• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Philips asking for damages, ban on sale of Wii U due to patent infringements

Actually, it seems Philips developed something, put it in a drawer for more than a decade, noticed Nintendo had success with the Wiimote, and copied it, motion sensors and all, using their old tech as a base. Philips even used Wiimote comparison to market uWand.

So is the ban an effort to help control the Market of their Wii-clone? The one that will probably be loaded with low quality "casual" games. Seems like an incredibly shitty thing to do. Sure is protecting innovation.

The Move doesn't contain a camera. The patent is specifically describing a user interface system with the inclusion of a camera (which it defines very broadly) in a pointing device, not working in unison with a pointing device.
Seems like an awfully abstract thing to patent.

Can I just patent a device that controls any other electronic device in the house (without giving more information than a shoddy paint-drawing) and sue anyone that makes anything like that?
Should be pretty bad business, because I then now patent flying cars, hyper speed airplanes, hoverboards and a sugary drink that everyone will love someday
If you actually had a method for any of those things and had enough to show the conceptual viability you could probably patent them. Whatever you describe would also need to be non-obvious, have some manner of utility, and have enough novelty.

test_account

XP-39C²
So is the ban an effort to help control the Market of their Wii-clone? The one that will probably be loaded with low quality "casual" games. Seems like an incredibly shitty thing to do. Sure is protecting innovation.
It seems that Phillips began working on iWand in 1999. And from what i understand, Uwand is more of a universal remote and not directly linked to gaming. I dont think its a Wii-clone based on those things.

Martian

If you actually had a method for any of those things and had enough to show the conceptual viability you could probably patent them. Whatever you describe would also need to be non-obvious, have some manner of utility, and have enough novelty.

Hmm, well aren't there patterns for perpetua mobile? How do you make a patent for that, if you have to explain how it will work? Can't you just say something along the lines of: Its going to be a perpetuum mobile that works via weight-movement.

Phillips aren't patent trolls, but their actions in this specific case are very similar to the modus operandi of patent trolls. Instead of approaching Nintendo right at the beginning as they should have, they failed to act on the patents and instead waited until the Wii had been on sale for many years and had proven itself successful and profitmaking.

Right at the beginning?? When? EP1573498 was granted on 14 December 2011. Phillips approached Nintendo to agree a licensing deal in 2011. You can only really license your patent after it's granted (why would Nintendo pay for a license when they don't know what will eventually be granted), so they literally did it as soon as possible.

Yes, the European Patent Office can take a long time to grant patents. It's frustrating, and I'd certainly be in favour of them speeding up the process.

Now granted, unlike true patent trolls they have at least tried to commercialize these patents. However I think we can agree that they've really made only a token effort to leverage these two patents themselves with the uWand. Furthermore, given when that device was announced to the public, it's safe to say they only bothered to make that effort after their initial efforts to extort money from Nintendo over these patents failed.

Making an actual product seems more than a "token" effort to me. It's not exactly cheap. And suing someone for infringement of your patent is not "extortion" btw.

I just don't see how the actions of Phillips here are the actions of a company acting in good faith.

How are they not acting in good faith? They have a granted patent for an invention and are due recompense. They even tried to settle out of court initially, which they didn't need to do - sounds like good faith to me.

The only thing i get from this is that the patent system is really broken beyond fixing.

How? There are so many posts like this that never go into any more detail.

And again, no one here has even read the decision (if they have, please link). You're going to cite this case, of all cases, as evidence that the patent system is broken? smh

Holy shit. They filed for that patent in October 2003 @_@

uk patent office plz

It's the European Patent Office's fault. The UK IPO is usually much quicker than the EPO.

Edit:

Just saw this and don't want to double post

Hmm, well aren't there patterns for perpetua mobile? How do you make a patent for that, if you have to explain how it will work? Can't you just say something along the lines of: Its going to be a perpetuum mobile that works via weight-movement.

No, there aren't. People do file them from time to time (I remember seeing one when I was an Examiner). The guidance in the Manual of Patent Practice is to reject inventions operating "contrary to well-established physical laws" as lacking industrial applicability. You could probably also reject a perpetual motion device as lacking a sufficient disclosure (as no-one would be able to replicate it from the specification).

Jintor

So did Ninty not bother to try to patent whatever equiv tech was in their WiiMotes at all? Anyone got a link to this UK case?

Is the technical aspects of operation disclosed when the application is received or when the patent is granted?

This seems to be the patent in question.

Filed in 2009, issued on Sept. 17th, 2013.

YCEQOqz.png

Don't really know what to make of it. The patent basically claims that its a universal remote.

2009? Is that Ninty or Phillips patent? Thought the Wii launched in 2006.

scakko84

How? There are so many posts like this that never go into any more detail.

let's put things clear before we take a dive into religion wars: I, by no means, said that the patent system is broken beyond repair because nintendo or philips are involved.

My opinion about the patent system are super-partes and it's by no mean a religion/brand war.

What i mean by broken is that every company (Nintendo, Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony...) has huge portfolios of pretty much very abstract patents that could be applied probably even to breathing air (hyperbole here) and are used as guns to fight wars against competitiveness.

Dusty patents from ancient times come to life just to demand money from the people that actually implemented the real thing instead of keeping a filed patent in a dark corner "just 'cause" for 10 years.

The patent system was created for protecting innovation & innovators, but now is used as a mean against innovation because every time you create something you should worry about the thousands of guys/companies that filed a super-generic patent 10 years ago, that is most likely to be brougjt out of the pit when they see that you as a company have actually found a way to make profitable an idea that resembles at some point what they thought very genericly 10 years before.

2009? Is that Ninty or Phillips patent? Thought the Wii launched in 2006.

It's a Phillips patent

And I'm not sure where you're getting this "Patent was filed after the Wii was launched". The Phillips patents in question are EP0808484 and EP1573498, which were filed in 1995 and 2002 repectively.

Trust me, if Nintendo had a piece of evidence as compelling as "we had our product on shop shelves before Phillips filed their patent application", it would have been brought up in court.

Edit:

let's put things clear before we take a dive into religion wars: I, by no means, said that the patent system is broken beyond repair because nintendo or philips are involved.

My opinion about the patent system are super-partes and it's by no mean a religion/brand war.

Religion wars? I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I care about either of these companies: I really, really, don't.

What i mean by broken is that every company (Nintendo, Apple, Samsung, Nokia, Microsoft, Sony...) has huge portfolios of pretty much very abstract patents that could be applied probably even to breathing air (hyperbole here) and are used as guns to fight wars against competitiveness.

Dusty patents from ancient times come to life just to demand money from the people that actually implemented the real thing instead of keeping a filed patent in a dark corner "just 'cause" for 10 years.

The patent system was created for protecting innovation & innovators, but now is used as a mean against innovation because every time you create something you should worry about the thousands of guys/companies that filed a super-generic patent 10 years ago, that is most likely to be brougjt out of the pit when they see that you as a company have actually found a way to make profitable an idea that resembles at some point what they thought very genericly 10 years before.

Hi-tech companies tend to have large patent portfolios because they invent a lot of things, and rely on their innovations as their edge over the competition. So they protect their intellectual property.

And as for patents being a "means against innovation", the point people are missing is that if you come up with something that infringes a dusty patent from 10 years ago, it wasn't new anyway! So you weren't really innovating, even if you were unaware of the dusty old patent and came up with it yourself separately.

spekkeh

Banned
And as for patents being a "means against innovation", the point people are missing is that if you come up with something that infringes a dusty patent from 10 years ago, it wasn't new anyway! So you weren't really innovating, even if you were unaware of the dusty old patent and came up with it yourself separately.

There's a difference between invention and innovation. The patent system may boost invention (though I doubt it), but stifle innovation.

scakko84

The point people are missing is that if you come up with something that infringes a dusty patent from 10 years ago, it wasn't new anyway! So you weren't really innovating, even if you were unaware of the dusty old patent and came up with it yourself separately.

FTI (First to Invent) should trump, imho, FTF (First to File). I find the FITF (First Inventor to File) system a step in the right direction.

FTF is too prone to be abused for patent trolling.

Jintor

But if it wasn't being exploited, what was the practical effect of its innovation?

But if it wasn't being exploited, what was the practical effect of its innovation?

But in this case, it seems like it was being exploited with Philips' uWand product.

Even if it wasn't though, Philips demonstrated a novel and inventive solution to a technical problem. They made a contribution to the art. For that, they were granted a time-limited, territorially-limited monopoly, and Nintendo chose not to respect it.

This is all assuming that the patent should have been granted in the first place, and that Nintendo have infringed it. But I'm happy to give a presumption of validity to patents granted by the EPO, and a presume that the UK High Court has applied infringement tests correctly. Neither institution is infallible* - patents are revoked after grant, and High Court decisions are overturned by the Supreme Court. But until I see the decision myself, I'm going to assume they got it right.

*In fact, Colin Birss made this copyright decision a couple of years ago that I completely disagree with.

scakko84

But in this case, it seems like it was being exploited with Philips' uWand product.

Even if it wasn't though, Philips demonstrated a novel and inventive solution to a technical problem. They made a contribution to the art. For that, they were granted a time-limited, territorially-limited monopoly, and Nintendo chose not to respect it.

- The Philips patent has been filed in 2004
- Nintendo revealed the WiiMote at the TGS in 2005
- uWand was revealed in 2009 at IBC.
- Nintendo has been informed about the patent from Philips as i read:

36. Philips incorporates by reference each and every allegation set forth in this Complaint.
37. United States Letters Patent No. 8,537,231 (“the ’231 patent”) issued on September 17, 2013 to Gerhardus Engbertus Mekenkamp and Tim Dekker. A copy of the ’231 patent, entitled “User Interface System Based on Pointing Device” is attached hereto as Exhibit B.
38. Koninklijke Philips N.V. is the owner by assignment of the ’231 patent.
39. Philips provided actual notice of the ’231 patent to Nintendo no later than the filing date of this Complaint.
40. Nintendo has had actual knowledge of the ’231 patent no later than the filing date of this Complaint.
41. Nintendo has had actual knowledge of its infringement of the ’231 patent no later than the filing date of this Complaint.
42. Upon information and belief, Nintendo has directly infringed, induced infringement of, and contributed to infringement of one or more claims of the ’231 patent, both literally and under the doctrine of equivalents, by making, using, selling, offering for sale, and importing HCI products within the United States.

Dated: May 14, 2014
source

I pity the current patent system because it grants power to the company that filed first the idea and sat on that same idea for 8 or more years before publicly showing something that makes use of it.

But again, all of this is just my personal opinion on the patent system, i would prefer to grant power to the party that actually built & released something first than to the party that first had the idea and sat on it for years.

Ranger X

That lawsuit won't fly. All of those aspects will weight against Phillips:

1- 8 years to react
2- Could be applied to many universal remote systems
3- Not even using it or competing the same market as Nintendo

They will have a hard time justifying damages and the ambiguous nature of the patent will make it hard to directly apply to Wii Remote.

Jintor

This is all assuming that the patent should have been granted in the first place, and that Nintendo have infringed it. But I'm happy to give a presumption of validity to patents granted by the EPO, and a presume that the UK High Court has applied infringement tests correctly. Neither institution is infallible* - patents are revoked after grant, and High Court decisions are overturned by the Supreme Court. But until I see the decision myself, I'm going to assume they got it right.

*In fact, Colin Birss made this copyright decision a couple of years ago that I completely disagree with.

Well, I was talking about your hypothetical 'tossed in a drawer' idea, but nevermind.

Here's what I don't grasp at the moment. Assuming of course that the UK HC made the correct decision, that the patent was correctly granted, etc, etc: how can it be that Nintendo can go ahead and sell a product which involved technology that at the time was patent pending to another company? Is this case solely with sales post-patent granting in '11? Given how quickly the software/hardware market moves, would it have been appropriately legally cautious for Nintendo - having presumably become aware of the Phillips patent application post 2004 but pre Wii launch - to have simply abandoned the technology merely because the Phillips patent was in registration limbo?

1- 8 years to react

They will have a hard time justifying damages and the ambiguous nature of the patent will make it hard to directly apply to Wii Remote.

1- Philips contacted Nintendo as soon as their patent was infringed, i.e. upon grant of the patent in 2011.
2- Yes, it could. But I don't see why this is relevant when it comes to the question of Nintendo infringing.
3- There's no requirement for the patentee to make use of their patent themselves.

As regards "justifying damages", they don't have to do that. The UK Patents Act allows a patentee to bring a claim for an account of profits against an infringer, i.e. all that money you made infringing my patent, give it to me.

Edit: to clarify, I'm only talking about the UK High Court decision here.

This isn't actually the first time Philips have used this tactic. Apparently they did something similar a few years back when they sued LED manufacturers for patent infringement. Being an invention company it's not surprising that patent royalties constitute a large portion of their income. They already receive royalties from every DVD, CD and Blu Ray wold. It's pretty scummy, no matter what the law says. The letter of the law is simply just that. It's documentation. Provisional documentation, even. It in no way dictates ethics, and if tries to it does a very inadequate job of it.

Furthermore wouldn't this patent conflict with the Gyration licensing Nintendo uses in order to manufacture and sell the Wii mote?

1- 8 years to react

The uWand does show that Phillips has a stake in a market similar to the Wii's, no matter how hinky it is.

Laconic

Banned

Well said.

Looks like the ban has come into effect already, there's no Wii U section in any supermarkets near me.

Almost a funny joke, but really go look for real. Most Tesco and ASDA stores have huge Mario Kart displays. They made a big deal of dropping WiiU, but backpeddled once that MK money train came to town.

Krejlooc

Banned
The uWand does show that Phillips has a stake in a market similar to the Wii's, no matter how hinky it is.

Oh wow, I've been hanging onto a bunch of Gyration media remotes to get mouse pointer functionality out of a remote control form factor, but these uWands look awesome. Any idea when they'll release?

KooopaKid

Banned
1- Philips contacted Nintendo as soon as their patent was infringed, i.e. upon grant of the patent in 2011.
2- Yes, it could. But I don't see why this is relevant when it comes to the question of Nintendo infringing.
3- There's no requirement for the patentee to make use of their patent themselves.

As regards "justifying damages", they don't have to do that. The UK Patents Act allows a patentee to bring a claim for an account of profits against an infringer, i.e. all that money you made infringing my patent, give it to me.

This is where it's bullshit. Philips didn't loose anything because of the Wiimote. I don't think you should be allowed to patent high-level concepts. i.e: I'm going to patent a flying car, a exoskeleton and a dream-altering machine right now!

Krejlooc

Banned
Question : Why the Wiimote but not the PSmove? Are they different technologies or something?

The wiimote is an inside-out positional tracking system. The PSmove is an outside-in positional tracking system. Similar concepts, different execution.

Krejlooc

Banned
Thanks i get it now.

To clarify, both use IR LEDs, the difference is where the camera is mounted. It's inside the wiimote, looking at stationary landmarks, hence inside-out tracking. The move has a stationary camera outside the move, looking at moving LEDs, hence outside-in tracking. There are advantages and disadvantages of both (outside-in: no need to provide landmarks around room, but obfuscation of landmarks by body mass is probable, inside-out: less chance of obfuscation by body part coming between landmarks and camera, but need to place physical landmarks).

The Playstation Morpheus and Oculus Rift DK2 both are currently using outside-in positional tracking. Going forward, Oculus wants to use a "markerless" inside-out positional tracking system that'll be achieved by having an IR Laser sent through a prism to scatter trackable dots around the room similar to Kinect's laser sensor, without the need for the user to place landmarks themselves.

kmg90

Gotta love how vague these patents are.

They make okay TV's, audio equipment.

Philips still exists?

S¡mon;111988846 said:
Yeah, they used to be quite big in consumer electronics (but that, obviously, is no longer the case). They are still one of the biggest, though, when it comes to creating medical devices.

I legit had no idea Philips still existed beyond the beard shaver market.

Kta6sVo.gif

They make my electric toothbrush of which is like a vibrator of cleaning for my teeth....

jts

...hate me...
I was in the market to get a kit of Philips HUE lightbulbs, guess what?? NOT ANYMORE.

Philips, publicly apologise to Nintendo or kiss your business goodbye.

(I'm an expert)

Top Bottom