• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Phantom Dust HD release- "Should ship before E3"

EvB

Aren't 480p textures going to look like ass blown up though? This seems to be a small scale project so I understand why they didn't make all new assets but they don't seem to have even touched them up even a little.

They may be the original assets, just better quality through less compression or higher resolution, presumably they have access to that still.
They could also be replacing certain shaders with more modern ones or implementing improved lighting or particles or whatnot. There is lots that can be done to improve a game beyond just new textures.

farisr

Ummm, the tweet suggests there's some upscaling involved.
I'm assuming, if upscaling is indeed involved, they'll render at the highest resolution possible (without a lot of effort/budget put into it, compared to other remasters/remakes that is) while maintaining 60fps (or lower if the original game ran at a lower one and the game engine has issues running at 60) and then let upscaling handle the rest to get it at 1080p or something.

I'd expect something along the lines of the results PCSX2 gets you for some games. No asset improvements, yet thanks to a higher render resolution, game can still look significantly improved than the original.

Anticol

Banned
Could've fooled me. Especially since the trailer made it a point to show the old PS1 game and then the remake one after the other. Your eyesight must absolutely suck if you couldn't tell that these were brand new assets being used.No, I'm not "made" at anything. I've only posted once on the matter to explain why your post was a shitpost.

There's a big difference between saying you think a game is bad, and what you wrote. Saying that people are pretending the remake looks good now, or pretended that the game were good back then is shitposting. Had you said you thought the game was bad or have never liked them, that would've been different.

If he saw the trailer like he claims, then he probably has no fkn clue the difference between a port and a remake of a game. Also what he talks about crash has nothing to do with the thread, if he didn't like the game is ok, but what he is doing here is shitposting, he probably wasn't even born when crash came out.

EvB

Are they actually replacing the assets in Crash? I assumed it was just an HD "remake" like this game since they announced all three getting it.

I think the entire game has been remade from scratch to represent the game that people played back in the day.
A bit like the Resident Evil Remake on GameCube.

It'll likely be made using the Skylanders engine, as that is what the team generally works with.

Roboculus

Sounds more and more like the ps2 games on ps4. And even if I prefer a full remaster, this could also end up pretty nice.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. We know that Code Mystics is working on it and they have experience with emulating games (worked on KI 1 and 2 classic and Rare Replay).

The PS2 games on PS4 are emulated but they still received some improvements to look better than the original. They weren't native 1080p but they also weren't just upscaled either.

So yeah, I would expect something similar to the quality of the emulated PS2 games on PS4.

Tain

Interesting.

This won't be 60fps, I'd bet money on it ("improved framerate" meaning "less slowdown"), but I really want to know what they're doing resolution-wise now.

Mechazawa

Yeah, I'm betting on Phantom Dust being a good ol' game-logic-tied-to-framerate scenario. I'd be very surprised if a Japanese game developer from 2004 did any different.

I'm also worried that it's going to end up being crap. I've not played this game and it looks awesome, definitely for me, but I'm worried it'll be a Silent Hill 2 scenario where certain changes will result in the game being inferior. I know there aren't any changes made to the game in the same sense of HD remakes, but in the sense that the emulation of OG Xbox games turn out rubbish, and glitchy and doesn't work on launch. I just wanna experience what everyone else did with any articles along the lines "Beloved Phantum Dust from OG Xbox era on Xbox One is a complete broken mess".

Ok, based on the Phantom Dust fact sheet, it says they'll be adjustments to overall game balance. However, I have no idea how'd you get "new decks" and "different shop setups." Reading it along with Shannon Loftis interview, I can't help but think the "adjustment to overall game balance" is being used as PR, since unlocking enough arsenals available at launch so you can jump straight into multiplayer instead of having to play the campaign to do it, could be technically used as their example.

Because they also said new default multiplayer decks and they changed the way the multiplayer shop works. Neither of them are large changes, but again they both are changes which points out this isn't just a simple ~360p emulation of the old game.

Which is also what MS seems to be saying now, so I guess you get to create a new narrative. I'm going to stick with my simple "we don't know much yet."

Yeah, I'm betting on Phantom Dust being a good ol' game-logic-tied-to-framerate scenario. I'd be very surprised if a Japanese game developer from 2004 did any different.

Eh, even if that's the case it doesn't mean they can't fix that. Many games are fixed for 60fps, even by fan hacks.

I'm thinking it wasn't completely tied down, I seem to remember some frame-skipping, but it's admittedly been a long time since I played this on Xbox online. There was also slowdown when physics stuff got too crazy, but that doesn't mean anything since all connected Xboxes would have been slowed down by the same calculations.

I'm also worried that it's going to end up being crap. I've not played this game and it looks awesome, definitely for me, but I'm worried it'll be a Silent Hill 2 scenario where certain changes will result in the game being inferior. I know there aren't any changes made to the game in the same sense of HD remakes, but in the sense that the emulation of OG Xbox games turn out rubbish, and glitchy and doesn't work on launch. I just wanna experience what everyone else did with any articles along the lines "Beloved Phantum Dust from OG Xbox era on Xbox One is a complete broken mess".
I haven't played it myself, but my understanding is that the Grabbed by the Ghoulies port/emulation on X1 is fine. I wouldn't really worry too much about this game being broken in terms of emulation, that seems like a stretch.

Aaron

What a waste. With its card packs and cool combat, it could have been a killer free to play title. A potentially huge success for MS. But they burn it off, treating it marginally better than they did the original.

I have a feeling this is like super close to launch

It's see to see this getting pushed out the door without any press ala D4. I know Phantom Dust isn't a huge property by any means but it would be nice at least some effort from MS to promote this re-release.

anothertech

They had to hide it till it was practically finished and use secret internal funding to keep it from getting cancelled or somthing?

What's that all about? Seriously, WTF.

Dehnus

That says a lot about the management culture as MS Studios.

Hey if you have to deal with hyper-capitalists that only think in the short term? Then yeah, can you blame them? Value Act would otherwise have shut them down in favour of "Office the Game! WHY CAN WE NOT HAVE MORE SERVICES ON THE XBAWKS! That is where the growth is see? Everybody wants Office Online!"

So you have to keep things secret till the last moment and do gambles. As you don't have "Daddy Balmer" to fallback upon anymore. You know the guy that entered as share holders meeting with a Baseball-bat to get them to support the original Xbox?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=77960773&postcount=22
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?513797-Steve-Ballmer-was-the-best-CEO-ever

Do I agree with such aggression? No.. but it is a way to make sure Shareholders leave your staff alone. You gave them the job, if they have a problem with that? They come talk to you! They do not bully your staff in the job you assigned them to do.

But without a person like Ballmer to "hide" behind, you will need to be smart. These people can get you fired on the spot.

So yeah say about Ballmer what you want, he at least was able to stand for his personal. Not like Value Act sell outs that gave MS employees "pink slips for christmas!".

Look it up one of the biggest rounds of "trimming the fat" was just before Christmas! And for what? The company is making a profit, the company is growing? No it was just to kick down, create a bigger short term dividend/return of investment while also making sure that they could hurt the Phone and Hardware department they so hate.

Sorry I just really hate Hedgefund managers. Like Bill Hicks said about Marketeers, Advertising and Economists. Please kill yourself, you add nothing to this world, you hold humanity back, nobody will miss you.... go end it right now.

Jawmuncher

https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/847917839327481856

C8Rox1sUwAA-E8_.jpg:large

Phil finally gave us a pic of the remaster.

As long as I can play this online again, I don't give a fuck what it looks like. I'd love to get the same treatment for Phantasy Star Online.

SenkiDala

Yeah... I forgot for a sec that it was just a HD port... Well ok then, the price will be low.

But I think that with the lack of exclusives that MS is having right now on XO, it would have been cool to make a full remaster.

Top Bottom