• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: 'Gaming Without Boundaries: Our Vision for the Future of Xbox'

They're heading in the right direction. Although the way they're heading there is totally wrong. Instead of making Xbox more like a PC, they're making PC more like an Xbox, which is a mistake and will end up as a total failure.

Toki767

You don't think the Play Anywhere feature will expand further than first party titles?

That's a game changer.

It never really took off for PS3/PS4/Vita Cross-Buy games unless you were an indie developer, so no, I don't think Play Anywhere will expand further than first party and indie titles.

Mingledorff

Neo Member
The console allows a cheaper entry fee to the exclusives.

It'll always be the better alternative.

This, I have a decent laptop (GTX 960m, 16gb RAM, i7), but don't really care for PC gaming because I'm a weirdo and just prefer consoles. I could build a desktop that will beat or rival the Scorpio, but I'd just rather buy the Scorpio because I like the console experience. I dunno what it is about it, but I like it better.

Shiggy

Play All is Microsoft's new attempt at realizing an all digital future? Will it be worth it when retail games are so much cheaper?

You don't think the Play Anywhere feature will expand further than first party titles?

That's a game changer.

It won't, because 3rd parties gives no shit about Windows 10 Store. Gamers neither. The only people interested in Play Anywhere, UWP or Windows 10 Store are Xbox One owners.

GHG

Gold Member

That's a game changer.

???

I don't know if you aren't already aware of this but the vast majority of 3rd party games are already on the PC. Nothing will change outside of how Microsoft are looking to deliver their 1st party games moving forwards.

Arulan

Those are certainly fantastic ideas, but I reject your unified UWP vision with all of my strength, and the former most certainly comes with latter.

tumblr_static_trojanhorse.jpg

Hitta93

Banned
???

I don't know if you aren't already aware of this but the vast majority of 3rd party games are already on the PC.

So you can buy a PS4 game and get the PC version as well? Exactly, and I think more devs would be willing to open that up.

Cross-platform play only makes it more valuable.

Blastoise

Banned
I trust Uncle Phil. But what about the big wigs at the top. Do they care about Xbox as much as him?

Microsoft just dropped $26.2 Billion for LinkedIn. Is Xbox and PC gaming even worth it to them in the long run. I hope so.

SparkTR

That's a game changer.

RE7 has a W10 version, which I assume will have these features. But the W10 store is still sales cancer and probably will be for a long while. No developer is going to touch it without releasing a Steam version first.

gtj1092

I don't get the Scorpio part at the end. Is he saying developers didn't know about it until today? Were there ever any reports about dev kits being out in the wild?

Bsigg12

I don't get the Scorpio part at the end. Is he saying developers didn't know about it until today? Were there ever any reports about dev kits being out in the wild?

Devs found out a couple weeks ago when the leaks started. They had a dev week and brought a bunch of people in to talk to them about it.

Toki767

I really doubt they did this to get the word out to developers when they interviewed developers for a video to introduce this.

Fredrik

To me this is a confirmation that in the future you don't need an Xbox console if you already have a PC, all games will run on PC, all accessories will work on PC, all services will run on PC. Xbox consoles are essentially Steam boxes with big picture mode, but they're running Windows 10. I feel like I should try to save up cash for a 1080ti rather than a Scorpio.

Killerhertz

Neo Member

Just to reiterate and reiterate that they will have some serious launch games by time it comes out to justify purchasing it

GHG

Gold Member
So you can buy a PS4 game and get the PC version as well? Exactly, and I think more devs would be willing to open that up.

Cross-platform play only makes it more valuable.

Cross platform play can already happen without the play anywhere initiative. It's already been happening with games like Rocket League.

Publishers would rather the potential for double dip money rather than give players a single license that gets them multiple versions of the same game.

Third party publishers are also not stupid enough to restrict themselves to releasing their PC version of a game on only the windows store which currently has a ~2% market share.

To me this is a confirmation that in the future you don't need an Xbox console if you already have a PC, all games will run on PC, all accessories will work on PC, all services will run on PC. Xbox consoles are essentially Steam boxes with big picture mode, but they're running Windows 10. I feel like I should try to save up cash for a 1080ti rather than a Scorpio.
If you have some patience for tinkering, I defiantly would.
PC gaming is the best platform with the most diverse amount of games, but sometimes its just not as plug and play as consoles are.

Hitta93

Banned
Cross platform play can already happen without the play anywhere initiative. It's already been happening with games like Rocket League.

Publishers would rather the potential for double dip money rather than give players a single license that gets them multiple versions of the same game.

Third party publishers are also not stupid enough to restrict themselves to releasing their PC version of a game on only the windows store which currently has a ~2% market share.

Pretty sure MS supports cross-platform play more than Sony does.

True, but realistically why would they do that with the way the consoles just get closer and closer to PCs?

Open up other storefronts on consoles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
From everything they have ever done, I dont want more MS in PC Gaming. Especially after the UWP/Win10 nonsense.

213372bu

Banned
True, but realistically why would they do that with the way the consoles just get closer and closer to PCs?

What?

You think a console holder is going to let other storefronts get huge cuts from sales of videogames?

It's more like the other way around as far as everything MS is attempting.

Retail games are not included. Digital only.
This is not like Quantum Break where you get a key. It will be tied to your account like Killer Instinct.

Yeah makes sense. Microsoft get to keep the entire $60 too, versus retail with COG/shipping and the retailer cut.

Its a sneaky way also to get traction with their new store.

It won't, because 3rd parties gives no shit about Windows 10 Store. Gamers neither. The only people interested in Play Anywhere, UWP or Windows 10 Store are Xbox One owners.

There will always be people that don't want an Xbox but still want to play Microsoft exclusives. Well now it's a lot easier (almost easier) since you have a PC and Win10. I think 3rd parties could be convinced if MS helps fund their games like what they are doing with Dead Rising 4. Even if it's just temporary exclusive like Tomb Raider.

DjRalford

There will always be people that don't want an Xbox but still want to play Microsoft exclusives. Well now it's a lot easier (almost easier) since you have a PC and Win10. I think 3rd parties could be convinced if MS helps fund their games like what they are doing with Dead Rising 4. Even if it's just temporary exclusive like Tomb Raider.

But in order to play the games on Win 10 online i am guessing you'll need live gold?

GHG

Gold Member
Pretty sure MS supports cross-platform play more than Sony does.

If you think Microsoft will allow other storefronts on their console then I have a bridge to sell to you.

But in order to play the games on Win 10 online i am guessing you'll need live gold?

No you don't.
For now.

scitek

Honestly is kind of cool how far they've come in regards to this. Even last year simultaneous releases for both Xbox and PC was kind of skeptically looked at on forums, people didn't really think it would be a thing for a LONG while. Now everything is cross platform. Seriously Gears 4, Forza, Scalebound all cross platform and running on PCs.

Nobody should ever have to bring out that massive list of broken Microsoft commitments to PC again. Now they just have to make the Windows Store worthwhile.

The list stays until they do this. The WIndows 10 store is awful, and the UWP is right there with it.

213372bu

Banned
Elaborate.

Console holders aren't going to take in less money for games on their platform.

Why would they do that?
--
As to the second part, Microsoft has been trying to corner the PC gaming market for decades, in an attempt to get more money out of each game sale, instead of subjecting to Steam or other platforms.

Their shitty policies and horrible community-destroying decisions included.

scitek

That's a game changer.

Third parties would be fucking daft to bother binding their games to a Microsoft service again after how Games for Windows Live ended up. A lot of them had to spend money removing that shit from their games years later.

I can see them putting their games on the WIndows 10 store in addition to Steam, Origin, etc., but no way MS will get any third party exclusives.

Windforce

I love this idea of new console not totally leaving a gen behind. Scorpio running XB1 games, XB1 running some Scorpio "crossgen" games at lower settings, and some Scorpio-only "full new gen" games. Smoother gen transitions for everyone.

If MS sets this standard (backwards and forward compatibility) it will be interesting to see how Sony will react (hopefully follow). x86 should help both ecosystems.

Interesting times.

Elaborate.

The reason why Sony, Ubsoft, Valve, Epic, Blizzard, Amazon and everyone else have their own storefronts is because they get A LOT of the money from the games sold.

Of anything that is sold on Steam, Valve takes 30%. That margin is insane.

And so Microsoft want people to buy their games on their storefronts and not loss revenue out on selling games on competitors storefronts.

Its a war of ecosystems, not of systems.

Xbox as a service.

They are simply creating a PC for your living room.

I can see them having Xbox OS on top of Windows 10 in couple of years. You can just build you own PC and install Xbox OS for free.

Sounds pretty fucking exciting.

I want this so bad.

c0de

I wouldn't buy an Xbox One just to play ReCore and Scalebound. So good job Microsoft for realising that you can get me to migrate to Windows 10 for them.

Guess what: they don't care. You will still buy the games.

Spaghetti

I dunno about this.

When the comments about leaving it up to devs to make Scorpio-exclusives came out, I got real skeptical about how far this support for lower tiers in the chain will go. Then again, if they're following the smartphone/ipad model, that's probably the plan. Only support the platform until you can get away with not doing it anymore.

If Scorpio-only development takes off in a big way, your only choice is going to be to upgrade. Now that's fine, because it's a valid business strategy for selling the console, but I wish they'd drop the pretence.

PC still makes more sense if you want a platform with capacity for incremental upgrades. You've just got more options for getting games outside your specs range to work, unlike on fixed platform where you've just got to suck it up and buy the new one.

Let's call this what it is, Microsoft are starting a new cycle because they lost too much ground with the Xbox One. They're just trying not to piss off the people who bought the console in the first place and expected it to be good for a generation.

Hitta93

Banned
The reason why Sony, Ubsoft, Valve, Epic, Blizzard, Amazon and everyone else have their own storefronts is because they get A LOT of the money from the games sold.

Of anything that is sold on Steam, Valve takes 30%. That margin is insane.

And so Microsoft want people to buy their games on their storefronts and not loss revenue out on selling games on competitors storefronts.

Its a war of ecosystems, not of systems.

What's stopping MS from just taking that same cut for allowing the storefront on the Xbox marketplace, assumingly they already get one on the marketplace?

213372bu

Banned
What's stopping MS from just taking that same cut for allowing the storefront on the Xbox marketplace, assumingly they already get one on the marketplace?

Not sure what this post is saying.

Are you asking why people like Steam wouldn't bring their storefront to Xbox without taking a cut?

What?

I love this idea of new console not totally leaving a gen behind. Scorpio running XB1 games, XB1 running some Scorpio "crossgen" games at lower settings, and some Scorpio-only "full new gen" games. Smoother gen transitions for everyone.

If MS sets this standard (backwards and forward compatibility) it will be interesting to see how Sony will react (hopefully follow). x86 should help both ecosystems.

Interesting times.

Yup, precisely what I think about all of this.

I'm done with console gens, just keep this up from now on. That way people will be even more willing to purchase a console, as it'll last longer than ever. The age of remasters will also slowing down after the notable games come out to the current consoles. Great times ahead.

Hitta93

Banned
Not sure what this post is saying.

Are you asking why people like Steam wouldn't bring their storefront to Xbox without taking a cut?

What?

I'm asking what's stopping MS from just taking the same cut or just a cut in general to allow these companies to sell their games(storefronts) through the XBLM?

I dunno about this.

When the comments about leaving it up to devs to make Scorpio-exclusives came out, I got real skeptical about how far this support for lower tiers in the chain will go. Then again, if they're following the smartphone/ipad model, that's probably the plan. Only support the platform until you can get away with not doing it anymore.

If Scorpio-only development takes off in a big way, your only choice is going to be to upgrade. Now that's fine, because it's a valid business strategy for selling the console, but I wish they'd drop the pretence.

PC still makes more sense if you want a platform with capacity for incremental upgrades. You've just got more options for getting games outside your specs range to work, unlike on fixed platform where you've just got to suck it up and buy the new one.

Let's call this what it is, Microsoft are starting a new cycle because they lost too much ground with the Xbox One. They're just trying not to piss off the people who bought the console in the first place and expected it to be good for a generation.

This, MS started like utter shit this gen but I will applaud them on how they turned the whole thing around. The Xbox One is like night and day.

213372bu

Banned
I'm asking what's stopping MS from just taking the same cut or just a cut in general to allow these companies to sell their games through the XBLM?

Well that cut is literally the money given to platforms, so that they operate.

Just like why Gamestop sells videogames.

Because they profit off of it.

Microsoft isn't going to let Steam sells games on the Xbone because they are profiteering off of sales that could go directly into their bank.

Steam isn't going to let Microsoft take up all/some of their cut just to be on the Xbone, especially after paying for the infrastructure and redesign for a console storefront.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I'm really loving the direction they're going.

It's actually made me want to get a Gaming PC/Laptop to Compliment my Xbox. Getting an Alienware tomorrow.

Add in the rumoured Phone streaming with the Bluetooth controller anywhere I go and HOT DAMN what a time to be a gamer.

I wonder they'll add the ability for a UWP game to be launched via Steam. I suspect that will really get devs on board. Sell them on making one version that launches on 2 platforms.

If they're now saying that Xbox is both console and Windows 10, how does it make sense to charge for Xbox Live Gold to play multiplayer on console, but not on Windows 10 apps?

Honestly is kind of cool how far they've come in regards to this. Even last year simultaneous releases for both Xbox and PC was kind of skeptically looked at on forums, people didn't really think it would be a thing for a LONG while. Now everything is cross platform. Seriously Gears 4, Forza, Scalebound all cross platform and running on PCs.

Nobody should ever have to bring out that massive list of broken Microsoft commitments to PC again. Now they just have to make the Windows Store worthwhile.

The rub highlighted in bold

Top Bottom