• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Jim Ryan on crossplay "We will keep Minecraft players safe."

Nanashrew

Banned
lol, Phil must be loving this. After years of being kicked around by Sony, MS has forced them with no good option here.

Accepting cross play benefits Sony the least as they are the market leader, and creates a dangerous precedent, as the more games have cross play, the less reason there is to get a PS4 because you want to play with all your friends who already have PS4s. Refusing paints Sony as the bad guy. There's absolutely no winning move for them here.

PS4 will have the tiniest userbase for Minecraft once the update rolls out where Switch, XB1, mobile and tablet devices, and PC can all play with each other.

Krayz

X1 and Switch will be able to play with PC and mobile so do you still think PS4 will have the larger player base for Minecraft?

PS4-Switch-PC-Mobile could still be on the table. But I'm sure Mojang got some pressure from Microsoft not to do it unless Sony allows Xbox in on it too. I think they just really don't want to do anything with Xbox. Once Rocket League releases on Switch and PS4-Switch-PC is a thing, that is when you know its confirmed.

sangreal

People making these arguments realize that Microsoft can already add a Microsoft Log-in to PS4 software just without Cross-play? Several 3rd parties already have log-ins.

This has nothing to do with a Microsoft Login.

Not to mention Ms has done it on PS in the past with Skype

Cerium

Just wait until GAF starts organizing Switch vs Xbox matches in Rocket League.

We can settle console wars like civilized drivers.

PS4-Switch-PC-Mobile could still be on the table. But I'm sure Mojang got some pressure from Microsoft not to do it unless Sony allows Xbox in on it too.

That's not how it works. The dedicated servers will host thousands of players at the same time regardless of platform.

Shin-Ra

How do you report a misbehaving member of a competitor's online service without either integrating the two or signing into both?

Seriously. Having Apple, Google, Nintendo and Microsoft all on board to unify a platform is huge. It's going to be awesome that nearly everyone can play Minecraft together no matter what you're playing on. I can go on a trip and play on my Switch with my friend playing on his phone and my grandma on her laptop and we can all be in the same world together.

Good. At least all those filthy crossbloods won't be tainting the superior experiences of the pure sonyblood children.

lucius-malfoy.gif

paulogy

in the broadest application of cross platform play, sony supports it the least, since they only support it with PC, while mS and Nintendo support it with one another along with PC and other platforms like Apple on mobiles

Which is interesting if you think about it since PC is surely the least family-friendly, and perhaps least secure environment to interface with.

Moneal

for everyone posting about how popular Minecraft is. how popular is it on playstation4? I know when NPD previously had sku rankings for their game sales list, Playstation consoles were always last on the list. 360 and xbox one were top on that list every month outside of june 2016. It also wasn't on any top 10 lists for either PS4 or Xbox1 for total sales last year. It was on the top downloads on psn last year though ranked 3rd. I think sony is just assumes the sales aren't worth it for them to do a deal, whatever the deal was.

Nobody considers a console purchase based on a different console's online community.

The winning move for Sony is for them to say yes so that their Minecraft community gets the most up to date version of the game. Saying no to cross play is barring them from that leaving them with the weakest version

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? The most effective form of brand evangelisation is friends telling you to get the console they have so you can play with them. Sony as market leader benefits the most from this

for everyone posting about how popular Minecraft is. how popular is it on playstation4? I know when NPD previously had sku rankings for their game sales list, Playstation consoles were always last on the list. 360 and xbox one were top on that list every month outside of june 2016. It also wasn't on any top 10 lists for either PS4 or Xbox1 for total sales last year. It was on the top downloads on psn last year though ranked 3rd. I think sony is just assumes the sales aren't worth it for them to do a deal, whatever the deal was.
Well, despite not being on a top ten list, Phil mentions that December(November?) last year was Minecraft's biggest month on Xbox one. What that means exactly, not sure but based on the context he ment sales from the game on xbox.

It's freaking Minecraft...

MCMap1.jpg

I'm sure it's selling well...

Darknight

PS4-Switch-PC-Mobile could still be on the table. But I'm sure Mojang got some pressure from Microsoft not to do it unless Sony allows Xbox in on it too. I think they just really don't want to do anything with Xbox. Once Rocket League releases on Switch and PS4-Switch-PC is a thing, that is when you know its confirmed.

So a theoretical Switch/PS4/PC x-play is still on the table?

I think Sony is saying no to any x-play.

Synth

PC-PS4
PC-Xbox

Is a thing on Rocket league you know...

That's a lot simpler for something as heavily instanced as Rocket League. That's not going to work with Minecraft Realms where the servers are up perpetually, and anyone on any supporting platform could potentially connect to it at any point. Some servers will have thousands of players at once... if you branch the crossplay off into PS4/Switch/PC and Xbox/Switch/PC, one of those branches isn't joining these servers. And it's not gonna be the Xbox side.

sangreal

Dollar sales don't tell you anything about popularity. Minecraft has never cost more than $20 on PS4. You said yourself it was the third most popular download

Toki767

It's constantly on the Top 10 sellers list for PSN.

So I do think the base on PS4 is pretty big.

It's just a matter of time before Sony gives in I think.

Cross play is the future, much like digital games.

but again how much of that is ps4. it was always behind MS and even WIIU for Minecraft sales.

Dude, you don't have to be a genius to look at this and see the potential sales power over time. Especially when combined with the amount of PlayStations sold.

If this game where on my gaming service, I'd want to make sure that it was up to par with the best versions out there in order to ensure my service isn't missing out on as many sales as possible.

It makes no sense to gimp the version that is on your platform. Especially not Minecraft. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

I'm just glad we got people here making sure that Sony feels comfortable. It's been a tough time for them this E3 and maybe we're being too hard.

Like, seriously. Who even plays Rocket League/Minecraft? And if they do, what's the point of playing with friends that have other consoles anyway? Can't they just get a PS4 like the rest of us? Really pathetic from Microsoft to try to steal Sony's market share by opening cross/platform play. It's a shame seeing a company go so low for some sales.

#4theplayers
kill me

Krayz

Dude, you don't have to be a genius to look at this and see the potential sales power over time. Especially when combined with the amount of PlayStations sold.

If this game where on my gaming service, I'd want to make sure that it was up to par with the best versions out there in order to ensure my service isn't missing out on as many sales as possible.

It makes no sense to gimp the version that is on your platform. Especially not Minecraft. It's like the gift that keeps on giving.

How is it gimped exactly? If it's missing features other then cross-play, wouldn't that be on the developer? Why are they not pushing those features on PS4? Are they holding those features hostage just because Sony refuses cross-play?

GHG

Gold Member
Don't normally agree with him but he's right here.

Jim Ryan fucked up, nothing new there.

Moneal

but what I am saying is that even though ps4 has been outselling xbox1 by a good margin minecraft was still selling better on xbox1, heck until may of last year the 360 version was still selling more than anything else. since then ps4 took june, and after that NPD moved to their new style and removed sku rankings. if it was already selling worse than every other service it might not be worth the effort.

How is it gimped exactly? If it's missing features other then cross-play, wouldn't that be on the developer? Why are they not pushing those features on PS4? Are they holding those features hostage just because Sony refuses cross-play?

MS built the new version specifically for their dedicated servers. great business decision on their part, bully everyone into putting their players in MS's system. Don't play along no updates for you.

They won't be receiving the persistent world update as far as I am aware because that requires the use of MS's dedicated servers. Which is what enables cross play.

CookTrain

This comes up every few hours and I don't understand where the disconnect is. The Better Together update is a shared codebase update. Sony has said they don't want that update because of the crossplay. Is it technically feasible to detach the rest of the stuff and provide that as it's own update? Of course. But when your update is to unify the codebase... why on Earth would you do that?

They already have 4J maintaining their Minecraft like before. They'll get some of the features as and when they provide them.

Cerium

This isn't a patch, this is basically the closest thing to Minecraft 2 we are ever likely to get. Switch and Xbox will be downloading entirely new clients built in a different engine (Bedrock) and a different codebase that will be shared with every other modern version.

Up until now the console editions were developed by 4J, which was a secondary studio formed to create and maintain these console ports. The new versions will be managed by Mojang directly and will have parity with PC and mobile.

Crossplay, dedicated servers, the community marketplace, and realms support are all baked into this new version. To bring the Bedrock Engine version of the game to PS4 in a way that accommodates Sony's stance on crossplay, you would need to tear into the code and rip all of that stuff out. This is a nontrivial effort, all to create a version of the update that is missing its core features.

They could theoretically do this, but why the fuck should anyone reasonably expect them to?
If you want to educate yourself further.

I wasn't on GAF back then, but what made Sony decide to get rid of Ps3's boomerang controllers?

$$$

what made Sony decide to put rumble back in Sixaxis?

$$$

what made sucker punch redesign cole for Infamous 2?

$$$

what made bioware come out with an extended cut to Me3?

$$$

what made mS do the xbox 180?

$$$

what made Sony decide to put Spiderman in the MCU?

$$$

what made ND come out and address the Nadine Ross controversy in Uc4?

$$$

See a pattern here? If you feel this upset and violated over this, why not at he very least speak with your wallet and sell your PS4 and support the competition who seem to share your view because right now Sony doesn't feel the same way that you do about this and it's all because of $$$. So one thing you can do is hit their bottom line. If enough people do that, then maybe Sony might change their mind.

Head.spawn

I got some bad news for you....

but what I am saying is that even though ps4 has been outselling xbox1 by a good margin minecraft was still selling better on xbox1, heck until may of last year the 360 version was still selling more than anything else. since then ps4 took june, and after that NPD moved to their new style and removed sku rankings. if it was already selling worse than every other service it might not be worth the effort.

First off, sales are sales. I guarantee that Minecraft PS4 sells and retains an active player base better than 80% of the games released on their platform. But it wouldn't matter even if it was 50%. Minecraft is like freaking tetris. There will always be a crowd for it.

Secondly, what effort are you talking about? What backbreaking work do you think that Sony has to go through in order to have this?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
jim ryan should never be near the media again this comment along with his backwards comp comment, he is clearly a moron

Moneal

First off, sales are sales. I guarantee that Minecraft PS4 sells and retains an active player base better than 80% of the games released on their platform. But it wouldn't matter even if it was 50%. Minecraft is like freaking tetris. There will always be a crowd for it.

Secondly, what effort are you talking about? What backbreaking work do you think that Sony has to go through in order to have this?

the effort of getting into a deal you don't like, and we don't know what would have to be done by sony to get this to work.

VanWinkle

Sony is 100% looking like the bad guy here. And rightfully so. What a terrible excuse. If you're going to make up something that dumb, just don't say anything at all.

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

See a pattern here? If you feel this upset and violated over this, why not at he very least speak with your wallet and sell your PS4 and support the competition who seem to share your view because right now Sony doesn't feel the same way that you do about this and it's all because of $$$. So one thing you can do is hit their bottom line. If enough people do that, then maybe Sony might change their mind.

Yeah, but at that point we wouldn't care because we sold our PlayStations. I'd rather complain a whole lot now, while there is still time for Sony to change their position, than deal with the hassle of moving everything to Xbox. That said, if they don't reevaluate their decision, I am prepared to walk.

mikey1123

Why would Sony the market leader, let their players on the second place condone servers? Sony is smart by blocking this play from Microsoft.

Nanashrew

Banned

You may want to lay down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=u02Z_sUTRQc

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocket-league-nintendo-switch-holiday-2017/

Rocket League will also support all of Nintendo Switch’s play modes, including TV Mode (docked), Tabletop Mode, Handheld Mode, and both Online and Local Multiplayer. Online Multiplayer supports up to eight players, and Cross-Network play will be supported as well, allowing Switch players to hit the field with players on Steam and Xbox One.

Hattori

Banned
$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

$$$

voting with wallets is a long process, internet protests gets more attention and gets faster results.

MS built the new version specifically for their dedicated servers. great business decision on their part, bully everyone into putting their players in MS's system. Don't play along no updates for you.

Yes, big bad MS bullied Nintendo, Google, Apple into accepting crossplay...

giphy.gif

Top Bottom