• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nearly 50% of XB1 owners playing BC games

Salty Hippo

My only problem with BC is that it serves as a distraction for the actual shortcomings in Xbox's line up. I feel that for the past 18 months most of the excitement around Xbox has been about BC announcements. It's a great service, I'm not saying Spencer and co. shouldn't play it up, but I sure wish there was more to look forward to at this point in terms of software.

watdaeff4

My only problem with BC is that it serves as a distraction for the actual shortcomings in Xbox's line up. I feel that for the past 18 months most of the excitement around Xbox has been about BC announcements. It's a great service, I'm not saying Spencer and co. shouldn't play it up, but I sure wish there was more to look forward to at this point in terms of software.

We've been down this road.

There is still plenty of software for most people to enjoy on it. If there isn't for you, do you own other options to satisfy those desires?

If yes - then play them. If not, you should look into investing in one of those options

Izuna

Banned
If I want to play Xbox 360 games, I have a console for that and it's the Xbox 360. ;p

But there are some games which run better on the XB1 compared to the 360...

I haven't tried any backward compatible game on the XB1 and apart from Rare Replay, I don't think I ever will. MAYBE, I might play the Mass Effect games.

Having the option there is good for those who no longer have a 360 or just want to get rid of the console. Can't hate on that.

Some game play better, like Blue Dragon.

Another thing is that you get to use the Xbone controller with them, use GameDVR etc.

I get so excited to play certain games again.

18 months? Really?

They have a separate team for BC.

I think the implication that we can take our games forward with us to the next Xbox is looking forward.

Kudos to the BC team, doing a great job and BC might be the only reason for me to get a XB1S in the future. Keep up the good work!

Edit: Just in case, this is sincere and not sarcasm, lol. Some posts in this thread man. Shame on you guys.

Novocaine

Yup.

On the 360 I still play The Saboteur, NFS Undercover, Midnight Club, Red Dead Redemption...I could go on.

Still might play GTA 4 again at some point.

Hopefully every 360 game makes the BC list.

They said it's the goal to have everything but the 360 Kinect stuff. Not sure how much demand there is for Kinect games anyway though.

trixx

It's a dope feature, I mean I never had a 360 so thanks to it I can play the entire gears collection, I have forza horizon, also have burnout paradise, a bunch of rare replay games etc..

For some reason, dark souls isn't amongst the games available in Canada? I couldn't find it in the Canadian store and I dont even think my friend could play via disk on his xbone. Not sure though

"Free" xbone games and 360 backwards compatible games every month is cool with me to be honest. Makes xbox live worth it imo

see5harp

It still doesn't play every bc game so no, it's not the best.

I should have clarified. I meant software BC. Even still if you consider that the core featureset was the same last gen with the 360, it becomes that much more important moving forward. If simple BC was simply acceptable, then Sony wouldn't be spending the time to add trophies to PS2 games in an attempt to sell them again. They'd just sell them as is.

MaulerX

Even if you have a 360, it's pretty great playing games at better performance. Red Dead runs much better than the 360 version.

Not only that but you gain all the cool XB1 features that are just not available on the 360. Taking snapshots, recording videos, streaming etc....

Justinh

Not only that but you gain all the cool XB1 features that are just not available on the 360. Taking snapshots, recording videos, streaming etc....

OMG yes! I'm so happy that the capture stuff that works on Xbox One also works on Xbox 360. I'm sure there were times I did something I thought was cool that I wish I could've recorded somehow. I've never owned a capture device.

Cartho

It's definitely a superb system. I'm really hoping PS Now will die. Then Sony can give up on the whole "streaming is the best way to play old games" bullshit and make a proper BC system. Streaming games is shit for the majority of people who don't have a fibre cable plugged straight into the back of their head.

I mean I live in a town centre in the UK and fibre is on its way but not here yet, so I am stuck with 20mb down broadband over a copper wire.

PS Now when I tried the test was 100% unplayable.

Putty

Im not into playing old games per se...but knocking BC? WOW! Clearly there are many peeps who enjoy, and it's great the some games are often improved...

Upinsmoke

I've had a strange experience with the bc on xbox one with gears of war, especially number 2, there's a really strange shimmering effect especially on edges of buildings and stuff.

Aside from that it's still a handy feature if you ever wanna hop back in and play some older stuff

kamandi

I've always felt that this "ps3 architecture is very different" argument is a lame excuse, which is widely accepted by the public sadly. I am sure that ps3 architecture is very different than ps4. But i am also sure that a huge company with great know-how such as sony would find a way to implement bc to ps4, if they really wanted. But that would kill their very own ps now initiative obviously.

big_z

I use the backwards compat for games I've missed like ssx. I would really like them to add Catherine already, I want to replay the game.

Hesemonni

Banned
I've always felt that this "ps3 architecture is very different" argument is a lame excuse, which is widely accepted by the public sadly. I am sure that ps3 architecture is very different than ps4. But i am also sure that a huge company with great know-how such as sony would find a way to implement bc to ps4, if they really wanted. But that would kill their very own ps now initiative obviously.
It's widely accepted, because it's true :/

StereoVsn

This thread legitimately is making me thinking of getting Xbone S. I really have 0 need of it otherwise but the idea of going back to some of the better games like the original RPGs is appealing. Wonder if Vesperia makes it in.

StereoVsn

It's widely accepted, because it's true :/
Yeah, there is 0 chance of reproducing Cell emulation on PS4 CPU. That said as a customer I am truly unhappy about Sony's treatment of BC at the least about PS1 and PS2 games. Hell, they still don't have the PS3 feature of transferring games to a Vita (what's a Vita I guess).

It just shows MS efforts in even better light. RDR would be great to replay as PS3 version has issues.

Card Boy

Banned
The feature was a system seller to me and what got me to buy a Xbone. I play Black Ops afew times a week. Still over 20K people daily 6 years on.

Dabanton

Those first few pages are a disgrace. And it always seems to be Xbox one themed threads that get it worst. Happy to see shitposters are finally getting thrown to the bushes.

Anyway on topic. Xbox One BC for me is a great feature, MS could have just got the games working semi well and left it there the fact that some games have bette frame rates is just amazing.

The PS360 gen had so many great games that I never got the time to get into and or I brought tons of digital only titles like Every Extend Extra and Splunky that I can now have on my main console easily accessible on one box and it means one less console under my TV

I don't see how anyone can try and make this a negative.

Also MS, I'm still waiting for Max Payne 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist BC

c0de

The mad men just emulated full Win10 on ARM chips. Wizards as fuck.
Yes, that is really awesone. They are really into emulation currently and it's a given that from now on, bc will be with every xbox (although Scoprio could be the last, but still...).

Jumeira

Banned
This isn't a real concern, BC has nothing to do with MS output. What a bizzare thing to say, like a lot in this thread, there isn't one argument you can use against BC.

Cranster

Banned
Backwards Compatibility really makes me happy to have purchased an Xbox One in alot of ways. I purchased quite a few games last generation for the Xbox 360 and the fact that almost all of them now work on the Xbox One means I get to keep playing them even without my 360.

Rourkey

The best bit about BC is seeing all the digital games you bought on XB360 magically appearing in your uninstalled games list

The games look surprisingly good when up scaled on my 4k TV

Dont know why Sony fans have to hate so much tbh

Raide

The game I want BC will never come out.... Too Human ☹

Other than that, the BC service is great. Love seeing new games appear and the spike in activity on older and forgotten titles.

OG Xbox Stuff Next!!

Oh man, I was a big 360 guy and skipped the One. Getting back into it with Scorpio so that'll give me my 360 backlog and collection, all the One games and whatever they do with Scorpio. Can't wait!

MaulerX

The best bit about BC is seeing all the digital games you bought on XB360 magically appearing in your uninstalled games list

The games look surprisingly good when up scaled on my 4k TV

Dont know why Sony fans have to hate so much tbh

That's exactly what makes BC 360 games on XB1 so much more appealing and makes you value BC more than ever. Protecting your digital purchases. Never before has protecting digital purchases on a console being an issue. And if it seems like people are making a bigger deal about BC now it's because it is. Seeing the games you already purchased just pop up there is super gratifying.

Staf

I've had all the Playstations since the first one. I like PS4 but a feature such as this is on the top of my want-to-have list.

c0de

That's exactly what makes BC 360 games on XB1 so much more appealing and makes you value BC more than ever. Protecting your digital purchases. Never before has protecting digital purchases on a console being an issue. And if it seems like people are making a bigger deal about BC now it's because it is. Seeing the games you already purchased just pop up there is super gratifying.

It is reaching a point where it doesn't make any difference if the game is "native" or emulated, besides the fact that you see the boot logo of a 360 and yes, it is of course super convenient. Especially for people who didn't buy into next-gen yet, for people who have a huge backlog and bought games digital (which isn't surprising, considering you get 2 games on 360 each month and since a long time, all of them are bc).

xrnzaaas

I assume we're talking about people playing BC titles regularly? Because that wouldn't be a good percentage if they counted all the people that have booted a BC game at least once.

watdaeff4

I assume we're talking about people playing BC titles regularly? Because that wouldn't be a good percentage if they counted all the people that have booted a BC game at least once.

They are talking about at least once.

Just for discussion's sake - what would you consider a "good percentage?"

Top Bottom