• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nearly 50% of XB1 owners playing BC games

FyreWulff

I've always felt that this "ps3 architecture is very different" argument is a lame excuse, which is widely accepted by the public sadly. I am sure that ps3 architecture is very different than ps4. But i am also sure that a huge company with great know-how such as sony would find a way to implement bc to ps4, if they really wanted. But that would kill their very own ps now initiative obviously.

I'll give Sony an excuse on PS3. But PS1 and PS2? Nah. Naaaaah.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Cool. Hopefully more people give it a try and go back to some of the great games we got last gen. We need to let them know that this is important to us. It would be bloody brilliant if backwards compatibility became a permanent feature of console gaming once again.

Outrun

Even if it is, that doesn't excuse no PS1 and 2 emulation. Sony's had that available forever and they just said "LOL nope!"

And people defend that decision to the death for reasons I still don't understand.

I am hoping that with the PS5, Sony could just brute force emulation to make PS1-4 games compatible.

The BC envy is real. I hate that Sony abandoned it last gen. It honestly was one of the reasons I chose PS2 and especially especially 3.

Now that my replacement PS3 does not play PS2 games and PS4 does not play PS3 games I need to have three consoles to do what one probably could do.

black070

Cool. Hopefully more people give it a try and go back to some of the great games we got last gen. We need to let them know that this is important to us. It would be bloody brilliant if backwards compatibility became a permanent feature of console gaming once again.

Yup, like I said earlier - the precedent it sets in the console space is the most important thing here.

I am hoping that with the PS5, Sony could just brute force emulation to make PS1-4 games compatible.

Even MS detractors should hope that BC on XBox is a continued success so that Sony will realize that customers see value in it.

I mean technically nothing is stopping Sony from brute forcing PS1 & PS2 games on the PS4 alongside PS NOW. They just choose not to.

FyreWulff

Even MS detractors should hope that BC on XBox is a continued success so that Sony will realize that customers see value in it.

I mean technically nothing is stopping Sony from brute forcing PS1 & PS2 games on the PS4 alongside PS NOW. They just choose not to.

Well, in fact they already have PS2 games. But they made everyone re-buy them, even if they owned them digitally on the PS3.

PS1 isn't hard to do. Hell the Dreamcast was already doing it. Actually, now that I think about it, I think every single console since the Playstation has emulated at least one PS1 game officially, except the PS4 and One. We had Megaman Racing on GameCube and Xbox as part of the Megaman Collection, and Symphony of the Night on 360 and PS3, and Bleem! for Dreamcast, and I'm almost sure the Wii had one as well.

jaypah

You missed the free vacations post, did you?

It's never too late to shitpost.

Man, I hope Sony has PS1-PS4 for the PS5 just to see the tear-jerking nostalgia inducing montage commercial they put together. All those years of PS games on one console? You know that commercial would be dope as fuck!

black070

Well, in fact they already have PS2 games. But they made everyone re-buy them, even if they owned them digitally on the PS3.

The PS4 versions do differ in supporting full 1080p (/60fps ?) and trophies. Would be outrageous if they were charging for the exact same license.

jaypah

The PS4 versions do differ in supporting full 1080p (/60fps ?) and trophies. Would be outrageous if they were charging for the exact same license.

Be nice if they offered the games you already paid for for free, had the premium version that you could buy or offer an upgrade to the premium version for a small fee. They'd still make money and it would be a nice gesture.

FyreWulff

Same framerate, if a game runs faster that's just from emulators tending to not be cycle accurate and smoothing out dips from brute force.

Trophy support is just watching memory addresses. They never touch the original game's code, and I think people would be fine if they just got to play their games and trophies were just a paid add on or something.

leeh

Yes it is a success, just not as big of a success as I imagined. Like I've said it's hard to ignore the BC games if you're an Xbox One owner, because you get two of them for free every month and a lot of "desirable" 360 games (like RDR) have also become BC.
What did you imagine? I'm struggling to believe that people had their expectations so high for this when the common consensus on here was the opposite.

It's such a good system that if PS5 isn't fully BC with PS4 with all my games accessible then I won't buy it. And I'm saying that as a loyal PlayStation fan. I'll switch to Xbox as I feel like they're committed to making the whole "one ecosystem" type thing.

I'm optimistic PS5 will be BC with PS4 though. They'd be insane not to. Surely.
I do agree that it would be insane on their part. But at the same time they didn't even allowed an cpu upclock on the pro a d they already have talked about ps5 being a library reset.

I do think that for ps5 going forward they will make sure development is more device agnostic, but then again, they could do something about ps1 or ps2 and the result is having you rebuying everything so who knows.

SpecX

Even if it is, that doesn't excuse no PS1 and 2 emulation. Sony's had that available forever and they just said "LOL nope!"

And people defend that decision to the death for reasons I still don't understand.

Didn't the PS3 have issues running the software emulation for PS2 games? Not excusing their decision on this, but I think Sony has settled with PS Now in order to make some money off backwards compatibility these days.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Didn't the PS3 have issues running the software emulation for PS2 games? Not excusing their decision on this, but I think Sony has settled with PS Now in order to make some money off backwards compatibility these days.

PS now is a god awful solution. Whoo. PS3 games streamed for a price so now you can pay to play your old games except with artifacting and massive input lag.

Just how I always wanted to play VF5.

Synth

The PS4 has some PS2 games playable, and they run far better than they could on a PS2... but you have to rebuy them, even if you bought the same game digitally last gen.

So yea, it's definitely not a valid excuse.

JP

I think it's a fantastic service that's been handled so well by them so this is really good news.

I've always wanted backwards compatibility on my consoles but I am, however, one of those people that the official thread was named in honour of. Whenever they release something that I do want, I do try the games but I just have so much current stuff to play that this stuff doesn't get the time it probably deserves from me.

That's in no way a criticism of how they deal with this stuff, as I said, I think it's fantastic even though I don't really get any use out of it.

PeterGAF

Banned
My only problem with BC is that it serves as a distraction for the actual shortcomings in Xbox's line up. I feel that for the past 18 months most of the excitement around Xbox has been about BC announcements. It's a great service, I'm not saying Spencer and co. shouldn't play it up, but I sure wish there was more to look forward to at this point in terms of software.
My only problem with sony's upcoming lineup is that it serves as a distraction from the fact that they don't support backwards compatibility. It's a great lineup and I'm not saying that Shu and co shouldn't play it up but i sure wish I could play my old games without having to pay for them again

see how little sense that made? That's about how much sense your post made. There is no "problem." It's a good service. The fact that people are trying to spin the success of BC as a bad thing is so sad. If this was Sony instead of Microsoft I have a feeling many of the people calling this a "problem" would instead be saying "oh wow goes to show how much people want BC, good move Sony!" But since it's Microsoft we have people saying "lol Xbox has no games"

Backwards compatibility is a great feature. Many Xbox 360 games run better on the Xbox One, and you get so many benefits like game clips, screenshots, and streaming to twitch. It makes picking up a game you missed out on last gen super easy. There is literally nothing wrong about it. I hope Sony has backwards compatibility with their next console. I hope the Nintendo Switch has some sort of backwards compatibility. But when they do will all of these people say that it's "a problem," or a "distraction from a lack of games?" Well if you're going to be consistent I sure hope so, but I have a tough time believing that would happen.

The fact that I have had to defend this feature's success as a good thing at all is ridiculous. But I've already made several posts in this thread. Not commenting on the success but actually defending it because people somehow find it to be a bad thing. But I will defend it if need be. I love this service. I've already used it a lot and I will continue to use it in the future. Microsoft absolutely knocked it out of the park. It is phenomenal.

If you really think backwards compatibility is bad then fine. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. But if that's the case then I think you're insane.

There's a ton of folks in this thread trying incredibly hard to hate on MS for this, but the feature is wonderful and I honestly use it quite a bit. I've thoroughly enjoyed being able to play the vast majority of my XBLA games again, in addition to the handful of 360 games I didn't get to before donating my 360 to a friend of our family.

I'm stunned that Sony doesn't have a similar feature in the pipeline for PS4 at this rate. Personally, I'd like to go finish Yakuza 4 and 5, but I traded my PS3 up for my PS4. If they'd at least put them on PS Now, I'd be happy to rent them, but I can't even get them there. Oh well.

Beegeous

I wonder if this counts people who've only tried BC once, who've downloaded a BC game with GWG or who've got Rare Replay, and if so what contribution they make to the total BC users.

GoaThief

Congratulations MS, Red Dead Redemption is downloaded and ready to go. I gather its the best version? Despite owning a disc copy somewhere I did recently purchase this digitally on XB1 so I wonder if sales of previous generation titles have been given a new lease of life. Hopefully so as surely it will encourage publishers to give the green light on currently non-BC titles?

Given backwards compatibility is confirmed to be working on Scorpio I hope this becomes a core feature in future hardware. Such a compelling and well implemented feature.

Is that because they aren't releasing any worthwhile games?
Oh God.

BC is a nice to have feature, but it is not a selling feature. This reminds me when a very similar argument was used to state the importance of multimedia features on gaming consoles. Statistics were trotted out showing how people used their gaming systems more for multimedia than for gaming. We saw how well the multimedia features went towards selling the XB1. Hint: It was a non factor.

BC is a great feature that is so far down the list of requirements for a gaming console that is has next to zero impact on the buying decision.

Synth

We saw how well the multimedia features went towards selling the XB1. Hint: It was a non factor.

Maybe that's because everyone else had "good enough" media features too?

Sell a console that can't do Netflix, YouTube or play a DVD etc, and then you'd have some valid statistics.

c0de

BC is a nice to have feature, but it is not a selling feature. This reminds me when a very similar argument was used to state the importance of multimedia features on gaming consoles. Statistics were trotted out showing how people used their gaming systems more for multimedia than for gaming. We saw how well the multimedia features went towards selling the XB1. Hint: It was a non factor.

BC is a great feature that is so far down the list of requirements for a gaming console that is has next to zero impact on the buying decision.

I guess I'm not the only one that with the addition of games via a subscription and the digital nature of console gaming that has a certain backlog growing.
When a “next gen“-console releases, you can easily sell your old console while not losing the entire library. Use that money for the new console and try to find the best way to finish your backlog and enjoy new games...
I think that *not* having bc in the next cycle will make people *not* buy a console.

GoaThief

There are examples of this statement being simply incorrect in this thread so I'm not sure you should be using such strong statements?

There's a ton of folks in this thread trying incredibly hard to hate on MS for this, but the feature is wonderful and I honestly use it quite a bit. I've thoroughly enjoyed being able to play the vast majority of my XBLA games again, in addition to the handful of 360 games I didn't get to before donating my 360 to a friend of our family.

I'm stunned that Sony doesn't have a similar feature in the pipeline for PS4 at this rate. Personally, I'd like to go finish Yakuza 4 and 5, but I traded my PS3 up for my PS4. If they'd at least put them on PS Now, I'd be happy to rent them, but I can't even get them there. Oh well.

It's a great feature but it seems to be a thing they have spoken loudest about since E3, that, NPD's and software updates.

They wasn't very giving in new game announcements this past E3 and it looks like fans will have to wait till E3 2017 to hear about some new games. That's my only problem, if you can call it that.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I think most games in the 360/PS3 era look good enough, that it isn't jarring at all to go back to them. I am playing through Blue Dragon in BC because I never played it before, and I never feel like I am playing an old game. The visuals are clean and cute and I never feel like I am playing an "old" game.

Having all games start to discard the idea of generations and just be part of my xbox library is a glorious future and I hope it works out.

rrc1594

It's a great feature but it seems to be a thing they have spoken loudest about since E3, that, NPD's and software updates.

They wasn't very giving in new game announcements this past E3 and it looks like fans will have to wait till E3 2017 to hear about some new games. That's my only problem, if you can call it that.

That's fair but I think it's because Scorpio they held back on new announcements.

Cartho

I do agree that it would be insane on their part. But at the same time they didn't even allowed an cpu upclock on the pro a d they already have talked about ps5 being a library reset.

WHOA THERE NELLIE. Shut the front door. When did they say this? That's very worrying if true. I feel like I may well do an eco system switch if Scorpio has a good launch. I want to build a digital library on console but there's no way in hell I'm going to start buying games digitally if I feel like they're going to be 100% useless 4 years later.

PS Now is an atrocious solution and it needs to die. Horribly. In a fire. Then Sony can focus on doing proper BC.

statham

I wonder if this counts people who've only tried BC once, who've downloaded a BC game with GWG or who've got Rare Replay, and if so what contribution they make to the total BC users.

several months ago they said something like 200 million hours played on BC, that worked out to roughly if every Xbox owner played for almost 10 hours, or with 50% attach rate, 20 hours for every system that that downloaded a BC game. Thats pretty damn great numbers.

Malice215

If you consider how things looked when MS first started working on BC to now, the progress has been amazing. I was going to wait for Scorpio, but now I'm going to pick up a Xbone this weekend. It's a shame to see people downplay its importance on modern hardware.

All I need now is Burnout Revenge.

If you consider how things looked when MS first started working on BC to now, the progress has been amazing. I was going to wait for Scorpio, but now I'm going to pick up a Xbone this weekend. It's a shame to see people downplay its importance on modern hardware.

All I need now is Burnout Revenge.

I NEED Burnout Revenge. It's the game I miss most on 360. VF5 was number 1.

Zedox

Funny that everyone knows that if Sony announced a identical service for PS4 at E3 2017 that the same people making negative comments about this service would milk in their titty pants.

Free service.
You own it, you play it.
Gold not required.
Screenshots.
Cheevos.
Broadcasting.
Cross console Game saves (if u had gold on 360, it carried over).
Works on Xbox One/S/Scorpio (and presumably the console after that).

What can be negative, truly?

Funny that everyone knows that if Sony announced a identical service for PS4 at E3 2017 that the same people making negative comments about this service would milk in their titty pants.

Free service.
You own it, you play it.
Gold not required.
Screenshots.
Cheevos.
Broadcasting.

Nothing. People are just trolling.

Jumeira

Banned
I think it's a fantastic service that's been handled so well by them so this is really good news.

It really is the model people will expect from Sony and Nintendo, MS have done wonders with their implementation, leading the way for others to learn. Thanks BC team, you guys are incredible.

GHG

Gold Member

Free service.
You own it, you play it.
Gold not required.
Screenshots.
Cheevos.
Broadcasting.

I'd worry about the future of the gaming industry with everyone playing all these old games instead.

;)

Top Bottom