• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Nearly 50% of XB1 owners playing BC games

xrnzaaas

They are talking about at least once.

Just for discussion's sake - what would you consider a "good percentage?"

I don't know, maybe around 70. You get free BC games every month (assuming you're a Gold member ofc) and a lot of people probably still have their 360 collections. And you can't forget that 360 games are cheap so you may be easily convinced to buy them if you didn't play them on a 360.

watdaeff4

I don't know, maybe around 70. You get free BC games every month (assuming you're a Gold member ofc) and a lot of people probably still have their 360 collections. And you can't forget that 360 games are cheap so you may be easily convinced to buy them if you didn't play them on a 360.

Thanks for the response.

I don't think 50% is bad, but I see where you are coming from.

Yoday

That's exactly what makes BC 360 games on XB1 so much more appealing and makes you value BC more than ever. Protecting your digital purchases. Never before has protecting digital purchases on a console being an issue. And if it seems like people are making a bigger deal about BC now it's because it is. Seeing the games you already purchased just pop up there is super gratifying.
Indeed, it's a huge issue for me personally. I was a hardcore Sony guy at the beginning of this generation, but XBO BC got me looking the other way in a big way. The moment Sony announced PS2 classics on PS4 was the moment they lost me as a customer. That BS along with a complete lack of PS1 classics support was all I needed to see that Sony has zero interest in honoring past purchases. It boggles my mind that people still expect the PS5 to have PS4 BC, when Sony doesn't even take the time to emulate PS1 games that had a working emulator on the PSP.

More than anything else X360 BC has made me more confident that MS will do whatever they can to maintain my games library in the future, and no resolution difference in modern games can make up for that.

I never would have expected this level of long-term support of a "niche" feature. Kudos to Xbox for giving some reassurance of prolonging our gaming investment. This is going to make me buy so many 360 games I missed out on.

leeh

I assume we're talking about people playing BC titles regularly? Because that wouldn't be a good percentage if they counted all the people that have booted a BC game at least once.
Well, considering 200m played and then this figure, can't we just accept that BC has been a success and that all the remarks around no-one uses BC to be wrong?

Cartho

It's such a good system that if PS5 isn't fully BC with PS4 with all my games accessible then I won't buy it. And I'm saying that as a loyal PlayStation fan. I'll switch to Xbox as I feel like they're committed to making the whole "one ecosystem" type thing.

I'm optimistic PS5 will be BC with PS4 though. They'd be insane not to. Surely.

Polygon said:
"If you're backwards compatible, you're really backwards," said Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Xbox division.

According to Mattrick, only 5 percent of players use a new system to play games from a previous generation, which means that it didn't make sense for Microsoft to invest in backward compatibility for Xbox One. The new console does not support Xbox 360 games or accessories, although users will be able to carry over non-game content like music, movies and TV shows that they have purchased on Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 features limited support for Xbox games through software emulation.

Numbers from my ass, by Donnie M.

black070

It's such a good system that if PS5 isn't fully BC with PS4 with all my games accessible then I won't buy it. And I'm saying that as a loyal PlayStation fan. I'll switch to Xbox as I feel like they're committed to making the whole "one ecosystem" type thing.

I'm optimistic PS5 will be BC with PS4 though. They'd be insane not to. Surely.

I think so too, the hardware should transfer over a lot more easily unlike PS3 -> PS4, and it's a given that Xbox consoles from now going forward will support it, so they'd be knowingly putting themselves at a disadvantage unlike this gen. It's personally not a big factor for me, hell I bought the XB1 before BC was introduced, but I do think it's a good precedent to set in the console space that has absolutely zero negatives to it.

Discusguy

Thank MS for the external HDD support because of BC titles for XB1. BC and external HDD support is why XB1 is primary console and why the others consoles are my secondary consoles for exclusives.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What Microsoft is doing is a great. Your old games shouldn't be discarded and forgotten when buying new hardware. Hopefully this is also resulting in longer legs for older games that normally would've been forgotten due to being on old hardware.

gaming_noob

I decommissioned my 360 so I was very glad to find out I could play Dark Souls BC in X1 digitally (got the game for free from GAmes for Gold back in 2014). I really enjoy this feature.

sibarraz

Banned
I bought an xbox one last month and 60% of my time has been spent on 360 games.

Not because I don't like the one catalogue, but rather, I missed some of my old games from the 360 and also got all the gears games from 4 (I only played the first one, so I finishing them so I could play 4 soon)

It's not actually that much. In an interview with Bill Stillwell a while ago, I think he said there was 1.9K total.

But that does seem low, so who knows. Wiki has it at 1.1K retail games.
Yeah, it's about 2k released games on retail or xbla and some made it only as Games on Demand (like the Crysis port), but there was over 7k xblig games before they stopped taking new entries.

A put an asterisk because of that, but there are tons of gems in that service as well, so it warrants to be mentioned at least I guess.

What Microsoft is doing is a great. Your old games shouldn't be discarded and forgotten when buying new hardware. Hopefully this is also resulting in longer legs for older games that normally would've been forgotten due to being on old hardware.
With the move to uwp this would be even better as cross gen games wouldn't just be BC on new hardware, it would be the same game with the same playerbase.

Which also gives more potential to games as a service that can be "forever" updated even if it means eventually dropping support to weaker consoles.

The meltdowns have been amazing. Thanks for the rainy morning read folks. The shitpostong is to be expected unfortunately. Playstation is clearly the platform of choice on Gaf. And of course some people take that waaay too far with their emotional attachment. Oh well.

As happy as I am for BC, the one finishing touch they need to make happen is OG Xbox BC.

I feel like MS want to retain customers with BC more than get new people on board. It's working as intended as I'll be buying a Scorpio to maintain my 360/X1 digital collection, as in I'll he staying in the Xbox ecosystem for the time being. I cant see myself switching platforms unless something dramatic happens.

If i can play Ninja Gaiden Black on my Xbox One. I'll be a very happy man.

FyreWulff

The meltdowns have been amazing. Thanks for the rainy morning read folks. The shitpostong is to be expected unfortunately. Playstation is clearly the platform of choice on Gaf. And of course some people take that waaay too far with their emotional attachment. Oh well.

As happy as I am for BC, the one finishing touch they need to make happen is OG Xbox BC.

I feel like MS want to retain customers with BC more than get new people on board. It's working as intended as I'll be buying a Scorpio to maintain my 360/X1 digital collection, as in I'll he staying in the Xbox ecosystem for the time being. I cant see myself switching platforms unless something dramatic happens.

If i can play Ninja Gaiden Black on my Xbox One. I'll be a very happy man.

I have a feeling if it weren't for office political fuckery between nVidia and MS they would have already done OXbox. I mean, 360 BC was first in Rare Replay, but the Oxbox game in the collection was just ported.

It would be really cool, as all 3 Xbox consoles would be playable on one device, and hopefully Oxbox emulation this time would have a more complete title list.

Quoted for the truth. Exactly how I feel and I think it may also be a marketing trigger for people who are also about to jump from 360 to this gen and may do so with Scorpio or the cheaper One by next year.

Quoted for the truth. Exactly how I feel and I think it may also be a marketing trigger for people who are also about to jump from 360 to this gen and may do so with Scorpio or the cheaper One by next year.

Same.

BC isn't the hugest thing for me but I am surprised by how often I've been going back to 360 games. More so the old XBLA games than full retail ones, but still.

MilkyJoe

I assume we're talking about people playing BC titles regularly? Because that wouldn't be a good percentage if they counted all the people that have booted a BC game at least once.

Being that you get two free BC games a month with Gold, I imagine the numbers playing are fairly high.

fast_taker

BC is a great feature considering the great games released on x360. I have played bc games quite a few times, but the truth is that 95% of my gaming time is on current gen games

keenerz

I havent touched BC yet, although I can see why people do enjoy it. I just don't have the time these days with so many new releases coming out and myself rarely having the time to play current gen games let alone go back and play older games that I for the most part have beaten (if I already own)

Justinh

Even 3TB ain't enough.
I'm at 1.2TB free space already. I'll try to get me one of them 8TB ones hmmmmmm.

Yeah, I just got a 3TB too. Feels good to not have my installs spread over two externals, plus now I have the option to add another drive if I need one down the line. Down to 806 GB free. Glad that even though BC games are a little bit bigger than the actual game on 360, they are far smaller than what proper Xbox One games can be. I have 109 (unless I miscounted) Backwards Compatible games installed right now.

I play Zuma (X360 launch game) on a regular basis. Fuck Sony for not giving us proper BC.

Also, would still like Maaahvel BC for the homies who don't have a PS4 or XOne.

B_Bech

Considering you get one free every month with Gold l would have thought this statistic would have been a hell of a lot higher.

Numbers from my ass, by Donnie M.

While I don't disagree with your comments, it is possible the numbers are not wrong, as I don't think many users made regular use of the OG Xbox BC. The OG Xbox sales were much lower than the 360, and as such being the BC games are a plus but not a major selling point. For the One, being BC with 360, a hugely popular platform. is a boost.

Doffen

Considering you get one free every month with Gold l would have thought this statistic would have been a hell of a lot higher.

Not everyone have Gold and not every Xbox One is used for gaming. Also the amount of people who download the GwG games is lower than the amount of people who got XBLG.

Varg

Banned
I'll admit it was crazy going on world at war and seeing full rooms again. If Scorpio has a great launch I'll be making the ecosystem switch for sure . Just don't want to pay for two online services right now .

xrnzaaas

Well, considering 200m played and then this figure, can't we just accept that BC has been a success and that all the remarks around no-one uses BC to be wrong?

Yes it is a success, just not as big of a success as I imagined. Like I've said it's hard to ignore the BC games if you're an Xbox One owner, because you get two of them for free every month and a lot of "desirable" 360 games (like RDR) have also become BC.

bill0527

I did my part.

I played Red Dead Redemption beginning to end for my 3rd time when it came out BC.

I've also played bits and pieces of a lot of BC games.

When I got EA Access it seems like almost every non sports game they released for 360 got dumped on me as part of my subscription and I've got the Mass Effect trilogy up next on my radar when I get through a few other games.

Yes it is a success, just not as big of a success as I imagined. Like I've said it's hard to ignore the BC games if you're an Xbox One owner, because you get two of them for free every month and a lot of "desirable" 360 games (like RDR) have also become BC.

Not every XBone user has a gold membership.

For me, the key is that with this move and its success, whether big or small, I have a certain amount of confidence that MS will aim to include this in further iterations of its gaming platform. The idea that your purchases, specially the digital ones, can be used in the next generations, is definitely a neat one.

I have a feeling if it weren't for office political fuckery between nVidia and MS they would have already done OXbox. I mean, 360 BC was first in Rare Replay, but the Oxbox game in the collection was just ported.

It would be really cool, as all 3 Xbox consoles would be playable on one device, and hopefully Oxbox emulation this time would have a more complete title list.

I'd imagine that this is the only reason it isn't a thing. Microsoft has always made its consoles using similar PC architecture which makes emulation aside from a few cases easy, if it wasn't for political shenanigans. Makes it much easier compared to Sony careening from various different architecture generation to generation.

My only problem with BC is that it serves as a distraction for the actual shortcomings in Xbox's line up. I feel that for the past 18 months most of the excitement around Xbox has been about BC announcements. It's a great service, I'm not saying Spencer and co. shouldn't play it up, but I sure wish there was more to look forward to at this point in terms of software.

It's not a distraction from anything. The XB1 has a fine lineup. I could very easily own only MS's console this generation and be more than satisfied.

FyreWulff

I'd imagine that this is the only reason it isn't a thing. Microsoft has always made its consoles using similar PC architecture which makes emulation aside from a few cases easy, if it wasn't for political shenanigans. Makes it much easier compared to Sony careening from various different architecture generation to generation.

As far as we know, every 360 that came with the hard drive, nVidia had to be paid per, even if the user never used it.

This is also why if you bought third party drives and other methods of clean drives, you couldn't play OXbox games because the actual emulator for OXbox was only included via the drive and installed in the factory. 360s with aftermarket drives can't actually emulate Oxbox games outside of the few that made it to Games on Demand.

less than 50% of playstation 4 owner are ps+ subsxriber. and while that number could be bigger for xbox one, due to a smaller and more hardcore installbase, i doubt it's close to 70%. so not that many people get free 360 games every month. + all the people who subscribe to xbox live and don't care for all games and just like to play the new cod, bf, fifa, gtav, minecraft or halo.

i personally think 50% is a huge, extremely huge number. every service you create that attracts 50% of your customer is a big success.
some other metrics would be nice to have for some context. % of installbase who is using video streaming. webbrowsing. apps. etc.

i still find 50% extremely impressive.

gypsygib

Playing? Or tried it out, said cool it works, and never used the feature again.

I still feel it's a great feature to have.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I've always felt that this "ps3 architecture is very different" argument is a lame excuse, which is widely accepted by the public sadly. I am sure that ps3 architecture is very different than ps4. But i am also sure that a huge company with great know-how such as sony would find a way to implement bc to ps4, if they really wanted. But that would kill their very own ps now initiative obviously.

Even if it is, that doesn't excuse no PS1 and 2 emulation. Sony's had that available forever and they just said "LOL nope!"

And people defend that decision to the death for reasons I still don't understand.

Top Bottom