• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGA Tour 2016 |OT| Tour Wars: Revenge Of The Spieth

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

landscape-1436983286-spieth.jpg

Welcome to the 101st session of the PGA Tour. Link to Last Year's Thread.

SCHEDULE AND NOTABLE EVENTS
Apr 7-10 Masters Tournament
Jun 16-19 U.S. Open
Jul 14-17 The Open Championship (British Open)
Jul 28-31 PGA Championship

Aug 11-14 Summer Olympics - GOLF IS BACK IN THE OLYMPICS!
Sep 30-Oct 2 Ryder Cup

FULL SCHEDULE HERE

A LOOK BACK TO 2015:
9–12 April: The Masters – Jordan Spieth won by four strokes over Phil Mickelson and Justin Rose. It was his first major victory. He also tied the Tiger Woods' tournament record of 270 (−18).

18–21 June: U.S. Open – Jordan Spieth won by one stroke when Dustin Johnson failed to make birdie at the 18th hole. He became the sixth player ever to win the Masters and U.S. Open in the same year.

16–19 July: The Open Championship – Zach Johnson won in a 4-hole aggregate playoff, when Louis Oosthuizen failed to make his putt on the 4th and final hole of the playoff. It was Johnson's first Open Championship victory, and his second major victory.

13–16 August: PGA Championship – Jason Day won his first major by three strokes over Jordan Spieth. Day played consistently during the final round, never allowing Spieth an opportunity to get closer than 3 strokes, while setting a record for a major at 20 under par, besting Tiger Woods' previous record of 19 under at the 2000 British Open.

A LOOK FORWARD TO 2016 - WHAT TO WATCH FOR:
1. Jordan Spieth dominated 2015 in a throwback to the days when Tiger carried the game - despite the awe inspiring performances, can the "golf superstar" enter "sports superstar" status this year and continue his dominance in 2016?

2. Rory McIlroy returns to a full schedule after suffering a devastating ACL injury caused by goofing around with his mates during a game of footy. Despite a return at the PGA Championship, he finished a disappointing 17th place, a sign he was not quite 100% yet. Can he recover from the disappointing season and the absolutely horrible video game that carried his name? We shall see.

3. Tiger Woods. Oh, Tiger Woods. Tiger seems to have some serious issues with confidence, and seems to be setting expectations for his future very low. A clever strategy to deflect attention? Or simply a realization that the game has past him by? 2016 may be when we know for sure if we will ever see Tiger back to where we want him to be.

4. Jason Day made a huge mark at the end of the season and has entered the conversation as arguably the 3rd best player in the game behind Spieth and Rory. Is this the year he passes one or both by?

5. Rickie Fowler is becoming one of the most popular players on tour, especially with younger fans. He had two notable tour victories near the end of the season and all eyes will continue to be on him to see if he can continue to improve his game and become a ever week threat to win.

CURRENT WORLD RANKINGS:
http://www.owgr.com/ranking
01 Jordan Spieth
02 Jason Day
03 Rory McIlroy
04 Bubba Watson
05 Rickie Fowler
06 Henrik Stenson
07 Justin Rose
08 Dustin Johnson
09 Jim Furyk
10 Patrick Reed
LOL Tiger Woods

jordan-spieth-light-saber-putter.jpg

1450247273-spieth-lightsaber.jpg

NYR

IMO, the event I'm most looking forward to is the Olympics. I can't believe we get to see golf in the Olympics, pretty exciting. I am a bit concerned though that they are only letting 60 players in the tournament and a max of four players from any one country, might water down the field slightly.

NYR

Crazy to think that there is only a week off between the last two majors this year. It's definitely going to be an exciting summer for golf!
Yep, pretty crazy, Olympics and Ryder Cup really makes scheduling tough. I wish they would have moved the US Open to May and The Open to June. Sucks for the Canadian Open, no one is going to that tournament.

methodman

Banned
Great thread. Can't wait for the masters.

Under Armor has been completely fucking killing it. Spieth, Stephen curry, cam Newton. God damn

NYR

Man, this thread needs more love!
It'll get going closer to March-April, I don't blame people for not being into Golf when most of America and Canada are covered in snow and other sports are in Mid-season.

NYR

Great thread. Can't wait for the masters.

Under Armor has been completely fucking killing it. Spieth, Stephen curry, cam Newton. God damn
Apparently they also finished 2nd to Adidas for the license on NHL jerseys. They are making huge moves, big stars only makes them gain more attention - they need to corner golf apparel, so much trash out there and Nike stuff is so over priced, especially Tiger Woods' stuff.

eznark

Banned
It'll get going closer to March-April, I don't blame people for not being into Golf when most of America and Canada are covered in snow and other sports are in Mid-season.

New clubs are coming! Demo days are like right now! We should just make this a general golf thread...

Yes!

Thank you for this thread.

It's going to be weird having the Open and PGA Championship so close together...

The whole summer schedule will be nuts. With the Olympics forcing the PGA to move up and the Bridgestone to be moved to late June, pretty much the entire schedule from the US Open to the Ryder Cup is packed. It could wind up being the best three and a half months the sport has seen in a long, long time.

eznark

Banned
This Farmers Insurance Open is a blast right now. Wind is getting up there but is also seemingly random. Choi just had to play his putt to break about 8 inches.

Also, went and hit the Vapror Fly Pro's yesterday. Depending on how the fitting goes I might think the unthinkable and buy Nike irons.

Yep, pretty crazy, Olympics and Ryder Cup really makes scheduling tough. I wish they would have moved the US Open to May and The Open to June. Sucks for the Canadian Open, no one is going to that tournament.

Your implying anybody really cares for the event anyway, Especially since it's being held at Glen Abbey AGAIN.

Griss

I'd watch this but after the state of the two rounds I shot this weekend I'm afraid it would just depress me. Also no Rory.

Nantz is great on golf. Faldo and Nantz are wonderful.

I should probably quantify that with "I hate Jim Nantz on football" considering he calls football games like the Masters. Then again I wonder how much that has to do with his partner being a walking mannequin (Phil Simms)

eznark

Banned
I hate Nantz as much as anyone when it comes to football, but he is perfect for golf. Plus he was in the greatest movie of all time Tin Cup

I think Tiger's done (qualified with the fact that you can literally play competitive golf into your 70s, I don't think his playing days are over by any stretch).

But reading that piece in the OP makes me think he's content with where his career is if he hung it up right now. He's just not in the same place he was mentally and emotionally that he was when he ran the Tour. I think he's finally come to the place where he's found out that winning golf tournaments doesn't have to be the sole reason for his existence. The Pursuit of Jack Nicklaus is officially over which means Tiger Woods is effectively over.

Eldrick Woods will maybe pop up and compete at a couple of tournaments every year, may even get his name in contention at a major. But he's in the background now, the past of golf.

There are plenty of bright stars in the present and future of golf to take his place.

NYHorn36

Headed down to Austin this weekend to watch the Dell Match Play on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I grew up a member of ACC so I've played the course a lot, can't wait to see the players take it on.

I know the middle section of the venn diagram for golfers and gaffers is quite small, but I sure am getting hyped for the masters. Been listening to a couple of podcasts: No Laying Up (also a good twitter follow), Shane Bacon's podcast, and the Geoff Shackleford podcast in partnership with Bill Simmons' network have been really entertaining thus far. The No Laying Up intro is the best.

Chris R

Headed down to Austin this weekend to watch the Dell Match Play on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I grew up a member of ACC so I've played the course a lot, can't wait to see the players take it on.

Course looked awesome. Shame I never travel with my clubs, would have loved to play it either time I was in the Austin area.

ShaneB

I know the middle section of the venn diagram for golfers and gaffers is quite small, but I sure am getting hyped for the masters. Been listening to a couple of podcasts: No Laying Up (also a good twitter follow), Shane Bacon's podcast, and the Geoff Shackleford podcast in partnership with Bill Simmons' network have been really entertaining thus far. The No Laying Up intro is the best.

I don't post as often as I use to, otherwise I'd post during every event. Been some crazy finishes in past few events, and yes, I can't wait for the Masters next week as well. I'll have to check out the No Laying Up podcast, was unaware it was an actual podcast, but do follow on Twitter. Will see about the others you mention.

Been more engrossed with my own game since getting my clubs back and fitting properly, a byproduct of having a split golf thread I guess.

I think '86' will be a fun watch as well next week on.. Tuesday night I believe.

NYR

Officially just one week until the Masters!

Jason Day is now the #1 ranked player in the world heading in the Masters, Spieth is looking incredibly weak heading into this first major.

Officially just one week until the Masters!

Jason Day is now the #1 ranked player in the world heading in the Masters, Spieth is looking incredibly weak heading into this first major.

Spieth needs a strong week in Houston to show he's still a contender for The Masters. But I think it's a curse to actually WIN houston so a top 5 finish would suffice.

NYR

Spieth needs a strong week in Houston to show he's still a contender for The Masters. But I think it's a curse to actually WIN houston so a top 5 finish would suffice.

Just watched the highlights on Sportscentre from today, he looked decent, sitting right outside the top 10, I totally agree with you, don't want to be pre-mature with a win this week.

I really just hope all the big names pick it up here, usually it takes to the US Open to see everyone going at each other, golf needs a superstar to win this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom