• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nearly 50% of XB1 owners playing BC games

pr0cs

???
please explain, whatever you mean
I think 50% isn't far from accurate. Most people are going to try it once especially when it costs them nothing to see how it works.
I know that was how it worked for me, I saw an old game title in my "installable" titles and was like "cool, that's bc now, I forgot I had that game" then proceeded to see what it was like.
Maybe if they said 50% daily it would be difficult to agree but at least once I'd say 50% is more than reasonable

Cartho

Scorpio is just a more capable Xbox One though? Not a new generation.

Many people are getting their hopes up to sky high levels for Scorpio, predicting it to have a Zen based CPU before they're even officially out in semi custom configurations, to run all games at improved resolutions and framerates without patches, to make wild, generational leaps in image quality....

Basically people are going into full hype mode despite not really knowing much about it beyond Microsoft's PR and vague numbers like 320GB/s memory bandwidth and the fact that it's "even got 4k engraved on the main chip, to make the most beautiful pixels ever". And stuff.

I'm excited but keeping my hype in check until we actually get proof that it's not got an upclocked Jaguar CPU in it, because if it has it's just an Xbox One with a faster GPU - it will struggle with the same things PS4 Pro does: CPU heavy stuff like big, open worlds.

If it's got a Zen CPU? boom.gif.

Back OT:
I cannot see how anyone can criticise MS for it's BC system. It's phenomenal. I wish Sony would rethink their approach regarding PS Now etc. Surely emulation is possible in some way? Even if it's for specific games rather than a catch all. I know the Cell was a pretty bizarre chip but games that were out on Xbox 360 as well shouldn't be totally impossible to emulate should they?

It's a great feature but it seems to be a thing they have spoken loudest about since E3, that, NPD's and software updates.

They wasn't very giving in new game announcements this past E3 and it looks like fans will have to wait till E3 2017 to hear about some new games. That's my only problem, if you can call it that.

I get that it may frustrate you personally, but I think it's unfair for people to assume that this is a blanket problem for everyone. Lets be honest, last gen and current gen combined have enormous libraries with games that we all probably would have liked to get to but haven't been able to, or maybe even never heard of until recently.

I personally like huge features being added to a box that, frankly, folks considered to be an underpowered POS.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It really is the model people will expect from Sony and Nintendo, MS have done wonders with their implementation, leading the way for others to learn. Thanks BC team, you guys are incredible.

In all fairness to Nintendo, they had full BC in both the Wii and WiiU.

Chris1

Funny that everyone knows that if Sony announced a identical service for PS4 at E3 2017 that the same people making negative comments about this service would milk in their titty pants.

Free service.
You own it, you play it.
Gold not required.
Screenshots.
Cheevos.
Broadcasting.
Cross console Game saves (if u had gold on 360, it carried over).
Works on Xbox One/S/Scorpio (and presumably the console after that).

What can be negative, truly?
having to download the games can be a negative if you've got slow or data caps. But yeah. Considering it was deemed impossible 2 years ago I think it's a worthwhile trade off.

I think 50% isn't far from accurate. Most people are going to try it once especially when it costs them nothing to see how it works.
I know that was how it worked for me, I saw an old game title in my "installable" titles and was like "cool, that's bc now, I forgot I had that game" then proceeded to see what it was like.
Maybe if they said 50% daily it would be difficult to agree but at least once I'd say 50% is more than reasonable

i know. i just don't know what that persom wanted to tell us with the 10% is 50% compared to 100%, or whatever

we know nearly 50% of xbox one user played a 360 bc titel for a combined 200m hours in the first year. that puts the average at about 16.5 - 20h per user
(im going with ~22m xbox one +/- 10% to be on the safe side back at the end of october)

Spinluck

There's absolutely 0 exercise for the PS5 to not have BC. I've bought +100 games this gen. And have invested heavily in their ecosystem. If they don't include BC I'm bouncing.

I still keep my PS3 around because it's a vastly superior Bluray player, but that's about it.

Vormund

If PS5 isn't BC.....well fuck em. There isn't an excuse anymore.

With that said, I hope Scorpio brings improvements to BC. A resolution bump would be nice.

FStop7

Banned
PS Now was Sony's solution for BC unfortunately they didn't handle PS Now very well at all, and now they're kind of stuck.

N30RYU

Gold Member
PS Now was Sony's solution for BC unfortunately they didn't handle PS Now very well at all, and now they're kind of stuck.
Sony at this point should give. 1 Ps3 game, 1 Vita game, 1 Ps4 game. 1 PSVR game, 1 PSNow game and 1 free movie.
To make ppl navigate through all the ps ecosystem.

That way you make ppl give a try of psnow... and make them grow a backlog of VR tittles to push them buy the PSVR.

Salty Hippo

My only problem with sony's upcoming lineup is that it serves as a distraction from the fact that they don't support backwards compatibility. It's a great lineup and I'm not saying that Shu and co shouldn't play it up but i sure wish I could play my old games without having to pay for them again

see how little sense that made? That's about how much sense your post made.
There is no "problem." It's a good service. The fact that people are trying to spin the success of BC as a bad thing is so sad. If this was Sony instead of Microsoft I have a feeling many of the people calling this a "problem" would instead be saying "oh wow goes to show how much people want BC, good move Sony!" But since it's Microsoft we have people saying "lol Xbox has no games"

Backwards compatibility is a great feature. Many Xbox 360 games run better on the Xbox One, and you get so many benefits like game clips, screenshots, and streaming to twitch. It makes picking up a game you missed out on last gen super easy. There is literally nothing wrong about it. I hope Sony has backwards compatibility with their next console. I hope the Nintendo Switch has some sort of backwards compatibility. But when they do will all of these people say that it's "a problem," or a "distraction from a lack of games?" Well if you're going to be consistent I sure hope so, but I have a tough time believing that would happen.

The fact that I have had to defend this feature's success as a good thing at all is ridiculous. But I've already made several posts in this thread. Not commenting on the success but actually defending it because people somehow find it to be a bad thing. But I will defend it if need be. I love this service. I've already used it a lot and I will continue to use it in the future. Microsoft absolutely knocked it out of the park. It is phenomenal.

If your motivation to buy a new console is 50% new games and 50% games from the previous generation, then yes, both things are equivalent and you have a point. Newsflash though, the vast majority of gamers buy a new console first and foremost to play current gen games. And for those people the only thing that makes no sense here is that analogy you made.

If you really think backwards compatibility is bad then fine. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But if that's the case then I think you're insane.

And thanks for showing you didn't read my post.

Head.spawn

^Every time a BC game is announced, an angel gets it's wings plucked and a new IP gets cancelled?

I'm not sure I get your correlation and you had a 30 page thread to argue as much if you wanted, now you're just trying to push the same argument here.

If you like the PS4 lineup more, congrats. If you think you've already seen the entirety of MS's 2017 line up at last years e3 and are still trying to compare that to what Sony just announced a week ago; I don't know what to tell you. If they don't announce more games next year, you'll have a point.. which isn't likely.

I get that it may frustrate you personally, but I think it's unfair for people to assume that this is a blanket problem for everyone. Lets be honest, last gen and current gen combined have enormous libraries with games that we all probably would have liked to get to but haven't been able to, or maybe even never heard of until recently.

I personally like huge features being added to a box that, frankly, folks considered to be an underpowered POS.

I'm just saying what they have announced this year ,which if you look at it in terms of new games, isn't a lot. It's not good enough in my opinion considering they are so vocal about BC. It's a great feature but I'm a bit underwhelmed that it seems to be at the forefront of their announcements since E3.

Just my opinions dude , not speaking for anyone else. Other Xbox fans will agree or disagree, no problem with me.

ironcreed

Banned
There's absolutely 0 exercise for the PS5 to not have BC. I've bought +100 games this gen. And have invested heavily in their ecosystem. If they don't include BC I'm bouncing.

I still keep my PS3 around because it's a vastly superior Bluray player, but that's about it.

The least they could do is give us our PS3 library through PS Now, but nope. Not even that.

Bgamer90

Banned

If PS5 isn't BC.....well fuck em. There isn't an excuse anymore.

It would be a pretty major disappointment if the PS5 didn't have backwards compatibility. Ecosystems are becoming more important, and backwards compatibility is going to be expected by many due to the Pro out now and Scorpio coming soon.

I guess that's one of the few things that Microsoft has a better future in vs. Sony when it comes to console gaming; Microsoft is building a far more obvious/straightforward system for backwards compatibility for future Xbox devices than Sony is for their future Playstation devices.

WHOA THERE NELLIE. Shut the front door. When did they say this? That's very worrying if true. I feel like I may well do an eco system switch if Scorpio has a good launch. I want to build a digital library on console but there's no way in hell I'm going to start buying games digitally if I feel like they're going to be 100% useless 4 years later.

PS Now is an atrocious solution and it needs to die. Horribly. In a fire. Then Sony can focus on doing proper BC.
Sorry. I didn't mean as they already confirmed Ps5 will be a library reset, but cerny when speaking about the pro said something along these lines: The ps pro is not a new generation. A new generation is marked by a new cpu architecture, a software and accessory reset, and the pro is not that, it's simply a faster ps4 that you develop the same way as you would develop for a regular ps4. (on the smartphone so sorry for not providing a link).

So, while it doesn't confirm ps5 will reset everything, it does seems that for then a new generation means a reset.

RexNovis

Banned
Funny that everyone knows that if Sony announced a identical service for PS4 at E3 2017 that the same people making negative comments about this service would milk in their titty pants.

What are "titty pants" and where can I buy them?

Im hoping this is a mistype and not actually a thing that I'm somehow completely unaware of. Never can tell with kids these days

Phil Fish

Banned

Free service.
You own it, you play it.
Gold not required.
Screenshots.
Cheevos.
Broadcasting.
Cross console Game saves (if u had gold on 360, it carried over).
Works on Xbox One/S/Scorpio (and presumably the console after that).

What can be negative, truly?

Yeah but, Gold is required to move your 360 saves right? I really wish they would fix that shit. I don't want to pay to continue playing games I didn't finish from 360 on bone.

Head.spawn

Yeah but, Gold is required to move your 360 saves right? I really wish they would fix that shit. I don't want to pay to continue playing games I didn't finish from 360 on bone.

If you need a gold trial to do it, I'm sure someone here will be more than willing to provide one pro bono.

It's a great feature but it seems to be a thing they have spoken loudest about since E3, that, NPD's and software updates.

They wasn't very giving in new game announcements this past E3 and it looks like fans will have to wait till E3 2017 to hear about some new games. That's my only problem, if you can call it that.
They didn't have many announcements last E3 but they are having a incredible run of great games that can already make 2017 packed, specially since only a few are risky of missing the next year target.

More announcements are always welcome but there's definitely no shortage of games specially when it's possible that some games might just appear without being announced in big events like the new Valkyrie Chronicles or Nier with the producer all but confirming a Xbox version at a later date.

Listonosh

I mean, I always wanted a Dark Souls remaster, but being able to play DS1 on Xbox One is a pretty good compromise.

I was a pretty big digital buyer during the 360 era, so it's fun to watch my digital library get bigger with each new BC update

Top Bottom