• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on Phantom Dust HD release- "Should ship before E3"

kubev

This release having balance tweaks make me think that it's a little too specialized to be the start of a broad original Xbox game support move, but I'd love to be wrong.

Agreed. I'd be totally fine with this not getting a resolution bump if it meant that this was the first step in Xbox [Original] backwards-compatibility for Xbox One. Panzer Dragoon Orta next, please!

Unless stated otherwise, it's a port but with updated network functionality.

They've stated it has gameplay changes too. (Balance, new decks, different shop setup?) The truth is we just know very little about this new version period. All of the confusion is understandable, and 480p is a little hard to believe.

Honest question, wha was so good about this game that some want to see it make some form of a return? Never played the original.
Man, not even sure where to start. The basic gameplay is a third person multiplayer action game where you use psychic powers of your own choosing. Before matches you build what is essentially a deck of powers called an arsenal. These powers are doled out randomly three at a time during the match, adding a heavy strategic element and giving players enormous freedom. You can build your arsenal to do psychic kung-fu melee attacks, instead go for long-range sniping lasers, focus on defensive powers which erase opponent's abilities, try to control the battlefield on a larger scale (for example, making everybody regenerate psychic energy faster or slower), and all sorts of other possibilities. Battles take place in surreal environments with large amounts of gameplay-affecting destruction, like dropping ceilings on opponents or punching them through stone pillars.

This unique, exciting gameplay is coupled with great art, a very cool storyline in a strange post-apocalyptic setting, a catchy and unusual soundtrack -- it's just an awesome experience.

For sake of fairness, Phantom Dust does have a couple major problems. There's some balance issues with certain arsenals (the Vicious Balance skill is something I'm especially expecting them to change around), and the solo campaign has a really strange structure to it that leads to a lot of wasted time. But get together with some friends for some matches and it's enormously fun, one of the best titles of its generation, a game that can easily become all consuming.

Price = $29.99 then goes on Week of e3 sale for half off at $14.99. (USD)

TAKE YA BETS!
In the Shannon Loftis video interview, she said it would be "value" priced.

If it's "value" priced, I'd bet it's closer to $15. The original release was already value priced at something like $30, and if this isn't in HD I can't see them charging $20 for it. $15 would put it at really solid XBLA game pricing levels which sounds about right for an updated port of a niche OG Xbox game.

Zedox

Well it's good to see that the Windows Store is gonna have some old school games in it. Hopefully we can get more of this. (When I say Windows Store I mean both PC and Xbox).

They've stated it has gameplay changes too. (Balance, new decks, different shop setup?) The truth is we just know very little about this new version period. All of the confusion is understandable, and 480p is a little hard to believe.

There's enough information for me to correct you. LOL There are no gameplay changes. There is only one "small" gameplay tweak being made, "In the original Phantom Dust you had to play for about 6 hours to get a big enough arsenal to take it online to do multiplayer, and with the new Phantom Dust we're going to launch it with some arsenals already available so you can go straight into multiplayer if you want to."

480p shouldn't be that hard to believe if they told you. I honestly don't get this refusal to believe something they said. LOL

I see. So is this not a true HD remaster?

No, it's not a HD Remaster

stn

I'll be buying this just to boost sales for this kind of game and genre. Here's hoping the One eventually gets full XBox OG BC.

Or you can take people at the word when they tell you it's going to be at the original resolution. A lot of people never played Phantom Dust, and despite preferring a remaster or remake, would still be interested in a port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUyUEx-RrzU
Oh I know what they said, I meant more like "wtf are they thinking"?

It's still a great game, but I think it will be a mistake to release a port without even a resolution or fps bump.

Havoc2049

Ahhh....thanks.

From the looks, it still looks to be in its native 4:3 480p. One of the better looking late gen Xbox games, so it's not all bad.

The online multiplayer was so fun back in the day, I'll still buy it. Cross play between the PC and XB1 should help maintain a steady population for online play. Good times!

I still have my original copy and I was just checking ebay and the prices seem to going up for the original. The soundtrack is going for ungodly amounts.

With Scalebound dead, I thought I wouldn't have a reason to get an XBOne but this might sell me on one eventually... Always wanted to play this game.

Spade

So long as the game works properly, I'm content with waiting. Will buy once it's up on the shop and play right away on PC.

There's enough information for me to correct you. LOL There are no gameplay changes. There is only one "small" gameplay tweak being made, "In the original Phantom Dust you had to play for about 6 hours to get a big enough arsenal to take it online to do multiplayer, and with the new Phantom Dust we're going to launch it with some arsenals already available so you can go straight into multiplayer if you want to."

480p shouldn't be that hard to believe if they told you. I honestly don't get this refusal to believe something they said. LOL

Is that so? You seem to be struggling yourself. (Maybe it's all that laughing.)

Microsoft said:
In addition, it features new gameplay enhancements including multiplayer* starter decks that let you jump straight into multiplayer, improved frame rate, and adjustments to overall game balance.

Balance adjustments are gameplay changes, as I already stated. There's also the implication (with "including") that they're doing more, of course. The shop changes are one area we know about.

This isn't a straight 1-to-1 emulation of the game. I'm not expecting massive changes, but when they do things like change the balance and framerate it's reasonable to expect resolution improvements too.

There's also the issue (brought up in the last thread, IIRC) that the game is now running in widescreen, which if a straight emulation (in other words just cropping the black bars, the simplest hack possible) would mean we're actually talking about something like 360p.

Like I said, a lot of questions remain. Which is fine, MS is going to announce final details when they want to, but there's no reason you have to be so strident in your own (at least partially mistaken) assumptions.

Is that so? You seem to be struggling yourself. (Maybe it's all that laughing.)

Balance adjustments are gameplay changes, as I already stated. There's also the implication (with "including") that they're doing more, of course. The shop changes are one area we know about.

This isn't a straight 1-to-1 emulation of the game. I'm not expecting massive changes, but when they do things like change the balance and framerate it's reasonable to expect resolution improvements too.

There's also the issue (brought up in the last thread, IIRC) that the game is now running in widescreen, which if a straight emulation (in other words just cropping the black bars, the simplest hack possible) would mean we're actually talking about something like 360p.

Like I said, a lot of questions remain. Which is fine, MS is going to announce final details when they want to, but there's no reason you have to be so strident in your own (at least partially mistaken) assumptions.

Ok, based on the Phantom Dust fact sheet, it says they'll be adjustments to overall game balance. However, I have no idea how'd you get "new decks" and "different shop setups." Reading it along with Shannon Loftis interview, I can't help but think the "adjustment to overall game balance" is being used as PR, since unlocking enough arsenals available at launch so you can jump straight into multiplayer instead of having to play the campaign to do it, could be technically used as their example.

Tain

Yeah, good point. This could be straight-up emulation with an unlocked saved game file.

Which is... okay. Not as cool as real tweaks, but if they're going to do straight-up emulation I'd prefer it have things unlocked.

Don't you realize you will see every game in 1080p as your output right?

Not being American, it pains me to spell realised with a z. :(
I wonder if this could be the start of Xbox backwards compatibility on Xbox One? They've done fantastic work with the 360 games and Spencer said last year that he wanted this to happen so maybe it's an E3 thing?

If it's as a result of Xbox emulation, I'll be more than fine for it. Still a bit confused given that it's on PC as well as Xbox why it would be 480p at any point unless the PC version is that resolution too, which sounds absolutely insane.

We shall see. This game was ahead of it's time kind of weird how they aren't going balls deep with it anymore, I can only hope it's a massive success because graphics are great and everything but it was the gameplay itself that was just astonishingly wonderful.

SOR5

qwe.png

Looks like theyre doing something unorthodox with it graphically

WadeitOut

What the fuck has crash go to do with anything?

I'm confused here. You really don't see the comparison between this game and the Crash remake?

They are both older games being ported with questions of how the gameplay will hold up.

Shit posting should not be allowed

Is there some better recent decade-plus old remake coming out that I should have used? Or is it "shitposting" because I made fun of Crash Bandicoot?

farisr

Are they actually replacing the assets in Crash? I assumed it was just an HD "remake" like this game since they announced all three getting it.
So you haven't even seen a trailer for it apparently, and then wonder why your post is considered shitposting. LOL

WadeitOut

So you haven't even seen a trailer for it apparently, and then wonder why your post is considered shitposting. LOL

Of course. It was shown at PSX. I was literally posting in the event thread. It's still an old game being polished and put on a new console, which was the point of the comparison.

It's only "shitposting" because you're made that I think Crash Bandicoot sucks.

WadeitOut

So you didn't even see the trailer for crash and here you are talking shit about it?
Ha!

I'm was talking shit about Crash Bandicoot games in general. As in the originals. Not the remakes.

People are crying because in response to someone wondering how well HD porting the game will end up, I said that if people can enjoy the Crash games again, than this has a chance. Because I think Crash games and their entire game play premise is dated. And probably related to why I think all of those mobile runner. games are terrible. dealwithitshades.gif

Ushay

I may try it out depending on the price and what I'm playing.

It's a great game, WELL worth trying out. If it funds a sequel I'd say it's worthwhile picking up. Phantom Dust is one of the IP's I've always thought this could be a sleeper hit with the right team and vision behind it.

Hexer06

qwe.png

Very interesting... Regardless, I'm getting this day one even if it's $60. I know it's not even gonna be close to that, but that's how much I want this game!!! Really hoping they bring out some news for this soon. :D

Mosse

Neo Member
qwe.png

Sounds more and more like the ps2 games on ps4. And even if I prefer a full remaster, this could also end up pretty nice.

I'm was talking shit about Crash Bandicoot games in general. As in the originals. Not the remakes.

People are crying because in response to someone wondering how well HD porting the game will end up, I said that if people can enjoy the Crash games again, than this has a chance. Because I think Crash games and their entire game play premise is dated. And probably related to why I think all of those mobile runner. games are terrible. dealwithitshades.gif

People are pretending like the Crash Bandicoot remake looks good and that the original was a good game. So i'd say this has a chance.

How is saying that "people are pretending that the remakes looks good" not talking shit about the remakes? And what does you not liking crash have to do with Phantom Dust?

Are you still not sure why people say your shitposting? Because shitting on unrelated games and their fans in a thread about a different game looks alot like console war shit to me.

Edit: The Crash remakes are not ports by the way, they're fully remade from the ground up with all new assets. So not really comparable to this

Can we stop calling this abomination 'HD' please.

Do you have some sort of issue with the game itself or ...

Why are you still talking about Crash Bandicoot in a Phantom Dust thread? Stop derailing the thread and start coping with the realization that this was a poor choice of topic.

farisr

Of course. It was shown at PSX. I was literally posting in the event thread. It's still an old game being polished and put on a new console, which was the point of the comparison.
Could've fooled me. Especially since the trailer made it a point to show the old PS1 game and then the remake one after the other. Your eyesight must absolutely suck if you couldn't tell that these were brand new assets being used.
It's only "shitposting" because you're made that I think Crash Bandicoot sucks.
No, I'm not "made" at anything. I've only posted once on the matter to explain why your post was a shitpost.

There's a big difference between saying you think a game is bad, and what you wrote. Saying that people are pretending the remake looks good now, or pretended that the games were good back then is shitposting. Had you said you thought the game was bad or have never liked them, that would've been different.

Wereroku

Sounds like same assets but rendered natively (not upscaled) in a higher resolution.

Aren't 480p textures going to look like ass blown up though? This seems to be a small scale project so I understand why they didn't make all new assets but they don't seem to have even touched them up even a little.

Top Bottom