• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: 'Gaming Without Boundaries: Our Vision for the Future of Xbox'

I came away from their conference thinking that people should buy a PC instead of an XBOX.

Exactly, plus this whole boundaries nonsense annoys me a little. The xbox scorpio specs aren't even the best right now let alone in 2018. The biggest joke will be that their windows versions will look better than the scorpios!

SOR5

I came away from their conference thinking that people should buy a PC instead of an XBOX.

As long as you thought "oh golly, I want Windows 10" thats all they want, whether its installed on a box you made or a box they made

The biggest joke will be that their windows versions will look better than the scorpios!

This has been an industry thing since forever. No console released (or at least, in the last two decades) has been the absolute best of the best, but the good ones have been impressive, and the Scorpios specs are impressive

bbjvc

Really depend on what each customer want, if you don't have a decent pc yet and just want to able to play some of the games, xbox most likely still have a less entry cost than upgrade PC

bbjvc

Exactly, plus this whole boundaries nonsense annoys me a little. The xbox scorpio specs aren't even the best right now let alone in 2018. The biggest joke will be that their windows versions will look better than the scorpios!

Console will always outperform by a high end pc, but one can still prefer console because it's cheaper and its form factor

Knox

Have they said anything about their current console exclusives moving to Windows 10? I already have a beefy PC so I'm excited that they're moving in this direction, but it'd be cool if I could play some Halo.

SparkTR

Have they said anything about their current console exclusives moving to Windows 10? I already have a beefy PC so I'm excited that they're moving in this direction, but it'd be cool if I could play some Halo.

Sunset Overdrive's W10 port is apparently in development. I'd imagine Halo stuff will be over as well.

SOR5

? I already have a beefy PC so I'm excited that they're moving in this direction, but it'd be cool if I could play some Halo.

Halo 5's got a sort of appetizer edition coming out that runs Forge and Custom Games, and also supports crossplay with XB1. Halo 6 will be a Play Anywhere title

Tecnniqe

Banned
By looking at what Microsoft just did with cross buy and cross play it opens up so many possibilities for us as players. The fact that I can play on my high end computer with my $400 console friends is amazing to me. I can use my preferred way of playing with KB/Mouse and they can with a controller. Not to mention if I travel I can take my console with me and continue right where I left off.

More companies should follow suit.

They don't have to "counter" this. They're going a different path. Sony doesn't make PC games etc.

Well from the look of it (atm), Sony doesn't want to counter it. Both are doing their own thing.

This. People really need to drop Sony V MS mindset.

Its easy to look at things on a surface level and only see Xbox vs. Playstation

But Sony and Microsoft as whole companies? Their networks, goals and motives dont clash as much as people think

These. People honestly think that Sony operates on the same level as Microsoft, but in reality, they don't.

They don't really need to play the spec game when they can just as easily release PS5 with even far better specs than the scorpio in 2019 or 2020 at a much cheaper price.

c0de

These. People honestly think that Sony operates on the same level as Microsoft, but in reality, they don't.

They don't really need to play the spec game when they can just as easily release PS5 with even far better specs than the scorpio in 2019 or 2020 at a much cheaper price.

And then MS releases a Scorpio S in 2021 with far better specs for a much cheaper price. You are still in the counter argumentation.

c0de

I wasn't being sarcastic, I've been wanting them to realise this for years

I didn't think you were being sarcastic :) For MS it counts that you are a customer. A Windows 10 customer and a UWP customer. That is their plan :)

And then MS releases a Scorpio S in 2021 with far better specs for a much cheaper price. You are still in the counter argumentation.

Then Microsoft will be back to losing again.

The only reason why Microsoft's doing this, is because they're desperate after what had happened with Xbox One. But I can tell that what they're doing with Scorpio will do more harm than good. Average consumers won't be ready to immediately jump onto another console so soon after they had just gotten on board with Xbox One & PS4.

What Sony's doing with the Neo is the far opposite of what Microsoft's doing with Scorpio. They're being smart in waiting it out while still being focused on this gen until consumers are ready to jump into another console.

Ok so basically they are turning the XBOX into a PC while at the same time trying to leverage their XBOX brand into the PC market through Windows 10 and the WMP.

Can Linux and Vulkan please save me from this horrible future?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Well, I think for some players at least this is a good option.

Specific Xbox hardware had never been more irrelevant to me, but Microsoft's potential to access my software dollars is at a high.

This is the most interesting, but possibly overlooked (?) aspect of this E3 to me - Sony and MS are no longer competing quite so directly on quite the same strategic hymn sheet. MS has seemingly abandoned the idea of exclusively sustaining a standalone console platform, Sony is doubling down - for now at least. That's a pretty big development.

c0de

The only reason why Microsoft's doing this, is because they're desperate after what had happened with Xbox One. But I can tell that what they're doing with Scorpio will do more harm than good. Average consumers won't be ready to immediately jump onto another console so soon after they had just gotten on board with Xbox One & PS4.

What Sony's doing with the Neo is the far opposite of what Microsoft's doing with Scorpio. They're being smart in waiting it out while still being focused on this gen until consumers are ready to jump into another console.

So we are basically at the "Sony is smart", "MS is desperate" reasoning again? Either way, it will be interesting in the near future :)

Tecnniqe

Banned
Which numbers should I play today?

I don't get the negativity towards this. They are literally doing everything we asked them to do for years and you still give them shit for it.
Let's not pretend they can't make changes to the store for the better.

The fact more people can enjoy their first party titles and with those on console at that is awesome.
I don't have to turn on my Xbox to play gears horde mode or whatever, it's just a click away and I can enjoy it with KB/M or controller if I feel like it.

I can take my xbox with me on trips and still play with all my friends regardless of platform and I don't have to purchase the game again.

I want Sony to do the same but 90%* of GAF seems opposed to this and screams "Muh console port begging" simply for stating what they just did.
bullshit but probably close to truth number

What? Sony already confirmed that they going with smartphone cycle, and Neo is probably releasing before Scorpio. What the big difference between Neo and Scorpio, if they both be much powerful than ps4 and Xbox One, and backward and forward compatible with their predecessors?

cilonen

I like where they are going. I can buy in to their vision however I want to, be it Xbone S, PC or Scorpio and get playing,

Is this.... Is this consumer choice they are offering? Feels weird.

The sooner we get away from "the warz" the better and this feels like a big step. It almost feels like Microsoft, Sony and heck maybe even Nintendo once we find out what the NX is have room to do their own things and have a nice niche for themselves in their own right.

SOR5

I like where they are going. I can buy in to their vision however I want to, be it Xbone S, PC or Scorpio and get playing,

Is this.... Is this consumer choice they are offering? Feels weird.

The sooner we get away from "the warz" the better and this feels like a big step. It almost feels like Microsoft, Sony and heck maybe even Nintendo once we find out what the NX is have room to do their own things and have a nice niche for themselves in their own right.

The Warz will never stop

On the internet, there will always be somebody who actively seeks something you like just to shit on it, no matter how far away and detached they are from said thing

I think you can definitely soothe The Warz though, Rocket League will be funny to watch if everything goes through with that

So we are basically at the "Sony is smart", "MS is desperate" reasoning again? Either way, it will be interesting in the near future :)

I'm just saying, the masses doesn't care about who has the most power; It's all about the games. It's been proven time after time again each console generation.

What? Sony already confirmed that they going with smartphone cycle, and Neo is probably releasing before Scorpio. What the big difference between Neo and Scorpio, if they both be much powerful than ps4 and Xbox One, and backward and forward compatible with their predecessors?

What I mean by that, is that Microsoft's planning to move on from Xbox One as a whole for Scorpio while Sony continues on with the PS4 while offering the Neo as an option.

Sony already has a 40+ million install base with PS4 as it is, & they're not exactly ready for an entire new console generation yet. It's only been 2 & a half years since these consoles were released.

The fact that I can play on my high end computer with my $400 console friends is amazing to me. I can use my preferred way of playing with KB/Mouse and they can with a controller.
nice, cross play will allow PC users to play with M&Kb and still join with the consoles?
was this confirmed? (still catching up)

Hawk269

Whatever you are smoking, you need to cut back. You do realize that Sony has sent out NEO dev kits to developers right? You realize that Sony has documentation to devs that certain websites have gained access too? You realize Sony has already mandated by certain months THIS YEAR that devs have to have NEO patches/modes in games shipping as early as September of this year?

I know there are people that support whatever Sony does, but being oblivious to things Sony is doing with the NEO and then making comments that Sony is holding back and being smart is just naïve/delusional on your part.

c0de

I'm just saying, the masses doesn't care about who has the most power; It's all about the games. It's been proven time after time again each console generation.

The masses care where the games are best played. And the big sellers are still and even more 3rd party games. That is why Sony and MS buy marketing rights for 3rd party games like COD and Destiny.
Marketing deals and having the "best" versions of 3rd party games are big factors why consoles sell these days.

I think a lot of people are missing the point that crossplay is a trojan horse for the utter horseshits that are the UWP and WM. I've been baited into a Microsoft PC ecosystem once, and they conveniently decided to shut it down when they realized they weren't getting the marketshare they would like. Now I don't even know how if ever I can get my games back and play them. Never again. Crash and burn.

Console will always outperform by a high end pc, but one can still prefer console because it's cheaper and its form factor

My point is that all of their exclusives will be on pc too, so that comparison is valid. Xbox scorpio won't even have exclusives. Surely its better just buying a powerful pc? What are the advantages of getting a scorpio over a pc? Price? I highly doubt it will be price friendly and in terms of console sales thats what wins the day and probably why sony won't try and outdo the scorpio specs. Tbh they don't need to. The wii proved that the masses don't want an all powerful console, they want great games and experiences.

Whatever you are smoking, you need to cut back. You do realize that Sony has sent out NEO dev kits to developers right? You realize that Sony has documentation to devs that certain websites have gained access too? You realize Sony has already mandated by certain months THIS YEAR that devs have to have NEO patches/modes in games shipping as early as September of this year?

I know there are people that support whatever Sony does, but being oblivious to things Sony is doing with the NEO and then making comments that Sony is holding back and being smart is just naïve/delusional on your part.

I know that, it's the way that they're doing things that's different than what Microsoft's doing. Please see my reply to InquisitorAles.

The masses care where the games are best played. And the big sellers are still and even more 3rd party games. That is why Sony and MS buy marketing rights for 3rd party games like COD and Destiny.
Marketing deals and having the "best" versions of 3rd party games are big factors why consoles sell these days.

But people that have bought the PS4 this gen, aren't going to immediately abandon PS4, hop onto another platform & shell out even more money for it just because it's "more powerful," that's wishful thinking. And that's not even counting the Playstation brand being more powerful than the Xbox brand is worldwide.

My point is that all of their exclusives will be on pc too, so that comparison is valid. Xbox scorpio won't even have exclusives. Surely its better just buying a powerful pc? What are the advantages of getting a scorpio over a pc? Price? I highly doubt it will be price friendly and in terms of console sales thats what wins the day and probably why sony won't try and outdo the scorpio specs. Tbh they don't need to. The wii proved that the masses don't want an all powerful console, they want great games and experiences.

You don't even have to compare the two on a price point, the amount of productivity you can get out of a PC compared to a console is absurd. With no exclusives whatsoever why and who would ever buy a console, a Polaris/Zen armed mid tier PC will destroy the Scorpio before it launches.

c0de

I know that, it's the way that they're doing things that's different than what Microsoft's doing. Please see my reply to InquisitorAles.

But people that have bought the PS4 this gen, aren't going to immediately hop onto another platform & shell out even more money for it just because it's "more powerful," that's wishful thinking. And that's not even counting the Playstation brand being more powerful than the Xbox brand is worldwide.

There is no "but". I was contradicting your narrative. Now you are evading that discussion with the reasoning that people don't switch the platform. Which they did from last gen to this gen and that PS is a more powerful brand, which it is. But that wasn't the point.

That's an assured and confident road map for Xbox and W10 moving forward.

I'll be buying the majority of their first part output for the next 14/18 months and will be happy to take my gaming library onto Scorpio, whenever that releases.

It's a pretty positive outlook for the gaming division at Microsoft and I can't wait to learn more over the months ahead.

You don't even have to compare the two on a price point, the amount of productivity you can get out of a PC compared to a console is absurd. With no exclusives whatsoever why and who would ever buy a console, a Polaris/Zen armed mid tier PC will destroy the Scorpio before it launches.

I can also tell that there's going to be a lot of disappointed folks that truly believes that most 3rd party publishers are going to instantly take full advantage of what's inside of the Scorpio.

They're not going to up & abandon the 40+ million install base of PS4 while leaving money on the table, just to waste even a lot more money on getting the graphical versions of Scorpio games a lot bigger more so than the other versions. All they're going to be seeing, are incremental graphical increases. And the same will go towards Neo as well.

Leyasu

Banned

But people that have bought the PS4 this gen, aren't going to immediately abandon PS4, hop onto another platform & shell out even more money for it just because it's "more powerful," that's wishful thinking. And that's not even counting the Playstation brand being more powerful than the Xbox brand is worldwide.

But people abandoned Xbox en mass for the ps4. Same when they abandoned sony for the Xbox 360.... I suppose all that has stopped now because sony are smart right?

MaulerX

So to you, a game also being on the Windows 10 store doesn't count as an exclusive? To you, no one would ever buy their console because they would rather get a vastly superior Windows 10 PC to play said exclusives? Do you realize they got you either way?

But people abandoned Xbox en mass for the ps4. Same when they abandoned sony for the Xbox 360.... I suppose all that has stopped now because sony are smart right?

I suppose it only works one way to support the narrative. If anything, people have proven that they really don't have any hardcore allegiance to one or the other and ride the train that happens to be popular at the time.

Lanrutcon

If I was an Xbox gamer I'd be feeling very confused at MS's message.

Be excited for our shiny new upgraded console, but we're releasing all our shit on PC and aim to for the forseeable future as per our grand design.

So to you, a game also being on the Windows 10 store doesn't count as an exclusive? To you, no one would ever buy their console because they would rather get a vastly superior Windows 10 PC to play said exclusives? Do you realize they got you either way?

I realize that is their plan. I also realize I hate that plan and refuse to buy anything on their UWP trojan horses.

There is no "but". I was contradicting your narrative. Now you are evading that discussion with the reasoning that people don't switch the platform. Which they did from last gen to this gen and that PS is a more powerful brand, which it is. But that wasn't the point.

But that came 8 years after PS3 & 360, in which Microsoft squandered the chance for Xbox One to be even bigger than 360!

We're only two & a half years in where most consumers are just getting into the ecosystems. Thinking that they're going to immediately abandon PS4 for Scorpio just because it's more powerful is just silly.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I can also tell that there's going to be a lot of disappointed folks that truly believes that most 3rd party publishers are going to instantly take full advantage of what's inside of the Scorpio.

They're not going to up & abandon the 40+ million install base of PS4 while leaving money on the table, just to waste even a lot more money on getting the graphical versions of Scorpio games more so than the other versions. All they're going to be seeing, are incremental graphical increases. And the same will go towards Neo as well.

Games are created in higher fidelity than consoles can run so it's scaled down until they hit target performance.

Nobody's talking about abandoning here but you, in fact the Win10 thing only gains to make their stance stronger unless they majorly fuck it up.

Sony is only aiming for the console market while xbox is aiming for both and no matter if you get the game in console or PC you're still in their eco system.

I'm glad they did this. It gives us more choice. Say what you want but our can't argue that, and more options to decide where to enjoy your content is good.

c0de

And arm-chair developing... We should make a Bingo here. There is probably no one that will be disappointed because no one truly believes that 3rd party publishers will instantly take full advantage of what's inside of the Scorpio. But games will immediately look way better than the games on PS4 and Xbone(S). More fps, better textures, AF, AA, better LOD. The usual stuff PC games already have and the current consoles are lacking.

c0de

But that came 8 years after PS3 & 360, in which Microsoft squandered the chance for Xbox One to be even bigger than 360!

We're only two & a half years in where most consumers are just getting into the ecosystems. Thinking that they're going to immediately abandon PS4 for Scorpio just because it's more powerful is just silly.

Sorry, but nobody said anything about abandoning the PS4.
Your posts show that you only want to reiterate how safe Sony is and how desperate MS is and generally after tickling you are repeating what is the usual stuff we get to read when arguing with a certain kind of people.

jfoul

I'm excited about what MS is doing. Even though I have a gaming PC in the front room, I'll probably still buy the Scorpio for the UHD HDR Blu-Ray player, and cross play games I want to play competitive MP with controller. Next fall is perfect because I'll be updating my TV, A/V receiver, and PC for 4K.

Top Bottom