• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGA Tour 2016 |OT| Tour Wars: Revenge Of The Spieth

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder_ur

Fun tournament and ending. Don't really know why Walker went for the green there, but he got it done.

The length these guys are hitting is so ridiculous. Day had to hit two relatively easy irons to get home on a par 5, he hit his tee iron 300 yards. They don't even have to hit woods to reach par 5s. I know it's nothing new and I have no idea what you can do about it, but it struck me watching that.

That scoring tent is such a weird place. So ridiculous and outdated. Have the biggest moment of your career? Go sit in a somber, over serious tent to confirm everything that happened on national television.

Fun tournament and ending. Don't really know why Walker went for the green there, but he got it done.

The length these guys are hitting is so ridiculous. Day had to hit two relatively easy irons to get home on a par 5, he hit his tee iron 300 yards. They don't even have to hit woods to reach par 5s. I know it's nothing new and I have no idea what you can do about it, but it struck me watching that.

That scoring tent is such a weird place. So ridiculous and outdated. Have the biggest moment of your career? Go sit in a somber, over serious tent to confirm everything that happened on national television.

Are you talking about Day's 2nd shot into 18? I'd have to respectfully disagree here; there was nothing relatively easy about it, but that's more of a testament to Day's skill to think that about his shot. Definitely one of the best shots we've seen all year because of the circumstances, how hard it is to hit a 2 iron off the deck (with that kind of elevation) and to get it to bite on the green.
It's kind of like how DJ played the 18th at Chambers Bay last year. Yeah he 3-jacked it but he smoked two amazing shots to give him that eagle opportunity, which we sometimes forget.

Big changes coming for Nike Golf, phasing out equipment and focusing on apparel and footwear:

http://news.nike.com/news/nike-focuses-golf-innovation-on-footwear-and-apparel-transitions-out-of-equipment

So I wonder for Kopeka, McIlroy, Finau and others if they will change clubs?

Rich Beem started the rumor that Rory had a Scotty Cameron in his locker during the PGA, and was dying to putt with it, so maybe there's some truth to that. Also explains Schwartzel's equipement change before the Open.

You probably won't see anyone changing equipment until after the FedEx Cup. I imagine NIke is going to re-structure their contracts to a strict apparel deal a la Jordan Spieth. Their athletes would be free to sign with any company to play their clubs, and the odds are on Rory going back to Titleist.

In regards to Rory and Nike Golf hardgoods going kaput:

Article from PGA Tour's site

Of course, that doesn't mean McIlroy has plans to make wholesale changes — at least not yet. McIlroy had 13 Nike clubs in the bag during a Monday practice session at Bethpage Black and noted during his press conference that he's happy with most of the equipment in his bag, even confirming that he has a three-year supply of Nike RZN Tour Platinum golf balls at his disposal.

Improving his path was one part of the equation. The other was going from a Nike Method Origin blade to a Scotty Cameron prototype mallet — a head model he hasn't used since 2011 — that helped reduce head twisting and keep the face square at impact.

Instead of signing another full bag deal, similar to what he did with Nike, McIlroy is considering the idea of going it alone for a year or two and putting together a set of clubs that suits his game and playing preferences.

"I might start tinkering a little bit in the offseason and see what else is out there," McIlroy said. "I don't really expect to sign with anyone next year. I'd rather just have a year of going and playing what I want and being comfortable, and if I come across something that I really like and I'm really comfortable with, obviously I'll look to sign a longer-term deal."

If he does go it alone, he'll follow in the footsteps of a select few — Ryan Moore did the same thing last season before signing with PXG at the Shell Houston Open — that have played on TOUR without a major equipment sponsor.

This thread is dead, but...

The Tour Championship is now on its second playoff hole. Playoff started with McIlroy, Ryan Moore, and Kevin Chappell.

Chappell was knocked out on the first hole, Rory just lipped out an 8 ft. eagle putt that would have won him the tourney outright.

If Rory wins, he wins the FedExCup.

If Moore wins, Dustin Johnson wins the FedExCup.

NYR

This thread is dead, but...

The Tour Championship is now on its second playoff hole. Playoff started with McIlroy, Ryan Moore, and Kevin Chappell.

Chappell was knocked out on the first hole, Rory just lipped out an 8 ft. eagle putt that would have won him the tourney outright.

If Rory wins, he wins the FedExCup.

If Moore wins, Dustin Johnson wins the FedExCup.
Pretty epic, watching now. Good way to end the season, but dear lord this year sucked for golf, pretty big reason this thread has been slow compared to past years. Doesn't help when people make new threads for majors when the community doesn't support them, we should just use one thread, not enough interest for this thread plus major threads.

It is great to see Rory back in it, can't wait to see him next year with non Nike clubs and that Scotty putter.

NYR

Maybe because I'm closer to it, but I feel like it's been a pretty great year. Lots of exciting finishes all season.
Pure golf - it's been solid. From a marketing and sport level, it's been terrible. Having 4 different major winners, only one being a "household brand" and having so many people skip out on the Olympics really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Attendance and ratings are way down.

Yes, having the same people won can be bad too, but it's great for the sport.

brerwolfe

Attendance and ratings are way down.
Attendance where? I've been to 26 tournaments this year and they've all been highly attended with the exception of opposite field events and the flooded-out Greenbrier. And if we're being honest, TV ratings will pale in comparison whenever Tiger isn't playing vs when he is. Watch what happens in Napa in two weeks.

And for major winners, you don't think Stenson is a household name? Former FedExCup champion, Olympic silver medalist and worldwide golfing stud?

Fantastic finish.

Good for Rory

For a guy whose putter has let him down so many times over the year, clinching on that was amazing.

Glad he won it but man his putting needs work. Hopefully he gets in order for next season. Guy would be at Tiger levels if he could putt.

Still hate the concept of the FedEx Cup though...

NYR

And for major winners, you don't think Stenson is a household name? Former FedExCup champion, Olympic silver medalist and worldwide golfing stud?
Yes, yes I am. Most sports fans do not know who Henrik Stenston is since he got huge over the last two years when people have stopped watching.

As for ratings, the numbers speak for themselves. Ratings and viewership have declined for each of the past seven final round PGA telecasts, with six of those seven hitting multi-year lows.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/tag/golf-ratings/

brerwolfe

The Tour booked me to cover Tiger once he announced he'd be playing this week.

Just turned my phone on, boss texted and said Tiger is withdrawing. I'm currently flying over Kansas on my way to Napa California...

Just turned my phone on, boss texted and said Tiger is withdrawing. I'm currently flying over Kansas on my way to Napa California...

Maybe you'll be able to spin it and cover the new blood like Wes Bryan, Ollie, Bryson etc.

Or go wine tasting and file an expense report on their tab lol

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

That sucks.

Kifimbo

So, Tiger is -2 after 6.

He'll probably fade in the weekend like he did in his last comeback, but hey, so far it's a great start.

EDIT: -3 after 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom