• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "I agree that MS needs to up our gaming presence on Windows."

Storm360

#StorefrontManagement

Someone please tweet that at him. It's really dumb that Windows hasn't embraced its open nature to act as a management service for all the digital distribution platforms I use. It would be nice to know what games I have on each service without having to launch them all individually.

#DrunkWorldProblems

If you don't know, Steam does have "Non-Steam" games, you could always add them into your steam library like that, you even still get the overlay, screenshots etc.

Of course though, this does require you to have them actually installed.

GFWL is the worst thing that happened to pc gaming, within a month, Dark Souls, Resident Evil 5, Universe at War and many others will be unplayable. How the fuck did devs once implement that in their games?

Thats also why I'm worried about my Steam purchases, it can go down the same way.
In the unlikely case Steam goes permanently down, they have measures in place to free the games from their DRM. You can ask Valve's customer service about it yourself and that's what they tell you. JaseC did this the last time it came up on some thread.
Though of course, Steamworks wouldn't be there anymore so no online play built on it.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
There's someone out there who likes GFWL more than Steam. Just when I thought I'd seen it all.

I actually like it as well. I don't use steam for anything other than Portal and Half life. GFWL at least gave me my friends list and achievements, and it didn't cost anything as I have had Live for 10 years. I can see how non live users would hate it, but I am not crazy about steam. No friends on it.

U-R

People defending GFWL makes me suppose that somewhere, somehow, there must be people really loving cancer.

I'm not sure i want to google-confirm this theory.

derFeef

It's quite amazing that people ignore this no matter how often it is getting pointed out. It might be small droplets, but those sure are good signs I think.

edit: like the post above me.

Derp

It's quite amazing that people ignore this no matter how often it is getting pointed out. It might be small droplets, but those sure are good signs I think.

edit: like the post above me.
I fail to see how this is any significant improvement from what they've been doing in the previous years.

Mr Git

If by 'presence' he means more MS published games on PC, sure. But after waiting for what seems like an eternity for GFWL to fuck off into the ether, I really hope they don't try another one.

I fail to see how this is any significant improvement from what they've been doing in the previous years.

Considering that they've been doing nothing in the previous years, it is an improvement either way. And a much more welcome one than bringing one or two XBLA games over to PC.

derFeef

It's an improvement over "doing nothing" like everyone claims - which is also false by the way. Plus they released two Xbox One games (one was actually pretty good) on the PC - and it got ignored pretty much instantly.

Derp

Considering that they've been doing nothing in the previous years, it is an improvement either way. And a much more welcome one than bringing one or two XBLA games over to PC.
Actually, they've been doing the exact same thing in the previous years. If not, more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Microsoft_Studios#Steam

If anything, it's gotten worse. Look at how long it's taken them to produce Xbox One controller drivers for PC. It's honestly shocking. Game-wise, there's really not much difference.

BibiMaghoo

What gaming presence?

Not bad considering where we are in the year.

Age of Mythology: Extended Edition
Happy Wars
LocoCycle
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Halo: Spartan Assault

Yes lol, some of them are old games

Sentenza

Weeell... while I appreciate that this is happening, re-releasing a bunch of very old games doesn't exactly strike me as some outstanding commitment to the platform.

Sure, it's a nice gesture, for a change, but they need to do more to convince people.

P44

An AAA PC game or multiplat from MS would be commitment. Rise of Nations is much appreciated (<3) but ultimately fairly low effort and fairly low impact.

Weeell... while I appreciate that this is happening, re-releasing a bunch of very old games doesn't exactly strike me as some outstanding commitment to the platform.

Sure, it's a nice gesture, for a change, but they need to do more to convince people.

We agree then. That's exactly what I said earlier in this thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114532723&postcount=271

I just think it's nonsense to say that they've been doing nothing. It's like saying "the PS4 has no games". The games that are on the platform might not be of your interest, but that doesn't mean there aren't there.

Azih

They were much nicer than they needed to be with Harebrained studios and the Shadowrun IP also. Got two great Shadowrun games out of it.

Grief.exe

Happy Wars
LocoCycle

I have been very impressed with Microsoft's output on PC.

They could be doing more, but I am satisfied with the effort recently.

Qassim

BibiMaghoo

I have been very impressed with Microsoft's output on PC.

They could be doing more, but I am satisfied with the effort recently.

I think it is easy for some to overlook what they do on PC, just because they are not putting their AAA Xbox games on Steam. It's understandable why, but maybe they should bring more of those older titles over now. It would benefit them PC sales wise, and potentially Xbox sales wise as well.

I guess we will see what they do. It seems daft for example, that Halo 3 is not on PC at this point.

If someone said that to me a couple of years ago I would be ecstatic. Right now, FFS, just stay on the Xbox, Microsoft. I've seen the damage that you've done when you tried that before, and to me that outweights the benefits (only one to me, the standardization of the xbox controller as the main controller on the pc).

If Phil brings back PC gaming relevance by either totally ignoring a client, or supporting Steam, then I think he's on the money.

If they want that whole walled garden thing going forward, I think they are missing the point.

Mrbob

MS recent PC releases have been Steamworks games. So I believe ms figured out where most PC games are sold.

Overdoziz

Banned
We can do better. Halo Master Cheif Collection on steam "only on Windows 8." Tell peolle they can play it on that cute Surface thingy in their ads featuring that song about being brave enough to buy MS products.
Only releasing it on Windows 8 is a good way to kill those games before they're even released.

What the heck? That guy has to be an MS employee or closely aligned with them. Fact being that Valve and Steam have damn near single handily revitalized PC gaming and provided a working centralized environment that promotes PC gaming growth sales and even a community.

What the hell did GFWL ever do other than cause issues and delete people's game saves?

dwells

How about building Xbox Live features into Windows 9 or the upcoming Windows 8.1 update then? Integrated friends list, voice and text messaging within the OS, ability to join parties, notifications, etc. as all options that people could turn on and have natively integrate with the OS?

Instead of making Live as a forced-DRM service like the abomination GFWL was, make it a feature-adding framework that's available to developers. Allow for achievements and information sharing, etc.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
why does phil word it as if he isnt working for ms as such

"i agree ms needs to up our gaming presence "

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
why does phil word it as if he isnt working for ms as such

"i agree ms needs to up our gaming presence "

Microsoft talks about themselves in the third person, much like Mengy does. Mengy doesn't think Microsoft is genuine with this statement, as Microsoft's history of actions leads Mengy to believe that Phil is just speaking empty PR talk here. But, Mengy is hopeful that someday Microsoft will embrace the gaming platform that they created with Windows. Maybe even combine it with their Xbox platform in a seamless yet consumer friendly manner, rather than what they tried with GFWL.

But Mengy doubts it.

Happy Wars
LocoCycle

Fable Anniversary just got announced too. Also, Undead Labs continues to support State of Decay (a MS IP) with DLC. Not too shabby, and they really seem to be trying to release games on Steam more regularly.

We need to wait and see more, but MS might actually mean it this time.

Microsoft talks about themselves in the third person, much like Mengy does. Mengy doesn't think Microsoft is genuine with this statement, as Microsoft's history of actions leads Mengy to believe that Phil is just speaking empty PR talk here. But, Mengy is hopeful that someday Microsoft will embrace the gaming platform that they created with Windows. Maybe even combine it with their Xbox platform in a seamless yet consumer friendly manner, rather than what they tried with GFWL.

But Mengy doubts it.

SeventhSon likes his chicken spicy.

Grief.exe

Fable Anniversary just got announced too. Also, Undead Labs continues to support State of Decay (a MS IP) with DLC. Not too shabby, and they really seem to be trying to release games on Steam more regularly.

We need to wait and see more, but MS might actually mean it this time.

You sure State of Decay is a Microsoft owned IP? Or just published under their indie label, see: Dust, Mark of the Ninja, etc.

Top Bottom