was changing around them, and we were desperate. I said that we've got to get content that is mature. It's ironic to me that one of their best-selling games, subsequent to all of that, is now Yakuza.

Wheatly

His hands are clean of it, it's why he left Sega.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/peter-moore-talks-leaving-electronic-arts-for-liverpool-fc-w475540

Read this specifically...

1. Moore's own recounting of why he booked it from Sega is a small piece of the puzzle
2. He was in a high up leadership role within Sega. Even if you have dumb colleagues - it's your job to convince them with the goal of turning things around. You don't just blame them and allow the ship to sink. Hands not clean.

Cranster

Banned
1. Moore's own recounting of why he booked it from Sega is a small piece of the puzzle
Considering Sega isn't contradicting his recent statements I think it's safe to say he is telling the facts.

2. He was in a high up leadership role within Sega. Even if you have dumb colleagues - it's your job to convince them with the goal of turning things around. You don't just blame them and allow the ship to sink. Hands not clean.
If you get a better offer elsewhere and your dumb colleagues keep drinking their own koolaid then your damn right you jump ship. No sense in letting idiots who can't run a competent business bring you down with them. Sega were completely arrogant and they reaped what they sown. The event that was Halo 2's launch and the success of the Xbox 360 is proof enough he made the right choice and in the end he is now landing his dream job.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down

you make it sound like he was there a week then gave up

As an Everton supporter and a video game fan in general I cannot overstate how happy this makes me.

Just kidding, I love Peter. Did an interview with him once and he was delightful. He must be the happiest guy in the world to take on that job - a dream come true. Congrats Mr. Moore!

soultron

Banned
I saw him in the lobby of EA Burnaby one time and was tempted to ask to see the Halo tattoo.

Always seemed like a fun guy. Wish him the best.

IrishNinja

as a classic sega fan: he really gave it the spartan try with the dreamcast, and i respect him for that. did wonders for the xbox brand too. godspeed.

jts

...hate me...
Man, remember when Peter Moore got José Mourinho on stage at E3 and Mou was a total tit? :lol

Daffy Duck

I live in Liverpool and didn't know he was taking over the club, shows what I know about football lmao. Congrats on the impressive career, best of luck to you Peter.

Lol, he isn't taking over the club at all.

He's becoming the Chief Executive.

Top Bottom