• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: "I know we have to take risks [after Scalebound cancellation],"

Per GameSpot:
Now, Spencer has spoken up again about Scalebound's cancellation. Writing on Twitter today (via DualShockers), Spencer vowed that Microsoft will continue to take "risks" with the game's it greenlights.

"I know we have to take risks," he said. "I realize right now probably sounds hollow but I agree."

In another tweet, Spencer said the cancellation of Scalebound won't stop Microsoft from signing third-party games in the future. At the same time, you can expect Microsoft to of course continue to invest in projects from its own studios as well.

"I won't abandon signing independent studio projects but I agree first-party internal studios are critical," he said.

Spencer also personally apologized for cancelling Scalebound. "It hurt me as well and to the community I apologize. I want everything we start to turn out great, to take risks, create diversity," he said.

Makes me wonder what they're planning next. 'Risks' is a pretty vague word, but it can be big.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
9QVUHTv.gif

Finaj

I hope MS actually starts to create more first-party studios now... because I don't know what else they can do.

hughesta

Banned
cancelling the most anticipated game on your console
according to Neogaf's poll ofc
sure is a risk so he ain't lyin

I mean it sounds hollow right now because it is. Most of the "risks' are even cancelled or shut down. Unless e3 has some out their new IPS or some niche ones

They haven't been.

Sign me up for a new ridge racer with that r1 feel Phil.

Give me a star fox since Nintendo won't. I'll also take a microsoft platformer since I'm not expecting most of those. Not feeling these big cinematic games so these things can compliment you well. Make games games again

JaggedSac

cancelling the most anticipated game on your console
according to Neogaf's poll ofc
sure is a risk so he ain't lyin

Well, I'm sure No Mans Sky was pretty anticipated as well. Doesn't mean it was going to be great. That last E3 showing was pretty garbage to be honest.

RoKKeR

I hope MS actually starts to create more first-party studios now... because I don't know what else they can do.

It's their biggest problem and was certainly amplified by Scalebound's cancelation.

That, or expand their existing/very talented studios (343, Coalition, Turn 10) and let them work on new IPs in edition to the platform staples. Shackling them to their existing franchise stifles creativity and makes the very risk taking Spencer is describing here harder to strive for.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wonder which game they'll cancel risk next.

Kyrios

I like Spencer and the work he's done since Mattrick was shown the door but you've voiced something I've been wondering since this whole Scalebound thing went down.

Echoes my thoughts as well.

I really like Spencer but sometimes I feel like he'll say something everyone wants to hear and then Microsoft just does the opposite.

Watching Microsoft's E3 conference this year is going to be a slightly awkward affair. New games will be announced and I'll be wondering if what is shown will actually ever see the light of day or not.

It's much better than his original response. His comment about the Scalebound cancellation "being better for Xbox gamers" kind of bugged me.

How about the risks of not having a Halo and gears game every few years by asking your franchise factories to start work on new IP?

Apathy

The one thing I hope people finally realize with Phil and the xbox team is that actions speak louder than words.

238320.gif

At this stage, announcing anything isn't even worth taking as good news. Will wait on a good anount of varied games before I consider buying an Xbox.

Xando

Have someone make Fable 4 (SP) and i believe you.

Imo Xbox is really missing the Mass Effects, Fables and other RPGs that made the 360 great early on

Top Bottom