• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil says January is time to talk about games for Windows

brennok

Neo Member
Sunset Overdrive is currently the only XB1 title I would be interested in. The MCC might be interesting, but with it designed as a console shooter I doubt I would be interested. I avoid FPS games that don't offer server browsers and rentable servers that admins can customize. I have never been a fan of matchmaking especially since it is the most basic form that is always offered with your only real choice being a mode.

-New Age of Empires
-New Microsoft Flight Simulator
-New Links Golf with XB1 and PC cross-play
-A large portion of their back catalog on Steam (FASA games, AOE, Close Combat, Starlancer, Freelancer, Links Golf, etc.)
-New Battletech MMORPG with XB1 and PC cross-play

One can dream....

Hnnng

Phil4000

-New Age of Empires
-New Microsoft Flight Simulator
-New Links Golf with XB1 and PC cross-play
-A large portion of their back catalog on Steam (FASA games, AOE, Close Combat, Starlancer, Freelancer, Links Golf, etc.)
-New Battletech MMORPG with XB1 and PC cross-play

One can dream....

Another true AOE is all I need!
2527325-1444842183-aoe3..jpg

Make it happen Microsoft! Halo Wars is basically AOE5 haha

RayMaker

Banned
Killer Instinct & MCC featuring crossplay with One

Halo.gif

I can see stuff like this happening plus plans of unified apps running on windows 10 devices and xbox ones, like smaller indie games, devs will have software which is one platfom(win10) and the game/app they create will work on all win10 devices and x1, with tools to scale the game to the correct screen size.

I could see this being very good for smaller games coming to x1, because pc indie devs will have nothing to loose creating the game on windows 10 so by default it will come to the other platforms aswell. However the game would be held back by the lowest common denominator, I doubt some applications will work with the phones.

Wiktor

They also released an updated version of Age of Mythology this year and last year they released an official (though granted, fan created) expansion to Age of Kings...more than a decade after The Conquerors.

Maybe I'm too hopeful, but I get the feeling an Age 4 announcement isn't far off, and given that AoK is still relatively popular (5000+ players on Steam right now, not counting other established communities still playing TC), I bet it goes back to the Middle Ages.

AoE2 HD sold over million copies. Which for a barely refreshed old game is amazing. it's obvious AoE4 would do amazing in sales.

Wiktor

Partner with Valve to implement Steam as the main game store with a custom UI as a standard part of Win10.
Hell no. That would be retarded. Why would MS ever do that? They have nothing to gain and they just allow 3rd party, one that's not so friendly to MS, to durther monopolize the PC market.

What MS should do is make their own client that would connect to every big DD store. One place where you could launch every single game you own from, no matter which service it uses, even if means launching Steam, Origin etc client first. One place where you could monitor the sales, compare direct prices etc. Heck, maybe even have combined/common friends list.
This would heavily limit the fragmentation without all the downsides of unnification usually brings

Zarx

AoE2 HD sold over million copies. Which for a barely refreshed old game is amazing. it's obvious AoE4 would do amazing in sales.

Starcraft 2 sold almost 4.5 million copies in it's first year. A proper AoE4 with good reviews and an eSports push, would do around that much easy.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Making Steam a platform standard on the operating system would only cause trouble. A Steam metro app built along the same design concept of Steam Big Picture mode would work nicely. Honestly would rather a official app that could integrate every store/gaming library application for access to all my games in one hub. Just like the mail app has all my e-mail accounts in one app.

It's funny how when all the smoke settled and Microsoft didn't force everyone to use the windows store not a single peep has come out of Gabe or Valve on the matter. It's funny what kind of tantrum a company can put up when their profits are in fear of competition.

Honestly the crap Gabe talked about Windows 8 because of this was down right childish.

I expect him to talk about DX12 and how great it is for games, make no announcement about MS internally developed PC games, and then make vague promises (again) about having more to talk about very soon.

UnrealEck

They can start by releasing Halo MCC on Windows DirectX. But I'm sure they won't just because it would dirty the XboxOne a little in the little console war if one of their biggest titles is no longer exclusive. I'm sure they want to try to prevent people from uttering 'well, one less reason to own an Xbox' as much as possible.

Ushay

They can start by releasing Halo MCC on Windows DirectX. But I'm sure they won't just because it would dirty the XboxOne a little in the little console war if one of their biggest titles is no longer exclusive. I'm sure they want to try to prevent people from uttering 'well, one less reason to own an Xbox' as much as possible.

Good point. Exactly why for MS to have any kind of traction they will need real and attractive exclusives built for PC only, shared exclusives between both console and PC, then exclusives that will only appear on Xbox. Would make the ecosystem quite appealing to have. The biggest issue would be getting the right software with ease of use, functionality and smooth.

Another true AOE is all I need!
2527325-1444842183-aoe3..jpg

Make it happen Microsoft! Halo Wars is basically AOE5 haha

Emsemble. Killed before their time. Just imagine if they had been allowed to live and work on bringing more Halo Wars games to the market as well as the occasional traditional AoE to PC.

Sigh.

Gaogaogao

Have you missed the fact that MS has been putting their games on Steam?

I have noticed that, but something like halo or gears could get away with selling on origin exclusively if EA incentivised it. the point is I don't know how they will screw this up, but they almost assuredly will.

Wiktor

Whynotboth.gif

Same reason why Sony doesn't port all their PlayStation games to PC - they want to give people incentive to buy their consoles.

That said, Windows might not be fully their gaming platform, but it's still partially theirs. So porting games long after they stop being such incentive (like 2-3 years) would be a good idea. Make additional money, strenghten the brand and maybe even convince some pcgamers who love those games to buy Xbox One to not have to wait years for port of sequel.

Synth

Same reason why Sony doesn't port all their PlayStation games to PC - they want to give people incentive to buy their consoles.

That said, Windows might not be fully their gaming platform, but it's still partially theirs. So porting games long after they stop being such incentive (like 2-3 years) would be a good idea. Make additional money, strenghten the brand and maybe even convince some pcgamers who love those games to buy Xbox One to not have to wait years for port of sequel.

If Sony had their own desktop OS, and could put a PlayStation inside each one, and sell their accessories and games that way, I can imagine they probably would.

MS' problem is that they saw the PlayStation and went to combat it directly, rather than making steps that would have invalidated it by now... and now they need to deal with another company that made those steps in their absence.

Wiktor

If Sony had their own desktop OS, and could put a PlayStation inside each one, and sell their accessories and games that way, I can imagine they probably would.

Only if they could charge third parties to sell games for it. If Microsoft's GFWL or W8's Marketplace would take off and become what Steam is to PC now, I think MS would be porting most of their games to it.

Synth

Only if they could charge third parties to sell games for it. If Microsoft's GFWL or W8's Marketplace would take off and become what Steam is to PC now, I think MS would be porting most of their games to it.

Yea, the idea of embedding the store into the OS implies that you'd take a cut from those whose game you distribute through it.

GFWL was a very poor implementation, and they damaged it right out of the gate with the attempt to charge a subscription cost to a community that already had a million free online gaming options. If they hadn't done that, and had given it the same sort of care they tend to give the Xbox consoles (I've never had the 360 delete my save randomly), then it would have had a better shot.

The W8 store has a completely different issue. Content. It has the potential to be something great, but its selection is simply too thin to be a real consideration. Outside of something like BlazBlue, there's not really anything on their that doesn't obviously belong to the mobile market (and it doesn't compete very well again other mobile stores either). There are no Halos or Gears of Wars, or anything resembling them from third-parties. Windows 10 has the potential to improve things a lot if they actually do manage to integrate desktop software nicely into the store, rather than it simply being a link that fires you off to the developer's website.

Hubble

Never believed the whole keep Xbox games on Xbox. PC gamers are a completely different demographic than console gamers. I don't think it would make much difference and a lot more revenue from the PC market.

I'd love and Xbox Streaming app.

Imagine being able to access your Console games on any Windows device? Tablet, Smart Phone, Desktop, Surface, you name it.

If MS want to "protect" the Xbox brand and not make the PC a direct "competitor" it is the only logical solution.

Juanfp

I have thought about and idea. I know it's imposible but want to know what other people think.
For the one that owns an xbox one they can "stream" thier games to a pc with windows 10 and have the improvement of a better cpu and gpu. And for the ones that don't have a xbox one they can pay a fee ($200) for "software license and stuff" and be able to play all the exclusive. You have to buy the game of course.
The price that I put was the first to come to my mind.

Never believed the whole keep Xbox games on Xbox. PC gamers are a completely different demographic than console gamers. I don't think it would make much difference and a lot more revenue from the PC market.

I agree. Minecraft selling 10+million on PC didn't stop the 360 version from selling millions.

Halo/Gears/whatever being on Xbox and Windows is only a good thing for Microsoft. There are millions of PC players out there who will never, ever buy an Xbox machine but will drop some money on PC versions of MS's big console titles or a new Age of Empires/Rise of or, heaven forbid, a whole new game designed for PC

(OFF TOPIC) I can't create my own threads yet so i have to ask this here. Sorry

Hey guys,

So I just bought my FIRST!!!! yes first Xbox console ever.

So it won't be opened until Christmas. The system was bought for my children and me of course. So i was wondering are there any tips you guys can offer me, things i need to verify? things that i should look into setting up. Any fun things that can be done with the new OS or things that i should check out :)
Or if someone here knows of a site that has a video like Introduction to the xbox one...

Thank you.

SPDIF

(OFF TOPIC) I can't create my own threads yet so i have to ask this here. Sorry

Hey guys,

So I just bought my FIRST!!!! yes first Xbox console ever.

So it won't be opened until Christmas. The system was bought for my children and me of course. So i was wondering are there any tips you guys can offer me, things i need to verify? things that i should look into setting up. Any fun things that can be done with the new OS or things that i should check out :)
Or if someone here knows of a site that has a video like Introduction to the xbox one...

Thank you.

The only thing I'd suggest would be to make sure that the console is updated and ready to go for Christmas morning (to avoid any waiting), but since it won't be opened until then, I guess that idea is out the window. Other than that there's not much to it.

You might want to check out the official Xbox One support page. It'll probably answer any other questions you have http://support.xbox.com/browse/xbox-one

Elandyll

Banned
Phil gets on stage. Grabs mic.

"For those of you who want to do gaming, particularly online, we have a product for you.

It's called Xbox One.

Thank you."

Drops mic.

Exits stage left.

Phil gets on stage. Grabs mic.

"For those of you who want to do gaming, particularly online, we have a product for you.

It's called Xbox One.

Thank you."

Drops mic.

Exits stage left.

As much as I want to see MS start making PC games again, this would almost be worth it for the meltdowns alone.

Leb

I hope they do something like PC xbox cross play for titanfall. The population right now is pretty low :/

Given the vanishingly low TTK in TF and the rather generous autoaim, I honestly think decent XB1 users could hold their own against most KB+M players.

Top Bottom