• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil says January is time to talk about games for Windows

Qassim

My expectations are really low. We will probably get some old remasters and new indie games and that is it.

I think that is rather high expectations. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be about gateway xbox services (like that new Xbox app leaked in Windows 10) and other things like that, rather than anything substantial for PC gaming.

Kezen

Banned
I think that is rather high expectations. I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be about gateway xbox services (like that new Xbox app leaked in Windows 10) and other things like that, rather than anything substantial for PC gaming.

Microsoft have a very different definition of "gaming on windows" than us, that's for certain.

Qassim

Microsoft have a very different definition of "gaming on windows" than us, that's for certain.

I mean I expect DX12 will be a talking point, and off the back of that I can't help but get probably illogically excited about that DX12 Forza 5 PC demo they whipped up for GDC 2014. I feel the chances of it actually happening are quite slim, but just the fact they made a point of showing it to us running on Windows in DX12 gives me a tiny bit of hope.

But as I said, my expectations are quite low, and any excitement I do have, I know is based off mostly illogical feelings. As I know that demo was a lot about the functionality DX12 will bring to the Xbox One and as such it would make most sense to prototype and showcase that on a PC build. They didn't showcase Forza 5 running on Windows for any PC gaming related reason, it was about talking about the new DX12 functionality.

derFeef

They are treating this as a service so far, not going to be game announcements. I can already see the disappointed posts (or made up posts) because of wrong expectations.

Wiktor

They are treating this as a service so far, not going to be game announcements. I can already see the disappointed posts (or made up posts) because of wrong expectations.

You know..it would be quite a feat to have people express such negative expectations and yet still manage to dissapoint them. But if anyone can do it, it's Microsoft.

derFeef

You know..it would be quite a feat to have people express such negative expectations and yet still manage to dissapoint them. But if anyone can do it, it's Microsoft.

eh, it happens with pretty much everything. But with MS people actually know what they will get and yet still have wrong expectations.

Wiktor

eh, it happens with pretty much everything. But with MS people actually know what they will get and yet still have wrong expectations.

Well...MS can only blame themselves. if they wouldn't be BSing everybody every 6 months there would be no bashing. Instead their pc gaming promises are quickly aproachin meme status

If they're going to support Windows 10 with games as well as they support Windows Mobile with apps then we should expect to see the announcement of Halo 3 for iOS and OSX.

Herne

Microsoft has nothing I want, and hasn't had for years after they closed a number of key studios. They can bleat all they want about how they're supporting pc gaming - maybe, some day, they'll actually mean it.

Elandyll

Banned

Aye.

Technically we should be already on Win 10, and getting next v11, but it looks like they want to pretend Win ME or Vista never happened. I guess.

Win 1
Win 2
Win 3 (better known as 3.1)
Win 95 (4)
Win 98/ 98 SE (5)
Win ME (6)
Win XP (7)
Win Vista (8)
Win 7 (9)
Win 8 (10)
Win 10 (11)

Personnally, I can't wait for "something" to be a good alternative for a computer station that can be both a gaming AND basic workstation workhouse (and would not require a dual OS boot or emulation, while being adopted by most game publishers/ devs).
Something like an Android/ Chrome Desktop/ Laptop computer with actually good gaming innards, and supported for AAA retail games.

Mac (or a decent stable & user friendly distro of Linux) wouldn't be so bad if 80%+ of games were never going to be on it :(

gaming_noob

Corrine Yu complained about programming through multiple layers after she left 343i. If MS were to build another console and kept this footprint would it mean just as many complications for developers?

Azih

Corrine Yu complained about programming through multiple layers after she left 343i. If MS were to build another console and kept this footprint would it mean just as many complications for developers?

Depends on the developer really. Non AAA game developers don't really do anything close to 'coding to the metal' in the first place.

Daviii

By the time Microsoft prepares a competent PC gaming solution there will be something else cannibalizing the market. I wonder how on earth MS still survives when they are always, always, late to the market (Well that's rethorical, I know how they survive)

Heigic

I will remain optimistic just because Microsoft has a new CEO and a new person in charge of Xbox. x86 apps will be in the store for win10 so there will be more than just mobile games. A new store to buy games from isn't exactly exciting though.

Sydle

Sorry to bump, nothing really "new", but figured I'd post it here:
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/547281482566213633

Question: "Will there be anything noteworthy concerning the Xbox One at the Windows 10 event taking place on January 21?"

Response: "I think what we will show will be interesting to both Windows and XBOX gamers."

Cross buy and cross play or I will be disappointed.

I'm going to be disappointed

In all seriousness, I'm expecting some announcements around games that are cross platform because it fits Nadella's mission of mobile-first, cloud-first. I think we'll finally see what LiftLondon has been doing and I wouldn't be surprised if there are some Xbox 360 games and older Xbox One games that make it to Windows 10.

Top Bottom