• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Petition to release Trump's tax returns currently second most popular federal webpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoulUnison

Banned
I was under the impression that there was a point in this whole process where he literally couldn't hold them back anymore?
Like, once he's actually, officially the sitting President don't these become subject to FOIA requests or simply public record, or something?

I feel like the tax return thing is going to be a ruse, they will release them through wikileaks and there won't be anything severely damaging in them and they will use it as a tool to win trust from those on the fence.

I feel like the tax return thing is going to be a ruse, they will release them through wikileaks and there won't be anything severely damaging in them and they will use it as a tool to win trust from those on the fence.

This sounds like that revered 12th-dimensional chess again.

I think it's much simpler. They've concluded that taking the heat for resisting disclosure of his financials is far less damaging than the information that can be gleaned from them.

Not releasing them was a gamble all throughout the past election, despite his win. If they truly were benign and he wanted to win people over through a ruse he would have still likely released them during a time when his campaign was struggling during this past election.

watershed

Banned
Not at all. He has a lot he wants to hide and he is not legally required to publicly release his tax returns so he won't.

Ottaro

I love that the petition has 250,000+ signatures.

By Trump administration standards that makes it 1.5 million signatures.

Another hopeless venture, at least people aren't getting conned out of their money this time like the Jill Stein recount scam.

I was under the impression that there was a point in this whole process where he literally couldn't hold them back anymore?
Like, once he's actually, officially the sitting President don't these become subject to FOIA requests or simply public record, or something?

How could you get private tax returns through FOIA? Think about that.

Another hopeless venture, at least people aren't getting conned out of their money this time like the Jill Stein recount scam.

How could you get private tax returns through FOIA? Think about that.

The courts have ruled that an individual's private documents might be subject to FOIA requests if they 1) belong to a government employee and 2) sufficiently represent "what the government is up to" - so given the circumstances, it's not an impossible avenue of inquiry. It just needs to be framed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom