• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peter W. Smith, GOP Operative who sought Clinton emails, commits suicide

sangreal

"commits suicide"

except he has been dead for months. He was dead before the article about him was ever published. It was even mentioned at the time. Maybe he committed suicide back then, but the implication being made here is bullshit

A bag on the head attached to helium.....

This could be a real suicide as people up in age will do that. But that is just a little suspect, right?

I dunno. My first thought about that was that some people kill themselves by parking their running car in the garage and letting the exhaust fumes do the work. If you wanted a similar sort of peaceful death, and didn't have access to a private garage, this idea wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I'm willing to take this story at face value, yeah. No reason to expect foul play at this point. I'll let the experts take care of theorizing and investigating.

Condolences to his family.

A bag on the head attached to helium.....

This could be a real suicide as people up in age will do that. But that is just a little suspect, right?

I was listening to a Criminal episode where they interviewed an exit guide, and apparently a hood attached to a tank of some inert gas is the suggested standard for suicide.

KingV

I dunno. My first thought about that was that some people kill themselves by parking their running car in the garage and letting the exhaust fumes do the work. If you wanted a similar sort of peaceful death, and didn't have access to a private garage, this idea wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

I'm willing to take this story at face value, yeah. No reason to expect foul play at this point. I'll let the experts take care of theorizing and investigating.

Condolences to his family.

Afaik, helium is an inert gas, and does not provide any depressive effect. Carbon monoxide poisoning works because it knocks you out before it kills you.

Trying to do the same thing would likely provoke a fight or flight response. IMO, it's probably difficult to overcome your basic instincts to kill yourself that way. Just like it's hard to force yourself to drown.

Edit: apparently my backseat guesses were incorrect.

sangreal

Afaik, helium is an inert gas, and does not provide any depressive effect. Carbon monoxide poisoning works because it knocks you out before it kills you.

Trying to do the same thing would likely provoke a fight or flight response. IMO, it's probably difficult to overcome your basic instincts to kill yourself that way. Just like it's hard to force yourself to drown.

Helium is an exceptionally common means for people into planned death. Look around the internet and you'll find people desperately searching for 100% helium because most balloon tanks are only 80% or something these days

Nerokis

"commits suicide"

except he has been dead for months. He was dead before the article about him was ever published. It was even mentioned at the time. Maybe he committed suicide back then, but the implication being made here is bullshit

Wait, what?

This article isn't reporting his death. It's reporting that it was a suicide.

KingV

Helium is an exceptionally common means for people into planned death. Look around the internet and you'll find people desperately searching for 100% helium because most balloon tanks are only 80% or something these days

Huh, I didn't know that.

Edit: I'm also hope his family doesn't get a dime from insurance. Nothing of value was lost here.

sangreal

Wait, what?

This article isn't reporting his death. It's reporting that it was a suicide.

I'm talking about the OP not the article

"Peter W. Smith, GOP Operative who sought Clinton emails, commits suicide"

Compare that to the actual title

"Peter W. Smith, GOP operative who sought Clinton's emails from Russian hackers, committed suicide"

Even if in jest, we do not need our own Seth Rich conspiracy. The article is very detailed about the suicide and it seems to be completely unrelated to his dirt-digging and instead centred on his ill-health.

It's not really conspiracy theory when multiple people who were not convenient for Putin die murdered or in accident.

And I'm not even talking about America but about cases in Europe in last few years.

I have a license to sell life insurance.

image.php

How could I not?

Huh, very interesting. Thanks for the info.

sangreal

Depends on the policy. Mine still pays out if it's suicide. Reason I wanted it is I didn't wanna die under questionable circumstances then they try not to pay out.

Yeah, from my understanding a lot of them pay out for suicide after a lengthy waiting period. That's how mine works at least

Fergie

Banned
"commits suicide"

c7606ee02dcfd1ca3e5dea74dbb674f0_100_100.png

Nerokis

I'm talking about the OP not the article

"Peter W. Smith, GOP Operative who sought Clinton emails, commits suicide"

Compare that to the actual title

"Peter W. Smith, GOP operative who sought Clinton's emails from Russian hackers, committed suicide"

Oh, okay. I can see how that would be misleading, but I'm not sure that the precise timing of his suicide (May 14th vs. within the past week or so) changes the context enough to really have any misleading implications.

mclem

"NO FOUL PLAY WHATSOEVER" is a weird thing to write on your suicide note...

Thinking about it, I'm really not sure it is; I could understand wanting to go quietly while causing a bare minimum of trouble, and thinking that making it very clear on your note that it was a willing action would make the police's life easier in that regard.

I'm not sure it actually would make the police's life easier, mind, but I can understand thinking it would and that giving you peace of mind.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Even if in jest, we do not need our own Seth Rich conspiracy. The article is very detailed about the suicide and it seems to be completely unrelated to his dirt-digging and instead centred on his ill-health.

The Seth Rich conspiracy theory is just bizarre. It depends entirely on Russia not hacking e-mails, which is lol.

5 million dollars at stake. Why would you believe it's a "fishy" death? Dude was 81. Had a heart condition. Made his family 5 mil before he died. Seems pretty open and shut.

Thinking about it, I'm really not sure it is; I could understand wanting to go quietly while causing a bare minimum of trouble, and thinking that making it very clear on your note that it was a willing action would make the police's life easier in that regard.

I'm not sure it actually would make the police's life easier, mind, but I can understand thinking it would and that giving you peace of mind.

Sure but it also feels like a really blatant thing someone killing him would write. It's weird because this totally works both ways - it would make perfect sense for him to really write that given the business he was involved in, but it would also make sense for someone offing him to write that to make it look like it was self-inflicted.

I mean it's because of the legitimacy that it has in the first place, that the conspiracy angle can even stand up. Cause that seems like a really incriminating thing to write on someone you just murdered, but because it makes so much sense for him to actually write it, it's not as hard to believe it's innocent.

I don't know if I'm making sense

Makonero

Sure but it also feels like a really blatant thing someone killing him would write. It's weird because this totally works both ways - it would make perfect sense for him to really write that given the business he was involved in, but it would also make sense for someone offing him to write that to make it look like it was self-inflicted.

I mean it's because of the legitimacy that it has in the first place, that the conspiracy angle can even stand up. Cause that seems like a really incriminating thing to write on someone you just murdered, but because it makes so much sense for him to actually write it, it's not as hard to believe it's innocent.

I don't know if I'm making sense
Yeah it's easy to see that writing that doesn't make it any easier to believe. If he hadn't written it, it would be just as suspicious.

Saganator

This method of suicide I've read is the most painless and least messy way to go. People who choose it usually do so out of consideration for the person/people who find the body. Not sure if it's still around (don't want to look), there is a guy who blogged about the method and even told people how to do it, and eventually carried it out on himself.

Top Bottom