• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

I was directed over here from a Vita import suggestions thread. I don't think I'd like the memory card swapping required by the DL version, so I'm looking at picking up a retail copy.

If I buy the first one, can I download the expansion on my US PSN account, or would I need to buy both retail copies? Unfortunately it's still more expensive than I expected, so if I have to buy both I'll probably skip it. :(
It shouldn't matter which one you buy. Keep in mind though that you will need some 6 GB of space on your memory card to download the remaining data regardless of which version you end up with.

Wait, so I can just buy the Episode 2 card or the first one interchangeably?
The retail Vita copies of PSO2 are the base 1.0 game regardless of if you buy EP1 or EP2, you still have to download the massive patch regardless.

Anyway, the servers have come back online. However rather interestingly at the moment it seems almost all foreign ISPs are blocked and can't connect to either the website or game. Using a VPN lets you get on perfectly fine, although the servers are apparently a little unstable.

The retail Vita copies of PSO2 are the base 1.0 game regardless of if you buy EP1 or EP2, you still have to download the massive patch regardless.

Anyway, the servers have come back online. However rather interestingly at the moment it seems almost all foreign ISPs are blocked and can't connect to either the website or game. Using a VPN lets you get on perfectly fine, although the servers are apparently still unstable.
I guess they're fixing to get DDoSed by irate fans again.sigh

CTLance

*sniffle*

Looks like I'm one of the blokes caught in their IP blocks.
C9pVNlQ.jpg
All ships are gray, and the login throws the 249 generic server down message.

Taken from PSO-World post here:

What I got so far:

Blocked:
  • Comcast
  • AT&T
  • Cox
  • Time Warner Cable
  • Oceanic Time Warner
  • Charter
  • Virgin Media (UK)
  • BT Infinity (UK)
Working:
  • Verizon (apparently working for some but not others)
  • Deutsche Telekom

Tough luck, I guess. Now to wait and pray.

Yeah I'm also caught in the block. It seems that it isn't just BT Infinity for the UK but stuff going via BT Wholesale resellers too, which encompasses almost every single ISP in the UK that isn't Sky or Virgin Media (fibre).

I'm hearing even Japanese players are having a hard time connecting, so it's probably jumping the gun at this point to assume any action was taken against players outside SEA. Took me three tries myself to get on this morning.

pso20140627_082132_003.png

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Regarding that error - it basically says that there has been a connection error, nothing more.
Important thing to remember is that Japanese companies often include a "you're trying to connect from an unsupported territory/this service is meant only for players in Japan" message when an actual IP block is in place.

Apollyon

Neo Member
I'm hearing even Japanese players are having a hard time connecting, so it's probably jumping the gun at this point to assume any action was taken against players outside SEA. Took me three tries myself to get on this morning.

Yeah, all the servers were Unknown status when I started up the game, and attempting to login got me the same 249 error. Since this is right after a debilitating DDoS attack, I'm going to wait on a more official word or at least a more concrete confirmation before saying this is a straight-up IP Block. I hope not, anyway.

CTLance

I can't even ping pso2.jp, and traceroutes (although rarely reliable) show nothing but dropped pings immediately after being handed off from my local ISP, which smacks of a deliberate block instead of secretive configs. Anti (D)DOS blocks usually are near the (suspected) source, so it makes sense that my packets are intercepted very early.

I just hope they will eventually remove the block again. I'm not foaming-at-the-moth crazy about PSO2, but I'd miss it nonetheless.

Also, yeah, 249 is the catch-all "something went wrong while connecting to the server" error, so I'm not overly worried.

Yet.

Edit: Tried a local university (big backbone). Traceroute works for most hops until it gets to a Japanese datacenter, then maxes out 30 hops without replies. Traces from inside Japan die at the same hop, so I guess someone just doesn't like pings after a certain point. Not gonna dig deeper than that, no use prodding the hornet nest. Still, it shows that packets from my local ISP are getting dropped deliberately and selectively.

Son of a bitch. I am scheduled to get the Vita version today and we're on an IP block now?

[Edit]

Oh so this is just the result of an attack by some asshole(s).

CTLance

Calling it an IP block is kind of wrong... What they have in place is a temporary routing change at the backbone level. The usual IP blocking is done at or near the server instead.

Let's put it this way: Sega announced their next big party and sent out RSVPs to all their thousands of facebook friends around the world by accident. Every last one of them replied and wants to come. Oh shit.

Now, what they can do is curl up at home and pretend to not be there (classic blocking). Of course the roads will be chockful with party hopefuls, and their neighbours will rip them a new one when they happen to see them again.

Or, and this is what they did: They can go out and install special traffic signs near highways, airports and train stations so that any cars that try to drive to the location instead drive off a cliff into a landfill. No problems with the neighbours! The locals will know the way by heart and thus arrive at the party location. Awesome.

Authorities will be removing the signs soon, since they're in the way of normal operations.

Once we bang on the door and nobody is answering we can start screaming. Right now we're just stuck in a landfill. No problem.

Well hopefully they get it all sorted out soon. I haven't played in a while but I figure next week, it'd be fun to just at least try out the new stuff with friends and I will not be bothering with a VPN to access it. Will wait and see before casting any sort of judgement.

Bans (temporary account suspensions and permanent bans) due to VPN use are happening, has happened to someone in my team. If you can't connect without one it's probably best to just wait and see. Things are getting weird...

Sophia

Getting reports that some people on Time Warner Cable and AT&T, as well as a few uncommon European ISPs, can connect to the website/game then. Things are looking up at least.

Soma

I'm on Bright House over here in Cali.

Hope the rest of you guys that still can't connect are able to play again soon. :(

It's actually the opposite for me; I was able to connect normally up until around 3am, then it just died. Any attempt to trace the route to pso2.jp dies on the third hop now. Hoping it's just a temporary link failure on Verizon's part.

Of course, this all happens after I spend hours making sure I have a means to access my home network while traveling...

From what I can gather keeping up on everything that has happened this morning, Verizon and other small EU/US ISPs that could get on to PSO2 previously were blocked this morning (making a blanket ban), yet now a few hours later Time Warner, TTNet and a couple of other small EU ISPs are no longer blocked.

No idea what the hell to think of this. Every time people seem to think they've nailed down who is responsible for access being blocked it turns out to be wrong. Absolutely all UK ISPs are still blocked however, so it still doesn't really matter for me. At this point I think I'm going to wait until the weekend, then start looking into paying for a dedicated IP VPN.

trejo

I just checked and it seems like the Sega gods have not deemed me worthy to return to their fold yet.

feelsbad.jpg

I just created a virtual machine on Amazon's AWS in their Tokyo datacenter. I then installed OpenVPN and connected to it from my Macbook.

Then I shared the connection with my Vita... Success - I was able to log in! Maybe I can finally play for the first time tonight. I'm sure this would work just fine for the PC game client as well.

BTW once I figured out a plan, it was pretty easy (and free) to set up. I'd be happy to help if anyone would like to do this too.

ShinMaruku

Some DDOSS measures are being rolled out and undone. So connection will be shit for about 3 weeks as Sega and the IP holders get their shit done.

Varion

No idea what the hell to think of this. Every time people seem to think they've nailed down who is responsible for access being blocked it turns out to be wrong. Absolutely all UK ISPs are still blocked however, so it still doesn't really matter for me. At this point I think I'm going to wait until the weekend, then start looking into paying for a dedicated IP VPN.
Slowly starting to think the same thing, especially considering the apology stuff expires on the 16th.

Really reluctant because I don't want to open myself up for a ban and lose everything, but this really doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I've played this since the open beta, it was a great game that will probably never get localized. A shame we can't play it anymore because of a ddos'er but we were fortunate enough for Sega to not block us hard until then.

We can hope that Sonic of America will localize/"culturalize" the game but it will no doubt follow similar circumstances to the English version of Phantasy Star Universe with missing content and seasonal events going on for half a year.

The English version will probably cycle back between normal lobbies and Sonic lobbies for the duration of the service. If the IP block is a thing and continues being a thing I can easily say the best experience I could have with PSO2 is already over.

Slowly starting to think the same thing, especially considering the apology stuff expires on the 16th.

Really reluctant because I don't want to open myself up for a ban and lose everything, but this really doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Well I spoke to my ISP and they confirmed what a lot of others had found, that it's due to Sega's servers being blacklisted by backbone providers as a result of the DDoS and that it's a case of waiting for them to be unblocked again which could range from days to months.

After that I decided to just bite the bullet and go for it, there is a (potentially) free (but rather complicated) method posted on PSO-World that lets you play the game, doesn't trigger the e-mail requiring you to confirm your identity to unlock your account and has a static Japanese IP.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220299

Not going to make any guarantees that it is totally safe since Sega's actions are about as predictable as a random number generator, but it let me log on and play perfectly earlier today and people haven't reported any issues so far. I'd assume as long as you are sensible and don't try to log on from that JP IP and one from another country in a short space of time it'll just look to Sega like you are now in Japan but still using the same PC.

Razma1

Well I spoke to my ISP and they confirmed what a lot of others had found, that it's due to Sega's servers being blacklisted by backbone providers as a result of the DDoS and that it's a case of waiting for them to be unblocked again which could range from days to months.

After that I decided to just bite the bullet and go for it, there is a (potentially) free (but rather complicated) method posted on PSO-World that lets you play the game, doesn't trigger the e-mail requiring you to confirm your identity to unlock your account and has a static Japanese IP.

Not going to make any guarantees that it is totally safe since Sega's actions are about as predictable as a random number generator, but it let me log on and play perfectly earlier today and people haven't reported any issues so far. I'd assume as long as you are sensible and don't try to log on from that JP IP and one from another country in a short space of time it'll just look to Sega like you are now in Japan but still using the same PC.

The game only has you check your email for a code if you MAC address has changed so the VPN isn't going to force that check. I've used the VPN in the link myself for awhile and it works great I would say even faster then my regular connection. I wouldn't even call the VPN complicated to setup its very simple and has step by step instructions.

Just make sure not to change your account details on the VPN that has been causing people to be locked out of their account due to a different ISP.

My ISP is also taking the "Soon" stance so this is fine for now and I may even stick with it in the long run due to latency.

As far as localization goes I think I will pass with how the game is behind in the SEA version and has some crazy changes to make the game easier (100% hp from subclass) I'd rather stick with the JPN version.

Varion

Yeah, I think I'm going to try this on Monday (not that I expect anything to change between now and then, just wouldn't get much time to play this weekend anyway). It's a risk, but it's been over a week now and everything seems to be relatively normal on the Japanese side while we're still stuck in a state of 'might be months', so it's a risk I'm willing to take at this point. After playing it since the second alpha the game itself has lost a lot of its luster, but I'm starting to miss some of the friends I made playing it, so here's hoping.

Thanks for the help!

I'm assuming most people don't care due to the English patch for the PC version, but are there any more definitive guides out there?

I've read the content on Bumped and am playing the Vita version. I played a ton of the original PSO so I think I've been able to infer the basics, but I still feel a little lost.

Even stuff as simple as - there are little Xs next to weapons and photon arts. It's obvious I can't use these, but I don't know why. Is it a class requirement or a stat requirement? The guides I've seen don't seem to cover a lot of little things.

Ramune

I'm assuming most people don't care due to the English patch for the PC version, but are there any more definitive guides out there?

I've read the content on Bumped and am playing the Vita version. I played a ton of the original PSO so I think I've been able to infer the basics, but I still feel a little lost.

Even stuff as simple as - there are little Xs next to weapons and photon arts. It's obvious I can't use these, but I don't know why. Is it a class requirement or a stat requirement? The guides I've seen don't seem to cover a lot of little things.

I used Cirnopedia for added reference. Red Xs means its a weapon you can't use because of your not the right class. Grey Xs are weapons that you can't yet equip because you dont meet the requirements (-atk, Dex,-def for example)

Top Bottom