• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Xbone name "going to stick"; though isn't the most flattering name

Liamario

Banned
Do you think MS realise the position they're in right now; or are they still in denial about how bad it is.
I imagine they fully realise the disaster that would have unfolded if they hadn't done all those 180°s

I always thought the Xbox name was weird. I picture old rich guys in a meeting room staring at a big black box and can't think of a name. One man gets a stroke of genius, picks up a green marker, marks an X on the top of the box, and yells out "Xbox!"

DirectX Box

SHADES

To be honest I don't think its actually a bad nickname as fas as consoles go, much better than Xbox 180 as IMO that refers to the policy changes it they had to make & people don't draw a line under it.

It's probably better to just accept XBone & move on, maybe make light of it then people won't be so derogatory towards it, maybe use it in some funny PR like say using Riley from Ghosts with the Slogan "I love my XBone" etc, the public would see the humour, accept it and move on.

Sydle

I always thought the Xbox name was weird. I picture old rich guys in a meeting room staring at a big black box and can't think of a name. One man gets a stroke of genius, picks up a green marker, marks an X on the top of the box, and yells out "Xbox!"

It was a project name that stuck, based on Direct X, so in a way you're kind of right.

Malvolio

I think it's clear they were blinded by the desire to have people call it "The One" like it was Neo's console of choice or something.

pelican

See this more like it. Accept it for what it is, and live with it. It is just a nick name on gaming forums. Nothing which will transfer over to mainstream buyers.

Unlike the approach from the insufferable buffoon Nelson with his "this is disrespectful" statement.

UNCMark

Banned
Do you think MS realise the position they're in right now; or are they still in denial about how bad it is.
I imagine they fully realise the disaster that would have unfolded if they hadn't done all those 180°s

Did you miss the 180s and the free pack-ins for Europe? They've known for quite some time.

Hattori

Banned
ComcastX1610.jpg

USC-fan

Banned
I dont see xbone as a bad thing. They should released xbone dog treats.

Xbox one just a very bad name. We already had a xbox one.

Copenap

That abbreviation is just so convenient but I'm always reluctant to use it because people favoring the "Xbone" might assume I'm biased while I just want to use the word that flows the best written and spoken out, so I actually hope the majority will just accept it and we're able to use it without a negative ring to it.

so no one will hate you no more if you call it the Xbone....phew was getting tired writing the long Xbox One took to much time instead of having a quick nickname like PS4, N64, 360, etc...

Moar like X-Groan
Moar like X-Loan(cuz its expensive)
Moar like X-...Noone
Moar like X-...uh...drone? because The Man will watch you through kinect and then drone strike your house?

the possibilities are endless.

I forget, was Xbone started here? I recall someone mentioning it early on before it really caught on and within a couple of days it was spreading like wildfire.

Liamario

Banned
Did you miss the 180s and the free pack-ins for Europe? They've known for quite some time.

Of course I did, but I wonder if they are still putting a positive spin on things internally. I would love to have seen what was going on when they saw the reactions to the DRM.

webrunner

I'm surprised they didn't think that was a possibility. Real humans don't say Sony Computer Entertainment's PLAYSTAITON 3 Computer Entertainment System, or the all-in-one Entertainment System from Microsoft, Xbox One. They form the most convenient short hand they can using the full name.

Riff on Xbox One...
XB1
XBO
XOne
XBone
Xbox 1
One
X1
MS1
(not including stuff like 180 that actually get into functionality)

Riff on Wii U:
Wii
Wii U
U
NWU
WU
Wu/woo
W2
Wii 2

Riff on Playstation 4:
Playstation 4
PS4
P4
Play4
PlayS4
PSX4
PS

This isn't rocket science to iterate through. And then from there you try to construct verbs, adjectives, etc and use them in different sentences. Doesn't at all surprise me that the XBone spelling caught on, given the easy pronunciation and jokes.

I personally like "Xune"

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I don't really understand why it's happened. XBO seems like the best thing to write, and out-loud just saying 'Xbox' isn't going to confuse people, since everyone calls the current system 'the three-sixty'.
The XBO sounds like an "As Seen on TV" exercise product.

Hattori

Banned
Remember the speculation that this would be subsidized with cable providers and would end up costing a small amount each month? Microsoft should have jumped on that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea since their vision for the Xbox One is dependent on the cable-owning demographic.

Iacobellis

It wouldn't be a bad idea since their vision for the Xbox One is dependent on the cable-owning demographic.

Right? If the system was like a $200 upfront fee and then required to be paid off in 18 months, Microsoft could have been making a killing.

UNCMark

Banned
Of course I did, but I wonder if they are still putting a positive spin on things internally. I would love to have seen what was going on when they saw the reactions to the DRM.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager that they didn't pay much attention to the forum whining. It wasn't until they saw the awful pre-order numbers compared to the PS4 when it finally hit them that they've made a big mistake. I imagine right now there's many inside Microsoft wishing they hadn't bet so much on Kinect at the expense of power.

MaulerX

To get "boned" has the connotation of getting fucked in an uncomfortable place...no, not in the back of Volkswagen.

Boner carries the meaning of an erection, or worse it also means "huge mistake".

But to get (X)boned, don't you have to be on all your (PS)fours?

Xbox One itself, is a worse name.

I wish they kept the rumored "Infinity." It harkens back to the time when consoles had cool names like Genesis.

At least the rumors of the Wii U being called "Stream" didn't end up happening. They might as well have just called it the "Nintendo Golden Shower".

Nintendo Stream would have been a better than Wii U because it atleast distingushes the system enough as being a new system and product.

As for xbone, it's obvious why they didn't see the nickname. They probably never had to type out Xbox One over and over again like us forum/twiiter posters do. You'll try to find clever shorthand forms and xbone is such an easy one.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Maybe they could own it with a cringeworthy crappy-yet-ironic jingle, like an over-the-top bad ad.

"The X-bone's connected to the..."

"Fun bone!" all the kids say

and then the CoD dog runs by all happy as can be and snatches it up.

(it's so terrible but I could see that catching on, lol)

I'm surprised they didn't think that was a possibility. Real humans don't say Sony Computer Entertainment's PLAYSTAITON 3 Computer Entertainment System, or the all-in-one Entertainment System from Microsoft, Xbox One. They form the most convenient short hand they can using the full name.

Riff on Xbox One...
XB1
XBO
XOne
XBone
Xbox 1
One
X1
MS1
(not including stuff like 180 that actually get into functionality)

Riff on Wii U:
Wii
Wii U
U
NWU
WU
Wu/woo
W2
Wii 2

Riff on Playstation 4:
Playstation 4
PS4
P4
Play4
PlayS4
PSX4
PS

This isn't rocket science to iterate through. And then from there you try to construct verbs, adjectives, etc and use them in different sentences. Doesn't at all surprise me that the XBone spelling caught on, given the easy pronunciation and jokes.

My thought is that they hoped people would call it "The One" just like some people call Xbox 360 "The 360". They focused on that and it just backfired on them. Of course, this is all speculation.

avaya

They are aware. They aren't stupid.

DBT85

Acceptance at last.

It was even more glaring when you look at that documentation which told you exactly how to talk about the xbone. Do this, don't do this.

SmokyDave

Dude, if it wasn't going to stick, you wouldn't be discussing it.

I think it's a cool name. Sounds affectionate, like a dopey pet Labrador.

Well it's not like people actually liked the name xbox one! As hard as wii u was to hear xbox one still ruins conversations when every I'm talking about the original.

Top Bottom