• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer, Mike Ybarra and Shannon Loftis talk about Xbox One S, Scorpio & VR

mboojigga

Ah, i seen the article you added. That is crazy! Will they update that list with new UHD movies coming out?

For example, can they tell me if the Marco Polo Season 2 is real 4k? Or is deadpool? BvS? Wonder why some of them are shot in 5k but then 2k? interesting.....

Netflix Original series are all filmed in 4k from what I read.

we’re looking at a future market where Xbox One titles will feature VR modes and augmentations that will only be accessible to Scorpio owners – but not a future where we’ll see totally dedicated VR titles.

Well so much for using those 6 Teraflops for VR. Even Sony can do VR dedicated games and they only have 1 Teraflop to work with.

"We're"

That's MS view on it and for their own games. Doesn't mean devs can do full VR titles unless MS have some restrictions in place.

Well that sucks, Sony and Oculus are making VR full game exclusives and it definitely entices a VR purchase. Weren't we complaining about tiny "Experiences" VR modes a week ago? This is exactly what MS thinks on VR.

Doesn't bode well.

Dlacy13g

Wait a minute.... " From this summer’s update, PC titles like League of Legends, Dota and XCOM 2 are coming to Xbox Live and will have hubs on the console."

... I knew about Xcom 2 but when did League of Legends and Dota get announced for console? Is this old news? If so...how did I miss that?

Well that sucks, Sony and Oculus are making VR full game exclusives and it definitely entices a VR purchase. Weren't we complaining about tiny "Experiences" VR modes a week ago? This is exactly what MS thinks on VR.

Doesn't bode well.

We'll just have to see how the VR reacts when it's finally open to console users in the form of PSVr. I imagine if it's a huge success MS will be like

"What? Yeah fam we are totally making full VR games, check out my new Halo VR, it's totally lit!"

(Halo VR would be bretty cool if they could pull off the HUD well.)

Figments

Doesn't bode well.

Because, unlike Microsoft, Sony and Oculus both have VR headsets to sell to people.

Microsoft has HoloLens. Which has little to nothing to do with gaming at present (besides Minecraft, apparently).

icespide

Banned
Wait a minute.... " From this summer’s update, PC titles like League of Legends, Dota and XCOM 2 are coming to Xbox Live and will have hubs on the console."

... I knew about Xcom 2 but when did League of Legends and Dota get announced for console? Is this old news? If so...how did I miss that?

game hubs only. you can view the game and see users captures and shit but they won't actually be available on console

My Microsoft BS detector is going off. So why did Microsoft announce the Scorpio so far ahead of it's actual release?

“So sharing the vision with our creative partners and our internal teams, putting the tools and the capability out there, will lead to those breakthrough experiences.
Being able to detail our vision and talk about it here at E3 will kickstart those conversations, and I know you will see some of the best creators thinking through ideas just like that."

Oh I see. It's to let developers create new experiences which are only possible with the more advanced hardware. Oh but excuse me sir. You also said the following which directly contradicts that statement.

“Our commitment is to make sure every single game and every single accessory works across all of those platforms,” says Ybarra.

If all games must also run on existing hardware, then there are no new features that devs could create to take advantage of the Scorpio because if they did then those games could not run on the XB1. Both of these quoted statements can't be true and MS is lying yet again.

Dlacy13g

game hubs only. you can view the game and see users captures and shit but they won't actually be available on console

Ok, I guess that would make more sense in that there hadn't been an announcement. However...is the wording of "coming to Xbox Live and will have game hubs" make it seem like there could be more to this than just a game hub?

I have no idea what your talking about related to Vudu. What do you mean they are the only place that offers limited 4K streaming of movies?

Also, what difference does it make for example if a movie on Netflix streamed in 4K is 7GB an hour and 1080P is 3GB and hour? Plenty of consumers have highspeed and it is clear streaming is more popular than Blu-Ray disc since BR still hasn't surpassed DVD in the last 10 years. I stream 4K through my tv and YouTube. I have Comcast 150mb. Most consumers with Comcast have 75Mb which is more than enough for 4k streaming. 25Mb is enough to stream 4K.

Vudu only offers certain studios as 4K and the 4K version of the vudu app is exclusive to Vizio and the Roku 4K. Obviously streaming is more popular but people who want to take advantage of their high end tv will want UHD disc players. Also very limited streaming media takes advantage of HDR with all of the UHD Blu Rays do. This could all change in the future but it having the cheapest UHD player that is also a game console is a positive the S has.

Shin-Ra

If all games must also run on existing hardware, then there are no new features that devs could create to take advantage of the Scorpio because if they did then those games could not run on the XB1. Both of these quoted statements can't be true and MS is lying yet again.
They must be thinking of 'breakthrough experiences' that developers wouldn't be inspired to create without Scorpio, but will still run in some fashion on Xbone.

My Microsoft BS detector is going off. So why did Microsoft announce the Scorpio so far ahead of it's actual release?

Games can be written to scale based on the hardware its running on, you know.

They must be thinking of 'breakthrough experiences' that developers wouldn't be inspired to create without Scorpio, but will still run in some fashion on Xbone.

Then they don't need the Scorpio to promote it. Games are already being designed for PCs so if high end hardware was necessary to inspire those 'breakthrough experiences', then we already have it. Besides, where exactly do you think early games making full use of Scorpio would be developed? It'll be on PCs since Scorpio doesn't exist yet.

I think the more likely explanation for the early Scorpio announcement is to try to freeze the waters ahead of Sony's Neo. Microsoft doesn't have a counter for that ready any time soon so they are doing the only thing they can do. They are announcing a more powerful Scorpio to be released at a later date in the hopes that some potential Neo buyers will wait once it is released.

Also Microsoft already got stuck with the "less powerful console" label with the XB1 which is exactly contrary to their previous positioning of the Xbox brand. They need to erase that mistake as soon as possible. It doesn't matter that they don't actually have a console able to do that yet. If Microsoft didn't announce the Scorpio then the Xbox One S would be left hanging out there to compete against the Neo, and once again the Xbox would be viewed as the less powerful console.

Games can be written to scale based on the hardware its running on, you know.

So what. A scaling game isn't exactly what I'd call a 'breakthrough experience' now is it?

I think the more likely explanation for the early Scorpio announcement is to try to freeze the waters ahead of Sony's Neo. Microsoft doesn't have a counter for that ready any time soon so they are doing the only thing they can do. They are announcing a more powerful Scorpio to be released at a later date in the hopes that some potential Neo buyers will wait once it is released.

Also Microsoft already got stuck with the "less powerful console" label with the XB1 which is exactly contrary to their previous positioning of the Xbox brand. They need to erase that mistake as soon as possible. It doesn't matter that they don't actually have a console able to do that yet. If Microsoft didn't announce the Scorpio then the Xbox One S would be left hanging out there to compete against the Neo, and once again the Xbox would be viewed as the less powerful console.

Well, yeah. It's kind of obvious that's part of the reason why they announced it as early as they did.

There can be more than one reason, too.

dugdug

Banned

Mike Ybarra being disingenuous? Surely you jest!

;)

Jumeira

Banned
Then they don't need the Scorpio to promote it. Games are already being designed for PCs so if high end hardware was necessary to inspire those 'breakthrough experiences', then we already have it. Besides, where exactly do you think early games making full use of Scorpio would be developed? It'll be on PCs since Scorpio doesn't exist yet.

So what. A scaling game isn't exactly what I'd call a 'breakthrough experience' now is it?

Lots of wrong and frankly narrow view at what's going on. They want to be transparent Announcing Scorpio was to let purchasers know that there's a super powered console coming out, so the consumer can decide to save money they may have spent towards an S and put towards Scorpio. Imagine the outtrage of a new Xbox next year, this was the best move with a roadmap like this.

Well, those are retailing at $399. With Xbox One S, at $299, you’re getting 4K Blu-ray, a 4K upscaler for games and video

Are they realy using this wildcard?

Why not?

That said, right now MS only offers the 2 TB SKU, skimming them early adopters. Which apparently costs $399. And once the cheaper ones are available, PS4 Neo is around the corner, or already available.

There's nothing in this article about not supporting VR. It seems they just aren't doing another Kinect type situation where their development budget goes into something else at the expense of traditional gaming. Thank goodness.
He's not saying "it's the future of console gaming". He's not saying it's not a feature, either.
He's not saying the Scorpio won't do VR games.

"I see VR as something different" is his way of saying that VR games will be Scorpio-only (even though they've said all games will be compatible with all Xbox Ones).
OK, but as someone who is primarily interested in Scorpio for its possible VR applications (I am assuming there will be a partnership with Oculus Rift, and I would rather buy a Scorpio than build a new computer) it doesn't fill me with confidence that it's part of a well thought out plan. It sounded to me like Phil was just blowing the whole thing off.

mboojigga

Now, it's not unlikely that those who get the new one because of 4k playback are also equipped with a decent sound system.At least for now.

Based on what statistics? Because the big thing is Soundbars. Look at Best Buy ads and you see Soundbars promoted with 4K Tvs. Go look at Vizio.com and you see the same promotions. 4K playback will benefit 4K tvs because manufactures are not selling 1080p displays anymore. Specifically 4K UHD players are not guaranteed to be any more popular than Blu-Ray. Again we know now and then BR hasn't even surpassed DVD and yet streaming is more common than watching BR movies.

All this points to convenience. Same reasons why people buy consoles over building PC systems. wires were always the complaint of sound systems in homes. Wireless back speakers didn't work for true surround. Most apartments people can't enjoy surround due to surrounding neighbors. 4K isn't going to all of a sudden bring a jump in sales for disc or sound that Blu-Ray didn't do and we know that PS3 sold over 75-80 million consoles alone.

Anyone that thinks 4K disc are going to be a thing is like saying people are going back to CDs instead of digital from ITunes and Amazon.

c0de

OK, but as someone who is primarily interested in Scorpio for its possible VR applications (I am assuming there will be a partnership with Oculus Rift, and I would rather buy a Scorpio than build a new computer) it doesn't fill me with confidence that it's part of a well thought out plan. It sounded to me like Phil was just blowing the whole thing off.

It's not their primary focus but the console is open for the vr competition that is available on pc, meaning pc vr games will be available on consoles.

watership

Well, those are retailing at $399. With Xbox One S, at $299, you’re getting 4K Blu-ray, a 4K upscaler for games and video

Are they realy using this wildcard?

"Here is a feature. This box will do this feature"

"Wildcard!"

How is something that a device does, over other devices, a wildcard??

DesertFox

Oh I see. It's to let developers create new experiences which are only possible with the more advanced hardware. Oh but excuse me sir. You also said the following which directly contradicts that statement.

Well, the PR department probably told him that he wasn't allowed to answer with "We're releasing Scorpio to replace the terribly anemic hardware that my predecessor is responsible for."

Microsoft needs to get some more powerful hardware out there, they are just doing a really bad job of trying to tip-toe around saying anything that could incriminate themselves as leaving the Xbox One behind. I don't doubt that Scorpio titles could be made to run on Xbox One... but at what kind of cost to the experience?

I for one am ready to jump ship on the Xbox One and buy a Scorpio... but the millions of other people who bought an Xbox One may need more convincing. But if the "no one gets left behind" promises hold true, then that's pretty much a moot point.

Cynn

They're protecting the Xbox One S. I believe E3 time next year the story will be totally different on all fronts. You'll see VR partners and games plus "PC Parity" graphics talk all over the place for a while.

This is the quiet hype period where everything is "concept" and being "investigated". Next year will be the push for Scorpio as viable on it's own.

mboojigga

They don't care and don't have home theater setups, yet those same people have a 4k HDR TV and want to buy 4k blu-rays?

Uh yes. The statistics have shown that. This isn't something new just to people who are not paying attention to that. Replace what you say home theater setups with Soundbars(convenience) over the latest codecs. Consumers were struggling with 5.1 systems in their homes and we think they are going to jump to 9.1 speakers to take advantage of Atmos? Plenty of people bought 3dtvs and didn't give a shit about 3D. We all know how that turned out.

People in 2016 and beyond who want a new tv won't have a choice but to buy a 4K television since no one is making a 1080P displays just like they stopped making 720p displays and so on. Again, BR disc hasn't surpassed DVD but streaming has surpassed BR disc.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
About the blu ray player...

Thats why I said it would be so funny if they pull a Sony and it becomes popular. Sony did it with the PS1, PS2 and PS3. But especially the latter 2.

Top Bottom