• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Jim Ryan on crossplay "We will keep Minecraft players safe."

Seventy70

tbh, I hope Sony's next console is $800 with an increase in PS Plus price. It would be really good for them as a company and they are in first place anyway.

/s

It's sad because this gen felt like it started out with companies actually striving to make a better experience for the consumer. Now that they are in first place I guess they should just go back to their old ways because that works so well.

lol, Phil must be loving this. After years of being kicked around by Sony, MS has forced them with no good option here.

Accepting cross play benefits Sony the least as they are the market leader, and creates a dangerous precedent, as the more games have cross play, the less reason there is to get a PS4 because you want to play with all your friends who already have PS4s. Refusing paints Sony as the bad guy. There's absolutely no winning move for them here.

I'm okay with console makers not being able to force me to buy the same console as my friends just to play games with them, sorry shareholders :^(

Sony is eating absolute shit on this. "Sorry everyone, we know you want this feature and it's literally only good for gamers, but we think things are best if we hold our online community hostage and don't let anyone else in."

Like I've said, they're already losing business from me since I'll be buying and playing multiplats online somewhere where I can play with my friends (aka not PS4). Shrugging their shoulders and sending the message "restricted online play is a feature that makes this console appealing" won't pan out for them.

"Why would Sony let their players play on other systems?" I dunno, maybe because the fuckin players want it? You can only do this horseshit walled garden business model for so long. People won't buy into the "I HAVE to get the same console as my friends" now, and that's a good thing (bad thing if you hate player freedom I guess).

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I don't want Xbox Live on the PS4. If you can confirm Microsoft is willing to do it without any reference to Xbox....which we can't. We will talk.
I bet you would refuse to allow Office 365 on iOS if it was left to people like you.

Cross-Play is a positive for all gamers and disallowing it because "Fuck you, I got mine" as a market leader is not only arrogant but is asking for the reserve if they lose market leadership ever again.

Edit: I see people actually using the "Fuck you I got mine" defence. Unless if you're a Sony shareholder stop being such a corporate ballwasher, Christ.

Haines

Banned
Why would Sony the market leader, let their players on the second place condone servers? Sony is smart by blocking this play from Microsoft.

So you are ok with it if sony is in second place?

You care more about sony than the people that actually play the game?

I think you need some reality checks

DataGhost

There is no winning moves here for Sony so the best move is not to play.

I feel like they're going to go silent on this and people will forget. Similar to the NMS disaster.

Malcolm9

This is the same guy who touted the Xbox One X as being a "True 4K" machine, and then compared the PS4 Pro to the Xbox One S. Mr Spin himself........ok then Phil.

On a serious note as a gamer i'd love to see crossplay across different platforms but Sony obviously have their reasons, it's just their response about it is pretty weak. I'd prefer they just said no rather than creating some BS scenario.

There is no winning moves here for Sony so the best move is not to play.

I feel like they're going to go silent on this and people will forget. Similar to the NMS disaster.

I'm predicting more and more games will have the feature and will celebrated for having cross play, and Sony will eat more and more shit until they change this.

PS4 will quickly become the place to play if you only want to be able to play with other PS4 owners, while the other platforms will all have the shared appeal of a unified online player community. It's going to matter.

Krakn3Dfx

Ryan's assertion was convoluted from the get go, I'm not even a big fan of Spencer, but I think it's pretty crazy that he even needed to respond to this, but I'm glad he kind of put Jim Ryan on the spot by "throwing himself on the grenade". Good on him.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I don't play minecraft so I don't really care in general about how this is going.

But for everyone that is outraged let me know when MS agrees to require all Xbox gamers playing "Call of Duty" (or popular game X) to create a free PSN account in order to have cross play with PS4 gamers.

You do realize Minecraft is owned by Microsoft, right? Call of Duty would be similar to Rocket League where no XBL log-in is required on the Switch, for instance.

I certainly hope so but I'm not counting on it. I do wonder if MHW would be cross playable

If not for Sony's policies, probably. We could have had Destiny cross-play potentially (unless Sony's exclusive one-year content would have been an issue).

Personally, I don't really play much online, even though I have both Live and Plus (and will probably subscribe to Nintendo's service come launch), but it's shit like makes me think Sony getting too arrogant again, and I say that as a PS4 owner (along with X1 S, and Switch). Which, BTW, is the same kind of arrogant attitude that lost them last generation in the States.

Edit: I mean, FFS, even Nintendo is on board with this, and speaking as a Nintendo fanboy, they are not exactly well known for their progressive online approach.

Phil Spencer continued:

Come on and jump up in the air, jump without a care, jump up 'cause you know that I'll be there. And if you find you're short on joy don't break, just don't forget that
I'm still your 1-UP boy

vpance

I'm predicting more and more games will have the feature and will celebrated for having cross play, and Sony will eat more and more shit until they change this.

PS4 will quickly become the place to play if you only want to be able to play with other PS4 owners, while the other platforms will all have the shared appeal of a unified online player community. It's going to matter.

Well as long as their user base is bigger they're still in the drivers seat. The friends effect is a huge influencer on platform choice. Why would they give up that advantage to appease a vocal minority? They're trying to make inroads into Xbox mindshare, not reverse it by opening up the cross play floodgates.

big_z

I believe this will be the start of arrogant Sony and their downfall, it doesn't make sense to block cross play

Their arrogance has been coming back for a while now. EA Access not being of value to their players, insulting those that want backwards compatibility, cross play....

im curious to see how destiny turns out on xb1x with the rumor sony is forcing parity with pro due to the marketing deal. the rumor of sony paying to keep monster hunter off Nintendo platforms going forward, while sounds like a stretch, the more I think about it, the more plausible it seems.

This is exactly what is going to happen... eventually. However, people can effect that change and make it happen faster if everyone does get loud. I mean, crossplay is a really awesome idea for consumers and an awesome future landscape for gamers. If this where my platform of choice then I would be doing all I could to make it happen faster.

You can tweet at them,

@Sony

@Playstation

@ShawnLayden

Until someone comes up with a better hashtag... use #PS4Crossplayers

You can write them,

Sony Interactive Entertainment America LLC
Consumer Services Department
P.O. Box 5888
San Mateo, California, 94402-0888
United States of America

And you can even call them. Ask to speak to a supervisor.

Sony 855-999-SONY (7669)

And you can spread dank memes and hope they catch on.

aA3gzk6.png

This will definitely catch someone's eye. The more the better.

Well as long as their user base is bigger they're still in the drivers seat. The friends effect is a huge influencer on platform choice. Why would they give up that advantage to appease a vocal minority? They're trying to make inroads into Xbox mindshare, not reverse it by opening up the cross play floodgates.

It depends how things pan out. If Minecraft is marketed as being able to play with multiple platforms apart from PS4 and the PS4 version is missing other significant features it coukd push folks to get a different platform altogether for their kids come the holiday period.

If this becomes more standard among other games (which it should) too it leaves Sony looking inside through the rainy window.

Ploid 3.0

At the least, continue doing PC - PS4 cross play. Add more of it since the demand is ramping up. That would be nice for dying PC communities.

PS4 had such a large community for Dragon Age MP it made me jealous. The weekly community challenge events were double for PS4 and very low for PC and Xbox One. I could hardly find groups on PC then, and I know I'd find nothing now, thankfully I'm geared enough to solo, it's slower though.

Z O N E

How is it gimped exactly? If it's missing features other then cross-play, wouldn't that be on the developer? Why are they not pushing those features on PS4? Are they holding those features hostage just because Sony refuses cross-play?

They're not holding the features hostage...

The new Minecraft will be using a different code that will be able to apply on every platform. Since Sony is not on board with crossplay, they will miss out on these features that REQUIRE Microsofts Azure servers.

You do realise that Microsoft will be hosting all these Minecraft servers that with Azure, such as Infinite Worlds that will host thousands of players, renting private servers to players for their own community and more.

DigSCCP

This is the same guy who touted the Xbox One X as being a "True 4K" machine, and then compared the PS4 Pro to the Xbox One S. Mr Spin himself........ok then Phil.

On a serious note as a gamer i'd love to see crossplay across different platforms but Sony obviously have their reasons, it's just their response about it is pretty weak. I'd prefer they just said no rather than creating some BS scenario.

Basically this.
While I do think cross plataform is a good thing is kinda hilarious to see Phill Spencer playing "im the good guy".
If Sony don't pretend to have cross play they should just do what they should have gone in the first place : just stay quiet.
Jim Ryan created a completely unnecessary situation.
Oh and Phill since you've been talking so much lately can you be a good guy and really explain for us what happened to Scalebound ? Seems like you put a lot of effort to talk about Playstation but when it comes to talk about your own plataform, your own games or the lack of them you are not so transparent and direct to the point...

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Considering Sony's history with PSN is more chequered than AC Origins' resolution, questions over other services' account security and safety isn't something I'd raise.

Spencer seems genuinely offended in this interview.

mrg6290

This is exactly what is going to happen... eventually. However, people can effect that change and make it happen faster if everyone does get loud. I mean, crossplay is a really awesome idea for consumers and an awesome future landscape for gamers. If this where my platform of choice then I would be doing all I could to make it happen faster.

You can tweet at them,

@Sony

@Playstation

@ShawnLayden

You can write them,

P.O. Box 5888
United States of America

Sony 855-999-SONY (7669)

aA3gzk6.png

Doing God's work.

I cant understand how some people are not bothered by Sony preventing cross play for Minecraft (assuming they have Minecraft on the PS4 to begin with). Sure Sony is the leader this gen and Minecraft has sold a lot on there and to this day probably has a considerably active userbase. But not everyone who has a PS4 and Minecraft, and has friends who all also own a PS4 and Minecraft, say they own other versions of Minecraft. Well they cant play together. Sure they can come over to their friend's house and play Split Screen... but that isnt infinite worlds or Realms or dedicated servers or even the Super Duper graphics.
Now if they want to play with their friends, they need to buy Minecraft on a different platform. And speaking of all the things that this Better Together Update is bringing, the PS4 version is now effectively inferior.
Sure it might get the rest of the features that the Java edition currently has over all other versions, but at this rate Java edition is only going to continue to get updated for so long. And whose to say that shortly before that, or way before that, Microsoft announces that it will no longer be updating the older editions of the game (which the PS4 version is effectively going to be once this update comes out, sure 4J could pledge to keep updating it for as long as its reasonable, but why all that extra work).?

RedAssedApe

Banned

Yup.

At least if he said this he would have been speaking the cold hard business truth. Instead he rambled on some weird tangent about protecting the children. Lol

That or he could have threw people a bone and say some random PR thing about always taking player feedback and it's not impossible that it might be something they allow down the road. (Even if they don't intend to)

Fantastic response. Spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt about Microsoft's ability to protect children that play their games is unacceptable beyond the stupidity of blocking cross play. They seem to have an issue with throwing their partners under the bus by making things up when it doesn't suit their business plans. They accused EA of ripping people off with EA Access, and now they insinuate Microsoft is negligent and endangering children.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Considering Sony's history with PSN is more chequered than AC Origins' resolution, questions over other services' account security and safety isn't something I'd raise.

Spencer seems genuinely offended in this interview.

Dude, the gaming industry should be upset about bullshit like that.

Exactly, implying that children aren't safe playing online is a scare story ripped from the early days of the internet. Everyone should be shitting on Sony for that excuse, not stanning for them because of NPD numbers.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Well yeah but this does seem like Sony are publicly questioning Microsoft's commitment to XBL security.

People in glass houses, and all that.

Sacul64GC

Banned

You can tweet at them,

@Sony

@Playstation

@ShawnLayden

You can write them,

P.O. Box 5888
United States of America

Sony 855-999-SONY (7669)

aA3gzk6.png

Can we get a topic just for this? In the same way we had region free Nintendo and always online xbox?

Ploid 3.0

How much is mincraft phone these days, that would probably be a good solution. I know I have money in my google play that I could burn through if I wanted to cross play Minecraft, or try the updated graphics. I had a nephew that was hardcore into minecraft (PC) now he only play Overwatch (PS4). In the end, there are so many ways to play minecraft that everyone will find a way to play it the way they want even if it's iPad, or continue playing on PSN the way you have been playing all along.

Edit: Googled it: $7 bucks on mobile, cheap.

statham

Why would Sony the market leader, let their players on the second place condone servers? Sony is smart by blocking this play from Microsoft.

why even let mine-craft be available on Sony systems? block it entirely. we don't want MS logo on Sony systems. /s

Top Bottom