• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

LiK

No love for Pees'lubn Andistan'dhin, head monk of Tehm'pul Temple? Some of them were just so on the nose it's cringeworthy.

If you still don't get it:
Manov Mistree (Man of mystery)
Ahlbi Ur'gaid (I'll be your guide)
Tahrust Inmee (Trust in me)
Roger Reitinz (Roger Ratings)
Paht Roll (Patrol)

Also, Puhray Zeh'lot = Prays alot.

OMG, i only got one of those myself. thank you so much XD

I have no clue what the contradiction in the case 3 seance is. Like I was easily able to do the first couple of phases, and I'm pretty sure
it has something to do with the lanterns that I can now see more clearly
but I just don't know what to touch. I don't really want the answer given to me, just have to vent lol.

Jeffrey

yeah the case 3 seance stuff wrecked my brain too. It's extraordinarily picky about picking the right sequence and the right sense.

I really do hope they don't bring this mechanic back.

The absolute worse are when they reference it every other discussion which has to have a 3-4 second load time to boot up that seance sequence >.>"

Can't wait until AA games are on better hardware. 3DS is struggling for its ambitions lol.

Who'd thought that Ace Attorney out of all franchises is a graphical showpiece of a system, but here we are, with some of the best and most fleshed out animations in a game i've played this year.

Just finished Case 5 last night... I was left speechless. This IP is really strong, and is capable of really carrying itself into the future. I am happy to be a fan of this series and to mentally grow up with the characters over the years. Super pumped for the next installment of the series.

I absolutely love Patches from Case 4. Also not surprised Apollo stayed.

Ladekabel

Finished it a few days ago. Loved it. Ace Attorney series can do no wrong for me. Best part about case 5 was
Edgeworth getting angry about Plumed Punisher.

Baleoce

finished case 2

wtf I'm racist against Khura'inese now

Also is Nahyuta Sahdmadhi some kind of pun, because all I can see is
Needyouta Suckmadick

Just burst out laughing on the bus. Literally not going to be able to unsee that for the rest of the game xD

Bauer91

Started the Day 2 Trial in Episode 5.
I hope it'll have some nice twists I'm not expecting because for a while now I was under the impression that Rayfa is Dhurke's daughter and the queen was involved with the current murder and/or the one twenty three years ago... Oh and the missing servant is actually her sister in disguise. Hope I'm wrong and surprised instead.

mrmickfran

Official "Cornered" theme rankings:

AA1 > AA5 > AA4 > AA6 > AA3 > AA2

More shit puns:

Ba'leeb Inmee (Believe in Me)
Datz Are'bal (That's a Rebel)

ZeroX03

Banned
The more modern Pursuit themes are a bit too upbeat for my liking. Something like this for me. I don't know, hard to rank things.

AA4 > AA1 > AA3 > AAI > Layton > AA5 > DGS > AA6 > AAI2 > AA2

mrmickfran

Mine would look a bit more like this

AA1 > AAI2 > AA6 > AA4 > AAI > AA3 > VS Layton > AA5 > AA2

100% forgot about Layton. I think my brain just completely wiped it from memory.

The more modern Pursuit themes are a bit too upbeat for my liking. Something like this for me. I don't know, hard to rank things.

AA4 > AA1 > AA3 > AAI > Layton > AA5 > DGS > AA6 > AAI2 > AA2
AA4 has the most upbeat pursuit theme in the series lol

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll never understand the hatred for Dual Destinies.
Me neither. I liked it a lot. I've defended Phoenix's characterization before, but he acted exactly how I'd imagine someone who'd been playing piano for ten years to act in a courtroom. His "veteran experience" amounted to three years at best.

WolfeTone

I enjoyed case 4, though based on the reception of some here, it may be possible I had low expectations of it going in.
I didn't like how dumb Athena seemed, that kind of stuff is okay for an early trial but not a case 4. AA3 gave us Mia's first trial as a case 4 and she didn't seem nearly as incompetent as Athena did here. I also didn't like that Nahyuta was the prosecutor, he feels out of place and downright vindictive at the end when it's painfully obvious the defendant is innocent and he keeps saying "accept it and move on". I would have preferred if we saw Klaiver, Edgeworth or Franzisca (particularly this last one to give us a trial with two female lawyers). I realize that any of these other prosecutors would have required a great deal more backstory though but I think it would be have provided a more interesting dynamic.

sjay1994

Chapter 5 first half? spoilers:

God damn, that entire first trial made me keep going why is Pheonix defending this scum bag? Is this an imposter? Oh... wait. Did Maya get kidnapped again? They wouldn't do that again. They did it already in AA2

...They did it again. Kinda disappointed by that, but at least it seems to get resolved quickly.

Also, what I've seen in Case 5 so far makes Nahyuta a bit more interesting, however he is still probably the weakest prosecutor in the series imo.

My ratings would be

Godot > Blackquil > Gavin > Edgeworth > Fransiska > Nayhuta.

The Hermit

Ok, time for fhe new ranking:

PW3>1>2=5>4>6

Basically the strenghr of the game is how good or bad is the prossecutor.

And Nahyuta will probably be remebered as the worst prossecutor in the series.

Edit: gavin over Edgeworth? Why ?!

sjay1994

Also Case 2 fucked me.

I started playing the game at around 10pm, and finished Case 1 expecting it to only take 1 hour max, didn't expect it to take 3. So its 1 am and I say, "you know what. Lets just see what this case is about".

Oh.

Oh.

WHO IS THE DEFENDANT? OK, LOOKS LIKE I AM NOT SLEEPING TONIGHT.

So, my internal clock has been fucked this week.

WolfeTone

Edgeworth and Godot are the best prosecutors by far. I'd give the top spot to Edgeworth since he's so much more developed and his own spinoff. The rest of the prosecutors are all pretty close but Nahyuta is definitely on the bottom.

sjay1994

Ok, time for fhe new ranking:

PW3>1>2=5>4>6

Basically the strenghr of the game is how good or bad is the prossecutor.

And Nahyuta will probably be remebered as the worst prossecutor in the series.

Edit: gavin over Edgeworth? Why ?!

I always kinda feel like Edgeworth is like the Rival character, like a Ken, Gary, etc. To me he feels kinda vanilla despite him having the most lore and background to him. I like to rank the prosecutors based on the interactions in the court room.

And thats why I like Gavin more, its more fun interacting with him in the courtroom than I remember Edgeworth was in AA1.

Godot is still the god tier, with Fragrance of Dark Coffee

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's my latest ranking:

AA3 >= AAI2 > AA1 > AA6 > AA2 > AA5 > AA4 > AAI

Why I like AAI2 that much? Every case never felt disjointed nor did they feel like filler cases.

Stopdoor

In the end, I don't think any of them can top AA1 for me. It set the gold standard with an opening case that perfectly encapsulated the gameplay, with sweet music, had filler cases that weren't a big deal because at this point it was all fresh for you, and capped off with the most awesome twists and retribution when you seriously didn't see it coming. At this point, when every key type of player has been revealed as a villain, it becomes harder to surprise you.

Even better that the extra case was icing on the cake when it felt like it couldn't get any better.

Amani

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Friendly reminder: do NOT look up music until you have beaten the game. I think I spoiled some hype shit that happens in Case 5.

FUCK.

In the end, I don't think any of them can top AA1 for me. It set the gold standard with an opening case that perfectly encapsulated the gameplay, with sweet music, had filler cases that weren't a big deal because at this point it was all fresh for you, and capped off with the most awesome twists and retribution when you seriously didn't see it coming. At this point, when every key type of player has been revealed as a villain, it becomes harder to surprise you.

Even better that the extra case was icing on the cake when it felt like it couldn't get any better.
Next game needs to have a defense attorney working for Wright as the villain. It's the only way to flip this series on its head.

ZeroX03

Banned
Finished the game. Case 5 (really Case 6) was pretty good. I don't think it tops 2-4 or 3-5 though. Off to the spoiler thread!

The final, full length DLC case is out by the way.

Verelios

I always kinda feel like Edgeworth is like the Rival character, like a Ken, Gary, etc. To me he feels kinda vanilla despite him having the most lore and background to him. I like to rank the prosecutors based on the interactions in the court room.

And thats why I like Gavin more, its more fun interacting with him in the courtroom than I remember Edgeworth was in AA1.

Godot is still the god tier, with Fragrance of Dark Coffee
Oh, okay I understand that sentiment. My ranking would be more

Edgeworth>Godot>Manfred>Blackquill>Franzy>Gavin>Nay

Because I'm evaluating them based on how proficient they actually are at their job. Edgeworth is just, well, normal, without any outlandish quirks or outbursts, most of his deductions/objections are logical. Gavin on the other hand is the prosecutor equivalent of Santa Claus to the defense. I have no way of knowing how good he actually is at his job, he might be a top rank 'genius' since apparently he already figures out which witnesses are lying out their ass, but in AA4 he is ass at his job. Might as well have quit prosecution and joined his brothers firm (ironic because they're really fit for each other's professions) instead.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of the main/box art prosecutors, I think Nahyuta is easily the weakest. Again I'm not super confident in my rankings but I'd put it something like this:

Edgeworth > Godot > Blackquill > Franziska > Klavier > Barnham > Nahyuta

Not including Payne and one off surprise prosecutors. Even feels weird giving Edgeworth the #1 spot, that's more to due to his character growth throughout the series. If we're going on games where they're the primary prosecutor he's probably behind Blackquill.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Edgeworth > Blackquill > Gavin > Godot > Franziska > Nahyuta for me.

Edgeworth has a nice rivalry with Phoenix the other prosecutors never reached the heights of and even looks the part. He's the only normal guy in the prosecutor's office besides Lana Skye.

Blackquill has a great theme and feels like a straight up villain, even if his criminal persona is overplayed a bit (although what isn't overplayed in this series?) His hawk/samurai motif was really cool, too, as was his color scheme. Has the best call-outs in the series and also
the best reappearance in the series. He made Case 4 in this game.

I like Gavin for being so chill. I understand that this is why others don't like him, but he was a nice change of pace, I thought, and he fit the atmosphere of AA4. Everything felt lighter and more "dreamy" in that game and he fit the bill for that kind of world. I love his Objection pose and guitar riffs.

Godot was an X-men villain put into the AA universe, but that's also his appeal. He wrapped into the story better than most other prosecutors and had the most complete story arc to boot. He loses points for his constant "Trite" antagonism, which ends up feeling empty and pointless by the hundredth time.

Franziska has a nice design, and I like her pampered personality and how she breaks down under pressure, but the whip gimmick was dumb. Yes, that's a dumb reason to dislike a character, I know. Might not help she was attached to the weakest game in the series.

Nahyuta was fine, he was just... boring. Take the problem I had with Godot, amplify it times a hundred, and he ends up losing a lot of points.

In the end I don't dislike any of them, really, but they do fall into a clear ranking system.

Opa-Pa

One problem I have with the series that I wish they could fix once and for all is every prosecutor needlessly acting like a straight up villain when in reality they're a good person. It never feels like they are doing their work because they just want to win. It's especially glaring with Edgeworth in AA5 and it sucks because he's a reliable friend and has this "Let's find the truth together!!" mindset but then has no issue trying to send Athena to jail for the same charges he was given in the first game lol.

I know we're supposed to see it as that he and Phoenix have to do their best and eventually the truth will show itself but it just doesn't work for me. And actually I didn't mind it with Franziska because she's a child and immature so it makes sense, same with Godot as he had a grudge on Phoenix that blinded him, and obviously Von Karma was straight up evil.

Nahyuta overdoes it too and he's boring on top of it which makes him lame.

I don't remember if Klavier wasn't like this in AA4 but then again a lot of stuff in that game wasn't memorable for me (and I dislike him for different reasons too). Maybe I should revisit it.

I guess I just want a likeable prosecutor that's likeable all the time and doesn't try to feed their ego by playing with innocent people's futures.

All that being said: Godot > Blackquill > Franziska > Edgeworth > Barnham > Klavier > Nahyuta.

ZeroX03

Banned
Unless there's another adversarial presence in the court like a new judge, I don't see them changing the asshole prosecutor angle. You need an antagonistic force. Someone who is nice, reasonable and open with the truth doesn't make for compelling courtroom battles. Kind of apparent in post-AA1 Edgeworth and Klavier. 2-4 is probably the best case with a competing element that wasn't a prosecutor, but that's not something easily replicated.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Von Karma is the best prosecutor. I wish there were more straight up EVIL prosecutors in the series. They have a grudge and they're rude, but none have ever felt as intimidating as Von Karma felt in Case 5. I felt like there was NO way I was going to win that case at the start of it. He was such a force.

Von Karma is the best prosecutor. I wish there were more straight up EVIL prosecutors in the series. They have a grudge and they're rude, but none have ever felt as intimidating as Von Karma felt in Case 5. I felt like there was NO way I was going to win that case at the start of it. He was such a force.

he was scary looking

mrmickfran

YES, Von Karma was amazing. I honestly thought we were going to get that with Blackquill, but alas, :/

Or maybe a new secretly evil Judge, hmm...
How would they get the verdict though? :0

Stopdoor

YES, Von Karma was amazing. I honestly thought we were going to get that with Blackquill, but alas, :/

How would they get the verdict though? :0

Like AA6,
Queen rewriting laws and showing off her power was close to it, if they did it I'd assume it would be something the Judge would be hiding his secret motives until near the end and possibly usurped, I'm sure there's ways they could get creative!

Top Bottom